What are the best flat earth arguments?

• 56 Replies

Macarios

Re: What are the best flat earth arguments?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2019, 08:06:21 PM »

I deleted an experiment post to make post for a clearer one. The results of the experiment and what we actually observe is a great argument!

The sun above the sea: the horizon is 5 kilometers away, which is 2.7 nautical miles.
It is 2.7 arc minutes of curvature.
You have to bend your tin foil for no more than 2.7 arc minutes.

If the length of the cardboard is 40 centimeters, then the bulge has to be 0.03 centimeters = 0.3 millimeters.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

JackBlack

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2019, 03:04:25 AM »
I deleted an experiment post to make post for a clearer one.
Don't worry, that wasn't needed. It is still pure nonsense.

There are 2 reasons for the reflection to not go all the way:
1 - It is a specular reflection. In this case for a FE you should see the sun perfectly mirrored. For a RE you would see the sun mirrored, with a very insignificant (i.e. undetectable by the human eye) distortion due to the curve.
2 - The bulge at the centre is large enough such that it blocks the path of the light to the section of foil. But that would then mean the sun has set, or you are in the region still illuminated and thus the reflection goes all the way.

So that in no way proves Earth is flat.
If that is the best you have, you have nothing.

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2019, 04:42:19 AM »
I think we already have good sample of FE's "best arguments" in the thread. They mostly boil down to variations of these two basic arguments:

- it looks flat / where is the curvature?
- NASA bad, very bad
You must gather your party before venturing forth

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2019, 06:26:37 AM »
No, you're ignoring the thousands of threads with other arguments to focus on Plat Terra. A noob who posts memes.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2019, 07:56:24 AM »
No, you're ignoring the thousands of threads with other arguments to focus on Plat Terra. A noob who posts memes.

At least Plat Terra gives people something to talk about.

As you said yourself, “looks flat” pretty much sums it up for many flat earthers.  Or maybe “looks flat, NASA lies, and we’re all indoctrinated”

Macarios

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »
"Looks flat?"
Well, look again.

Stand on the flat ground (or at sea shore) and visualize a line from your feet away.
That line always bends slightly down and eventually gets hidden behind the horizon.
That way you will have your horizon at 3 miles from you and a top (not the bottom) of high hill or tall building visible several miles farther than that.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2019, 02:15:08 PM »
Cow Girl said earlier that a starting point for good arguments for the earth being flat is that "the earth looks flat - look out the window"!

What kind of argument is that?

Well, of course it looks flat when viewing a few hundred down the road! What would you expect the curvature to be like on a spherical object thousands of miles in diameter?

That argument is so lame it truly beggars belief and I am truly astonished that a human being can say such a thing. I mean, are you for real or what?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:20:43 PM by besters »

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2019, 02:16:17 PM »
If "Look out the Window" ranks as one of the best arguments for a flat earth I will literally LMAO!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2019, 02:20:16 PM »
If "Look out the Window" ranks as one of the best arguments for a flat earth I will literally LMAO!

You clearly have never looked  ::)

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2019, 02:30:25 PM »
Well of course I have, each and every day!

Yes, it looks flat... for about 50 or sixty feet.

And that is the Best Argument for a Flat Earth? That along with the argument that them folk at NASA are very, very naughty and are trying to make us believe stuff that isn't true. Like those astronaut folk who landed on the moon. That was all fake that was! Really? Tell me this is a dream and that people can't really exist who actually believe this nonsense!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:34:01 PM by besters »

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2019, 02:36:49 PM »
I guess some people just don't want to believe in things and would rather believe in hocus pocus, mumbo jumbo stuff like flat earth theories!

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »
I guess some people just don't want to believe in things and would rather believe in hocus pocus, mumbo jumbo stuff like flat earth theories!

You're going to have to do better than that because the only equal and appropriate response would be:

I guess some people just don't want to believe in things and would rather believe in hocus pocus, mumbo jumbo stuff like globe earth theories!

rvlvr

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:55:09 PM by rvlvr »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2019, 03:04:56 PM »
Calm down, besters.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2019, 03:22:37 PM »

You honestly think your brain has the capability to comprehend the infinite vastness of the universe? That your eyes see all there is to see? You are the fool here. Not those who open their minds to the possibilities

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2019, 03:29:49 PM »

You honestly think your brain has the capability to comprehend the infinite vastness of the universe? That your eyes see all there is to see? You are the fool here. Not those who open their minds to the possibilities

Have you opened your mind to the possibilities?
Or is space travel impossible.
We live on a giant ball in an even gianter solar system in an even gianter galaxy

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2019, 03:32:58 PM »

We live on a giant ball in an even gianter solar system in an even gianter galaxy

I have never said space travel is impossible. However humans are squishy, high maintenance, we don't live long and our bodies are fragile. Space travel in our current form is both stupid and a death sentence. You need to wait for the transhuman age before things can really take off for the colonization of space.

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2019, 07:16:15 PM »

I have never said space travel is impossible. However humans are squishy, high maintenance, we don't live long and our bodies are fragile.
Sure, but that is why crewed missions need a lot of life-support equipment.

Quote from: Shifter
Space travel in our current form is both stupid and a death sentence.

So says Shifter, but noth necessarily a death sentence!

And not much over a century ago exploring the Antarctic might have been considered "both stupid and a death sentence" but people did explore Antarctica.
About 15 (plus one cat) have died in Antarctic exploration plus more in private expeditions - yet people still go there.

More than 300 people have died attempting to reach the summit of Mount Everest - yet people still attempt it.

And an almost countless number died from numerous cause in earth exploration of the earth - but they still kept exploring!

To date, there have been 14 astronaut and 4 cosmonaut fatalities during spaceflight and at least 3 in training or launchpad activities.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2019, 07:28:20 PM »
To date, there have been 14 astronaut and 4 cosmonaut fatalities during spaceflight and at least 3 in training or launchpad activities.

Given the dangerous nature of the profession that's pretty low.

More people die playing sports or other jobs like mining etc.

I still believe that a journey in space lasting many months to years invites early death. For example, if we want to get to Mars, we need to not only terraform the planet first, but we need to get there much much faster than our current technologies allow.

All these people that wanted to sign up to this Mars One project... What did they think they would see when they got there? You cant breathe. You cant grow anything, the surface is blasted with radiation because there is no protective magnetosphere, the core isn't spinning and we haven't got the technology to restart a planets core which you will need if you ever wish the planet to hold onto an atmosphere. Mars, currently is a shitty candidate for colonisation yet we cant seem to get enough of it. Elon Musk even proposed a mind boggling stupid idea to Nuke the poles. Well the science is out and tears that idea to shreds lol

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2019, 08:56:01 PM »

Given the dangerous nature of the profession that's pretty low.

More people die playing sports or other jobs like mining etc.

I still believe that a journey in space lasting many months to years invites early death.
I'm with you on that one, at least till we have far better technology.

Still it's hardly an answer to, "What are the best flat earth arguments?"

« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2019, 08:16:02 AM »
No such arguments exist!
Could you summarize or point me to the best few arguments? I'm looking for just a couple of arguments that will give someone pause, to make them realize that they haven't thought this through.

Thanks.

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2019, 01:14:10 PM »
You're out of your mind! The earth is not flat, why is it so difficult to comprehend!?

Could you summarize or point me to the best few arguments? I'm looking for just a couple of arguments that will give someone pause, to make them realize that they haven't thought this through.

Thanks.
There are many. And you can easily prove our oceans don't curve with this simple experiment and observation. For best results, use  common sense without indoctrination.

I dont think any round earther has ever suggested that a table is constructed to follow the curvature of the earth
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 01:15:41 PM by besters »

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2019, 05:19:15 PM »
You're out of your mind! The earth is not flat, why is it so difficult to comprehend!?

How is 'it's not flat' a counter argument? Make your case. Also denigrating the person you are debating with only shows the fragility in the conviction of your own beliefs

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2019, 06:53:37 PM »
Also denigrating the person you are debating with only shows the fragility in the conviction of your own beliefs
Well, why is "denigrating the person you are debating" your usual tactic?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2019, 06:58:47 PM »
Also denigrating the person you are debating with only shows the fragility in the conviction of your own beliefs

Example please.

Know your place

rvlvr

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2019, 04:21:40 AM »
I've said this before, but what I find extremely curious is the willingness of FE to go along each other no matter how many different models they have. I'd think there'd be more infighting as many of them are in direct conflict, yet not much of that is seen. How can you be in agreement with someone when what they claim does not match what you believe know to be true? You have flat Earths, dual Earth, flat with two poles, flat with ice wall, and I don't know how many others. The whole "scene" is a mess.

And yes: I lived in the US, I'd go see a Space X launch. I don't think a single flatter has been to one. Must be a scary thought to witness one. (Although, of course, it goes to the Pacific or the Atlantic. So maybe scratch that.) In addition the efforts of other nations are brushed aside or bunched together with the great snake that is NASA and, I guess, Masons, and reptilians. All of them are in cahoots; Soviets were, China is, India is faking it too, Japan no doubt, and then there are the European nations.

Their psychosis is what keeps them together, it is the single factor they share.

EDIT: The whole mess reminds me a tad of a time I was a part of a group trying to secure funding for a project. Our presentation was a goddamn mess. And as we could not present a solid vision, we got fuck all. Which I later thought was more than fair, as thinking back I would not have given myself any monies for such a shoddy show. Kinda like FE. All over the place, with people who no one thinks of as being reliable or worth listening to.

You get your act together, present a solid front, I am sure there could be more people who were at least interested. As it stands FE appears to be a thing most common with "people with certain personality traits and cognitive styles"*. It is a bit of a turn-off for many, even if it is an interesting take on things, in a way. And, best of all, in most cases, thankfully harmless.

*https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180925075108.htm
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:15:47 AM by rvlvr »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2019, 04:39:15 AM »

Example please.
I probably should have said "criticising".