Earth’s alleged 25,000 mile circumference never verified and documented.

• 80 Replies
Re: Earth’s alleged 25,000 mile circumference never verified and documented.
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2019, 12:19:09 PM »
What is the verified surface curvature over the center of South Louisiana, who documented it and does it conform to a sphere with a 25,000 mile circumference?

I don't understand why you use that image in reference to Earth curvature. Curvature and elevation are two separate things.

Is this a trick question?

I don't understand. Please explain.

To explain this easy: Curvature is the "roundness" of a surface. Elevation is the height (or depth) of the surface compared to the sea level.

Why you want to know the measurement of curvature specifically in Southern Louisiana I don't know. Why would it be different from measurements in Europe or Asia or Africa or wherever?

How is this?

What is the verified surface curvature over the center of any landmass, who documented it and does it conform to a sphere with a 25,000 mile circumference?

I provided a link in the 4th message (3rd reply) in this topic, please review.

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2019, 12:25:48 PM »
What is the verified surface curvature over the center of South Louisiana, who documented it and does it conform to a sphere with a 25,000 mile circumference?

I don't understand why you use that image in reference to Earth curvature. Curvature and elevation are two separate things.

Is this a trick question?

I don't understand. Please explain.

To explain this easy: Curvature is the "roundness" of a surface. Elevation is the height (or depth) of the surface compared to the sea level.

Why you want to know the measurement of curvature specifically in Southern Louisiana I don't know. Why would it be different from measurements in Europe or Asia or Africa or wherever?

How is this?

What is the verified surface curvature over the center of any landmass, who documented it and does it conform to a sphere with a 25,000 mile circumference?

How does a link to many other links answer the question?
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2019, 12:34:58 PM »
The topic is "Earth’s alleged 25,000 mile circumference never verified and documented."
That has been proven to be false.

The "surface curvature over the center of South Louisiana" is totally irrelevant to "Earth’s alleged 25,000 mile circumference".

So now follow you own instructions and have "No unrelated issues or passing the buck, please."

Case closed, next questions?

JackBlack

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
Well if you bothered following the sources of that nice image you posted you would have found out the USGS, specifically the USGS 3D elevation program, in the data source you have provided.

This is the elevation relative to the geoid.
This means they measured the curvature.
If they didn't there would a systematic deviation, such as a massive bulge in the centre if Earth was actually smaller, or a massive crater in the middle if Earth was actually flat.

You have already been given plenty of examples of that. Why ignore that and ask again?

Even your OP had an example of someone who determined the circumference.

Are you only capable of ignoring answers to your questions so you can pretend they were never answered?

Plat Terra

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2019, 12:57:42 PM »
Can anyone here give me a direct answer to the following questions in the same reply? An answer that actually applies to what is asked?

Do you believe Earth has curvature?

Are you a Globe defender?

Do you know math?

What does 2+2 equal?

What is the verified surface curvature over the center of any landmass or canal, who documented it and does it conform to a sphere with X (miles it should have) miles in circumference?
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2019, 01:01:58 PM »

How does a link to many other links answer the question?
Do we have to hold your hand and point out every little detail? I assume that you never bothered to even look at this material.

The origin of the map of South Louisiana appears to be this file: USGS State of Louisiana—Highlighting Low-Lying Areas Derived from USGS Digital Elevation Data by John J. Kosovich 2008 and it notes this:
Quote from: John J. Kosovich
Summary
In support of U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) disaster preparedness efforts, this map depicts a color shaded relief representation highlighting the State of
Louisiana and depicts the surrounding areas using muted elevation colors. The first 30 feet of relief above mean sea level are displayed as brightly colored
5-foot elevation bands, which highlight low-elevation areas at a coarse spatial resolution. Areas below sea level typically are surrounded by levees or some
other type of flood-control structures. Standard USGS National Elevation Dataset (NED) 1 arc-second (nominally 30-meter) digital elevation model (DEM)
data are the basis for the map, which is designed to be usedat a broad scale and for informational purposes only.

The NED data are a mixture of data derived from the original 1:24,000-scale USGS topographic map bare-earth contours, which were converted into gridded
quadrangle-based DEM tiles at a constant post spacing (grid cell size) of either 30 meters (data before the mid-1990s) or 10 meters (mid-1990s and later data).
These individual-quadrangle DEMs were then converted to spherical coordinates (latitude/longitude decimal degrees) and edge-matched to ensure
seamlessness. Approximately one-half of the area shown on this map has DEM source data at a 30-meter resolution, with the remaining half consisting of
mostly 10-meter contour-derived DEM data and some small areas of higher-resolution LIght Detection And Ranging (LIDAR) data along parts of the
coastline.

Areas below sea level typically are surrounded by levees or some other type of flood-control structures. State and parish boundary, hydrography, city, and road layers were modified from USGS National Atlas data downloaded in 2003. The NED data were downloaded in 2007.

Data Sources
National Elevation Dataset (NED), 2007, USGS National Elevation Dataset: U.S. Geological Survey, http://seamless.usgs.gov/. (Last accessed Sept. 4, 2008).
The USGS National Atlas of the United States of America, 2003, National Atlas of the United States of America: U.S. Department of the Interior, http://nationalatlas.gov/. (Last accessed Sept. 5, 2008)
That makes it quite obvious that elevations are all relative to mean sea level and mean sea level is the shape of the Globe.

So you have your answer to you quite off-topic question "What is the verified surface curvature over the center of South Louisiana, who documented it and does it conform to a sphere with a 25,000 mile circumference?" in USGS State of Louisiana—Highlighting Low-Lying Areas Derived from USGS Digital Elevation Data by John J. Kosovich 2008.

rvlvr

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2019, 01:07:18 PM »
Can anyone here give me a direct answer to the following questions in the same reply? An answer that actually applies to what is asked?

Do you know math?

What does 2+2 equal?

What is the verified surface curvature over the center of any landmass or canal, who documented it and does it conform to a sphere with X (miles it should have) miles in circumference?
1) I do believe Earth has curvature
2) I defend round Earth, yes
3) I think I know at least some math
4) 2+2 is 4

Plat Terra

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »

Do you know math?

What does 2+2 equal?

1) I do believe Earth has curvature
2) I defend round Earth, yes
3) I think I know at least some math
4) 2+2 is 4

Thanks!

rvlvr

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2019, 01:14:42 PM »
Happy to help, man!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2019, 01:32:07 PM »

Not only do I "believe the Earth has curvature", I know the "Earth has curvature".
Quote from: Plat Terra
Yes and I defend what I honestly believe to be well-supported facts.
Do you know math?
What does 2+2 equal?
Provided you are working to base-10 2 + 2 = 4.
What landmass would you suggest? This did a rather job for southern Louisana, USGS State of Louisiana—Highlighting Low-Lying Areas Derived from USGS Digital Elevation Data by John J. Kosovich 2008

But who cares about "the . . . surface curvature over the center of any landmass"? Sure of the curvature over oceans is demonstrated that shows that the Earth must be a Globe.

And these two photos seem to demonstrate curvature over an ocean quite well:

Bathurst Lighthouse from 100 ft above sea-level

Bathurst Lighthouse from 6 ft above sea-level

And there are numerous other photos demonstrating that the ocean is indeed curved - even ones like this show the same thing:

Sunset at Karumba on August 8, 2007 at 06:25:02 EAST.

Sunset at Karumba on August 8, 2007 at 06:25:29 EAST.

Sunset at Karumba on August 8, 2007 at 06:25:57 EAST.

JackBlack

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2019, 01:33:49 PM »
These questions are either irrelevant to the topic, or have already been answered.

Why do you keep ignoring the answers when they are provided?
Why do you wish to keep lying to everyone and claiming the curvature has never been verified when plenty of people have shown that it has been?

Do you want to just make sure everyone knows you have no interest in the truth and that the FE religion is built upon lies and wilful ignorance?

Macarios

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2019, 02:04:19 PM »

How can elevations (vertical distances) from sea level show if the sea level itself is curved or not?

Are you still refusing to learn what is DATUM?
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Plat Terra

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2019, 02:11:07 PM »

How can elevations (vertical distances) from sea level show if the sea level itself is curved or not?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2019, 02:50:38 PM »

Answered in: Earth’s alleged 25,000 mile circumference never verified and documented. « Reply #35 on: Today at 06:01:58 AM ».

But of course, It does not "conform to a sphere with a 25,000 mile circumference" because the shape of the Earth is not "a sphere with a 25,000 mile circumference".

Here read these and learn something for a change:
USGS: What is a Geoid? Why do we use it and where does its shape come from?
ArcGIS: The geoid, ellipsoid, spheroid, and datum, and how they are related
Quote from: National Oceanis and Atmospheric Administration
NOAA: What is the geoid? The geoid is a model of global mean sea level that is used to measure precise surface elevations.
esri: Mean Sea Level, GPS, and the Geoid

Please learn a little about the Globe before you try to debunk it. You lack of knowledge makes you memes and threads quite useless for their intended purpose.

Macarios

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2019, 02:54:32 PM »

It is confirmed by Datum definitions, including:
NAD 27 CONUS - North American Datum of 1927 for the Continental United States (Common on older USGS maps)
NAD 83 – North American Datum of 1983 (Used on most newer USGS maps)
WGS 84 – World Geodetic System of 1984 (The default datum used by the GPS system)

I believe the elevations in the map you posted were measured relative to NAD 83.

Now:

From Vinton, LA to Slidell, LA is 367 km, which is 198 nautical miles.
198 / 60 = 3.3
The curvature at that distance is 3.3 degrees.

Lafayette is "not far" from the center of that arc.
(Actually 150 km from Vinton and 217 from Slidell.)
The city is some 11 meters above the elevation at which "the sea would be if the land mass was removed".
The local land elevation says nothing about the shape of it, but the datum itself does.

I repeat:
Learn what is DATUM, please.

BTW, if 3.3 degrees is 367 km, then 360 degrees is
367 / 3.3 x 360 = 40 036 km, which is 24 878 statute miles (0.5% less than 25 000 miles).
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2019, 05:22:29 PM »
Why don't you ask these people about confirming curvature?
https://www.iag-aig.org/
The Mission of the Association is the advancement of geodesy. IAG implements its mission by furthering geodetic theory through research and teaching, by collecting, analyzing, modelling and interpreting observational data, by stimulating technological development and by providing a consistent representation of the figure, rotation and gravity field of the Earth and planets, as well as their temporal variations.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Plat Terra

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2019, 05:48:31 PM »

NAD 27 CONUS - North American Datum of 1927 for the Continental United States (Common on older USGS maps)
WGS 84 – World Geodetic System of 1984 (The default datum used by the GPS system)

I believe the elevations in the map you posted were measured relative to NAD 83.

Now:

198 / 60 = 3.3

The city is some 11 meters above the elevation at which "the sea would be if the land mass was removed".
The local land elevation says nothing about the shape of it, but the datum itself does.

I repeat:

367 / 3.3 x 360 = 40 036 km, which is 24 878 statute miles (0.5% less than 25 000 miles).

Injecting your theory of elevation being measured from “Sea Curve” into an elevation map derived from Mean sea level does not verify how much alleged (X amount in feet) curvature bulge is over southern Louisiana.

According to an elevation map, a line drawn over the top of 10’ elevation markers 10 feet apart from 1 mile to 25,000 miles would reveal a horizontal line.

Learn what Level and horizontal really mean and don't make me repeat myself.

Next….

BTW.... Natural Geographic verifies elevation is measured from Sea "Level" is not measured from your imaginary sea curve or sea  circumference.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 05:58:40 PM by Plat Terra »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2019, 05:56:08 PM »
How was that photograph of Florida taken?

Plat Terra

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2019, 06:06:51 PM »

Maybe a balloon satellite that can circle above the Earth on a plane. NASA has been using this tech for decades. To get higher, they even launch them off of rockets.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 06:10:48 PM by Plat Terra »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2019, 06:20:24 PM »

Maybe a balloon satellite that can circle above the Earth on a plane. NASA has been using this tech for decades. To get higher, they even launch them off of rockets.
So you don't know.  This just goes to show your level of intellectually integrity when you use sources that you haven't properly vetted.

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2019, 06:49:14 PM »

Better yet.
How does the very first sentence refute the claim in the very last sentrnce?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2019, 06:57:14 PM »

Now:

198 / 60 = 3.3

I repeat:

Injecting your theory of elevation being measured from “Sea Curve” into an elevation map derived from Mean sea level does not verify how much alleged (X amount in feet) curvature bulge is over southern Louisiana.

According to an elevation map, a line drawn over the top of 10’ elevation markers 10 feet apart from 1 mile to 25,000 miles would reveal a horizontal line.

You really need to do some research and educate yourself before you go popping off with things like "don't make me repeat myself." Especially when you, yet again, have demonstrated you don't know what you are even referring to let alone talking about. You've been asking for documentation and verification, and that's exactly what everyone has been giving you. Understanding the DATUM is crucial and is exactly what you're asking for.

Here's a quick primer on DATUM:

Geodetic Datums: NAD 27, NAD 83 and WGS84

"Because the Earth is curved and in GIS we deal with flat map projections, we need to accommodate both the curved and flat views of the world. In surveying and geodesy, we accurately define these properties with geodetic datums.

We begin modelling the Earth with a sphere or ellipsoid. Over time, surveyors have gathered a massive collection of surface measurements to more reliably estimate the ellipsoid.

When you combine these measurements, we arrive at a geodetic datum. Datums precisely specify each location on Earth’s surface in latitude and longitude. For example, NAD27, NAD83 and WGS84 are geodetic datums."

https://gisgeography.com/geodetic-datums-nad27-nad83-wgs84/

Read the article, it goes on to explain how the DATUM's are created.

As well, here's a quick video from NOAA about how different DATUM's are utilized for different aspects of engineering:

Put a little effort in to understanding the questions you are asking and the answers you are given.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2019, 07:44:28 PM »

You think a ballon 30 miles up can give you a view like that?

How desperate are you?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Plat Terra

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2019, 08:31:53 PM »

Now:

198 / 60 = 3.3

I repeat:

You really need to do some research and educate yourself before you go popping off with things like "don't make me repeat myself." Especially when you, yet again, have demonstrated you don't know what you are even referring to let alone talking about. You've been asking for documentation and verification, and that's exactly what everyone has been giving you. Understanding the DATUM is crucial and is exactly what you're asking for.

Here's a quick primer on DATUM:

Geodetic Datums: NAD 27, NAD 83 and WGS84

"Because the Earth is curved and in GIS we deal with flat map projections, we need to accommodate both the curved and flat views of the world. In surveying and geodesy, we accurately define these properties with geodetic datums.

We begin modelling the Earth with a sphere or ellipsoid. Over time, surveyors have gathered a massive collection of surface measurements to more reliably estimate the ellipsoid.

When you combine these measurements, we arrive at a geodetic datum. Datums precisely specify each location on Earth’s surface in latitude and longitude. For example, NAD27, NAD83 and WGS84 are geodetic datums."

https://gisgeography.com/geodetic-datums-nad27-nad83-wgs84/

Read the article, it goes on to explain how the DATUM's are created.

As well, here's a quick video from NOAA about how different DATUM's are utilized for different aspects of engineering:

Put a little effort in to understanding the questions you are asking and the answers you are given.

You don't know what you're talking about. That elevation map has nothing to do with circumference measurements. You guys are trying to paint it as if it does. That's your deception. Say it, Earth is not a sphere!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:54:21 PM by Plat Terra »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2019, 08:40:20 PM »
You don't know what you're talking about. That elevation map does not include circumference measurements.
Why should it?

Plat Terra

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2019, 08:49:19 PM »

You think a ballon 30 miles up can give you a view like that?

How desperate are you?

Depends on the lens used.

Plat Terra

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2019, 08:53:28 PM »
You don't know what you're talking about. That elevation map does not include circumference measurements.
Why should it?

Exactly. That elevation map has nothing to do with circumference measurements

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:55:05 PM by Plat Terra »

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2019, 08:57:49 PM »
Why should it?

Then why are you using it to argue circumference?
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

Plat Terra

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2019, 09:03:30 PM »
Why should it?

Then why are you using it to argue circumference?

I am not.

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2019, 09:08:34 PM »

Yes, you are.
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.