Phases of Venus

• 5 Replies
Phases of Venus
« on: October 31, 2019, 11:43:46 AM »
Hopefully quite a simple one this... since it seems that Flat Earthers seem to favour the geocentric model of the solar system, how does that explain the full cycle of phases of Venus.  And indeed Mercury.  If Venus is orbiting the Sun in a layer that is above the flat Earth I cannot see how you can see all the phases.  You would also see phases of the other planets as well.

Re: Phases of Venus
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 11:56:33 AM »
You've already asked this in

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=83796.0

Please stop spamming.

Macarios

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 12:36:40 AM »
Hopefully quite a simple one this... since it seems that Flat Earthers seem to favour the geocentric model of the solar system, how does that explain the full cycle of phases of Venus.  And indeed Mercury.  If Venus is orbiting the Sun in a layer that is above the flat Earth I cannot see how you can see all the phases.  You would also see phases of the other planets as well.

No, they don't.
They prefer Flat model, not Geocentric model.

Geocentric model presents Earth as static globe in the center of the Universe,
with several concentric crystal spheres rotating around it,
each sphere carrying own set of celestial bodies.

Flat model presents Earth at the bottom, not in the center.

Flat model was abandoned 2500 years ago, Geocentric was abandoned 400 years ago.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 01:42:02 AM »
You've already asked this in

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=83796.0

Please stop spamming.
That thread was on "Planetary retrograde motion" and the replies there bear little relevance to this thread on "Phases of Venus".

The planets Mercury and Venus both show phases similar to the Lunar phases. The phases of Venus can be viewed with quite a modest telescope.
Unlike the moon, though, their sizes vary consiserably from smallest when (near) full to largest when "new".

This is an example photographed at the European Southern Observatory. See: ESO The Venus Transit 2004.

Phases of Venus and evolution of its apparent diameter.
                                              Attribution: Statis Kalyvas - VT-2004 programme

How could these phases be explained from the orbits shown for the planets over the flat-Earth?

And why would the apparent sizes of these planets vary so much from a minimum when "full" to a maximum when "new" but the moon's size does not change in the same way?

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 02:18:09 AM »
This is exactly my point.  Apologies for those who noted that I asked the same or a very similar question in another post.

FE theory seems to maintain that the the planets are orbiting the Sun above a flat Earth.  But this photo sequence of Venus would be impossible to achieve if that were true as the orientation of the phases would be completely different. It would not be possible for there to be a 'full Venus' or a Venus transit as you could not get Venus, the Sun and the Earth in perfect alignment.

The phase cycle of the Moon, combined with the corresponding elongation of the Sun and the Moon during each month is best accounted for by concluding that the Moon orbits a global Earth and a global Earth orbits the Sun.  You can try and make the same thing work by asserting that the Earth is flat but you need to re-invent physics essentially in order to make it work.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 11:18:18 PM »
I know this reasonably But the advice from somebody anyway