What are the best flat earth arguments?

• 56 Replies
What are the best flat earth arguments?
« on: September 03, 2019, 06:44:36 PM »
Could you summarize or point me to the best few arguments? I'm looking for just a couple of arguments that will give someone pause, to make them realize that they haven't thought this through.

Thanks.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: What are the best flat earth arguments?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 06:52:30 PM »
I suggest you spend some time reading threads.

The starting point is that the earth looks flat.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

alex314

• Truth, knowledge and science.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 10:04:50 PM »
Could you summarize or point me to the best few arguments? I'm looking for just a couple of arguments that will give someone pause, to make them realize that they haven't thought this through.

Thanks.

Thought about it, but I have non serious argument in favor of a flat earth. Asking for them also all the time - no response of something that makes sense!

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 10:30:08 PM »
FE has no real arguments From what I have seen, FE spend most of their time trying to find issues with RE and looking at NASA videos, rather than defending thier own model.

Yes the earth looks flat and the sun looks like it goes underground overnight.

You must gather your party before venturing forth

?

alex314

• Truth, knowledge and science.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 11:30:48 PM »
FE has no real arguments From what I have seen, FE spend most of their time trying to find issues with RE and looking at NASA videos, rather than defending thier own model.

I have never seen a complete flat-earth model, describing how it all works. Not even a tiny part of such a 'model'.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 12:50:10 AM »
There is even a prize for such a model, funded by someone on youtube. Ill try to find it.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • Backstage
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 01:00:21 AM »

Thanks.

You may to start by reading here:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=71901.0
boydster the angry globalist being a mod is my red line. During he continues to be mod, others will be ignored till infinity.

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 01:01:15 AM »

I have never seen a complete flat-earth model, describing how it all works. Not even a tiny part of such a 'model'.

JRowe had this whole model worked out. He used to post here years ago and was very proud and defensive of it. Jane, do you know where he may be?  8)

Stash

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 01:14:29 AM »

Thanks.

It's funny you should ask such a basic question and I'm having a hard time answering it. I think Space Cowgirl said it best twice; search around here and for two, by far, the best argument and almost only argument, is that it looks flat. When I say 'only' I just mean in the sense, if one were to take it at face value, FE wins, hands down.
If you and I were looking out over a vast ocean and you said, "See, it's flat, look how flat it is." I would retort, "Yes, it appears that way, but you have to understand, it's a huge globe, we are small, our field of view is thus and it only 'appears' flat, but it really isn't..." Cutting in you respond, "Ummm, yeah, whatever, look, it's flat," whilst gesturing out with a sweeping arm guiding my gaze horizontally across the line where water meets sky that is oh so straight and level in all directions.
That's just the brown fragile and flaky velum on the surface of the onion. You start peeling and you may never find any adequate answers, or you might. 

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 01:22:57 AM »

Thanks.

It's funny you should ask such a basic question and I'm having a hard time answering it. I think Space Cowgirl said it best twice; search around here and for two, by far, the best argument and almost only argument, is that it looks flat. When I say 'only' I just mean in the sense, if one were to take it at face value, FE wins, hands down.
If you and I were looking out over a vast ocean and you said, "See, it's flat, look how flat it is." I would retort, "Yes, it appears that way, but you have to understand, it's a huge globe, we are small, our field of view is thus and it only 'appears' flat, but it really isn't..." Cutting in you respond, "Ummm, yeah, whatever, look, it's flat," whilst gesturing out with a sweeping arm guiding my gaze horizontally across the line where water meets sky that is oh so straight and level in all directions.
That's just the brown fragile and flaky velum on the surface of the onion. You start peeling and you may never find any adequate answers, or you might.

Wait... So if we were to imagine if a single bacteria on the surface of an orange had eyes, that orange would look flat to it? And if you took that bacteria far enough away from the orange, its spherical shape would take hold?

Whoa, mind blown

Here's a thought experiment. Imagine a cross section of a pool table in 2 dimensions. You only see one 2D piece of it. As people are shooting pool and the balls roll across the table you would see these coloured points, turn into lines and back to points again (as the ball rolls past your field of 2D view). This flat lander would have NO WAY to construct what is REALLY going on. All he sees are colourful points, turning into lines, then back to points again at random. Yet in the 3D world we see people playing pool. How much more information about our reality does 1 spatial dimension bring us? Now imagine what we miss from being unable to see or interact with the 4th spatial dimension - and beyond.

?

dutchy

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 06:35:47 AM »
The best arguments in favour of a flat earth are :

1 There still isn’t a mechanical device/structure that demonstrates curving sea levels at appr. 8 inches per mile squared.

2 The authories , outlets and educational system under the authority of the globe earth notion have drawn a false impression about visible curvature and a supposed bulge without immidiatly correcting such flawed notions in school, on tv and everything in between.

3 No ordinary person has ever seen a ship go over the bulge without modern equipment, it was claimed (textbook reality) the ancient Greeks could see such a sighting using their eyes only.

4 Not that long ago  people ‘knew’ you could ‘see’ a slight curve from an airplane window at 30.000 feet.... heard it everywhere from everyone.

4 The ISS footage always show a dramatic curve when looking to earth

5 Only recently Neil deGrasse Tyson demonstrated with a big beachball on stage that one has to go to outerspace to see the tiniest of curvature to begin with.
The rest is to small for the flawed human eyesight to take into any reliable context.

Untill the flatearth movement none of the above was corrected and presented as the globe community has all of a sudden ‘repaired’ the globe misconceptions prior to the last decade.
To me it shows how convenient the crap of visible curvature/bulge ‘proof’ really was prior to 2000.
Why ? Why lie and ignore about well known facts before people are complaining ?

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:46:50 AM by dutchy »

mak3m

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 07:13:11 AM »

1 There still isn’t a mechanical device/structure that demonstrates curving sea levels at appr. 8 inches per mile squared.

Theodolite, new automatic level , Sokkia GRX2, Total Station, even my old Dumpy Level.

Although I can only demonstrate 80mm per KM
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:17:56 AM by mak3m »

?

dutchy

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 08:14:43 AM »

Theodolite, new automatic level , Sokkia GRX2, Total Station, even my old Dumpy Level.

Yawn..... no optical devices..... isn’t that clear when i mentioned device/structure ?

Something like Teed’s rectinileator to demonstrate a concave earth.
But the modern equivalent with pin point accuracy over at least a couple of miles.
Not based on whatever ‘optical’ phenomena.

mak3m

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 09:38:50 AM »

Yawn..... no optical devices..... isn’t that clear when i mentioned device/structure ?

Something like Teed’s rectinileator to demonstrate a concave earth.
But the modern equivalent with pin point accuracy over at least a couple of miles.
Not based on whatever ‘optical’ phenomena.

I cant use my eyes??? you might have me here.

mak3m

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 09:55:30 AM »

Thanks.
There are many. And you can easily prove our oceans don't curve with this simple experiment and observation. For best results, use  common sense without indoctrination.

I dont think any round earther has ever suggested that a table is constructed to follow the curvature of the earth

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »

Thanks.
There are many. And you can easily prove our oceans don't curve with this simple experiment and observation. For best results, use  common sense without indoctrination.

I dont think any round earther has ever suggested that a table is constructed to follow the curvature of the earth

Did I forget to mention “For best results, use  common sense without indoctrination.”?  Which you are not clearly displaying.
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

mak3m

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 10:29:55 AM »

Thanks.

Did I forget to mention “For best results, use  common sense without indoctrination.”?  Which you are not clearly displaying.

For simplicity sakes lets say your round earth table is 1 m long you are asking the observer to observe a deviation of 0.00008m

Plat Terra

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 12:29:40 PM »

I deleted an experiment post to make post for a clearer one. The results of the experiment and what we actually observe is a great argument!

The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

?

frenat

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 12:32:18 PM »

I deleted an experiment post to make post for a clearer one. The results of the experiment and what we actually observe is a great argument!

Plat Terra

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »

Thanks.

For simplicity sakes lets say your round earth table is 1 m long you are asking the observer to observe a deviation of 0.00008m

Let’s just make this real simple. There is no reason to hash out a non-ending argument with the opposition.

Light either bends over a curved surface under normal conditions or it doesn't. Which is it?

Simple question.

Plat Terra

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 12:42:12 PM »

Sun Glitter? Really?  Hahahaha  You guys are really desperate.

?

frenat

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 12:46:59 PM »

so you think the water is a completely smooth surface analogous to your aluminum? Hahahaha you are really desperate.

Plat Terra

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 01:17:29 PM »

so you think the water is a completely smooth surface analogous to your aluminum? Hahahaha you are really desperate.

It can be. Sure. See....

?

frenat

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »

It can be. Sure. See....

Are you changing arguments now? Those aren't the same as saying you can't get a reflection from the sun to stretch a longer distance to the observers feet. A reflection of a large object is completely different than a point source stretching into a line. All you're showing now is there is little distortion when you are very close to a curved mirror especially when the curve is very slight. Yet another fail from Plat Terra.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 01:31:09 PM »
You guys don't actually have to turn every thread into this boring slapfight.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 01:36:06 PM »

Desparate how?
There is a clear example shown by the caes in the rain.
Are you saying that photos of cars in the ran are produced by fake news nasa?

Your stupidass candle experiment will show that once the buldge blocks the line of sight, the reflection disappears.

As well as the many previous comments about refraction.

mak3m

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 02:38:07 PM »

Thanks.

Let’s just make this real simple. There is no reason to hash out a non-ending argument with the opposition.

Light either bends over a curved surface under normal conditions or it doesn't. Which is it?

Simple question.

Light travels in waves and a straight line simultaneously

In quantum terms it can do either independantly depending if its observed

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 03:04:14 PM »

And just how does the light know its being 'observed'.

You guys want to shit on flat earths 'bendy light magic' then I will shit on the idea that light is sentient

mak3m

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 03:08:07 PM »

And just how does the light know its being 'observed'.

You guys want to shit on flat earths 'bendy light magic' then I will shit on the idea that light is sentient

I added that for completeness

It has been observed (no pun intended) last time I checked it was still up for debate.

Its Quantum Physics it is beyond me, so I would not use it to evidence a point but as I said added for completeness.

rabinoz

• Ranters
  • Real Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 05:59:53 PM »

You are certainly desperate! The ocean water in the above photos is rippled and far from a mirror-like surface - surely even YOU can see that!

And your "argument" would prove that the road reflecting the car headlights is perfectly flat ::). But any properly constructed road has camber (a curve) built in.

Your "proofs" are getting ridiculouser and ridiculouser!

Quote from: Plat Terra
It can be. Sure. See....

Sure it CAN ;D but in the sun path photos the water ins not mirror-like.

And in those two photos, there is no sun and no indication of the distance so they are completely irrelevant! Try again.

Now look at the reflections off the waves in your original meme.
Waves are curves in the water surface and look at the near side of the far wave - the sunlight is even reflecting off the ripples in that - QED You have NO case!.