0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: January 24, 2007, 02:56:31 AM

World War II

• 23 Replies

midgard

World War II
« on: January 24, 2007, 02:56:31 AM »
I was once told something and I just wanted to find out if it's true...

When you respond please say what country you're from and how you answered.

Cheers.

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
World War II
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 06:13:32 AM »
I say it started when Germany invaded Poland, so 1939.

Oh, and I is from American.

P.S You realize that even if people don't know this, they'll just google search it and answer anyway, right?
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

World War II
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 06:19:04 AM »
conspiracy. WWII never happened. your grandad might show you photos, but you cant say for sure they are real can you?
tf?

midgard

World War II
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:29:23 AM »
Quote from: "EnragedPenguin"

Were you taught 1939 in school? I don't know if it's an urban myth but I've been told that people from the USA get taught that WWII started in 1941 (Pearl Harbour). I just wanted to test the accuracy of what I'd heard - so far it just looks like an urban myth.

P.S You realize that even if people don't know this, they'll just google search it and answer anyway, right?

Yeah, I added the unsure option for people too lazy to do that. As I said I'm testing something I was told.

World War II
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 06:30:42 AM »
Quote from: "Ezkerraldean"
conspiracy. WWII never happened. your grandad might show you photos, but you cant say for sure they are real can you?

Its true... the only thing we know for sure is our own limited experience
of the world, but even then, what if our very senses are conspiring
against us?

Help me.... I'm so gullible and confused
Someone tell me quickly what to believe  :roll:

midgard

World War II
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 06:32:21 AM »
Ezkerraldean, CJ, if you voted would you mind saying what country you're from.

World War II
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 06:33:44 AM »
Originally South Africa... Currently the UK

World War II
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 06:34:51 AM »
Spain. 1939
tf?

midgard

World War II
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 06:36:24 AM »
Cheers guys.

beast

World War II
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 06:52:23 AM »
I really don't think this is an accurate survey at all.  You have to just go up to people in the flesh and ask them on the spot.  See how that goes.  I knew the answer, but I studied it in college, so I felt like I should.

A really good spot poll like this I did recently was to ask people "What's the highest court in Australia?"  This is a question that is apparently going to be on new citizenship tests for immigrants.  Everybody I asked except for people who studied law said "The Supreme Court" - which is false, Australia has no federal supreme court - "The highest court in Australia" is, of course, the High Court.  The highest court in the US is the Supreme Court.  So it turns out, as predicted by the local paper, the majority of Australians do not know enough about our country to become citizens...  Interesting.

midgard

World War II
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 06:57:31 AM »
Quote from: "beast"
I really don't think this is an accurate survey at all.  You have to just go up to people in the flesh and ask them on the spot.  See how that goes.  I knew the answer, but I studied it in college, so I felt like I should.

A really good spot poll like this I did recently was to ask people "What's the highest court in Australia?"  This is a question that is apparently going to be on new citizenship tests for immigrants.  Everybody I asked except for people who studied law said "The Supreme Court" - which is false, Australia has no federal supreme court - "The highest court in Australia" is, of course, the High Court.  The highest court in the US is the Supreme Court.  So it turns out, as predicted by the local paper, the majority of Australians do not know enough about our country to become citizens...  Interesting.

I take it you didn't read the purpose of the poll? I want to find out if american's get taught 1941 instead of 1939. As far as they're concerned perhaps 1939 is the correct answer.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
World War II
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 08:40:54 AM »
Quote from: "midgard"

Were you taught 1939 in school? I don't know if it's an urban myth but I've been told that people from the USA get taught that WWII started in 1941 (Pearl Harbour). I just wanted to test the accuracy of what I'd heard - so far it just looks like an urban myth.

It's not a fuckin' world war till the USA gets involved!
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
World War II
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 08:54:18 AM »
Its just a myth. The schools in America teach that WWII started in 1939.

midgard

World War II
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 09:17:59 AM »
Thanks MC.

World War II
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 09:41:23 AM »

Americans are the same way. a freind of mine thought washington d.c. was a city within maryland, but it doesn't reside in any state really.
an vir

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
World War II
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 12:58:40 PM »
1939, and I'm American.

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
World War II
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 01:01:49 PM »
Quote from: "midgard"

World War II started for America in 1941, but that doesn't mean that the war wasn't going on before then; my history teacher in high school (he went to the Philippines, and my school was lucky to have him, to be honest) told me and my class that "a world war is a war that is world-wide; it doesn't have to include America to be a world war."

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
World War II
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 02:26:47 PM »
Most of my history teachers (I'm American, as well) were clear on the distinction between the date the war actually started and the date America entered the war.
the cake is a lie

World War II
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 02:59:34 PM »
Since not EVERY state in the whole world was involved in the world wars, we have to go for some other definition of what it means to be a world war. I'd say every continent, which is true even before 1941.
ny Conspiricy without a secret society more than 1000 years old isn't worth thinking about

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
World War II
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 01:15:08 AM »

People who live in Canberra know it's the high court, but only because it's here.... or at least I did....

Oh, Middy - 1939 - Australia

midgard

World War II
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 02:30:57 AM »
Thankyou for the continuation of the posts in this thread but MasterChief2219 already stated that what I heard was just a myth so I don't need any further clarification.

World War II
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 02:43:42 AM »
1939. Australia.
 prefer not to have a signature as it just has nothing to do with anything at all.

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
World War II
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 03:53:44 AM »
Even if it didn't earn the name "World War" in 1939, that is still the date the war began, and I don't think anyone teaches anything else.
-David
E pur si muove!

World War II
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 09:23:51 AM »
1939 America.

what is taught is that the war started in 1939, and we didn't enter it until 1941
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli