Flight due south over south pole

• 56 Replies
Flight due south over south pole
« on: October 29, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »
What will it happen if a plane , let's say from South Africa, will fly due South with a heading of 180 and fly over South pole? What will it happen? Where it will end up? Will it fall of ? Go into space? What?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:19:59 AM by Alexmartinescu »

Re: Flight due south over south pole
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 12:22:48 PM »
It will not be able to continue flying straight and will have to turn around.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 03:51:57 PM »
Why would it "not be able to continue flying straight and . . . have to turn around"?

Why not fly straight due south over the South Pole and then continue due north?

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 12:45:48 AM »
Still , what will a pilot find when over the south pole? He is Not changing his previous 180 heading and he is not turning around.  . Hit the wall?  Fly over ? Fly into space? Fall over the earth?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:00:01 AM by Alexmartinescu »

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 01:23:21 AM »
Why would it "not be able to continue flying straight and . . . have to turn around"?

Why not fly straight due south over the South Pole and then continue due north?

Exactly. Once over the South Pole, the plane is no longer flying due south at a heading of 180 as the OP stipulates. It has previously been flying straight, but can no longer do so to maintain a due south heading and so must turn around to continue heading south.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 01:42:13 AM »
Around the poles you use grid navigation. Because of the huge vertical force of the south and north poles , the compas is not reliable anymore. It will just point down. That s why , when you are close to south pole or north pole, you are relying on grid navigation. For that , a gyroscope is being used to cross the north and south pole. You allign it with the meridian 180 and it will keep the same alignment and dirrection( search the features of gyro's ) independent of the compass or the aircraft movement. So you will continue to fly in the same direction, not turning. Again ... i will not turn. I want to fly straight through the South pole. Straight through the end of the Earth . Where will i go? 

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Most Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 03:59:17 AM »
What will it happen if a plane , let's say from South Africa, will fly due South with a heading of 180 and fly over South pole? What will it happen? Where it will end up? Will it fall of ? Go into space? What?

the answer depends on whether the flat earth is finite or infinite. to me both are possible. According to finite theory, you'll hit something what you hit after you go up 50 kilometers. If it is infinite, you will continue until the aircraft's engines are frozen. but after a certain point you will not be able to progress because of the cold. the only way is not to fly, but to go by underground.

this workplace is on strike

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 04:14:00 AM »
The easiest way to prove your theory will be to actually go to the south pole or go in space. Second option is not that easy. So only the fist one is doable. From 30 milion Flat earth believers, is there anyone who actually have seen and documented the south pole with actual footage ?

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Most Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 04:34:40 AM »
our friends who try it reported they face various problems related the areas being secured. a globalist sailor said he will sail from new zealand and arrive in Chile after a while. He is missing since two years.

You can reach the works of the flat earthers on this subject via internet, ie youtube, facebook and twitter.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 05:57:46 AM »
the answer depends on whether the flat earth is finite or infinite. to me both are possible.

Wrong. The answer depends on neither of those things because there is no flat earth. If the plane passes over the South pole and does not change direction, it is heading North.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Most Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 06:36:42 AM »
the answer depends on whether the flat earth is finite or infinite. to me both are possible.

Wrong. The answer depends on neither of those things because there is no flat earth. If the plane passes over the South pole and does not change direction, it is heading North.

No. You are wrong. This is the flat earth society and oper asks it depends on flat earth theory if he does not say anything about it. Hence, my explanation depends on flat earth theory is true, and your so called explanations are null, only valid in the globe earth society, it is not here. You are on wrong forum, or confusing where you are, miss Saddam.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 09:34:00 AM »
Around the poles you use grid navigation. Because of the huge vertical force of the south and north poles , the compas is not reliable anymore. It will just point down. That s why , when you are close to south pole or north pole, you are relying on grid navigation. For that , a gyroscope is being used to cross the north and south pole. You allign it with the meridian 180 and it will keep the same alignment and dirrection( search the features of gyro's ) independent of the compass or the aircraft movement. So you will continue to fly in the same direction, not turning. Again ... i will not turn. I want to fly straight through the South pole. Straight through the end of the Earth . Where will i go?

Although terribly interesting, this has nothing to do with the original question. You didn't ask about magnetic navigation, you asked about what happens when you travel in a specified direction.

When you specify that you are heading south, the instant that you travel over the South Pole you are no longer traveling south. You must turn around if you want to travel south.

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 09:39:09 AM »

No. You are wrong. This is the flat earth society and oper asks it depends on flat earth theory if he does not say anything about it. Hence, my explanation depends on flat earth theory is true, and your so called explanations are null, only valid in the globe earth society, it is not here. You are on wrong forum, or confusing where you are, miss Saddam.
Circumnavigation of the South Pole has been achieved, and that is passing over the south pole continuing out the other side, you can google search and find a number of flights.
Truth and reality, does not care, what website it is on.
Flat Earth, is a false reality.
To believe in such, reality is the conspiracy.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 09:44:56 AM »

Although terribly interesting, this has nothing to do with the original question. You didn't ask about magnetic navigation, you asked about what happens when you travel in a specified direction.

When you specify that you are heading south, the instant that you travel over the South Pole you are no longer traveling south. You must turn around if you want to travel south.
Alright then . All i wanted was to state  that i don't want to change the 180 heading ( south heading ) and just continue to fly over the south pole . Maintaining the same direction as the meridian i am on. Where will i go ? I don t want to turn. I just want to go straight over the ice mountains or whatever it is being thought to be there. Where will i go?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:19:22 AM by Alexmartinescu »

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 10:30:30 AM »

Alright then . All i wanted was to state  that i don't want to change the 180 heading ( south heading ) and just continue to fly over the south pole . Maintaining the same direction as the meridian i am on. Where will i go ? I don t want to turn. I just want to go straight over the ice mountains or whatever it is being thought to be there. Where will i go?

You continue to state contradictory things. You stipulate not changing the 180 heading (south heading), maintaining the same direction (180 degree heading, south), but not turning. By definition, if you want to maintain the same 180 heading, you must turn.

You do realize that the direction of something depends on where you are, right?

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Most Forum Legend
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 11:15:55 AM »

Circumnavigation of the South Pole has been achieved, and that is passing over the south pole continuing out the other side, you can google search and find a number of flights.
Truth and reality, does not care, what website it is on.
Flat Earth, is a false reality.
To believe in such, reality is the conspiracy.

Those flights are conspiracy. Claiming some flights does not magically make them reality. you can't make up fake flights to deceive us about your imagined world. you can't convince us with that. you need to prove their existence, just as follows.:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=82172.0

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 12:55:22 PM »

You continue to state contradictory things. You stipulate not changing the 180 heading (south heading), maintaining the same direction (180 degree heading, south), but not turning. By definition, if you want to maintain the same 180 heading, you must turn.

If you would understand some basics about navigation you will understand how a gyro will work over the north or south pole. Anyways . Forget about heading . You just follow the meridian . You start from South Africa. And you follow the same meridian's line towards south pole. After you see South Pole at your 12 o'clock you continue straight ahead . No turning . Where will you reach? The question can't be clearer than that

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »

If you would understand some basics about navigation you will understand how a gyro will work over the north or south pole. Anyways . Forget about heading . You just follow the meridian . You start from South Africa. And you follow the same meridian's line towards south pole. After you see South Pole at your 12 o'clock you continue straight ahead . No turning . Where will you reach? The question can't be clearer than that
On a globe earth, you reach outer space.
Quantum Ab Hoc

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »

Don t know about you , but I know where i reach on a globe earth. I am asking you about a flat earth cause that i don t know.

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 01:21:32 PM »

You were the one who was insistent about heading 180 south in all your previous posts. Now forget about heading?

Okay, if you are going to throw that away, your question is:

Q: What if I fly to the South Pole by flying south, and then when I get to the South Pole I fly north -- where do I end up?
A: North.

The answer can't be clearer than that.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »

Don t know about you , but I know where i reach on a globe earth. I am asking you about a flat earth cause that i don t know.
It sounds like you don't. You'd end up in space - or you'd know about if I knew.
Quantum Ab Hoc

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 01:34:35 PM »

You were the one who was insistent about heading 180 south in all your previous posts. Now forget about heading?

Q: What if I fly to the South Pole by flying south, and then when I get to the South Pole I fly north -- where do I end up?

I was trying to make it as simpler as i could for you because i see that you can't visualise it. 

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »

I was trying to make it as simpler as i could for you because i see that you can't visualise it.

Everything that I have said is absolutely true, as is my understanding of the geometry of the issue. Don't project on me that I can't visualize the situation just because you have a problem asking the question that you want answered.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 01:55:55 PM »
If you would understand some basics about navigation you will understand how a gyro will work over the north or south pole. Anyways . Forget about heading .You just follow the meridian. You start from South Africa. And you follow the same meridian's line towards the south pole. After you see the South Pole at your 12 o'clock you continue straight ahead. No turning. Where will you reach? The question can't be clearer than that
Really?
When flying "continuing straight ahead" would imply maintaining the same altitude would it not?

So "On a globe earth, you" do not reach outer space but having passed the South Pole fly due north.

Flying south from, say, Cape Town could be flying south along the 18.6E meridian and on passing the South would be flying north on the 161.4W meridian.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »
If you would understand some basics about navigation you will understand how a gyro will work over the north or south pole. Anyways . Forget about heading .You just follow the meridian. You start from South Africa. And you follow the same meridian's line towards the south pole. After you see the South Pole at your 12 o'clock you continue straight ahead. No turning. Where will you reach? The question can't be clearer than that
Really?
When flying "continuing straight ahead" would imply maintaining the same altitude would it not?

So "On a globe earth, you" do not reach outer space but having passed the South Pole fly due north.

Flying south from, say, Cape Town could be flying south along the 18.6E meridian and on passing the South would be flying north on the 161.4W meridian.
Why would flying straight imply maintaining altitude?
Quantum Ab Hoc

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 06:51:55 PM »
Really?

Your have been flying the same altitude for hours, why would you change altitude?
The earth is a globe.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 09:26:30 AM »
Really?

Your have been flying the same altitude for hours, why would you change altitude?
Traveling in a straight line and maintaining altitude are for the most part mutually exclusive on a globe.
Quantum Ab Hoc

Macarios

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 09:45:45 AM »
Really?

Traveling in a straight line and maintaining altitude are for the most part mutually exclusive on a globe.

Traveling in straight line means following the great circle.
Maintaining altitude means keeping the vertical distance from the datum.

Strictly mathematical representation of straight line is something else.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 11:54:24 AM »
Really?

Traveling in straight line means following the great circle.
Maintaining altitude means keeping the vertical distance from the datum.

Strictly mathematical representation of straight line is something else.

For once, I have to agree with John Davis.

The general definition (not just mathematical) of a straight line is a line that has no curvature; the shortest distance between two points.

You (and others) may colloquially use the term to refer to arcs on a great circle, and that may be fine in context, but universally declaring that traveling in a straight line "means" that is simply wrong.

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 01:28:43 PM »
Really?

If that is your understanding know wonder you are lost.
The earth is a globe.