Central Pillar

• 13 Replies
Central Pillar
« on: August 26, 2019, 05:33:07 AM »
The central pillar of flat earth belief is obviously the idea that the earth is a flat plane. On this site, it appears that their take on it is that the earth is not only flat but is an infinite plane. Sounds absurd but, recently on another thread, John Davis mentioned the existence of evidence:-

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=82854.msg2197266#msg2197266

Now I have searched, but I found scant to no actual evidence to support the claim. As this is quite central to flat earth belief it would be interesting to have explained the 'compelling' evidence that has been said exists, particularly from John Davis as he counts himself as one of the acknowledged experts of this subject. If that is indeed the case then he should have all the answers. I look forward to hearing them.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Re: Central Pillar
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 05:48:44 AM »

Now I have searched, but I found scant to no actual evidence to support the claim.

Put on new gloves and start digging again?

You don't want answers, you just want to bloviate.   

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »

Now I have searched, but I found scant to no actual evidence to support the claim.

Useless and unnecessarily hostile post.

Lonegranger already said (s)he had searched the site for evidence.

You could at least say if you think evidence has been presented before even if you can’t be arsed linking to any.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 12:00:41 PM »

He says that every other post.
(s)he is disingenuous at best, full of crap at least.

Think twice before you cahoot with (s)him.

Or do anything you want, I don't care.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 12:12:50 PM »

You could at least say if you think evidence has been presented before even if you can’t be arsed linking to any.

I'm afraid that's the kind of abuse one gets for asking a straightforward question. I referenced the comment made by John Davis, and if you care to read the comment and then search the FE wiki there is no information that one could consider to be evidence. So the question I ask is valid, where is the evidence Davis is referring to? As this is indeed a central pillar of FE belief one would have imagined that there would be a link to some documentation.
I think the comments from Bullwinkle demonstrate that some people have little interest in debate and just want to be Trolls and abuse people.
I'm a he by the way...lol

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 12:15:00 PM »

Whatever.  I couldn’t find any evidence for this idea either.  So unless I hear otherwise, I’m going with “there is none”.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 12:15:49 PM »

Whatever.  I couldn’t find any evidence for this idea either.  So unless I hear otherwise, I’m going with “there is none”.
That's exactly why I asked the question.
I actually thought that behavior such as Bullwinkles was a total no-no in this area of the forum.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:19:02 PM by Lonegranger »

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 01:14:59 AM »
More than 100 since Earth not a Globe was published and still not a single flatearther has bothered to travel to the edge of the world and bring some evidence of what is on the other side, be it an abyss, the infinite plane, the foundations of the dome or whatever they believe they will find.

Not a single one, or maybe some went there and fell off.
You must gather your party before venturing forth

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 04:18:34 AM »
More than 100 since Earth not a Globe was published and still not a single flatearther has bothered to travel to the edge of the world and bring some evidence of what is on the other side, be it an abyss, the infinite plane, the foundations of the dome or whatever they believe they will find.

How would one make it to the edge of an infinite plane? How long do you think that journey might take?

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 05:23:27 AM »

How would one make it to the edge of an infinite plane? How long do you think that journey might take?

I didn't write to the "edge of the infinite plane", but to the "edge of the world", meaning the known world. That would be for example Antarctica or whatever each individual infinite plane believing flatearther thinks is separating us from the rest of the infinite plane.

I can imagine if we travel far enough on an infinite plane at some point we will go beyond the edges of the known world and find some new continents or new oceans, or the dome or something that hasn't been chartered yet. right?

You must gather your party before venturing forth

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 07:04:09 AM »

That's a very good point, and that was something John Davis said about in reference to his trip to South America when he encountered some penguins, a picture of which he posted. He referred to 'when he was 'near the edge'. If you remember he tried to get a flight to Antartica, but due to some problem, he was unable to get on the flight. Perhaps he could explain in his own words.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 09:48:32 PM »

I didn't write to the "edge of the infinite plane", but to the "edge of the world", meaning the known world. That would be for example Antarctica or whatever each individual infinite plane believing flatearther thinks is separating us from the rest of the infinite plane.

I can imagine if we travel far enough on an infinite plane at some point we will go beyond the edges of the known world and find some new continents or new oceans, or the dome or something that hasn't been chartered yet. right?

One problem I see about an a infinite plane is not so much finding the edge, but more with how it would interact with all the other, planets, sun, galaxies etc. In the Cosmos!

The other problem is why no part of this infinite plane is observable. One would have  imagined that if one went high enough it would be seen stretching off into.......infinity!

The other problem is why anyone would put forward such an idea and claim to have evidence, but never reveal it.

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 11:52:37 PM »

One wouldn't. But if one provided evidence of Earth far beyond Antarctica, that would certainly be evidence of a startling nature.
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 10:27:03 AM »

One wouldn't. But if one provided evidence of Earth far beyond Antarctica, that would certainly be evidence of a startling nature.

What I find extraordinary is no flat earther has taken the opportunity to fully explain the concept. It does make one wonder considering it’s their core belief.......the flat earth.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:12:11 PM by Lonegranger »