Photos from space - obvious fakes or not?

• 10 Replies
Photos from space - obvious fakes or not?
« on: November 02, 2019, 08:40:48 AM »
I've a question regarding full Earth images from space. Here's an image from the Epic camera on board Dscovr taken in July 2016:

Now I've seen numerous comments from flat earthers calling these images out as fake and I completely agree that these days pretty much anything could be faked, but many of the comments go much further and suggest that people think these images are really poor and obvious fakes, as if NASA has somehow tripped up and presented an image which is so wrong that it's not even a plausible fake.

For those of you who think it's fake, is it a good fake or a bad one and if it is a bad one, why? What about it is so obviously wrong?

faded mike

• new world
Re: Photos from space - obvious fakes or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »
I don't recognize what is fake about this image. However i do doubt nasa and the official narrative, and a lot of "flatearthers" have researched this extensively. just my two cents
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

I am not a druggy

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 02:37:23 PM »
They need it to be fake, because if it isn't, that would mean that FE is wrong. So even without anything in the photo to indicate it is fake, they will see it as fake.

And calling it an obvious fake means they can think they can dismiss it without supporting their claims, as those who don't see it must be fools.
Also, they can see it as an "obvious fake" because they think Earth is flat and thus any picture showing it is round must be fake, obviously, just people would dismiss photos of pixies as an obvious fake because pixies aren't real.

However images from EPIC like these (showing the moon in the foreground especially) do have a significant limitation. Unlike most cameras which take red, green and blue images simultaneously to produce a full colour image, EPIC takes them sequentially. This produces a blur around the edge of the moon which can make it appear fake to those who don't know how it was taken.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 04:28:20 PM »
So even without anything in the photo to indicate it is fake, they will see it as fake.
The FE stated position is that they
do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence. It is too easily manipulated and altered
.  This could be seen as a convenient 'get out' clause as JackBlack infers.  The same claim can then be applied to any space based image of the Earth.

As far as I know there is no space based photo in existence which shows the Earth to be flat.  So that begs the question if it is so easy to take a (faked) photo of the Earth from space which shows it to be a sphere (it must be on account that there are so many of them now), then why has not a single (real) photo been produced by man or by machine in space which shows the Earth to be flat? 

To those who truly believe that the Earth is flat, any form of evidence that suggests that it is not will be dismissed as faked/hoaxed, misinterpreted or simply ignored. So the natural conclusion to them is: you cannot prove that the Earth is not flat because it is.  Burying your head in the sand though will not alter or make whatever lies above the sand go away.  One day FEers will have to face that.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 04:38:50 PM by Nucleosynthesis »

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »
Usual reason given seems to just be that it looks a bit crap. 

Weíre used to just seeing the moon against a black sky, so it might not be obvious to everyone  that itís actually less reflective than the Earth.

The dark side of the moon is also relatively featureless compared to the side we see from Earth.  So it kind of just looks like a big grey circle.

Seems to be some chromatic aberration (or similar) visible which looks a bit odd, although that actually indicates real optics rather than CGI.  It could be faked with CGI of course, but that would be to simulate imperfect optics anyway.

Size matches what should be expected as viewed from L1 Earth Sun Lagrange point.

Iíve never heard any actual astronomers cast any doubt on it, so if itís fake, itís been faked well enough to fool the scientific community (assuming theyíre not all in on it). 

If anyoneís given any reasons besides personal incredulity, Iíve not seen them.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 07:29:57 PM »

Weíre used to just seeing the moon against a black sky, so it might not be obvious to everyone  that itís actually less reflective than the Earth.

The dark side of the moon is also relatively featureless compared to the side we see from Earth.  So it kind of just looks like a big grey circle.

Seems to be some chromatic aberration (or similar) visible which looks a bit odd, although that actually indicates real optics rather than CGI.  It could be faked with CGI of course, but that would be to simulate imperfect optics anyway.

Size matches what should be expected as viewed from L1 Earth Sun Lagrange point.

Iíve never heard any actual astronomers cast any doubt on it, so if itís fake, itís been faked well enough to fool the scientific community (assuming theyíre not all in on it). 

That "chromatic aberration" is caused by the image we see is made from the image being made from 16 exposures of different light wavelengths of a period of 2 hours.
The moon moves a little in that time so the R, G and B components are shifted a little.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 07:56:14 PM »

That "chromatic aberration" is caused by the image we see is made from the image being made from 16 exposures of different light wavelengths of a period of 2 hours.
The moon moves a little in that time so the R, G and B components are shifted a little.

Thanks.  I wondered if it might be something like that (hence saying ďor similarĒ), but couldnít be arsed to look up DSCOVR specs.

Some might argue thatís not exactly similar, but whatever.  I think my point stands either way.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 01:52:49 AM »
Some might argue thatís not exactly similar, but whatever.  I think my point stands either way.
The effect is similar.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 06:40:03 AM »
Please try not confuse the far side of the moon with the dark side of the moon.  In that photo, the far side of the moon (which is never visible from earth) is actually being fully illuminated and the dark side is facing the earth,
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 07:21:42 AM »
Please try not confuse the far side of the moon with the dark side of the moon.  In that photo, the far side of the moon (which is never visible from earth) is actually being fully illuminated and the dark side is facing the earth,

Its just a different term for the same thing.

the far side is sometimes called the "dark side of the Moon", where "dark" is used to mean unseen rather than lacking sunlight.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_side_of_the_Moon

Admittedly, ďfar sideĒ is probably be a bit clearer, but thereís no confusion on my part.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 06:12:25 AM »
The explanation for the chromatic aberration artifact was interesting. I think to me this is one of the differences between the way I think about the world and the way many Flat Earthers do. I saw the artifact and thought "interesting, wonder what the explanation for that will turn out to be?" At no point did I think "haha, fake!"

As is often the case, you wait a while and someone pops up with an explanation, which checks out and makes perfect sense (to me at least).

A little disappointing that nobody has challenged the image at all, let alone given any reasons. Basically we all seem to agree it's real, so not much of a debate. Oh well.