Water swirl direction on different hemispheres

• 19 Replies
Water swirl direction on different hemispheres
« on: October 20, 2019, 01:17:10 AM »
I'd like to start with I'm new here. I'm more into hollow earth, but there is a lot I've learned from watching flat earth vids such as how fake ISS is etc. I'd like to know whats the flat earth explanation for why water rotates in different directions on different hemispheres. This is a simple experiment anyone can do especially if we have people from the southern hemisphere in this forum to reaffirm that this happens.

rvlvr

Re: Water swirl direction on different hemispheres
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 01:24:59 AM »

Dog bless America!

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 01:31:10 AM »
I'd like to start with I'm new here. I'm more into hollow earth, but there is a lot I've learned from watching flat earth vids such as how fake ISS is etc. I'd like to know whats the flat earth explanation for why water rotates in different directions on different hemispheres. This is a simple experiment anyone can do especially if we have people from the southern hemisphere in this forum to reaffirm that this happens.

Water in a drain does not move in opposite directions on each side of the equator. That's a fable.

The Coriolis effect is so weak that it simply cannot measure up to the forces at play in a toilet, tub or sink, where the shape of the container and the effects of residual currents — which can persist for up to a day after filling — tend to dominate.

https://www.livescience.com/34225-does-water-in-a-drain-go-a-different-direction-in-the-southern-hemisphere.html

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 02:50:02 AM »

Water in a drain does not move in opposite directions on each side of the equator. That's a fable.

The Coriolis effect is so weak that it simply cannot measure up to the forces at play in a toilet, tub or sink, where the shape of the container and the effects of residual currents — which can persist for up to a day after filling — tend to dominate.

It's provable theres only videos of people proving it correct. We can test it. You can use a different equal material and poke a hole in it. ( a large funnel for example) Put a leaf on it and don't start till it is still to rule out residual currents. simple test

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 03:16:04 AM »

It's provable theres only videos of people proving it correct. We can test it. You can use a different equal material and poke a hole in it. ( a large funnel for example) Put a leaf on it and don't start till it is still to rule out residual currents. simple test

You mean like this one?

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 07:28:00 AM »

https://www.livescience.com/34225-does-water-in-a-drain-go-a-different-direction-in-the-southern-hemisphere.html

It's not ENTIRELY a fable. As your post mentions, there are simply stronger influences at play. But if those influences were subdued, the Coriolis Effect would make a difference.
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 07:36:43 AM »

It's not ENTIRELY a fable. As your post mentions, there are simply stronger influences at play. But if those influences were subdued, the Coriolis Effect would make a difference.

Well yes that is true. I should've mentioned that as my quote also does with "tend to".  ;)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 08:11:45 PM »

You mean like this one?

Coriolis is effectively zero at and near the equator
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 09:50:24 PM »

You mean like this one?

Yeah, I know. I was just trying to see if it's these types of videos the poster was referring to when he said, "It's provable theres only videos of people proving it correct."

The classic equator scam; She pours the water in from one side and then just pours it in the other side to create the opposite vortex of the first. The tourists are none the wiser.

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 09:59:49 PM »

You mean like this one?

Yeah, I know. I was just trying to see if it's these types of videos the poster was referring to when he said, "It's provable theres only videos of people proving it correct."

The classic equator scam; She pours the water in from one side and then just pours it in the other side to create the opposite vortex of the first. The tourists are none the wiser.

It was interesting there was little to no swirl at the equator mark, but f I remember that specific experiment wasn't exactly done correctly because she didn't let the residual currents stop from pouring. also she could've used a more equal surface there are other videos where they control the variables better.
If it is false I'm saying we can do the experiment control all the variables put the funnel on a stable stand and level it to make sure it is upright. put confetti in the water to make sure theres no residual currents and see if it spins the correct way or not. If all the variables are accounted for and we can prove this wrong then it would help prove flat earth.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 10:03:38 PM by duckduckgo »

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 10:07:58 PM »

If it is false I'm saying we can do the experiment control all the variables put the funnel on a stable stand and level it to make sure it is upright. put confetti in the water to make sure theres no residual currents and see if it spins the correct way or not. If all the variables are accounted for and we can prove this wrong then it would help prove flat earth.

If the experiment is correct and done a bunch of times then would there be a different reason this could happen on a flat earth. same with the direction of hurricane formations on the north or south hemisphere

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 03:06:01 AM »

It was interesting there was little to no swirl at the equator mark, but f I remember that specific experiment wasn't exactly done correctly because she didn't let the residual currents stop from pouring. also she could've used a more equal surface there are other videos where they control the variables better.

I read a published article once where some had worked out what it would take to perform this experiment with any confidence.  They may have done it, I don’t remember, and I can’t find it now.

I believe it involved something like- a very high precision machined water vessel, mounted perfectly horizontally, isolated from air currents, with a special release valve to drain symmetrically, and the water left to stand for literally days to remove any net residual motion.

This isn’t as detailed, but a decent quick summary:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-somebody-finally-sett/

I guess an alternative would be to take a statistical approach-  flush a couple of thousand Northern Hemisphere toilets and a couple of thousand Southern Hemisphere toilets and see if there’s a significant difference.

Either way, I don’t think it can be done simply and conclusively.  Other experiments and observations are much clearer.

JackBlack

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 04:28:07 AM »
I read a published article once where some had worked out what it would take to perform this experiment with any confidence.  They may have done it, I don’t remember, and I can’t find it now.

I believe it involved something like- a very high precision machined water vessel, mounted perfectly horizontally, isolated from air currents, with a special release valve to drain symmetrically, and the water left to stand for literally days to remove any net residual motion.

I guess an alternative would be to take a statistical approach-  flush a couple of thousand Northern Hemisphere toilets and a couple of thousand Southern Hemisphere toilets and see if there’s a significant difference.

Either way, I don’t think it can be done simply and conclusively.  Other experiments and observations are much clearer.
It depends upon where you are and how large the vessel is.
The closer to the poles and the larger the vessel the easier it is.
The closer to the equator and the smaller the vessel, the harder it is.

If you have a large circular tank, like a rain water tank or a pool, with a drain in the centre, left for a day or 2 to settle out of the wind, and you control the flow downstream of the drain, it should be noticeable.

?

frenat

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 05:10:18 AM »

If you have a large circular tank, like a rain water tank or a pool, with a drain in the centre, left for a day or 2 to settle out of the wind, and you control the flow downstream of the drain, it should be noticeable.

these guys did a better job of it.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 09:52:17 AM »
As others have posted, this is really not a thing.

JackBlack

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 01:10:25 PM »
As others have posted, this is really not a thing.
You seem to have misunderstood what those others posted.
It isn't a thing for very small containers, like a kitchen sink.

But for a much larger container, which is left to sit for a while before draining, it is a thing.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 07:19:04 PM »

I am convinced now, thanks.  ::)

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 07:31:55 PM »

This is there more controlled expiriment

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 07:36:22 PM »
Toilet swirl depends on the bowl manufacturer.

?

frenat

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 07:37:04 PM »

This is there more controlled expiriment

Same experiment, same synced videos. the one I posted was synced and posted by a third party though.