The RE Community Has a New Enemy

• 179 Replies

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
Re: The RE Community Has a New Enemy
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2019, 02:46:56 PM »
I am under no obligation to go into detail on all the copy-pasta that you post.

A sure sign of rudeness toward this forum and your readers.

I did read your reference, all 24 pages of it.

Furthermore, if you do not read what is being presented to you, then WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

The FES is likewise under no obligation to put up with your constant spamming, where you post a certain reference time and time again, ignoring the fact that you were debunked right from the beginning.

You are telling everyone that you just can't bothered, your precious little universe would be shattered by the references you refuse to read.

To be fair flat earth was debunked more than 2000 years ago and here you are.

Prove flat Earth was debunked more than 2000 years ago. What were the arguments and who was invovled and what was the date and who recorded the event? The words of the opposition don’t carry any weight.
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2019, 03:04:26 PM »

Furthermore, if you do not read what is being presented to you, then WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

The FES is likewise under no obligation to put up with your constant spamming, where you post a certain reference time and time again, ignoring the fact that you were debunked right from the beginning.

You are telling everyone that you just can't bothered, your precious little universe would be shattered by the references you refuse to read.

Prove flat Earth was debunked more than 2000 years ago. What were the arguments and who was invovled and what was the date and who recorded the event? The words of the opposition don’t carry any weight.

"The earliest documented mention of the spherical Earth concept dates from around the 5th century BC, when it was mentioned by ancient Greek philosophers.[1][2] It remained a matter of speculation until the 3rd century BC, when Hellenistic astronomy established the spherical shape of the Earth as a physical fact and calculated the Earth's circumference. The paradigm was gradually adopted throughout the Old World during Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages.[3][4][5][6] A practical demonstration of Earth's sphericity was achieved by Ferdinand Magellan and Juan Sebastián Elcano's circumnavigation (1519–1522).[7]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #152 on: September 14, 2019, 03:08:08 PM »

You really don't need someone else to prove it. You can prove it to yourself because a wonderful day is approaching. All you need to do is travel to Ushuaia, Argentina for December 21st(give or take a few days) and watch the Sun rise in the SOUTHEAST and set in the SOUTHWEST some 19 hours later. Enjoy the local cuisine and beautiful landscape in the mean time.
Nullius in Verba

Plat Terra

« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2019, 03:10:17 PM »

"The earliest documented mention of the spherical Earth concept dates from around the 5th century BC, when it was mentioned by ancient Greek philosophers.[1][2] It remained a matter of speculation until the 3rd century BC, when Hellenistic astronomy established the spherical shape of the Earth as a physical fact and calculated the Earth's circumference. The paradigm was gradually adopted throughout the Old World during Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages.[3][4][5][6] A practical demonstration of Earth's sphericity was achieved by Ferdinand Magellan and Juan Sebastián Elcano's circumnavigation (1519–1522).[7]"

Please post something related to the subject matter.

Here is is again. Prove flat Earth was debunked more than 2000 years ago. What were the arguments and who was invovled and what was the date and who recorded the event? The words of the opposition don’t carry any weight.
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2019, 03:12:14 PM »
Since we re 2019 ad  then 3 bc would be roighly 2000yrs.
Keep failing at basic things.

Plat Terra

« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2019, 03:15:24 PM »

You really don't need someone else to prove it. You can prove it to yourself because a wonderful day is approaching. All you need to do is travel to Ushuaia, Argentina for December 21st(give or take a few days) and watch the Sun rise in the SOUTHEAST and set in the SOUTHWEST some 19 hours later. Enjoy the local cuisine and beautiful landscape in the mean time.

That's not the issue.

The opposition shouldn's make such a bold statement without (proof) records of a major event more than 2000 years ago. Their words don’t carry any weight.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2019, 03:16:19 PM »

Please post something related to the subject matter.

Here is is again. Prove flat Earth was debunked more than 2000 years ago. What were the arguments and who was invovled and what was the date and who recorded the event? The words of the opposition don’t carry any weight.

What don't you get about "more than 2000 years ago" = 5th century BC & 3rd century BC?

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2019, 03:19:13 PM »

That's not the issue.

Is it not? Is the point not to find proof?
Nullius in Verba

Gumwars

• A poke in your eye good sir...
« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2019, 04:15:41 PM »

That's not the issue.

The opposition shouldn's make such a bold statement without (proof) records of a major event more than 2000 years ago. Their words don’t carry any weight.

As we've previously discussed, Eratosthenes determined the circumference of the Earth in the 3rd century BC.  This experiment has been reproduced in modern times, verifying its methodology and confirming the value obtained some 2300 years ago.  Simply put, the ancient Greeks figured it out long before Rowbotham muddied the waters with his brand of idiocy. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272755423_Modern_replication_of_Eratosthenes'_measurement_of_the_circumference_of_Earth

For those interested.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
We should endeavor to always keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2019, 04:19:55 PM »

Flat earth was debunked by ancient greeks more than 2000 years ago, since then it has been all down hill for FE. For instance Aristotle made this deduction after observing different stars could be seen when travelling further south. Remember the earth has a south celestial pole and a north celestial pole? Well Aristotle was smart enough see the proof of spherical earth in the night sky, all by himself without using youtube, just watching the stars. Really smart people those ancient greeks. Have you ever observed and studied the stars Platt Terra? I mean the real sky, not in youtube.
You must gather your party before venturing forth

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2019, 04:21:55 PM »
Perhaps you should learn about the opposition before you try to argue against it.
http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/earthpix.pdf
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »
A statement like that just shows how little you know of the history of the ancient flat earth beliefs and their progress into the Globe over the period from 600 BC to about 300 BC.

Those flat earth flat beliefs involved cosmology as well because the study of the movement of the Sun, Moon and star constellations was important them as it was their way of marking the seasons, their calendar.

But these early flat earth models covered a limited region that had little curvature an insufficient east-west extent to cause noticeable "time zones".

In addition most had the celestial bodies (Sun, Moon and stars) either in a celestial sphere all around the earth, roughly as we see it now, or rising from the horizon moving overhead and setting into the horizon in the west.
They explained the the Sun, Moon etc returning to the east by various means such as under the earth, through "Hades", around to the far  North or even outside the "Dome" of the sky.

So the transition from a flat-earth to a Globe, as people travelled greater distances, came fairly naturally without the great modern day flat-earth vs Globe debate.

Those early people already accepted the sun etc rising full size and top first from the eastern horizon full sized and setting into the western horizon bottom first.

For most there was no thought of a near Sun etc circling above the earth.
For a short period some Chinese had a model with an Earthly Plane and a Celestial Plane, similar the the modern flat earth, but that was soon rejected because it could not explain sunrises and sunsets - sound familiar?

But you really should try to read the early history of the Globe with an open mind. Here's one reference, Spherical Earth but there are plenty more.

Plat Terra

« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2019, 05:47:54 PM »
Still waiting for the records of such a a major event that happend more than 2000 years ago.

Or is it just a bunch of crap?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2019, 05:54:12 PM »
Still waiting for the records of such a a major event that happend more than 2000 years ago.

Here's one of many:

Aristotle (384–322 BC) was Plato's prize student and "the mind of the school".[52] Aristotle observed "there are stars seen in Egypt and [...] Cyprus which are not seen in the northerly regions." Since this could only happen on a curved surface, he too believed Earth was a sphere "of no great size, for otherwise the effect of so slight a change of place would not be quickly apparent." (De caelo, 298a2–10)

From his works entitled, "On the Heavens", approx., 350 BCE. In which, he waxes quite extensively about his observations regarding a spherical earth. (In case you're struggling with how calendars work too, that's about 2369 years ago.)

Plat Terra

« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2019, 06:03:06 PM »

Here's one of many:

Aristotle (384–322 BC) was Plato's prize student and "the mind of the school".[52] Aristotle observed "there are stars seen in Egypt and [...] Cyprus which are not seen in the northerly regions." Since this could only happen on a curved surface, he too believed Earth was a sphere "of no great size, for otherwise the effect of so slight a change of place would not be quickly apparent." (De caelo, 298a2–10)

From his works entitled, "On the Heavens", approx., 350 BCE. In which, he waxes quite extensively about his observations regarding a spherical earth. (In case you're struggling with how calendars work too, that's about 2369 years ago.)

You fail again. Plato's prize student and "the mind of the school" does not debunk a Flat Earth. and saying "Since this could only happen on a curved surface" is really lame. Is this the best you can do on sudh an issue, really? Hahahaha

Still waiting for the records of a major debunking (event) of the Flat Earth that happend more than 2000 years ago.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »

Here's one of many:

You fail again. Plato's prize student and "the mind of the school" does not debunk a Flat Earth. and saying "Since this could only happen on a curved surface" is really lame. Is this the best you can do on sudh an issue, really? Hahahaha

Still waiting for the records of a major debunking (event) of the Flat Earth that happend more than 2000 years ago.

Do you mean a record of a major debunking event like the first Flat versus Globe Earth Olympics?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2019, 06:14:49 PM »

No, it's just off topic.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2019, 06:27:30 PM »
Still waiting for the records of such a major event that happened more than 2000 years ago.
There was no "such a major event that happened more than 2000 years ago"! You did read the reference in, The RE Community Has a New Enemy « Reply #161 »

Why would there be?
As people travelled further, the Greeks in this case (though the Phonecians as well), they saw that their early belief in the earth's bing flat could not be true.

But no "major event" was needed. Why would it? The progression from the old flat earth ideas to a spherical came naturally as more evidence came it.

There's more in here: Explorable: Ancient Astronomy, Science And The Ancient Greeks.

Gumwars

« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2019, 07:00:22 PM »

Eratosthenes.  Again.  Good grief. 

Is there something wrong with your ability to comprehend the written word?  I don't mean reading, I mean comprehension.  Your ability to actually comprehend, apply critical thinking to, and understand what a chain of words, written in English, and determine what their combined meaning is. 

Eratosthenes determined the circumference of the Earth.  Understand that circumference is a term used strictly with circles.  This test was performed again in modern times and was verified as being correct in methodology as it was repeatable.  The test proves the circumference, and with more than two locations used as data points, proves the Earth is not flat. 

Do you intend to continue the dance of ignorance?  Are you willing to drop this nonsense and realize that the biggest enemy to FE is very likely you.
We should endeavor to always keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

Plat Terra

« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2019, 07:09:46 PM »
No, there was no debunking more than 2000 years ago, it's all more programed lies, lies and more lies. That would mean that 2000 years ago the masses believed Earth to be a sphere. You guys have to stop the lies!

And again, Eratosthenes did not prove Earth was a sphere. He only made a caculation. And in reality, he's wrong considering refraction. You can't actually get an accurate measurement when refraction exists. This is why you  have to VERIFY CURVATURE, whch no one has done. So even your model sphere is not valid.

Gumwars

« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2019, 07:58:41 PM »
No, there was no debunking more than 2000 years ago, it's all more programed lies, lies and more lies. That would mean that 2000 years ago the masses believed Earth to be a sphere. You guys have to stop the lies!

And again, Eratosthenes did not prove Earth was a sphere. He only made a caculation. And in reality, he's wrong considering refraction. You can't actually get an accurate measurement when refraction exists. This is why you  have to VERIFY CURVATURE, whch no one has done. So even your model sphere is not valid.

Eratosthenes determined the circumference of a spherical Earth.  His findings led to the creation of the Cartesian system of longitude/latitude that has been used for CENTURIES.  This cannot be understated, it has been in use for CENTURIES, and has been one of the primary reasons the exploration of Earth has succeeded as it has.  At no point did ANYONE stand up and point out some critical flaw with this system, like say, it being based on the wrong planetary shape.  EVERYTHING you keep spouting is an attempt to refute ESTABLISHED, VERIFIED, and INCONTROVERTIBLE truth about the history of the world, how we travel, and how the systems we have in place work.

Your idiocy is limitless and is only match by the depths of your own ignorance.  The fact that you cannot see how dangerous your own inability to comprehend these truths is cannot be underscored more.  You are either a troll of the first degree or so hopelessly lost in an abyss of paranoid delusion and abject dismissal of all reason and logic that you are doomed to see the world framed this way. 

Are you that needy?  Is your ego so fragile that in order to make yourself feel special, you find it necessary to tear down the splendor and achievements of so many that have come before you?  Is that why you find shelter within the ignorance you've so clearly demonstrated to everyone here?  Neil Armstrong's light was too bright, so diminish his accomplishment, and with him all the men and women that risked everything to see that task done?  The same with all the explorers of the far flung limits?  Same then with Yuri Gagarin?  Diminish what risks he took so your narrow worldview is more appealing?  You are a sad person, stuck in a loop of your own creation, unable to see beyond the self-imposed limits of your own imagination...

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2019, 08:20:29 PM »

There was nothing to debunk 2000 years ago and even 2600 years ago the flat earth models were nothing like the impossible one used by modern flat earthers.

For example this is the last of the ancient Greek Flat Earth "Cosmologies":
COSMOS - The SAO Encyclopedia of Astronomy
ANAXIMANDER
Anaximander of Miletus (c.610-c.545 BC), a pre-Socratic philosopher, was a contemporary of Thales and was one of the first ‘cosmologists’ (i.e. one who attempted to explain the origin and form of the Universe). Anaximander was quite a productive philosopher as he made maps of the known world, offered explanations for the origin of the Sun, Moon and stars, and even performed simple experiments such as marking the solstices and equinoxes on sundials.

The cosmological model he proposed was a ring of fire surrounding the Earth, that was hidden from view except through vents. The stars were the light of this fire that could be seen through the openings. This model could also explain the phases of the Moon: its phase depended on how wide or narrow the vent covering was.

Anaximander’s model of the Universe. The Sun, the Moon and each of the stars is actually
a transparent ring – or hoop – made of air. Each ring is filled with fire which we can only see
hen the hole in that particular ring passes over us.
Anaximander described the Earth as rounded and circular with two plane surfaces (not necessarily a flat disk, more like a cylinder or ‘stone pillar’), which was suspended freely in space. It stays where it is because it is equidistant from everything else in the Universe. Above the Earth were (in order) the other planets, the stars, the Moon and finally the Sun. The components of the Universe were supposed to have formed as rings that were shed from a fiery sphere that once surrounded the Earth.

Only one phrase remains from Anaximander’s prose account ‘On Nature’, although copies of this work were probably available in Aristotle’s time (4th century BC).

And more on him: Anaximander Of Miletus: Father Of Cosmology, Pre-Socratic Greek Philosopher Who Discovered Equinox, Solstices And Gnomon

But I do wish that you'd just learn to face the simple fact that "there was no debunking more than 2000 years ago" because there was never a need to!

The earlier flat-earth cosmologies simply gave way to the idea that the earth was a Globe as more and more evidence came in.

But all the time you are debating fro ignorance of the Globe and its history so your only tactic left is ridicule and that is always a poor counter to evidence!

And you have to resort to the sort of ridiculous attack, "it's all more programed lies, lies and more lies. That would mean that 2000 years ago the masses believed Earth to be a sphere. You guys have to stop the lies!"

No, Mr Flat Terra, WE are not telling any lies!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2019, 09:27:57 PM »

And again, Eratosthenes did not prove Earth was a sphere. He only made a caculation. And in reality, he's wrong considering refraction. You can't actually get an accurate measurement when refraction exists.
Not true! There is negligible refraction above 15° or so above the horizon and you were told of the and even a link to a table of it.
Remember this?
No, Mr Plat Terra, you are the one that is completely wrong here!

You say that "Author", that's ME, "does not include a key element in the argument; thousands of miles of Linear atmosphere and Light refraction."
But there are NO "thousands of miles of Linear atmosphere"! The effective thickness of the earth's atmosphere is no more than the equivalent of about 9 km (of sea-level density air) so even that 45° slanted path is only through no more than 13 km of sea-level.

And even then there has been much research into the refraction of light coming into the atmosphere from the outside:
See Refraction deviation angles for an observer at sea level, M. E. THOMAS AND R. I. JOSEPH See Table 1 at Refraction deviation angles for an observer at sea level, Table 1.
From that you will find that at 45° from the zenith the refraction is only about one minute of arc (1/60 degree).
That very informative table will also show that even right on the horizon the usual refraction is only about 34.5' or arc or a bit over 0.5°.

You say "One who leaves out such important issues is being intellectually dishonest and knows better" but, Mr Plat Terra, refraction is a very trivial issue  here.
So, I have not been intellectually dishonest in drawing up that diagram and is essentially the same as the one that you flat earthers use to justify you son's distance above the earth being about 3200 miles.

I'd be careful throwing these accusations about because they might just come back and bite YOU as this one has!

One who falsely accuses another "being intellectually dishonest" should, at the very least, offer an apology - how about it?

In case you didn't read my earlier post look at this table!

Refraction deviation angles for an observer at sea level, M. E. THOMAS AND R. I. JOSEPH

Now look at that table and note that at only 15° above the horizon refraction is only 3.6 arc minutes!  So your refraction excuse is pure crap!

So, just face the facts, the Eratosthenes experiment and the numerous similar ones done since do provide evidence of curvature.

Quote from: Plat Terra
This is why you  have to VERIFY CURVATURE, whch no one has done. So even your model sphere is not valid.

It has been verified thousands of times! But you simply refuse to face plain simple facts!

Even the Eratosthenes type experiment kills you claims stone dead.

The 800 km and 7.2° angle of the original could be claimed to show the sun's height above a flat earth to be 800/tan(7.2°) = 6333 km.
If the same experiment is performed at an equinox between the equator and a point 45° N at solar noon the distance (flat-earth or Globe) is 5000 km.
So this would make the sun 5000/tan(45°) = 5000 km and at a point 75° N at solar noon the distance (flat-earth or Globe) is 8333 km and the sun would be 2233 km above the flat earth.

From these results, just how high is sun above your flat earth?

The Eratosthenes type measurement gives quite inconsistent heights for your flat erth sun but fits the Globe almost perfectly - almost because of the trace of refraction.

So, as well as all the other evidence the Eratosthenes type measurement also provides evidence of CURVATURE - just face facts!

JackBlack

« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2019, 02:11:55 PM »
You fail again. Plato's prize student and "the mind of the school" does not debunk a Flat Earth.
Make up your mind. What are you looking for?
Are you looking for historical records of the event(s)?
If so, they have been provided.
If not, then are you looking for the actual science which shows it, in which case stop appealing to history.

No, there was no debunking more than 2000 years ago, it's all more programed lies, lies and more lies. That would mean that 2000 years ago the masses believed Earth to be a sphere.
Complete non-sequitur. Just because it was proven doesn't mean the masses accepted it.
For a lot of the time the masses had more important things to worry about, like not dying of starvation or disease.
It seems you just cling to programmed rejection of reality.

And again, Eratosthenes did not prove Earth was a sphere.
While that was not his intent, he did.
Under the fact that the sun is very far away (not an assumption, a fact, based upon prior observation), the solution to the problem is a spherical Earth.

he's wrong considering refraction.
Refraction will not save you.
It curves light in the wrong direction for your pizza planet.

You can't actually get an accurate measurement when refraction exists.
Do you mean accurate or precise? The 2 are quite different.
Either way, you can, you are just limited by refraction.
It would make it hard to use the equator and the north pole on the equinox to determine the radius of Earth, due to the significant refraction of objects near the horizon. But it wont have a significant impact for measurements regarding objects much higher in the sky.

This is why you  have to VERIFY CURVATURE
Which has been done repeatedly, by countless people.
You choosing to ignore that doesn't magically take that away and make it so no one has verified the curvature of Earth. Your wilful ignorance doesn't magically refute a RE.
All it means is you are choosing to ignore reality.

« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2019, 02:30:34 PM »

That's not the issue.

another very odd fixation...

show me proof how bread was invented and that it wasn't given to us by aliens.
who in their right mind, being a primitive robe wearing, no shoe, peasant would spend the effort to pick a whole wack lot of seeds, crush them, add water, bake in fire to eat.
what an impractical idea at a basic level.
show me the recipe.
you would think that the whole known world would have a recipe documented somewhere of this first ground breaking idea to launch humanity from hunter to farmer.
if you can't show me the recipe, then i contend that bread doesn't exist and we've been fed a lie all these years.

Macarios

« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2019, 10:56:16 PM »

Date?

Event?

It didn't happened overnight.

People were observing, measuring, deriving, calculating and they concluded that the previous Flat model is useless and baseless.
The data accumulated over centuries.

Even the word "geometry" came from... (you discover it on your own - google for: origin of the word geometry). :)
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2019, 11:22:21 PM »

That's not the issue.

another very odd fixation...

show me proof how bread was invented and that it wasn't given to us by aliens.
who in their right mind, being a primitive robe wearing, no shoe, peasant would spend the effort to pick a whole wack lot of seeds, crush them, add water, bake in fire to eat.
what an impractical idea at a basic level.
show me the recipe.
you would think that the whole known world would have a recipe documented somewhere of this first ground breaking idea to launch humanity from hunter to farmer.
if you can't show me the recipe, then i contend that bread doesn't exist and we've been fed a lie all these years.

I think Plat has evaporated into the aether of the infinite planar earth.

« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2019, 12:29:59 AM »
Come on plata.
Does bread exist or is it a conspiracy by the stone mason?

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2019, 03:44:47 AM »
Come on plata.
Does bread exist or is it a conspiracy by the stone mason?

I believe it were the Stone-Ground Mason's...
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2019, 07:46:06 AM »
Thats how they got so rich - forcing all the peasants to by giant stone wheels.