Questions from and airline pilot

• 39 Replies
Re: Questions from and airline pilot
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2019, 12:10:11 PM »
I travelled to the southern most point and booked passage on a boat. I'm sure if I went again I'd be allowed to go (maybe), but that doesn't make a lot of fiscal sense given the first time I shelled out a lot of money for a trip and it ended up that they cancelled it with what I'd say was a silly reason.

What, they cancelled and didnít give you a refund?  Even if they tried to weasel out of it, your travel insurance should have covered it.

Who did you book with?

Stash

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2019, 01:27:59 PM »
I travelled to the southern most point and booked passage on a boat. I'm sure if I went again I'd be allowed to go (maybe), but that doesn't make a lot of fiscal sense given the first time I shelled out a lot of money for a trip and it ended up that they cancelled it with what I'd say was a silly reason.

United once cancelled my flight to Dallas for what I would say was a silly reason. But it didn't occur to me that Texas may be part of an international environmental treaty used as a guise to hide the true nature of the shape of the earth. I probably should have been more suspicious of their intent.

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2019, 08:57:08 AM »
The reason for cancellation was due to weather. It was not my flight, but the boat trip itself. I had only booked a day in the location and was headed out before I could reschedule. The waters seemed calm, and iirc, it was a sunny day.

Maybe one day I'll make it back, but it's not on the top of my list.
Quantum Ab Hoc

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2019, 07:08:19 AM »
I wouldn't think passenger safety is a silly reason to cancel...
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2019, 09:14:03 AM »
The weather was fine.
Quantum Ab Hoc

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2019, 09:21:19 AM »
The weather was fine.
Would the weather have been fine at your destination when you reached it?
How about the return trip?

I have been stranded at airports for hours due to weather before. I only saw clear blue skies at my airport.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2019, 10:14:13 AM »
As I've said before (maybe in this thread?), it's possible the delay was legitimate. When I left port later that day the weather seemed fine when we passed by the destination though, which would have been a few hours after I would have returned.

This really doesn't require this much examination and discussion :)
Quantum Ab Hoc

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2019, 10:51:53 AM »
If I were a flat earther flying to antarctica and the flight was cancelled I would also be suspicious.
You must gather your party before venturing forth

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »
Hey John, how long was the boat ride to your final destination?

I ask because, even where I live, weather can look great, and change to horrible in a matter of minutes.

I am an avid Inshore kayak fisherman, I keep a very close eye on weather through my phone apps, and I've still been ambushed more than once. I can only imagine how fast Antarctic weather can " go south"!
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2019, 12:17:48 AM »
Hey John, how long was the boat ride to your final destination?

I ask because, even where I live, weather can look great, and change to horrible in a matter of minutes.

I am an avid Inshore kayak fisherman, I keep a very close eye on weather through my phone apps, and I've still been ambushed more than once. I can only imagine how fast Antarctic weather can " go south"!

Well, it's 500 miles to cross the infamous Drake Passage