Let’s hear if for the Indians.

• 9 Replies
Let’s hear if for the Indians.
« on: August 23, 2019, 11:37:09 PM »
Well the Indian Satellite launched last month is now on orbit around the moon. It’s due to make a landing in early September to a pretty unknown region of the moon near its South Pole.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/aug/22/spacewatch-india-moon-mission-lunar-orbit-chandrayaan-2

Chandrayaan 2 is on a mission unlike any before. Leveraging nearly a decade of scientific research and engineering development, India's second lunar expedition will shed light on a completely unexplored section of the Moon — its South Polar region. This mission will help gain a better understanding of the origin and evolution of the Moon by conducting detailed topographical studies, comprehensive mineralogical analyses, and a host of other experiments on the lunar surface. While there, we will also explore discoveries made by Chandrayaan 1, such as the presence of water molecules on the Moon and new rock types with unique chemical composition. 

Quite an achievement, I’m sure you’ll agree.

Hamzah

• The Exposer Of Insecurities
Re: Let’s hear if for the Indians.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 11:41:06 PM »
I wonder how much according to flat earth idea does India gets payed for making stuff up like launching a satellite. What do you think, Lonegranger?
Deaf, dumb, and blind, they will not return (to the path). Al-Baqara (The Cow) - 2:18

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 11:47:39 PM »

Way more exciting than providing running water to their people.

rvlvr

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 06:26:04 AM »

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 06:48:33 AM »

This must be a first, but I agree with you up to a point, though the same comment could well be leveled at the USA which to has poverty of a different kind and not quite on the scale of India.

Hamzah

• The Exposer Of Insecurities
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 06:59:36 AM »

This must be a first, but I agree with you up to a point, though the same comment could well be leveled at the USA which to has poverty of a different kind and not quite on the scale of India.

Yes, I was thinking about that, too. India should think about improving themselves. But then again, how much does it cost to build a satellite and to lunch it? It is estimated that a single satellite launch can range in cost from a low of about $50 million to a high of about $400 million. There are 1.3 billion people in India. It's like saying every person payed 70 cents to build the satellite. I'm pretty sure the satellite has its usefulness for India and it's neighbors.

Every street has 2 sides.

Deaf, dumb, and blind, they will not return (to the path). Al-Baqara (The Cow) - 2:18

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 07:22:18 AM »

The poor in the USofA have cell phones and refrigerators.
The poor in India have curable diseases.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 07:26:34 AM »

But then again, how much does it cost to build a satellite and to lunch it? It is estimated that a single satellite launch can range in cost from a low of about $50 million to a high of about $400 million.

Add the cost of design and testing. Cost is 50X more.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 09:32:31 AM »
Yep, I have seen one of their sting of pearls of small satellites.
With Cartosat-2c
When you watch them go by in a telescope, I have to keep moving the telescope West to keep the string centered. The amount of drift matches from our changing perspective from our rotation.
Astronomer, photographer, and astro-photographer for 51 years. Satellite observer for 3 years, satellite builder in the 80's. Telescope maker and familiar with optical theory and designs. Machinists and machine tool programmer.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 10:27:08 AM »
Yep, I have seen one of their sting of pearls of small satellites.
With Cartosat-2c
When you watch them go by in a telescope, I have to keep moving the telescope West to keep the string centered. The amount of drift matches from our changing perspective from our rotation.

Astrophotography is always something I would have loved to have done more of, though living where I do cloudy skies are a big problem.