No offense, but I wouldn't even classify this shit as music

It's stuff some idiot DJ who had no ear for music whatsoever spent 2
minutes cooking up on his computer, so groups of teenagers all over the
world, who have no real appreciation for the music either can go wild
over it.

At least Metal Requires Talent, expresses emotion, Can be meaningful
It is an art form every sense of the word, which is more than what can
be said for that shit.

Sorry but I'm right... don't even try arguing with me.

Talent? so you would consider bands such as metallica as talented? they are right down there on my list with hair bands. I'm pretty sure all metal requires is some singers with raspy grunty voices waxing on about hell and love in the same song, a boring 4 minute over-amped guitar solo, and suckers like you lapping it all up to stay alive.

Appreciation?
The fact you have no fucking clue what you are talking about or who you are talking so shows your ignorance. Nor do you know what electronic artists i'm talking about.

So...Musical Preferences?
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2007, 08:15:19 PM »
Talent? so you would consider bands such as metallica as talented? they are right down there on my list with hair bands. I'm pretty sure all metal requires is some singers with raspy grunty voices waxing on about hell and love in the same song, a boring 4 minute over-amped guitar solo, and suckers like you lapping it all up to stay alive.

Oh my!

Metallica, in the great scheme of things, isn't that talented. Maybe if you did some research and weren't so closed-minded, you would find many a talented metal band. Into Eternity, Dream Theater, Wintersun, and Children of Bodom come to mind. All of these bands have music that is technical and complex as well as catchy and powerful.

I like metal too. Mainly Gothenburg-style melodic death like old In Flames and At The Gates. I also like progressive, death, thrash, power, and some NWOBHM. \m/

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2007, 08:20:36 PM »
Quote from: "troubadour"

While I like a lot of electronic music, this is bullshit.

Metallica, albeit recently suck ass, are a group of some of the most talented musicians that have been in the business.  Who knows why they're throwing it away on shitty music now, but whether you like the music or not, it is hard to deny the talent they had in ...And Justice for All, Master of Puppets, and Ride the Lightning.

If you want to overgeneralize metal as well, overgeneralizing electronica is even easier.  This is pretty much all it is.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2007, 08:22:20 PM »
EDIT: ^While I have nothing against metal as a genre, I do have to admit I don't really like Metallica. As for talent, their guitarists are in no way BAD, but they aren't ludicrously talented either. And the bassist is given way too much credit. I can play pretty much any Metallica song given probably fifteen minutes to work on it (memorizing is another story; their riffs meander for ages). And their drummer just follows standard rock beats for the most part.

I like absolutely anything that fits some criteria:

A) Good lyrics (unless it's instrumental, of course)
B) Use instruments (real instruments; a human beatboxer is not an instrument, a turntable is not an instrument, and a trashcan and a broom is definitely not an instrument)
C) Actually care about their music

If that's all good, then I can like it (if it sounds good). I can listen to anything from metal to classical to punk to modern rock. Basically anything in there's good with me, though I am a softy for cool basslines.

~D-Draw

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2007, 03:22:32 AM »
Quote from: "troubadour"

OMG... You really are an idiot  :shock:

Metallica are one of the most talented bands ever! Why you would even
choose to list them as a band without talent is beyond me.

You shouldn't boast about your ignorance  :roll:

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2007, 03:27:08 AM »
Quote from: "thedigitalnomad"
This is pretty much all it is.

:lol: lol.... You don't event want to see how strongbad disses death metal

beast

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2007, 03:46:19 AM »
People who think different genres of music require different degrees of musical talent are only showing their ignorance.  I am sure that playing metal requires talent, just as I know that d n b and other forms of electronic music definitely require talent.  In every field of human activity there are people who push the limits, and they put in the same effort and work just as hard as the people in at the top of other activities.  If you don't think this is true, you'll never be on the top.

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2007, 03:48:18 AM »

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2007, 04:07:29 AM »
Quote from: "beast"
People who think different genres of music require different degrees of musical talent are only showing their ignorance.  I am sure that playing metal requires talent, just as I know that d n b and other forms of electronic music definitely require talent.  In every field of human activity there are people who push the limits, and they put in the same effort and work just as hard as the people in at the top of other activities.  If you don't think this is true, you'll never be on the top.

I don't know if you've ever been in a band or even tried making music
before, but I have, and what you just said is absolute rubbish.

Prove that electronic music requires the same degree of talent that metal does....
You shouldn't make pointless statements that have no factual basis whatsoever, if you can't back them up.

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2007, 05:13:43 AM »
I love John Cage's 4'33".  In fact I have it playing on my headphones all day long, even as I type.  To tell the truth it's the only thing that will play on my headphones.

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2007, 05:53:42 AM »
You should get new headphones  :lol:

beast

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2007, 06:14:36 AM »
Quote from: "CharlesJohnson"

Prove that electronic music requires the same degree of talent that metal does....
You shouldn't make pointless statements that have no factual basis whatsoever, if you can't back them up.

I played in a jazz band for 4 years - I play alto sax.  A friend of mine recently came third in the NZ International Classical Music Performer awards - he's been invited to play with a number of professional orchestra's and owns a $23,000 guitar (he plays classical guitar).  I think I have a good idea of musical talent.  I know that he's been playing for around 6 hours every day for the last 10 years and I know that he is a far more talented guitar player than most rock guitarists.  Of course this is irrelevant to the question, I just find your view that metal requires some more significant amount of talent than other styles rather arrogant.  

I would be interested in seeing you back up your claim that trance, dnb, house and experimental is; "stuff some idiot DJ who had no ear for music whatsoever spent 2 minutes cooking up on his computer."  I'm sure you have a wealth of knowledge to back that claim up.

To see that the genre takes talent, you only need to look at the musical qualifications of people like Amon Tobin, Pendulum, The Prodigy or the Propellerheads - guys who have been playing music all their lives, are very capable of playing live instruments, sample themselves as well as other people and are at the tops of their respective genres.

« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2007, 06:17:12 AM »
$23,000 guitar

BS
[size=24]TIME IS CUBIC[/size]

beast

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2007, 06:37:21 AM »
My friend owns a Greg Smallman guitar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Smallman

http://www.guitarcentre.com.au/smallman.html

http://www.learnclassicalguitar.com/guitar-maker.html

http://www.flatrock.org.nz/wolf/wolf_den/buying_a_classical_guitar.htm

This is where the whole resale price thing comes in. Guitars are sought by collecters because of their name.  That is why people want one of Greg Smallman's - because John Willams plays one, so they assume it must be a good guitar.  I've heard that he only made a few really good guitars, and John Willams happens to have one of them.  I've played one of his guitars, and it was lovely, but if you look, the majority of Australian pro guitar players play guitars by a maker called Simon Marty, as his are ALL really good and only $10,000 AUS rather than $20-25,000.

Links to my friend - Tom Ward:

http://www.expo2005.or.jp/en/event/event09/0909/7ef4a3b8f4a920dd492570730036f10c.html

http://www.arts.tas.gov.au/publications/news/punew30.pdf

http://www.tasmusic.com.au/about.php3?sID=41&PHPSESSID=9964207d9ae66c79c3a82862dbd6652f

As you will notice - Greg Smallman works in Melbourne, and my friend is from Tasmania - the same state I live in.  Of course with a little more time I could put forward a much greater wealth of evidence.

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2007, 06:39:47 AM »
All you fe believers lie.
[size=24]TIME IS CUBIC[/size]

beast

« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2007, 06:40:43 AM »
edit:

Link to Tom's first cd.  He is busy recording another one as we speak.

http://www.tagtuner.com/music/albums/Tom-Ward/Tasmanian-Story-(Classic-Guitar)/album-v216b17c'

Another good link, with a biography of Tom.

http://www.darwinguitar.com/2005/index.php?content=artprof_ward

Tom Ward was born in Tasmania, Australia in April 1983. He was raised in the Tasmanian bush within a musical family. At 14 he began his classical music & guitar studies at the St. Cecilia School of Music, Launceston with violinist & guitar teacher Matthews Tyson (ex pupil of violin virtuoso Jan Sedivka). Next Tom successfully undertook a music degree under the mentorship of Timothy Kain at the Australian National University in 2004. He received commendation for his consistently high level of performance & results and is now completing his honours degree.

Further awards include, Tasmanian Composer of the Year (2000) (the Australian Society of Musicology & Composition). Foundation for Young Australians Centenary Award, The Australia Day Young Citizen of the year 2003. (MVC). Tom was also a member of the winning ANU Guitar Trio at the Australian International Guitar Festival, Newcastle, NSW, 2004, and individual winner of the Open Instrumental section of the Hobart Eisteddfod 2004. Recently he was a Prizewinning Finalist at the prestigious International Gisborne Music Competition in New Zealand, 2004.

During his musical life Tom has had the opportunity to meet & perform in master classes to such personalities as Pavel Steidl, Geoffrey Lancaster, David Leisner, Carlos Bonell, Jose Maria Gallardo del Ray, Carlo Barone & Stepan Rak.

Tom is regularly broadcast on ABC radio and there have been a number of articles about him in Australian and New Zealand newspapers. He was invited by Tommy Emmanuel to perform classic guitar as a guest artist at his Tasmanian show 2004. He was invited by Maestro Carlo Barone to perform at the International Condrongianos Festival in Italy 2004.

Tom has performed in Italy, London, Japan, New Zealand and regularly in Australia. He plans to produce his next CD in 2005.

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2007, 10:19:49 AM »

ok, make a piece of music that could be put into the genre of electronic that sounds good. not just good, inspired.

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2007, 10:26:36 AM »

I played in a jazz band for 4 years - I play alto sax.  A friend of mine recently came third in the NZ International Classical Music Performer awards - he's been invited to play with a number of professional orchestra's and owns a $23,000 guitar (he plays classical guitar).  I think I have a good idea of musical talent.  I know that he's been playing for around 6 hours every day for the last 10 years and I know that he is a far more talented guitar player than most rock guitarists.  Of course this is irrelevant to the question, I just find your view that metal requires some more significant amount of talent than other styles rather arrogant.  

I would be interested in seeing you back up your claim that trance, dnb, house and experimental is; "stuff some idiot DJ who had no ear for music whatsoever spent 2 minutes cooking up on his computer."  I'm sure you have a wealth of knowledge to back that claim up.

To see that the genre takes talent, you only need to look at the musical qualifications of people like Amon Tobin, Pendulum, The Prodigy or the Propellerheads - guys who have been playing music all their lives, are very capable of playing live instruments, sample themselves as well as other people and are at the tops of their respective genres.

thank you. Electronic as a genre is very broad, and there are good and bad artists just like any other genre. But to say that it requires absolutely no talent or less then say, metal, is retarded. It's much easier to get the sound you want from strumming a guitar or banging a drum the certain way, it's much harder to do it with a machine(computer or hardware synth). But you do have more control and much more range of what you can do with digital music. I Had a buddy that had(i think still has) this whiney emo band, they replaced their drummer with a drum machine, and he uses his computer for adding in samples and editing. Needless to say as much as i hate emo music, his new band sounds better then his old ska band before all of his computer literacy(which he picked up from me, a former radio/club DJ/producer). It's also much more creative. There is only so much you can do with analog. welcome to the age of digital.

Also squarepusher - who is squarepusher, best song ever.

http://squarepusher.net/  < experimental electronica at it's best

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2007, 01:10:12 PM »
I listen mainly to metal, but also classical and other styles as well.

My favourite band is Maiden, favourite composer is Beethoven. Favourite guitarist...that's tough...Michael Angelo probably, as it's actually possible to play some parts of his songs.

I play guitar and I'm in a  kind of band. We play...uh...'alternate' (ie, bad) music :p

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2007, 01:34:47 PM »

for your listening(and viewing) pleasure

?

quixotic

• Im a mushroomcloudlayin motherfucker, motherfucker
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2007, 02:54:52 PM »
Fav guitar player would easily be Tom Morello followed by a close second in Dimebag Darryl

Like...O M G ! ! ! He is, like, totally using the gun as like some kind of sexual weapon. O M G ! ! That is like, totally awesome! ! !

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2007, 07:47:10 AM »
Anybody like listening to blues?  I've really been digging Stevie Ray Vaughan lately.

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2007, 10:20:49 AM »
o bai teh wai, listen to Sleep Terror and tell me that metal is talentless.  http://www.myspace.com/sleepterror
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
That guy is certainly very talented on guitar, but it's nothing I haven't heard before.
the cake is a lie

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2007, 01:09:15 PM »
Originality isn't the point.  The argument was that metal doesn't have talent, which it clearly does.  :P
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

beast

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2007, 05:57:06 PM »
Actually the argument was that d n b, trance, house etc. don't require talent, while metal does.

Clearly a false argument.  Both require talent, as do all forms of music.

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2007, 06:02:39 PM »
Actually the argument was that d n b, trance, house etc. don't require talent, while metal does.

Clearly a false argument.  Both require talent, as do all forms of music.

QFT. Even though I hate rap, it does require some talent. I just don't think it's as talented as Niccoló Paganini. :P
ah.

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2007, 06:11:40 PM »
Nah, the different kinds of music require different kinds of talents.

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

beast

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2007, 06:22:08 PM »
Different kinds of talent are still talent.  It's like saying that formula 1 driving takes less talent than marathon running.  Obviously the top people in each field work just as hard and are just as obsessed with what they do, and just as talented - if they swapped fields they would fail miserably, but that doesn't mean you can say one is more talented than the other.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2007, 06:28:17 PM »
By the way, Amon Tobin was mentioned a page or two back, and I have to say he is definitely my favorite electronic music 'artist'.  Out From Out Where and Supermodified are both superb works, as well as the collaboration album he did with a few people (I actually know Double-Click from another forum).  William Orbit, and Grouse are both good similar artists.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET