Why doesn't NASA use spheroid CGI's instead of curve?

• 13 Replies

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • To Us Everywhere Flat Earth
Why doesn't NASA use spheroid CGI's instead of curve?
« on: September 05, 2019, 05:08:46 AM »
I want only NASA workers answer this one.

NASA constantly use perfect curve images and videos from ISS, satellites and rockets. But whenever we put forward a mistake about globalist theory, then its believers remind us its actually being a spheroid, but not a curve.

So;

if it was spheroid, why does NASA show us perfect curve? If it was a curve, so why do all globularists say its being spheroid? Which one is true? or, Do you have the freedom to choose what you want when you want depends on your requiretment?

Ignore list: boydster, Bullwinkle, Crouton, DuckDodgers, Hamzah, JackBlack, jdaniel0319, Junker, Jura-Glenlivet II, magellanclavichord, Mundin, NotSoSkeptical, rabinoz

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Why doesn't NASA use spheroid CGI's instead of curve?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 05:59:30 AM »

NASA constantly use perfect curve images and videos from ISS, satellites and rockets. But whenever we put forward a mistake about globalist theory, then its believers remind us its actually being a spheroid, but not a curve.

So;

if it was spheroid, why does NASA show us perfect curve? If it was a curve, so why do all globularists say its being spheroid? Which one is true? or, Do you have the freedom to choose what you want when you want depends on your requiretment?

I'm not a NASA employee (I'm past astronaut age ;D) but I doubt you'll find any here so, I'll have a go.

By the way the earth's shape as almost a perfect sphere was known for we'll over 200 years before NASA turned up!

The earth really is this shape and this is not a NASA composite but is a photo taken on a high quality film camera.:

Apollo 17 Mission
For the first time on an Apollo mission,
the Antarctic icecap was visible during the Apollo 17 translunar coast.
This full-disk view encompasses much of the South Atlantic Ocean,
virtually all the Indian Ocean, Antarctica, Africa, a part of Asia, and, on the horizon,
Indonesia and the western edge of Australia.

It is so close to being a perfect sphere that you could not tell the difference on a small photo.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 06:01:28 AM »

The difference between the major and minor axes lengths is only about three-tenths of a percent. A spheroid with such a small difference in length of its major and minor axes (like the earth) would look just like a sphere.

Which is what the NASA images show.

Macarios

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 07:09:55 AM »
If you reduce the size of the earth to 200 millimeters in diemeter,
then the difference between polar and equatorial radius would be 0.33 millimeters.
For the comparison, the thickness of the pencil line used to draw such circle will be 0.7 millimeters.

If you reduce the Earth's circle to diameter of 600 pixels, the semi-axis difference will be 1 pixel.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 07:17:17 AM »

That's an easy one and you don't need to be a rocket scientist, or even a receptionist at NASA, to know the answer.

When you say "perfect curve" I presume you mean "perfect circle" in images of a perfect sphere.

My question to you is how do you know the outline in the image is a perfect circle? Have you measured it? What were the dimensions? Do you know how much difference there is between the actual spheroidal earth and a perfect sphere? You really should find out facts like this before blurting out statements and accusations that are easily shown to be completely inane.

By the way, it's not NASA that determined the dimensions of the ellipsoids used as geodetic models. It's various countries' geodetic surveys that determined these. NASA and others do provide images of the earth from space, and these, of course, are consistent with the measured size and shape of the earth since they are photos of it. There are several ellipsoids now in general use, and each matches the actual earth slightly better in certain ways because they are all approximations, but they are quite close to each other because they are all measurements of the same thing - the almost perfectly ellipsoidal earth itself - and all show a flattening of about 1 part in 300. The differences between the models often result in differences of perhaps a few dozen meters out of almost 7 million meters from the center.

With this amount of flattening, you would expect to see up to 1 pixel difference between polar and equatorial diameter when viewing an image of the earth 300 pixels in diameter. But wait... there's more! Since an ellipsoid is a solid of rotation, the difference between polar and equatorial diameter is greatest when viewed from directly above its equator. If viewed from above one of its poles of rotation, its outline would be perfectly circular. From other vantage points, the difference decreases from its maximum above the equator until it vanishes above the poles.

So;

if it was spheroid, why does NASA show us perfect curve? If it was a curve, so why do all globularists say its being spheroid? Which one is true? or, Do you have the freedom to choose what you want when you want depends on your requirement?

<exaggerated image>

They are both true. The difference is just too small to see with a casual look, which is obviously all you have done before jumping to a completely incorrect conclusion.

[Edit] Clarification.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:29:46 AM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 09:05:57 AM »
By the way the earth's shape as almost a perfect sphere was known for we'll over 200 years before NASA turned up!
Actually, it's probably closer to 400 years as the French and English were arguing whether the earth was prolate or oblate at the end of the 16th century.  This controversy was settled with the geodesic survey in the 17th century.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 01:06:03 PM »

So;

I'm not a NASA employee (I'm past astronaut age ;D) but I doubt you'll find any here so, I'll have a go.

The earth really is this shape and this is not a NASA composite but is a photo taken on a high quality film camera.:

Apollo 17 Mission
For the first time on an Apollo mission,
the Antarctic icecap was visible during the Apollo 17 translunar coast.
This full-disk view encompasses much of the South Atlantic Ocean,
virtually all the Indian Ocean, Antarctica, Africa, a part of Asia, and, on the horizon,
Indonesia and the western edge of Australia.

It is so close to being a perfect sphere that you could not tell the difference on a small photo.

The original Blue Marble photo. My personal favorite. I have it as my desktop and my mousepad. It's also the screen on my phone. Why? Because I'm being born when that photo was taken. Six minutes after this photo, I screamed my first scream.
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 02:48:01 PM »
Too bad. It is a public forum, anyone can answer.
If you want an answer only from NASA, email them.

If you want to claim something is by NASA, you should provide a link to the NASA source. Far too many people produce doctored images/videos and claim they are from NASA just so they can't point out their manipulation they have done to it and claim NASA did it.

NASA typically doesn't use "CGI". The only time they do is with their composite photos, which most people would refer to as composite, not CGI.

But these photos don't show a perfect sphere.
Earth is only slightly off a perfect sphere.
The equatorial radius is 6378.1 km.
The polar radius is 6356.8 km.
That means the equatorial radius is roughly 100.3% of the polar radius.
So you are looking for that tiny 0.3 % difference. That will be quite hard to spot unless you have a known reference circle, or you measure it.

But lets look at the image you provided of an allegedly perfect sphere.
Well, it is 365 px wide and 355 px tall.
That sure doesn't sound like a perfect sphere to me.
In fact, its width is 103% of its height.

Yes, this doesn't match with what it was supposed to be. But my calculations were based upon a great circle, not a small portion of Earth as in your photo, and like I said, I don't even know where your photo came from or if it was altered already.

Looking at the one rab provided, it is 378 by 376 px. Much closer, and as close as you will likely get with the poorly resolved right hand side (due to darkness) and the resolution.

But if NASA was faking it, why do you think they would screw up and do it wrong?
You are suggesting they are extremely competent, capable of pulling off a massive conspiracy and fooling basically everyone, yet so incompetent they make such pathetic mistakes? That makes no sense at all.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 03:25:20 PM »
The original Blue Marble photo. My personal favorite. I have it as my desktop and my mousepad. It's also the screen on my phone. Why? Because I'm being born when that photo was taken. Six minutes after this photo, I screamed my first scream.
I'm afraid I go back a little further but Russia was kind enough to launch Sputnik I on my XXth birthday - where "X" is the unknown you're supposed to solve for ;).

And I heard the Sputnik "beeps" at 20.005 MHz on a friend's HAM radio - so I'll not forget or doubt Sputnik I.
Many other HAMs heard it too, St. Joe's High School Radio Club, Sputnik Beeps - Doppler Shift!

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 03:33:09 PM »

So;

Now show us a picture of the entire flat earth.
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 09:44:18 AM »

Why dont you ask nasa yourself directly and post the response.

dodoceus

• Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 11:11:04 AM »
To answer the titular question;

If you like scientific articles: a simple search returned S. Frank and K. Tauber (2008): On the implicatory notion of an elliptical curve, Elsevier journal (http://bit.do/S-Frank-and-K-Tauber-2008-on-the-implicatory-notion-of-an-elliptical-curve).

TL;DR a curve is like a bend.
An oblate spheroid is indeed like the shape in the image, but with a much, much smaller semi-axis oblateness.
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.
 Hitchens's Razor

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

platte aarde is gewoon dom.

http:

?

frenat

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 02:28:34 PM »

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 02:03:15 PM »
I find it hilarious that a flat earther would use images of the globe to prove that science is wrong!
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.