Tides

• 3 Replies
Tides
« on: November 10, 2019, 03:33:03 AM »
Enjoying a beautiful sunrise on the beach this morning.  All my observations of the sunrise tell me that the Earth is round and rotating; That model, fits perfectly with what I am seeing. 
But, there are other observations that I can make here. I can go to a website and find the exact time for high and low tide.  The calculations are all based on the Earth and moon being spheres, and the positions of the two relative to each other.  I can see plainly that the predicted times for high and low tide are correct.
With a flat Earth model, how can these tides be predicted, and in fact, how do these tides happen at all?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Tides
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 04:51:19 AM »
Enjoying a beautiful sunrise on the beach this morning.  All my observations of the sunrise tell me that the Earth is round and rotating; That model, fits perfectly with what I am seeing. 
But, there are other observations that I can make here. I can go to a website and find the exact time for high and low tide.  The calculations are all based on the Earth and moon being spheres, and the positions of the two relative to each other.  I can see plainly that the predicted times for high and low tide are correct.
With a flat Earth model, how can these tides be predicted, and in fact, how do these tides happen at all?
I might ask "With a Globe Earth model, how can these tides be predicted?" Because it's a case of "Here be dragons" as the old mapmakers used to write.
The question, "With a Globe Earth model, what causes these tides?" is not too hard but . . . . !
This might be of interest Science Alert: Here's What Everyone Gets Wrong About The Physics of Tides .

But it is a very interesting question.

Shifter

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 05:58:07 AM »
I might ask "With a Globe Earth model, how can these tides be predicted?" Because it's a case of "Here be dragons" as the old mapmakers used to write.
The question, "With a Globe Earth model, what causes these tides?" is not too hard but . . . . !
This might be of interest Science Alert: Here's What Everyone Gets Wrong About The Physics of Tides .

I miss Gabe as the presenter of PBS SpaceTime....  :( Well at least his replacement is an Aussie  8)

Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

Werenasa XXII - Register here https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=86459.0

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 11:49:01 AM »

I miss Gabe as the presenter of PBS SpaceTime....  :( Well at least his replacement is an Aussie  8)
Such is the ebb and flow of our lives ;).
It's so easy to say that the gravitation of the moon and sun cause the tides - then I get an eMail from Quora.com".
"Can you answer Kristy Combs's question:
Why does high tide not occur when the moon and sun are directly overhead?" How do you answer that briefly?"

This one might not be so tricky ;D.
"Kaushik Domadiya requested your answer:
If the moon revolves around the Earth due to gravity, then why don't we move if we are also gravitationally facing it?"