“Sigma Octantis” and the Infinite Plane?

• 105 Replies

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
“Sigma Octantis” and the Infinite Plane?
« on: August 31, 2019, 12:02:35 AM »
I never heard of  “Sigma Octantis” until a couple days ago. I find the mystery very interesting considering an infinite Plane and a couple of old maps.  I hear the star is a puzzle that needs to be solved.

I like to think outside the Ball. So, you never know till you ask.  Are there any star constellations that resemble these 5 continents?

((Edit--Well,  after further research about the possibility of Sigma Octantis and how it would work on our Plane Earth, I have to admit, I’m a bit embarrassed because I was duped again by more tales of a Globe theory. They have a history of making up crap and say if you don’t believe this then you’re stupid and want to live in the caveman days. This is much like when they try to pass off a mountain casting a shadow on the bottom side of clouds during a sunset. They say this is 100% proof of sphere earth and you’re an idiot if you don’t believe so. But it is clear it’s a weather phenomenon that happens once a year. They  have been  painting a globe for a long time with all types of tales deceiving the innocent. It’s really a shame.

During my research, I did find some interesting things and changed my meme to reflect the same)) 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 12:30:26 PM by Plat Terra »
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
Re: “Sigma Octantis” and the Infinite Plane?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 12:07:20 AM »
I never heard of  “Sigma Octantis” until a couple days ago. I find the mystery very interesting considering an infinite Plane and a couple of old maps.  I hear the star is a puzzle that needs to be solved.

I like to think outside the Ball. So, you never know till you ask.  Are there any star consolations that resemble these 5 continents?

You realize that the Gleason map is just a projection of a globe, right? A primer on globe projections:

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 12:15:22 AM »

I like to think outside the Ball. So, you never know till you ask.  Are there any star consolations that resemble these 5 continents?

star "consolation"?
You must gather your party before venturing forth

Plat Terra

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 12:28:56 AM »

star "consolation"?

It's late  :o.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:08:08 AM by Plat Terra »
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Plat Terra

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 12:59:02 AM »

You realize that the Gleason map is just a projection of a globe, right? A primer on globe projections:

NO, and you are wrong again. Most are Flat maps and people are made to think they are projections of a Globe. The Gleason Map has Antarctica surounding waters' edge. Get use to it!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:08:28 AM by Plat Terra »

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 01:45:12 AM »

NO, and you are wrong again. Most are Flat maps and people are made to think they are projections of a Globe. The Gleason Map has Antarctica surounding waters' edge. Get use to it!

Actually no, I'm right. They are all globe projections. Gleason included. Hate to burst your bubble. Well documented as such. As for Gleason's specifically, from his patent request for his map, TIME CHART. No. 497,917. Patented May 23, 1893.

"The extorsion of the map from that of a globe consists, mainly in the straightening out of the meridian lines allowing each to retain their original value from Greenwich, the equator to the two poles."

https://patents.google.com/patent/US497917A/en

Get used to it.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 02:33:04 AM »
No, just because you "never heard of  'Sigma Octantis' until a couple days ago" does not mean "the star is a puzzle that needs to be solved."
All it means is that you seem ignorant about astronomy too.

Quote from: Plat Terra
I like to think outside the Ball. So, you never know till you ask.  Are there any star constellations that resemble these 5 continents?
Why could that possibly be relevant?
The South Celestial pole and Sigma Octantis are directly overhead of the South Pole and over 53° above the horizon at the southern tip of South America.

Wonderful! You take a hoax map and invent a whole new hypothesis about southern stars from it. Have you forgotten this?

Hawaiian Gazette January 11, 1911

As I wrote in a blog post discussing this article, the following article comes to us from the January 11, 1907 edition of the Hawaiian Gazette and alleges to be a map of the world made in Japan more than 1,000 years ago. But as critical readers will notice, the story has more than a few hints of the Zeno Map story. As with that infamous map, this one is also a redrawn modern copy of an allegedly ancient map unseen by anyone. Like the Zeno Map, the original was also allegedly rotten with age, explained by a mysterious ancient letter unseen by anyone else, and it also serves to glorify the geographic areas connected to its “discoverer.” In this case a Japanese resident of Hawaii found a map in Japan that was ignorant of Madagascar, Greenland, and Polynesia but somehow managed to include Hawaii front and center!

There’s a pretty good indication that the journalist who wrote the piece knew it was a hoax: He compares it to James De Mille’s 1888 novel Manuscript found in a Copper Cylinder, a satirical tale of an underground world.
Run away and stop foisting more flat earth hoaxes on us!
Just looking at the map should prove it''s not a genuine 1000 year old map!

Was This World Map Made Ten Centuries Ago?
1000 years ago none of the West coast of South America, New Zealand nor Australia were known.
But South America was known to be much close to Africa than on that known hoax map!

So, rather obviously the basis of your hypothesis is nothing more than a hoax perpetrated around the start of the last century!

As I've post elsewhere, it's not just Sigma Octantis that you have worry about but all the Southern Constellations.
First there are the Southern Circumpolar Constellations such as the bright Centaurus and the Southern Cross.
Then there are many more that can be seen almost the time from far enough south.

And these constellations are not just visible in those countries but everywhere around the Southern Hemisphere.

Please learn a little of what is already known about astronomy before inventing your own new astronomy!

Plat Terra

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 09:34:04 AM »
Are there any star constellations that resemble these 5 continents? And how would it relate to Sigma Octantis?

I find this very interesting. What are the chances?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:21:24 PM by Plat Terra »

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »
Are there any star constellations that resemble these 5 continents? And how would it relate to Sigma Octantis?

I fing this very interesting. What are the chances?

What's even more interesting is how you ignore verified and easily verifiable evidence for flights of fancy and fantasy because it is what you want to believe.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 01:14:04 PM »

What are the chances of what? That someone took an AE north pole centered globe projection map and drew some blobs around it back in 1907 and sent it into a Hawaiian news paper claiming its origin similar to a popular work of fiction at the time? That's all this "map" is.

Plat Terra

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »

What's even more interesting is how you ignore verified and easily verifiable evidence for flights of fancy and fantasy because it is what you want to believe.

Only you can prove to yourself Earth is not a Sphere. I have done this for myself. Now that I have proved Earth's not a sphere but an infinite Plane, I have a new challenge, a new world to figure out. Sigma Octantis is a key to more knowledge and as you will soon see it’s really a blunder for the Globe theory.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 01:41:39 PM »

Only you can prove to yourself Earth is not a Sphere. I have done this for myself. Now that I have proved Earth's not a sphere but an infinite Plane, I have a new challenge, a new world to figure out. Sigma Octantis is a key to more knowledge and as you will soon see it’s really a blunder for the Globe theory.

Sigma Octantis, a star you heard about for the first time a few days ago, is now the key to more of your 'knowledge'? Looking forward to the forthcoming memes chock full of this knowledge you speak of. And if they are anything like the knowledge you've presented so far that you haven't been able to defend, well, then we'll just have to dismiss them like the rest. Godspeed.

?

frenat

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 01:57:59 PM »

You've proven nothing except you don't understand the subject you argue against. EVERY ONE of your arguments has been shot down.

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 02:44:49 PM »

There's only one thing to do then:

Follow the star as far as it leads.
Nullius in Verba

Gumwars

• A poke in your eye good sir...
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 02:55:54 PM »
I never heard of  “Sigma Octantis” until a couple days ago.

Shocking.[/sarcasm] 

Plat, the fact that a proponent of the Earth being flat is unaware of a southern constellation is not surprising.  All southern constellations are problematic for the Gleason map.  The further south you go, the more paradoxical the issue becomes.  I selected Sigma Octantis because the paradox is the most severe for that particular celestial object.

I find the mystery very interesting considering an infinite Plane and a couple of old maps.  I hear the star is a puzzle that needs to be solved.

As I've pointed out before, it isn't a puzzle, it is a paradox.  If you assert the world is flat, with the north pole at its center, then the location of Sigma Octantis is paradoxical; it must necessarily be in multiple locations at the same time.  Because we don't see dozens of southern polar stars littering the night sky, we know that the Gleason map must be incorrect.

[Insert completely irrelevant crap here]

This has nothing to do with the Southern Cross.  Let's try this another way:

This is the same day/night terminator map I presented on your other thread.  This particular projection of planet Earth has the south pole represented as the entire bottom edge of the image.  If I asserted this is what the flat Earth looks like, the problem with Sigma Octantis remains; because it is a polar star (actually a constellation) it cannot be in one location, like it is in reality, but would need to be visible at every point along the bottom edge of the image.  We know this is not the case in reality, so we know that this projection of planet Earth must not be its shape in reality.

Substitute the Gleason map and now the south pole is represented by the entire circumference of the disk.  Sigma Octantis must now be visible at every point around the disk, which we know isn't the case in the real world.  If you substitute the Gleason map with an infinite plane, the problem doesn't go away.  In fact, it enhances the problem because there is no south pole at that point.  If the Earth is an infinite plane, it doesn't matter where on the plane we are; it is infinite so we are always surrounded by the same amount of landmass (an infinite amount) so cardinal directions are only relevant to the center of the liveable area on the plane.  That would be the north pole.  However, in the real world navigation works (and has worked for centuries) using either pole as a point of reference.  The south pole really exists as does the Southern Cross.  It is a fixed constellation in the night sky and is not found anywhere other than over the south pole. 
Quote from: Carl Sagan
We should endeavor to always keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 03:31:50 PM »
Only you can prove to yourself Earth is not a Sphere. I have done this for myself.
No, you have not proven that the "Earth is not a Sphere".

All you've proven is that you are incapable of understanding or accepting the abundant evidence for the Globe that has accumulated over 2000 years of more.

Now that I have proved Earth's not a sphere but an infinite Plane
Since you have not "proved Earth's not a sphere" and certainly not proven that it is "infinite Plane" the rest of this post is meaningless!

I have a new challenge, a new world to figure out.
Irrelevant until you finally prove that the "Earth is not a Sphere" and that it is an "infinite Plane".

Sigma Octantis is a key to more knowledge and as you will soon see
Hardly!

it’s really a blunder for the Globe theory.
Not in the slightest! Sigma Octantis is merely a tiny 5.47 magnitude star close to the one South Celestial Pole that is directly the Geographic South Pole.

Sigma Octantis is near the centre of this frame from the video of star trails fro both the Northern and Southerm Hemispheres:

Video of Northern vs Southern Hemisphere Startrail & Timelapse 2015 by jungynz

And not the slightest problem for the "Globe theory".
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 02:29:33 AM by rabinoz »

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 04:16:58 PM »

Explain this blunder that you speak of.

Plat Terra

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 06:04:00 PM »
In the following video a Flat Earth claims someone is faking southern star trails with northers trails. The location is Sydney. What are your thoughts? Is he right?

He also has a video showing Sigma Octantis to be moving? Hmm

Does anyone he have any videos of star trails down south?

Flat Earth: Sigma Octantis, Why You So Shifty? (Southern Stars)

Plat Terra

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 06:09:48 PM »
What Southern Star trails (videos) can I trust are real? Are there any from South America or New Zealand you trust to be real?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 06:15:24 PM »
What Southern Star trails (videos) can I trust are real? Are there any from South America or New Zealand you trust to be real?
How can you trust any evidence that contradicts your worldview?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 06:37:16 PM »
In the following video a Flat Earth claims someone is faking southern star trails with northers trails. The location is Sydney. What are your thoughts? Is he right?

In the video, the first static shot shown of the Opera house with trails behind it is by a photag named Charles Summer. His image description is:

"Star Trails over the Sydney Opera House
Southern Hemisphere star trails stacked over a night image of the Sydney Opera House. The stars seem to rotate around Sigma Octantis."

When he states, "stacked over a night image of the Sydney Opera House" makes me think he photoshopped it. But his photo isn't meant for an FE v RE debate. He's just a photag making pretty compositions. Nothing nefarious. If I'm right about the photoshopping and someone else is using it for some sort of FE v RE debate, then yeah, that's a problem.

As for Sigma Octantis moving, we've been over this, it does, slightly. It makes a small circle. But it's the closest thing we have to a south pole star. Polaris is brighter and almost stationary.

The rest of the video is just Globebusters babbling on about this and that trying to get likes, subs, and views and keep people entertained for hours. No substance.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 06:47:05 PM »
I did say all of them until I saw that faked one that you posted to bolster up your weak case against the Globe!

Silly me to trust YOU! Never again! Look, JackBlack and I live in Australia and know what they should look like and you don't!

And yes, there are Southern Star trail videos from South America or New Zealand that I trust to be real.

But If you want star trails from South America or New Zealand go look for them yourself. I couldn't care less what you might trust!

By the way that "Gleason's Map" is nothing more than a North Polar Azimuthal Equidistant Projection of the GLOBE!
It is not and can never be a "flat earth map" because:
  • It's distances in the Southern Hemisphere are grossly in error. I know because I live here, you don't!

• There have been numerous crossings of Antarctica and quite a number of transpolar circumnavigations going to both poles! .
    Some have been by air, at least on by vehicle and ship and on, Mike Horn, unaided by powered vehicles.

• The one and only South Celestial Pole is due south of every location!
If you disagree, the onus is on ONUS is on you to prove your case if you ever hope the "RE Community".

<< Added bit about fraudulent videos! >>
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 04:55:59 AM by rabinoz »

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 10:25:43 PM »

Did the makers of this video travel to the southern hemisphere and filmed the star trails themselves? Because that would be the reasonable thing to do if they wanted to prove anything.

Millions of people live in the southern hemisphere, people have eyes and can look at the sky. The southern celestial pole is real, get used to it.
You must gather your party before venturing forth

JackBlack

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 12:09:51 AM »
It isn't just Sigma Octantis, it is all the stars in the south, even the sun during the southern summer.
They all appear to circle a point due south.
You can't get that by just adding in 5 lighthouses.
You would need entire sets of stars, and then you need to address why no one has ever found a point where there are 2 such regions of stars observable.

Also, with how you have drawn it, it wouldn't always be due south.

So still no FE solution.

There are basically no flat maps.
Instead there are plenty of projections of the globe which people present as a flat map.

The Gleason projection was even labelled as such.

Only you can prove to yourself Earth is not a Sphere.
Sure, it isn't a perfect sphere, but no sane person thinks that.
I have proven to myself beyond any sane doubt that Earth is round.

It seems no one is capable of proving Earth isn't roughly spherical, most likely because it is roughly spherical.

I wouldn't be surprised if a FE decided to fake it so they could expose it as a fake.
But I am yet to see anyone do that with the very real and observed star trails.
If they are videos, you can see what the stars are and tell they aren't the northern stars.
You can also do that to some extent with a picture, but it is much harder.

What Southern Star trails (videos) can I trust are real?
If you want to play that game, go and observe them yourself.
In fact, if you aren't too far north, then go and get a camera with a very wide angle lens (or fish eye lens), and set it up pointing due south (geographic, not magnetic) pointing an angle downwards equal to your latitude (e.g. if you are 30 degrees north it should have an angle of dip of 30 degrees). Then take a timelapse. You will observe the same star trails.
You don't need to be in the south to observe the southern star trails. You just need to be south of the equator to observe the south celestial pole and have the stars circle below it.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 04:46:55 AM »

You might very well say, "Hmm", if you expect us to fall for trickery!
You dare to post a video that uses a "Composite Photo" to prove your deception!

Sigma Octantis is "So Shifty" because (1) it is 1° from the South Celestial Pole and (2) You use a video that uses "CGI"!

Have you forgotten what I said about Sigma Octantis? Read this again!
Polaris is only about 0.73° from the North Celestial Pole and Sigma Octantis is about 1° from the South Celestial Pole.
So this is exactly what we would expect!

Plat Terra - Sigma Octantis Rotating about South Celestial Pole
So, not the slightest problem for the Globe!

Then you show a video of the South Celestial Pole seeming to be in the wrong direction over the Sydney Opera House as in this frame:

From the video that YOU posted:

Plat Terra's - Composite Southern Star Trails over Opera House
          What appears to be the source of the image used:

Underneath the photo it explicitly says a Composite Photo!

Plat Terra, when will deception end? That video is a known Composite of Southern Star Trails over Opera House! That second image in from: WildImages

So you post a "fake video" in a low attempt to prove your pathetic case!

Plat Terra you have totally lost all credibility. Run away and hide you face!

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2019, 04:50:21 AM »
Plat Terra is Shifter and I claim my $10.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2019, 04:58:39 AM »
Plat Terra is Shifter and I claim my $10.
Surely Shifter isn't as deceptive as the Flat Terror has shown himself to be!

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2019, 06:28:13 AM »

Proved infinite?
Haha
How did you go about doing that?
I mean aside from proving it by travelling an inf disrance in one direction.

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2019, 06:38:36 AM »

Easy.

Southern Star Trail videos will have stars rotating clockwise.

Northern Star Trail videos will have stars rotating counter-clockwise.

Explain that with your flat earth.

I couldn't careless what they superimpose on the video.  If the star trail rotates counter-clockwise it's a video of northern stars.  If the star trail rotates clockwise it's a video of southern stars.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 06:43:13 AM by NotSoSkeptical »
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2019, 06:45:45 AM »

Easy.

Southern Star Trail videos will have stars rotating clockwise.

Northern Star Trail videos will have stars rotating counter-clockwise.

Explain that with your flat earth.

I couldn't careless what they superimpose on the video.  If the star trail rotates counter-clockwise it's a video of northern stars.  If the star trail rotates clockwise it's a video of southern stars.

You dont need to trust any videos.
Go outside.
Go on vacation to S argentina.