Earth’s alleged 25,000 mile circumference never verified and documented.

• 80 Replies

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
Re: Earth’s alleged 25,000 mile circumference never verified and documented.
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2019, 09:12:22 PM »
What is the verified surface curvature over the center of South Louisiana, who documented it and does it conform to a sphere with a 25,000 mile circumference?

Yes, you are.

I'm not your babysitter or common sense teacher.

Have a nice evening!
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2019, 09:27:52 PM »
You don't know what you're talking about. That elevation map does not include circumference measurements.
Why should it?

Exactly. That elevation map has nothing to do with circumference measurements
That is unless you count the longitude markings.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Macarios

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2019, 09:30:28 PM »
What is the verified surface curvature over the center of South Louisiana, who documented it and does it conform to a sphere with a 25,000 mile circumference?

How can elevations (vertical distances) from sea level show if the sea level itself is curved or not?

Are you still refusing to learn what is DATUM?

It is confirmed by Datum definitions, including:
NAD 27 CONUS - North American Datum of 1927 for the Continental United States (Common on older USGS maps)
NAD 83 – North American Datum of 1983 (Used on most newer USGS maps)
WGS 84 – World Geodetic System of 1984 (The default datum used by the GPS system)

I believe the elevations in the map you posted were measured relative to NAD 83.

Now:

From Vinton, LA to Slidell, LA is 367 km, which is 198 nautical miles.
198 / 60 = 3.3
The curvature at that distance is 3.3 degrees.

Lafayette is "not far" from the center of that arc.
(Actually 150 km from Vinton and 217 from Slidell.)
The city is some 11 meters above the elevation at which "the sea would be if the land mass was removed".
The local land elevation says nothing about the shape of it, but the datum itself does.

I repeat:
Learn what is DATUM, please.

BTW, if 3.3 degrees is 367 km, then 360 degrees is
367 / 3.3 x 360 = 40 036 km, which is 24 878 statute miles (0.5% less than 25 000 miles).

Injecting your theory of elevation being measured from “Sea Curve” into an elevation map derived from Mean sea level does not verify how much alleged (X amount in feet) curvature bulge is over southern Louisiana.

According to an elevation map, a line drawn over the top of 10’ elevation markers 10 feet apart from 1 mile to 25,000 miles would reveal a horizontal line.

Learn what Level and horizontal really mean and don't make me repeat myself.

Next….

BTW.... Natural Geographic verifies elevation is measured from Sea "Level" is not measured from your imaginary sea curve or sea  circumference.

Are you skipping basic knowledge of datum deliberately?
Sea Level IS curved with the planet.
Semantics won't flatten it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:33:22 PM by Macarios »
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Plat Terra

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2019, 09:37:50 PM »

How can elevations (vertical distances) from sea level show if the sea level itself is curved or not?

NAD 27 CONUS - North American Datum of 1927 for the Continental United States (Common on older USGS maps)
WGS 84 – World Geodetic System of 1984 (The default datum used by the GPS system)

I believe the elevations in the map you posted were measured relative to NAD 83.

Now:

198 / 60 = 3.3

The city is some 11 meters above the elevation at which "the sea would be if the land mass was removed".
The local land elevation says nothing about the shape of it, but the datum itself does.

I repeat:

367 / 3.3 x 360 = 40 036 km, which is 24 878 statute miles (0.5% less than 25 000 miles).

Injecting your theory of elevation being measured from “Sea Curve” into an elevation map derived from Mean sea level does not verify how much alleged (X amount in feet) curvature bulge is over southern Louisiana.

According to an elevation map, a line drawn over the top of 10’ elevation markers 10 feet apart from 1 mile to 25,000 miles would reveal a horizontal line.

Next….

BTW.... Natural Geographic verifies elevation is measured from Sea "Level" is not measured from your imaginary sea curve or sea  circumference.

The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2019, 11:17:47 PM »

How so? Please demonstrate.

JackBlack

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2019, 11:23:56 PM »
If you don't want to keep repeating yourself, then stop repeating the same lies and actually learn what level means.
Sea level doesn't mean flat.

Natural Geographic verifies elevation is measured from Sea "Level"
Yes, not sea flat. Sea level. Big difference.

Cherry picking a single definition and ignoring the others doesn't help your case.
Here are some other definitions:
a height or distance from the ground or another stated or understood base.
a position on a scale of amount, quantity, extent, or quality.
a line or surface that cuts perpendicularly all plumb lines that it meets and hence would everywhere coincide with a surface of still water
the magnitude of a quantity considered in relation to an arbitrary reference value

at the same height as someone or something else.
having the same relative position; not in front of or behind.
having no part higher than another : conforming to the curvature of the liquid parts of the earth's surface
even or unvarying in height
being a surface perpendicular to all lines of force in a field of force : EQUIPOTENTIAL

Also, you are yet to provide anything to justify your claims that curvature is missing.
Point C and D would be at the same height (above sea level) as points A, B, E and F.

Just who has measured Florida and found that curvature to be missing?

You don't know what you're talking about. That elevation map has nothing to do with circumference measurements.
No, it has everything to do with it.
If you don't account for the curvature of Earth in the elevation measurements you will produce an incorrect map.

No it wont. According to an actual elevation map, which is referenced to a particular datum, a line drawn over elevation markers will trace out the datum, but offset, not a horizontal line.

Now how about you stop asserting such childish nonsense and start trying to back up your claims.

rvlvr

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2019, 11:34:54 PM »
Now, now. I am sure he would, if he could.

mak3m

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2019, 12:13:00 AM »

Again Plat Error how many times does this need explaining to you.

Learn the difference between elevation and curvature, before you start throwing the moron accusations around.
You have to learn to reply without quoting a long previous answer.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2019, 02:00:51 AM »
I assume that you mean "National Geographic" not "Natural Geographic ::)".
You seem to believe what the "National Geographic" says about "sea-level" so please read this:

Quote from:  RICHARD A. LOVETT
New Gravity Map Reveals Lumpy Earth

By capturing the planet's gravity rather than its physical appearance, the geoid shows the shape that mean sea level would have if it could somehow be extended over the entire surface of the globe, said John Wahr, a geophysicist at the University of Colorado.

"Basically, when people say Denver is 5,280 feet [1,609 meters] above sea level, what they mean is that it's 5,280 feet above the geoid," Wahr said by email.
And what is this "geoid"? That is described in:
What is a Geoid? Why do we use it and where does its shape come from?

Contrast of the Geoid model with an Ellipsoid and cross-section of the Earth's surface. (Public domain.)

A geoid is the irregular-shaped “ball” that scientists use to more accurately calculate depths of earthquakes, or any other deep object beneath the earth’s surface. Currently, we use the “WGS84” version (World Geodetic System of 1984).

If Earth were a perfect sphere, calculations of depth and distances would be easy because we know the equations for those calculations on a sphere. However, the Earth more closely approximates an ellipsoid, which is what a ball looks like if you sit on it. Ellipsoid calculations aren’t as easy as spherical calculations, but they’re still well-known and do-able. Be that as it may, we all know that the earth is not really an ellipsoid because there are oceans, and mountains, and valleys, and many other features that are not part of an ellipsoid.
The geoid is an imaginary sea level surface that undulates (has a wavy surface) over all of the earth; it isn’t just for the oceanic areas, it also extends through the land masses.

You can generalize the relationship between the ellipsoid, the geoid, and the actual shape of the earth with this:

geoid + ellipsoid = Earth

Further details about the geoid can be found at:

NOAA - What is the Geoid?

Please carefully note this "the geoid shows the shape that mean sea level would have if it could somehow be extended over the entire surface of the globe".

This is from the National Geographic that you claim "verifies elevation is measured from Sea "Level" is not measured from your imaginary sea curve or sea  circumference".

Care to reconsider your definition of "mean sea-level"?

Plat Terra

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2019, 10:11:01 AM »
No one searching for truth is buying the Globie Earth BS here.  O0 It's easy to see you cannot prove Earth is a sphere. You're just a bunch of professional deniers and want revenge because we have obliterated your beloved fantasy.  C:-)

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=60834.msg2213261#msg2213261

Even young people are seeing the lies. Your profession will dwindle away soon.

Gaming YT Channel "Asmongold" (325K Subscribers) Did A Real Time Flat Earth Poll...Result? Priceless

Have a nice day, Globies.  ;)

PS, a great number of Globies have accepted defeat and are continuing to do so at record numbers. Plat Terra

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:36:48 AM by Plat Terra »

rvlvr

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2019, 10:15:35 AM »
I am still quite confident the Earth will be round the day they put you six feet under.

Sorry to say that, but the magic 8-ball is pretty adamant.

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2019, 10:24:13 AM »
No one searching for truth is buying the Globie Earth BS here.  O0 It's easy to see you cannot prove Earth is a sphere. You're just are professional deniers and want revenge because we have obliterated your beloved fantasy.  C:-)

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=60834.msg2213261#msg2213261

Gaming YT Channel "Asmongold" (325K Subscribers) Did A Real Time Flat Earth Poll...Result? Priceless

PS, a great number of Globies have accepted defeat and are continuing to do so at record numbers. Plat Terra

We can prove Earth is a sphere and it has already been shown to you. Your choosing to be blind and ignoring everything that is told does not change that. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

JackBlack

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2019, 12:20:41 PM »
No one searching for truth is buying the Globie Earth BS here.
That's right, because it isn't BS.
Those searching for the truth have typically already accepted the FACT that Earth is round.

It's easy to see you cannot prove Earth is a sphere.
When you see what you want to see, and ignore what you don't, it is easy to see anything.

But don't worry, those actually wanting the truth can see just how easy it is to show Earth is round, and see that FEers like you have nothing.

Really?
I am yet to see any.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2019, 01:50:34 PM »

Actually, it seems that the opposite is true. YT interest seemed to have jumped the shark back in 2017 and has been steadily trending downward ever since:

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2019, 02:33:20 PM »
If I lived in Ushuaia, Argentina and watched the Sun rise this morning from the Southeast and set in the Southwest this evening, I would have a very difficult time believing that the Earth was flat.
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2019, 02:56:52 PM »
No one searching for truth is buying the Globie Earth BS here.  O0 It's easy to see you cannot prove Earth is a sphere. You're just a bunch of professional deniers and want revenge because we have obliterated your beloved fantasy.  C:-)

Whenever anyone looks at your supremely stupid avatar, they are looking at bullshit. Whenever anyone reads your ridiculously stupid posts, they are reading bullshit. Whenever anyone watches your agonizingly stupid YouTube videos, all about swinging gates, and fancy views from your drone above your decrepit caravan, they are viewing bullshit. Where did the bull shit you this time, plat tera?  O0

Try proving the earth is flat, genius. You've only failed upteen thousands of times. It's ironic that for you to come back from your last defeat, means you must have found your balls again.

Don't worry, plat tera, you'll get your balls flattened again, the way you like them. Open up your maple syrup, a couple of pancakes are about to fill your undies, then you can run away and hide for another few months. It will give you more time to play with your swinging gates.  ;D

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2019, 02:59:51 PM »
Pull the other one, where is there evidence for a flat Earth? All you ever show is complete inability to understand the Globe.
Your fantasy never existed. No modern flat earth "model" can logically explain even the simplest observations like sunrises and sunsets.

Quote from: Plat Terra
Just more useless meaningless memes.

So, uneducated young folk swallow your garbage!
What does "your profession will dwindle away soon" mean? Pigs might fly long before the earth is declared flat!

Sorry to disappoint you but matters of fact like the known shape of the earth are not decided by any on-line poll.

Really?  Where is your evidence for that silly claim.

Sorry, I forgot! You don't need evidence for all your silly claims.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2019, 03:10:18 PM »
And yet none of these "truth searchers" have been able to produce a flat earth model that has anywhere near the predictive power of the Globie Earth model.  I wonder why that's the case.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Macarios

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2019, 06:02:06 PM »

Now:

198 / 60 = 3.3

I repeat:

Next….

Yes, and it will follow the curvature of the datum.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2019, 08:26:11 PM »
How was that photograph of Florida taken?

Maybe a balloon satellite that can circle above the Earth on a plane. NASA has been using this tech for decades. To get higher, they even launch them off of rockets.

You think a ballon 30 miles up can give you a view like that?

How desperate are you?

Depends on the lens used.
Are you trying to convince us or yourself that a camera 30 miles up can take that picture?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2019, 11:04:50 PM »
How was that photograph of Florida taken?

Maybe a balloon satellite that can circle above the Earth on a plane. NASA has been using this tech for decades. To get higher, they even launch them off of rockets.

You think a ballon 30 miles up can give you a view like that?

How desperate are you?

Depends on the lens used.

According to Google Earth, that view is at an eye level altitude of approximately 280 miles:

If you wanted to get that view from a lower elevation you would need a very wide lens. And with that, you would get a massive amount of barrel distortion in the image. And no distortion is present in your image.

Conclusion: You are using an image from a satellite, orbiting the earth, in space. Pretty ironic that a Flat Earther uses images from space, from perhaps even NASA, to try and make an argument.