The Candle Experiment

• 121 Replies

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: The Candle Experiment
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2019, 05:19:35 PM »
Oh my! More quackery from the round earth box. Any experiment that proves the earth is not round must be a troll! I must be the village idiot, attempting to dupe round earthers into performing a failing experiment!
I have not ever claimed that your "Candle Experiment" might "prove the earth is not round". Quite the opposite.

It won't! It would seem to show that that the earth has a radius of less than 165 miles.

So, be my guest and get some thin light Dyneema fibre (or better if you can find it), stretch it to its limit and embarrass yourself!

I dare you to do it!

Gumwars

• A poke in your eye good sir...
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2019, 06:08:57 PM »
Oh my! More quackery from the round earth box. Any experiment that proves the earth is not round must be a troll! I must be the village idiot, attempting to dupe round earthers into performing a failing experiment!

I find it very humorous that many here are claiming such an experiment is impossible, when one baller has already completed the task, albeit he seems to have not followed directions. He even goes so far to say it is extremely well thought out - thank you kindly Stash.

Very curious as to the results of your attempt at the experiment. I do however worry that there was a methodological issue with your implementation or the gathering and analysis of your results as I have performed this experiment many times and have always come to the conclusion that the earth must not be round. Did you make sure to repeat the experiment until you had a suitable dataset as instructed? Did you take note of the shadows which showed no change in angle?

I am still eagerly awaiting lone grangers attempt of this most wondrous experiment. Surely it will pull the wool from his eyes and restore his sight and reason to know for a fact that the earth is not some whirly gig and his shoes do not contain magnets that adhere him to its surface - and of course that I am indeed the most prolific scientist of 2019.

To the rest of you, I know buying the proper twine and tying it twice is quite the impossible task for the average round earther. More so, performing this action with gusto must be right out. I forgive you in advance if you are not up to the task. After all, we all knew when this thread started that the roundies would come and hand wave away any evidence while providing little to none of their own to justify this. Its the same thing they do in every thread. If I was trolling you roundies in this thread, you'd certainly have it coming.

I am more than willing to perform your so called experiment and have made simple requests for information to further that goal.  As I anticipated, you've ignored those questions while simultaneously calling out another member for incorrectly performing the experiment, which is a given considering the scant amount of detail you provided.

The only conclusion anyone can reach regarding your position here is that you are a liar, plain and simple.  This thread is proof of it; as I pointed out to you in our brief exchange over peer-reviewed content, the purpose of having your methods being clear and well stated are for exercises such as this.  In the absence of clear direction and information on your part, we have no ability to faithfully reproduce your experiment.  The only reason you would deliberately avoid providing that data is because you are aware that this exercise is faulty and cannot be reproduced with the results you claim. 

You are a liar Mr. Davis.  That much is clear in this whole affair.  Should you provide the information requested, I will gladly retract my position and openly offer an apology.  However, I expect you to be incapable of providing answers to those questions as we are both aware that you did not perform this experiment. 
Quote from: Carl Sagan
We should endeavor to always keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2019, 08:41:47 PM »
-snipped for readability

Those calculations don't tell it all though. I don't think that there is a single stretch of land on the entire planet that doesn't have some elevation over 400 meters. Albeit a single mm. And if you do such an "experiment", you have to account for elevation. Measure it beforehand. Also, the height of the sticks should be the exact same. Not a nanometer difference or it will influence your experiment.

Tell me Mr Davis, how did you account for all that? As you're calling people out for not performing (yes, it is no more an experiment than a performance) it correctly we would like to know how to do it. All the details please. You must've witten them down since you reproduced the experiment multiple times.

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2019, 11:45:42 PM »
Very curious as to the results of your attempt at the experiment. I do however worry that there was a methodological issue with your implementation or the gathering and analysis of your results as I have performed this experiment many times and have always come to the conclusion that the earth must not be round.

Cut the crap, provide some photos of these bemused crowds and the experiment. Burden of proof is on you.

« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2019, 12:50:00 AM »
This topic is so amusing.  ;D

Thank you John Davis, you are a great entertainer.

mak3m

« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2019, 02:03:29 AM »

As a one-two-punch you can then note that the shadows are at the same angle on these sticks - showing that the charlatan Eratosthenes was a fool.

Hi John,

Can you take me through how you measured the horizontal and vertical angle of the sticks.

Ta
You have to learn to reply without quoting a long previous answer.

rvlvr

« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity.

« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2019, 10:28:52 AM »
So you're going to cite an experiment you never even attempted to perform as proof of something?  No wonder Tom Bishop and you can't stand each other.

« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
So you're going to cite an experiment you never even attempted to perform as proof of something?  No wonder Tom Bishop and you can't stand each other.

Because Tom Bishop is all about properly validating evidence?

« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2019, 02:43:20 AM »

Because Tom Bishop is all about properly validating evidence?
I think it's just two blatant liars winding each other up with their lies.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2019, 06:22:08 PM »
The candle experiment PROVES that the earth is flat in the simple way shown By John. It is irrifutable.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2019, 07:30:40 PM »
The candle experiment PROVES that the earth is flat in the simple way shown By John. It is irrifutable.
The candle experiment PROVES that John doesn't understand the tensile properties of twine.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2019, 07:34:37 PM »
If you have performed it yourself, would you care to share your results along with unbiased witnesses and photographic evidence, of course.

If you have not performed it yourself you cannot claim that "the candle experiment PROVES that the earth is flat".

Over to you, Narc!

« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2019, 09:41:48 PM »

The fake candle experiment proves only, that flat earthers does not seek the truth.

Well, at least until we see some image documentation of these crowds - shall we?

« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2019, 10:46:00 PM »

The fake candle experiment proves only, that flat earthers does not seek the truth.

Well, at least until we see some image documentation of these crowds - shall we?

The candle experiment offered up by the flat earth president also proves flat earth is all about causing mischief.

Let's talk about the sticks used in the experiment - just any old stick from any old tree? How straight should your stick be? Or the land you conduct the experiment on - try and find 400 meters of land which is perfectly level the entire length, with no crests - you won't. Why did he not suggest using the surface of a lake at least 400 meters in length? Then the "twine". How quaint! Are you still living in 1885, John, where they sell twine at the local store? Actually, from the look of your avatar, you probably pretend you are. Why was heavy fishing line not considered, instead of "twine"?

The candle experiment is up in smoke. Smoke and mirrors from Mr Mischief maker himself!

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2019, 12:01:39 AM »
If you really want to get down to the semantics of it all, I suppose an experiment designed so that it could never be performed would make it's hypothesized outcome irrefutable.

Everyone knows Davis was just in a trolling kind a mood, right?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2019, 12:50:02 AM »
If you really want to get down to the semantics of it all, I suppose an experiment designed so that it could never be performed would make it's hypothesized outcome irrefutable.

It's much worse than that (for the flat earth).
If the best available cord (probably Dyneema) were used and tensioned to the max it would seem to show the earth a far smaller sphere than it really is - no more than a few hundred kilometers in diameter ;D.

So is John Davis really a closet globularist ::)?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2019, 01:04:35 AM »

It's much worse than that (for the flat earth).
If the best available cord (probably Dyneema) were used and tensioned to the max it would seem to show the earth a far smaller sphere than it really is - no more than a few hundred kilometers in diameter ;D.

So is John Davis really a closet globularist ::)?

After you and your NASA buddies killed John Davis last year, he's not just a closet globularist but a globularist leader! Now working to undermine the Flat Earth Society as its secretary and leader. Are you so petty rab that because you kept losing arguments you had to have John Davis killed? I bet it was your doing. It seems your style

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2019, 03:01:03 AM »
After you and your NASA buddies killed John Davis last year, he's not just a closet globularist but a globularist leader! Now working to undermine the Flat Earth Society as its secretary and leader. Are you so petty rab that because you kept losing arguments you had to have John Davis killed? I bet it was your doing. It seems your style
Keep your stupid drivel to the lower fora where you belong!

rvlvr

« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2019, 05:38:42 AM »
I killed John.

I was young, and needed the money.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2019, 06:10:50 AM »
I killed John.

Thanks for "coming clean" :). I didn't want to dob you in just to "clear my name" ;D.

« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2019, 06:29:45 AM »
I killed John.

You just can't go around killing people!

rvlvr

« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2019, 06:30:41 AM »
Us conspirators have to stick together. Secrecy is our weapon.

Oh, and now that Shifter saw thru our ruse I guess it does not matter to let him know we have replaced John with an inbred son of an Alabaman politician. He was cheap, so we have more monies to allocate to CGI crap posed as NASA footage.

rvlvr

« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2019, 06:31:14 AM »
I killed John.

Sorry 'bout that :(

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2019, 06:31:42 AM »
I killed John.

Sure you can.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2019, 06:45:07 AM »
I killed John.

Sure you can.
You can. but you really shouldn't.  Some people consider that to be quite rude.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2019, 06:50:52 AM »
I killed John.

Sure you can.
You can. but you really shouldn't.  Some people consider that to be quite rude.

True.  There are consequences for such actions, but consequences don't preclude action.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Macarios

« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2019, 07:24:06 AM »
Oh, and now that Shifter saw thru our ruse...

... he's the next one to be replaced.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

rvlvr

« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2019, 07:34:02 AM »
Oh yes.

« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2019, 08:11:05 AM »
Oh, and now that Shifter saw thru our ruse...

... he's the next one to be replaced.

And typically, the subject being copied is terminated.