“Sigma Octantis” and the Infinite Plane?

• 105 Replies

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
Re: “Sigma Octantis” and the Infinite Plane?
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2019, 07:30:37 PM »
General and simple observation of all trails shows all southern stars trails are in fact not as not as narrow as the north?  Why?
Your empty unsupported words are not good enough! Show photos or other evidence demonstrating your assertion.

What are you and he afraid of? Gumwars doesnt want to answer because of a why? His words below.

The issue is I usually don't answer questions with questions but I need to know why you feel that's significant.

He knows they are but is afaid of the question
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:39:25 PM by Plat Terra »
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Stash

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2019, 07:36:13 PM »
General and simple observation of all trails shows all southern stars trails are in fact not as not as narrow as the north?  Why?
Your empty unsupported words are not good enough! Show photos or other evidence demonstrating your assertion.

What are you and he afraid of? Gumwars doesnt want to answer because of a why? His words below.

The issue is I usually don't answer questions with questions but I need to know why you feel that's significant.

He knows the answer.

He did answer:

Plat, I'm asking because I don't understand how the presentation of a star-trail is of any importance to their existence.  Without knowing what equipment was used to record the video in question, I can't give you a straightforward answer.  The aperture of the camera and size of the lens all determine how much light can be pulled in during the recording which can vary the results greatly.  After watching the video in question, I would say the difference is probably due to the equipment.

So, why does that matter?

So did I:

I'm not even sure what you mean by "narrow". And your general and simple observation means the general and simple observation of the images that you googled, right?
In any case, the way to create a star trail photograph is with a long exposure. Depending upon the lens used, the Fstop and duration of exposure, the trails could be thick, thin, narrow, wide, bright, dim, broken, or like a stream.

What's your point?

Plat Terra

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2019, 07:38:16 PM »

He knows the answer.

He did answer:

Plat, I'm asking because I don't understand how the presentation of a star-trail is of any importance to their existence.  Without knowing what equipment was used to record the video in question, I can't give you a straightforward answer.  The aperture of the camera and size of the lens all determine how much light can be pulled in during the recording which can vary the results greatly.  After watching the video in question, I would say the difference is probably due to the equipment.

So, why does that matter?

So did I:

I'm not even sure what you mean by "narrow". And your general and simple observation means the general and simple observation of the images that you googled, right?
In any case, the way to create a star trail photograph is with a long exposure. Depending upon the lens used, the Fstop and duration of exposure, the trails could be thick, thin, narrow, wide, bright, dim, broken, or like a stream.

What's your point?

I used the wrong word and made an edit.

He knows they are but is afaid of the question. And I am going by his first reply.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:43:57 PM by Plat Terra »
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2019, 07:43:11 PM »
He knows they are but is afaid of the question.
Nobody is afraid of the question.  The question is vague and irrelevant.  The width of the southern star trails isn't nearly as significant as the fact that they exist in the first place.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Gumwars

• A poke in your eye good sir...
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2019, 07:45:50 PM »

Alrighty, logic lesson time.  So let's break down your response:

"General and simple observation of all trails shows all southern stars trails are in fact not as narrow as the north.

The use of the word "all" is a universal quantifier.  Universal quantifiers are dangerous to use when discussing anything because it needs to be true every time.  I just used a universal quantifier, "anything", but I'm comfortable with how I deployed it.  When you state "all trails", it needs to be true every time.  If I can show that to not be the case, even if its only once, your statement is no longer true. 

Returning to my first response on this topic; Plat, its due to the camera. 

Polaris:

Sigma Octantis:

There appears to be more stars in the vicinity of Polaris, but it the star trails in both images don't seem to be any more or less pronounced in one over the other.

Again, what's the significance?
Quote from: Carl Sagan
We should endeavor to always keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

Plat Terra

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2019, 07:48:11 PM »
Nobody is afraid of the question.  The question is vague and irrelevant.  The width of the southern star trails isn't nearly as significant as the fact that they exist in the first place.

I can see you know the trails are not as narrow as the North and understand even though you used the word vague.  Thank you!

"The width of the southern star trails isn't nearly as significant"

Stash

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »

I can see you know the trails are not as narrow as the North and understand even though you used the word vague.  Thank you!

"The width of the southern star trails isn't nearly as significant"

Huh? What are you on about?

I used the wrong word and made an edit.

He knows they are but is afaid of the question. And I am going by his first reply.

It doesn't matter whether you edit your post to change a word or whether Gum's question was for more information in his first reply. Your question has been answered even though there's no relevance to be asking the question in the first place. What is your problem now? You seem to have a lot of problems.

Gumwars

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2019, 07:53:22 PM »

Plat, I'm not even the slightest bit concerned about the question.  I'm asking because it seems extremely off topic.  I'm trying to tie the two together and I can't see a relationship between the two.  I detect a red herring, but I need you to confirm it before I call you out.
We should endeavor to always keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2019, 07:57:15 PM »

What's your point?
Likewise.
There are more bright stars in the Southern Hemisphere night sky and had tried to get him to post his photos to see if that's what he meant.

But it seems it's "situation normal" for Plat Terra!  As usual he has nothing and knows nothing!

Plat Terra

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2019, 07:57:52 PM »

Plat, I'm not even the slightest bit concerned about the question.  I'm asking because it seems extremely off topic.  I'm trying to tie the two together and I can't see a relationship between the two.  I detect a red herring, but I need you to confirm it before I call you out.

Explain why Sigma Octantis cannot be viewed as high above the horizon as Polaris.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:08:44 PM by Plat Terra »

Stash

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »

Explain why Sigma Octantis cannot be viewed as high as Polaris.

What do you mean by "viewed as high"?

Question for you: Why are you obsessed with Sigma Octantis?

Gumwars

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2019, 08:09:46 PM »

Do you mean elevation?  If that's what you mean then it would be dependent on where in the world you are viewing it from.

The star closest to the celestial pole is Sigma Octantis.  It is a little off, when compared to Polaris:

But is close enough.  Just like Polaris, the further south you travel, the higher it will present in the night sky.  If you stood on the geographic south pole, it would be nearly indistinguishable from being directly overhead. 

Plat Terra

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2019, 08:10:16 PM »

Explain why Sigma Octantis cannot be viewed as high above the horizon as Polaris.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2019, 08:12:35 PM »

As has been pointed out before, the elevation of Polaris or Sigma Octantis depend on the latitude from which the photo was taken!

I thought everybody knew how to find their latitude from Polaris!
Use the Altitude of Polaris to Find Latitude
Sailors and travelers have used Polaris, also known as the North Star, for centuries to locate their position on the surface of the Earth. Polaris is the brightest star in the constellationUrsa Minor, whose seven brightest stars form the Little Dipper. Polaris is the brightest star at the end of the tail of the Little Dipper and is useful because it is the only starthat does not appearto move in relation to a specific location on Earth. Polaris cannot be seen from south of the equator.

The altitude of a star is the measurement in degrees of the angle of the star above the horizon. Flat out on the horizon is 0° and straight up in the sky is at 90°, which has a special name, the zenith.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
<< see the rest at the linked site. >>

But I misjudge the ignorance of some flat earthers, especially you, Plat Terra!

Gumwars

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2019, 08:12:56 PM »

Did you read my reply?

Plat Terra

« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2019, 08:14:29 PM »

Do you mean elevation?  If that's what you mean then it would be dependent on where in the world you are viewing it from.

The star closest to the celestial pole is Sigma Octantis.  It is a little off, when compared to Polaris:

But is close enough.  Just like Polaris, the further south you travel, the higher it will present in the night sky.  If you stood on the geographic south pole, it would be nearly indistinguishable from being directly overhead.

Explain why Sigma Octantis cannot be viewed as high above the horizon as Polaris on video, camera (picture) or telescope.

Stash

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

You mean Octantis isn't as high from a Latitude south of the Equator as Polaris is from an equal Latitude north of the Equator?

Gumwars

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2019, 08:16:28 PM »
Explain why Sigma Octantis cannot be viewed as high above the horizon as Polaris on video, camera (picture) or telescope.

Okay, let me be more specific, did you understand my reply?

Plat Terra

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2019, 08:19:14 PM »

Okay, let me be more specific, did you understand my reply?

Yes I understood your words and graph. Now do you  understand mine?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2019, 08:20:53 PM »

elevation, geographic south pole, latitude.
I don't think Plat Terra understands words of more than four letters so words like elevation, geographic south pole and latitude seem meaningless to him.

Somehow we've got to dumb it down to the "The cat sat on the mat level" for him. Is there a kindergarten teacher around when we need one?

Plat Terra

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2019, 08:24:15 PM »

I don't think Plat Terra understands words of more than four letters so words like elevation, geographic south pole and latitude seem meaningless to him.

Somehow we've got to dumb it down to the "The cat sat on the mat level" for him. Is there a kindergarten teacher around when we need one?

I understand the star map but explain why Sigma Octantis cannot be viewed as high above the horizon as Polaris on video, camera (picture) or telescope.

Stash

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2019, 08:27:44 PM »

I understand the star map but explain why Sigma Octantis cannot be viewed as high above the horizon as Polaris on video, camera (picture) or telescope.

Again, do you mean Octantis isn't as high from a Latitude south of the Equator as Polaris is from an equal Latitude north of the Equator?

Plat Terra

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2019, 08:29:07 PM »

Again, do you mean Octantis isn't as high from a Latitude south of the Equator as Polaris is from an equal Latitude north of the Equator?

No, that's not my question. Read it again.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2019, 08:33:27 PM »
  • Who claimed that "Sigma Octantis cannot be viewed as high above the horizon as Polaris"?
  • As has been explained before the height Sigma Octantis or Polaris appear in a photo depends on the latitude the photo was taken from!
Sigma Octantis can be viewed directly overhead from the South Pole! This place:

Stash

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2019, 08:33:56 PM »

Ok...why Sigma Octantis cannot be viewed as high above the horizon as Polaris? From where? Where is it being viewed from?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2019, 08:35:03 PM »
What part of the relationship between the elevation of Sigma Octantis and the latitude of the observer do you not understand? ???
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Gumwars

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2019, 08:37:50 PM »
Yes I understood your words and graph. Now do you  understand mine?

Your response here indicates that you didn't understand my reply.  I understand you just fine.  What you don't seem to grasp is that the elevation of Polaris and Sigma Octantis is completely dependent on where each star is viewed from. 

90% of the Earth's human population lives in the northern hemisphere.  The distribution of landmass closer to the north pole is also greater in the norther hemisphere, meaning there will be more photos and videos of Polaris, at greater latitudes, which in turn means we get more photos and videos of Polaris at higher elevations in the night sky.

Sigma Octantis is a more remote star to view at higher elevations.  Here it is from New Zealand:

Here it is when viewed from Antarctica:

One more time:

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2019, 08:39:28 PM »
You question is meaningless because Sigma Octantis can be viewed as high as Polaris within a few tenths of a degree!

So stop insisting on an explanation of something that is not true!

Plat Terra

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2019, 08:43:28 PM »
You question is meaningless because Sigma Octantis can be viewed as high as Polaris within a few tenths of a degree!

So stop insisting on an explanation of something that is not true!

From where with video, picture, latitude? Please

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2019, 08:44:04 PM »
Of all the woes facing our planet how does a flat earth help anything...
Maybe you could change you signature to "With all the woes facing our planet do we need a flat earth to add to them..."?