General Question About FE Video Gaming Habits

• 38 Replies

Macarios

Re: General Question About FE Video Gaming Habits
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2019, 09:16:11 PM »
Though if you're a physics nazi you might not like the "astrophysics", as ship movement is more like being under water than in a vacuum (people have written some cool lore as to why this pocket of the universe has fluid like properties).   

For physics Nazis, it looks like Infinity Battlescape is finally about to drop on early access.

Apparently it has full sized planets you can fly down to seamlessly, Newtonian physics with no fake space speed limit, and all that.

Its a big multiplayer battle  stretched over a realistic scale solar system.  So probably not really my thing, but it does look really, really pretty.

https://inovaestudios.com/Battlescape

From $30 to $550?
In advance?
For yet another microtransaction pool (pay-to-win)?

I can play WoW TBC for free at Warmane, or PWI for free at Epic PW.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

rvlvr

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2019, 01:25:23 AM »
Proper player owned factions would be the thing. I half hoped by now theyd have an EVE Lite.

Could you elaborate on this a bit more?  I'm not super familiar with how it works in EVE.
There are EVE players who can do it better. But in a nutshell: the whole economy is based on player actions. You need someone to mine minerals, someone to set up the market place, some to guard the "caravans" transporting the goods, the pirates need a base, they need a fence, you need accountants to go thru the books, someone to enforce the law. So a complete virtual society.

Need not be that deep, of course. But at the moment the player feels completely disconnected from what is happening in Elite as their actions bear no meaning (except for some powerplay goals).

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2019, 02:24:56 AM »

From $30 to $550?

but . . . for $550 you get a sticker on your spaceship.
A real genuine Digital STICKER!

:D

Macarios

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »

From $30 to $550?

but . . . for $550 you get a sticker on your spaceship.
A real genuine Digital STICKER!

:D

Actually, that's an advantage.

I can peel it off whenever I want.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Shifter

• Blind to the truth
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2019, 09:16:27 PM »
Flat Earther could not possibly enjoy video games. Roundies don't have as much 'suspension of disbelief' to content with but flatties? The entire premise of the show or games is fake to begin with!

I can live with a Star Trek transporter which can 'beam' hundreds of people at once over vast distances instantaneously, forgetting the fact that each person probably has ~7x10^27 atoms and each atom could have (at current simulations) 88bits (position, velocity, forces etc). That could be as much as 616,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bits

Transfers take time. Our fastest transfer speeds to date would take over the age of the universe to move that much data. Maybe just take a shuttle??

However, using the Bekenstein Bound, you could have as much as 2x1045 bits of data. That would be you right down to the quantum level. Try storing that on a hard drive! You could stack that information on a stack of 1TB flash drives. As long as your stack is larger than the diameter of the observable universe 31/2 times over. ~2 sextillion septillion bits makes you, you.

And of course, it's not possible to measure an atoms velocity and position at the same time due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle but hey! We got Heisenberg compensators!!!  8)

But hey! My suspension of disbelief still allows me to watch Star Trek beam hundreds of people willy nilly but a flat earther watching a movie or playing a game based on a universe that has spherical shaped planets? Cant see that happening. If the mods here like playing or watching any sci fi genre game or show that depicts a universe that has a round Earth, then they are trolls.

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 03:54:45 AM »
I can live with a Star Trek transporter which can 'beam' hundreds of people at once over vast distances instantaneously, forgetting the fact that each person probably has ~7x10^27 atoms and each atom could have (at current simulations) 88bits (position, velocity, forces etc). That could be as much as 616,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bits
It's a bitch trying to do this on a 56k modem, I can tell you.    Especially if you can't remember your AOL password.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 08:26:25 AM »
Though if you're a physics nazi you might not like the "astrophysics", as ship movement is more like being under water than in a vacuum (people have written some cool lore as to why this pocket of the universe has fluid like properties).   

For physics Nazis, it looks like Infinity Battlescape is finally about to drop on early access.

Apparently it has full sized planets you can fly down to seamlessly, Newtonian physics with no fake space speed limit, and all that.

Its a big multiplayer battle  stretched over a realistic scale solar system.  So probably not really my thing, but it does look really, really pretty.

https://inovaestudios.com/Battlescape

From $30 to $550?
In advance?
For yet another microtransaction pool (pay-to-win)?

I can play WoW TBC for free at Warmane, or PWI for free at Epic PW.

I followed these guys a little a while back and was even on the forum for a while.  They are 100% against micro transactions, at least anything that gives a competitive advantage.

The crowd funding tiers were really just for a small group of their hardcore supporters who followed them for about a decade and wanted to contribute to the project.  The only advantage is access to alpha and beta builds, which means a small number of people will have had quite a bit of practice already. Everything else is cosmetic.

Its only a few guys who gave up their day jobs to work on this.  Expecting them to make it free is a bit much.

mak3m

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 01:13:37 PM »
I used to dabble with online  FPS games Counter Strike mainly, hal life mod.

Dabbled with strategy games, struggling to remember the name, think it was age of empires, that was a flat earth 😊

Played original Elite back in the day, is EVE online the one with in game currency, with real world value, and factions/clans evolved naturally within it. Sure I read something last year or the year before about some incident or mistake that led to the two largest factions clashing and tens of thousands of dollars worth of kit got wiped out? Mental
You have to learn to reply without quoting a long previous answer.

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 04:58:55 PM »
Proper player owned factions would be the thing. I half hoped by now theyd have an EVE Lite.

Could you elaborate on this a bit more?  I'm not super familiar with how it works in EVE.
There are EVE players who can do it better. But in a nutshell: the whole economy is based on player actions. You need someone to mine minerals, someone to set up the market place, some to guard the "caravans" transporting the goods, the pirates need a base, they need a fence, you need accountants to go thru the books, someone to enforce the law. So a complete virtual society.

Need not be that deep, of course. But at the moment the player feels completely disconnected from what is happening in Elite as their actions bear no meaning (except for some powerplay goals).

Is it FTP or is there a monthly fee?
With all the woes facing our planet do we need a flat earth to add to them...