Lack of flat earth images

• 38 Replies
Lack of flat earth images
« on: September 05, 2019, 12:15:21 PM »
One argument that we have for a globe earth is all the images taken from space that show as much.
Flat earthers claim that all pictures of earth taken from space are fake/photoshopped.   
True or not, why has there never been any published photo of a flat earth?
The obvious answer would be that satellites and space travel don't exist so pictures cannot be taken of the flat earth.
However that has obviously not stopped the pictures of a globe earth from being taken and presented as 'fact'.
I would like to see a photo of a flat earth, fakes or otherwise, just to see what an 'artists rendition' of a flat earth looks like, since we have plenty of 'artists renditions' of the globe earth.
Why not post a photoshopped flat earth picture and see if it can be passed off as real.  After all, the majority of the population believes that the existing photoshopped images of the globe earth are all real.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Lack of flat earth images
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 03:40:07 PM »
There are billions of pictures of the earth.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

alex314

• Truth, knowledge and science.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 10:09:59 PM »

But there is exactly ZERO pictures taken of a flat eart from more than 100 km above the ground.

Explanation: Earth is not flat...

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 10:41:15 PM »

But there is exactly ZERO pictures taken of a flat eart from more than 100 km above the ground.

Here is one

http://projectsmartspacescience.sr.unh.edu/teachers_smpage.shtml

You can go pretty high, but dont expect to see the entire Earth at once. Also, not all the Earth is in sunlight at the same time so the rest gets very dark to see

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

?

alex314

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 10:43:44 PM »

Here is one

So you say that this image shows 'flat earth'? How can you be sure that this is not a zoom into some sphere earth image?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 10:49:31 PM »

Here is one

So you say that this image shows 'flat earth'? How can you be sure that this is not a zoom into some sphere earth image?

Well I gave you the web site of the people who arranged the photo. It is what it is. I dont see why they would feel the need to zoom in on the Earth. I would imagine they would be after as wide of a field as possible

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

?

alex314

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 10:57:55 PM »

Here is one

Well I gave you the web site of the people who arranged the photo. It is what it is. I dont see why they would feel the need to zoom in on the Earth. I would imagine they would be after as wide of a field as possible

But te website does not mention details for the photo, like the field-of-view, and the height above ground it was taken at. So without this information it is impossible to say if this is really flat (which you can never do), or just a tin piece of a sphere.

Do you find this information?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 11:34:48 PM »

Here is one

You can go pretty high, but dont expect to see the entire Earth at once. Also, not all the Earth is in sunlight at the same time so the rest gets very dark to see
How about a bit wider angle?

At what altitude do you see the curvature of the Earth? - Quora.
The explanation in there is worth reading.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 11:50:38 PM »

Here is one

Still looks pretty flat there. Why does it need to be a perfect 2D line? Whats wrong with a convex?

Know your place

?

alex314

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 12:00:00 AM »

Here is one

Still looks pretty flat there. Why does it need to be a perfect 2D line? Whats wrong with a convex?

Yes it looks flat. It looks 'flat' all around me.

But that does not prove the earth is flat. Maybe I am too close!

Also, I do not see radio waves, for example. But they do exist! (Just as an example of something cannot see, but it still exists).

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 12:04:46 AM »

Here is one

Yes it looks flat. It looks 'flat' all around me.

But that does not prove the earth is flat. Maybe I am too close!

Also, I do not see radio waves, for example. But they do exist! (Just as an example of something cannot see, but it still exists).

Yes and radio waves have been known to travel hundreds or even thousands of kilometers. On a spherical Earth they would go in a straight line which would go out into space (as the radio wave wont follow the curve).

Dont give me this bouncing of the ionosphere rubbish either. That was just a convenient plot device for NASA. If the ionosphere existed, The American government would have used it by now to cripple their rivals by destroying or disrupting it above the country to attack

Know your place

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 01:39:28 AM »

Yes and radio waves have been known to travel hundreds or even thousands of kilometers. On a spherical Earth they would go in a straight line which would go out into space (as the radio wave wont follow the curve).

Dont give me this bouncing of the ionosphere rubbish either. That was just a convenient plot device for NASA. If the ionosphere existed, The American government would have used it by now to cripple their rivals by destroying or disrupting it above the country to attack

You're wrong. First of all, ionosphere WAS indeed used before there were satellites as the addition to undersea cables for international communication. However, ionosphere communication was then very unreliable and during the cold war there was a threat, that undersea cables might be easilly destroyed by soviets to prevent the communication.
So the US military came up with the idea of creating an artificial ionosphere by launching 480.000.000 needles on 3500-3800 km altitude thus creating artificail dipole antennas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_West_Ford
It is very well documented, because some organisations protested against it.

So you provided kinda proof for the round arth.

Many amateurs use today ionosphere for their intercontinental communication. It's called skywave.
Like https://www.radio-workshop.co.uk/g4nsj-amateur-radio/
So either you add thousands of radio amateurs aroun the world to your conspiracy or just embrace the truth.

For many other solutions radio repeaters or relays must be used.
Here you'll find an interesting table of frqeuncies propagation and methods used:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_propagation

Gumwars

• A poke in your eye good sir...
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 05:11:07 PM »
Here is one

What we can conclude from this picture is that Earth isn't an infinite plane.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
We should endeavor to always keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 06:48:01 PM »
Do you want pictures of flat earth from space?
Maybe it would look like this:
         Or maybe like this:

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 08:08:55 PM »
What we can conclude from this picture is that Earth isn't an infinite plane.
Excellent point!  Any picture taken from altitude would not show a boundary with empty black above if the earth were flat and infinite.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 12:34:00 AM »

Here is one

In the wider angle pic, is it possible that the field of view extends further in the middle than at the edges, at this unfamiliar scale of thousands of km?  It looks flat horizontally (at sea or ground level), but i think it would even if it were curved, because you see the same distance in all directions... can't completely rap my head around it. However at that height, is seems that the field of view would likely extend further in the center.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 11:03:26 PM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 01:26:40 AM »

Here is one

In the wider angle pic, is it possible that the field of view extends further in the middle than at the edges, at this unfamiliar scale of thousands of km?
It is a much wider field of view, which allows more of the curvature to be seen.

From 100,000 feet up the horizon should be about 388 miles away.

Quote from: faded mike
It looks flat horizontally (at sea or ground level), but i think it would even if it were curved, because you see the same disatnce in all directions...
From any altitude the horizon is the same distance away all around the viewer and, for near sea level, that circle is being viewed almost edge one.
A circle viewed on is simply a straight line. Very care observation is said to show a very slight curve from a few hundred feet up but you need a long straight edge.

can't completely wrap my head around it. However, at that height, is seems that the field of view would likely extend further in the center.
It the earth is a Globe the view extends the same distance all around.

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 05:52:48 PM »

Here is one

How do we know this is a picture of earth?  it could be some image created completely in photoshop.   it could be some frame taken from a video of some 'alien' world.  The disbelief that flat earther's hold for any picture that purports to show a round earth, it also works the other way around.   You claim this picture shows a flat earth, but how do we know this picture isn't fake?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 09:47:12 PM »

Here is one

How do we know this is a picture of earth?  it could be some image created completely in photoshop.   it could be some frame taken from a video of some 'alien' world.  The disbelief that flat earther's hold for any picture that purports to show a round earth, it also works the other way around.   You claim this picture shows a flat earth, but how do we know this picture isn't fake?

Why would I go there and destroy my argument? I will cherry pick what is and is not acceptable to tailor my argument to be as 1 sided as possible.

Know your place

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 11:09:18 PM »

Here is one

In the wider angle pic, is it possible that the field of view extends further in the middle than at the edges, at this unfamiliar scale of thousands of km?
It is a much wider field of view, which allows more of the curvature to be seen.

From 100,000 feet up the horizon should be about 388 miles away.

It looks flat horizontally (at sea or ground level), but i think it would even if it were curved, because you see the same disatnce in all directions...
From any altitude the horizon is the same distance away all around the viewer and, for near sea level, that circle is being viewed almost edge one.
A circle viewed on is simply a straight line. Very care observation is said to show a very slight curve from a few hundred feet up but you need a long straight edge.

can't completely wrap my head around it. However, at that height, is seems that the field of view would likely extend further in the center.
It the earth is a Globe the view extends the same distance all around.

Forget about the curvature; "from 100 000 ft up the horizon should appear 388 miles away", so it might look like that being flat. Because at that height, 388 feet ahead and 388ft to the variuos directions is not going to look like a flat horizon.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 05:29:37 AM »
Forget about the curvature; "from 100 000 ft up the horizon should appear 388 miles away", so it might look like that being flat. Because at that height, 388 feet ahead and 388ft to the variuos directions is not going to look like a flat horizon.
That 388 miles away is for the Globe earth!
If the earth were flat, if the was a horizon it would be thousands of miles away, some might say an unlimited distance or the limit of daylight.

Don't ask me what that would look like - as far as I'm concerned the very existence of a sharp horizon virtually proves that the earth cannot be flat.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 03:11:35 PM »
That 388 miles away is for the Globe earth!
If the earth were flat, if the was a horizon it would be thousands of miles away, some might say an unlimited distance or the limit of daylight.

Don't ask me what that would look like - as far as I'm concerned the very existence of a sharp horizon virtually proves that the earth cannot be flat.

That sharp horizon on the image I posted could be indicative of what an infinite (or very very large) flat Earth looks like. All the image would show is there is no ice wall (or that the ice wall is beyond our sight and/or too small in height to make out) We aren't looking at the Earth from a birds eye view here, we are looking along the horizontal axis.

And if you look at an image (out of context) and you see a few degrees of curvature, do you automatically assume it MUST be spherical shaped? That is stupid

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 03:27:49 PM »
That sharp horizon on the image I posted could be indicative of what an infinite (or very very large) flat Earth looks like. All the image would show is there is no ice wall (or that the ice wall is beyond our sight and/or too small in height to make out) We aren't looking at the Earth from a birds eye view here, we are looking along the horizontal axis.
If the earth were infinite there couldn't be any edge to see.

"We aren't looking at the Earth from a birds-eye view here" but if:
         the same curve is seen in all directions and
         from such balloon flights in many locations on earth
we can deduce far more about the likely shape of the earth.

Quote from: Shifter
And if you look at an image (out of context) and you see a few degrees of curvature, do you automatically assume it MUST be spherical shaped?
No, I take that as evidence that the earth is 'not flat'. That is different.
But when such images all have a curve, no matter where on earth they are taken, it provides evidence that the earth could be a sphere-like object.

Quote from: Shifter
That is stupid
Sure and look who suggested it!

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 07:58:44 PM »

Here is one

Why would I go there and destroy my argument? I will cherry pick what is and is not acceptable to tailor my argument to be as 1 sided as possible.

I realize you aren't a "flat Earther", but that statement summarizes the entire FE mindset!
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

dodoceus

• Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »

Here is one

Ehrm, isn't anyone going to mention that this image has a horizon, and doesn't continue forever or have an ice wall &c? This image seems to prove round earth. Assuming those clouds are cumulus, this image must be about 30km up (weather balloon?), which gives a distance to the horizon of about 173.2km from the perpendicular intersection with the ground. That's a 1.5-degree curve we should see. That's nothing.

Now, once you are ready to shatter your beliefs;
wait for a non-cloudy day. Look at the ISS on https://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=25544. Pick a sighting opportunity with a high EZ, and do it at nighttime (also, as low magnitude as you can get--that's the brightness in the sky). You should see it as a star-like thing moving quickly through the sky--not as fast as an aeroplane but relatively fast (~5 minutes to go overhead). Try it. I have, I saw it with my own eyes. It passes every 90 minutes, although at slightly different inclinations due to the Earths rotation. Isn't science beautiful?
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.
— Hitchens's Razor

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

platte aarde is gewoon dom.

http:

Mikey T.

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 08:44:38 PM »

Holy shit, an honest response.   Abra cadabra I'm now in AR. 

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 08:55:15 PM »

Holy shit, an honest response.   Abra cadabra I'm now in AR.

What can I say? I'm an honest man  8)

Know your place

Omega

• Debating honestly even if no-one else will
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2019, 04:05:31 AM »
I am also curious how it is possible that those so-called photoshopped pictures of the earth match our maps perfectly.

We can check our maps and coordinates and match our current position to the ‘photoshopped’ globe.

How can this be if the earth isn’t round?
Only thing round in FE is its circular logic.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2019, 12:17:10 PM »
It would be strange if they didn't match.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Omega

• Debating honestly even if no-one else will
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2019, 05:34:40 AM »
It would be strange if they didn't match.

If the pictures match the maps, and the maps are accurate, the world is round. There is no other explanation possible.
Only thing round in FE is its circular logic.