The Candle Experiment

• 121 Replies

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
The Candle Experiment
« on: August 23, 2019, 01:39:18 PM »
The disproofs of a round earth are so plentiful and readily available that we can show its absurdity with ease at the beck and call of any globularist - just don't expect such a man (or woman!) to accept their defeat but instead you will be privy to the greatest show of mental acrobatics this side of the plane. I am sure we will see some such acrobats visit this very thread.

Procure the following items, and keep them securely in a map-case should the need arise to dumbfound those whose ideas are founded in dumbness. The rational man will have to reject any round earth slumgullion immediately upon seeing the results.

• A candle.
  • A ball of twine, 1320 feet. This should cost approximately 61 dollars.
  • Two good sized, sturdy sticks approximately half a meter in length.
  • A box of matches

In preparation, take out your pocket knife - which any good field experimenter should have readily on hand at all times - and make notches at equal heights on both wooden sticks.  Do the same on both ends to allow yourself the ability to plant these on a level surface at an even height, accounting for both where the string will be tied as well as the amount of stick that will be thrust into our flat earth - preferably with gusto. The top line should be at such a height that it extends past the bottom line plus two inches - including the height of an average flame from said candle.

Next, find the center of the twine, and mark it appropriately with a permanent black marker. This will let you know at what point your candle should lie beneath the twine.

Now you are prepared. When questioned about the perceived absurdity of a flat earth, smile your largest grin while opening your map-case. Procure the sticks and plunge one of them into the ground at the prescribed height.

Be ready for confusion at this point, but take no note of it. The round earther is religious beast and is not often accustomed to seeing real science at work. He may mistake the entire ordeal for a ritual and in these cases you will be unable to convince him or her that they are in actuality wankers.

Next, tie one end of the string to this pole. Walk until the string is taught, to the point that the string is level and the stick sturdy. Plunge the second stick into the ground here, and fasten the other end of twine to the pre-marked location on your rod. Travel back your course, and place the candle underneath the pre-marked black line.

Now, light the candle while explaining that should the earth indeed have such a curvature - the candles flame would be touching said black line. Unfortunately for those globularist, the flame will not touch the twine, showing the predicted drop in curvature of two inches is not observed.  If necessary, repeat this experiment a number of times and localities to rule out local variances skewing the results.

As a one-two-punch you can then note that the shadows are at the same angle on these sticks - showing that the charlatan Eratosthenes was a fool.

At this point yell in triumph: "Sockdolager!" for the matter has been suitably settled. The earth is not some whirlidirly ball dancing about the heavens in a celestial race - no it is flat as a cupboard shelf.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:51:39 PM by John Davis »

Re: The Candle Experiment
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 01:56:10 PM »
So if I get this right, you think you can pull a 1320 foot length of twine (an oddly specific length) so it sags less than 2”?

Good luck with that.  I’d expect this experiment to fail spectacularly even if the earth was flat.

Have you actually tried this?  I’m guessing no.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »
All your fieldcraft looks interesting, I suppose, but I'm not sure why you need to go to all that bother. Take a photo of the full moon, I assume you live in the northern hemisphere, phone a friend in Australia and ask them to take a pic of the full moon, Im sure Rabinoz, would be happy to help, and compare the photographs, job done, the earth is a sphere and its cost the price of a call to OZ, and no string required which you can get all tangled up in. I suppose you may require to wear protection while you are taking yours, but that's cool.

This is the kind of result you will get is explained here by this guy on a bike.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 02:18:14 PM »
All your fieldcraft looks interesting, I suppose, but I'm not sure why you need to go to all that bother. Take a photo of the full moon, I assume you live in the northern hemisphere, phone a friend in Australia and ask them to take a pic of the full moon, Im sure Rabinoz, would be happy to help, and compare the photographs, job done, the earth is a sphere and its cost the price of a call to OZ, and no string required which you can get all tangled up in. I suppose you may require to wear protection while you are taking yours, but that's cool.

This is the kind of result you will get is explained here by this guy on a bike.

Yeah, this would be much easier. Twine on 400 meters? Good luck with this. Besides, why you guys won't launch a stratospheric balloon (with some standard camera lenses)? It's like around 200-300 $ with all the electronic equipment, and you would get it for once...

Macarios

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 02:34:27 PM »
1320 ft is 0.4 km
It is 0.2 km left and 0.2 km right from the center of the bulge.
Each side of the Earth's curve is lower than the center by
6371km x [1 - cos(360/40000x0.2)] = 6371km x 4.93 x 10-10 = 2.8 millimeters.

Claiming that you should expect even a single inch of bulge there is shameless deception.

Adding the sentence like
"The round earther is religious beast and is not often accustomed to seeing real science at work"
into it is just a failed attempt to reverse the roles.

(BTW, the distance of 0.4 km covers 0.0036 degrees, ofcourse the shadows of both sticks will look the same.)

Find me a ground that has no 3 millimeter (or full centimeter) imperfection anywhere along 0.4 km.

EDIT: What is the weight of your twine and what force will be needed to keep it really straight? Will it withstand that force?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 02:47:56 PM by Macarios »
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 02:44:45 PM »

EDIT: What is the weight of your twine and what force will be needed to keep it really straight? Will it withstand that force?

Too much
Too much
No

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »
Might be better to use fishing line instead of twine.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Macarios

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 02:50:26 PM »
Might be better to use fishing line instead of twine.

Nylon (and fishing line) has been invented only much later, in 1938.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »
And here come the acrobats! Quite the entrance of gladiators, would you not say?

An oddly specific number indeed. It is of course a fourth of a mile, and the dip for a mile is predicted by the globularist academic community to be eight inches. I trust that globularism has not rotted your brains such that you can't perform simple arithmetics and divide an octuplet such that you get its quarter.

It is stated clearly that one must walk until said string is taught, and put the sticks in such that this is the case. If you can't follow simple instructions, I don't know if I can help you globularists. Is it really so difficult to the believer to tie an appropriate twine to two sticks? I have done so myself many times to the bemusement of many. When done in more urban areas, which obviously would fit this experiment well, it often draws quite a crowd. Bring a music box to give the entire ordeal a fanciful rhythm!

It is clear that these globularists are too spooked by my 'scary magic' that they will not even attempt to properly execute this experiment themselves. It is said that the man who thinks he knows something can be taught naught, yet those with an open mind might find themselves able to learn. This is in action this very day as you rotunders flip to and fro from mental trapeze sets to avoid facing up to the fact that there is no way the earth could possibly be some sort of round ball.

As a matter of course, it is of necessity to actually perform an experiment to properly refute and debunk it. There is even less doubt in my mind that the ball head refuses to even entertain scientific notions, their mind too atrophied from considering nonsenses and piecing together incoherences to properly reason.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 03:09:16 PM by John Davis »

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 03:08:35 PM »
they are in actuality wankers.
I'm totally sigging this.

And points to Macarios.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 03:12:43 PM »
And here come the acrobats! Quite the entrance of gladiators, would you not say?

An oddly specific number indeed. It is of course a fourth of a mile, and the dip for a mile is predicted by the globularist academic community to be eight inches. I trust that globularism has not rotted your brains such that you can't perform simple arithmetics and divide an octuplet such that you get its quarter.

It is stated clearly that one must walk until said string is taught, and put the sticks in such that this is the case. If you can't follow simple instructions, I don't know if I can help you globularists. Is it really so difficult to the believer to tie an appropriate twine to two sticks? I have done so myself many times to the bemusement of many. When done in more urban areas, which obviously would fit this experiment well, it often draws quite a crowd. Bring a music box to give the entire ordeal a fanciful rhythm!

It is clear that these globularists are too spooked by my 'scary magic' that they will not even attempt to properly execute this experiment themselves. It is said that the man who thinks he knows something can be taught naught, yet those with an open mind might find themselves able to learn. This is in action this very day as you rotunders flip to and fro from mental trapeze sets to avoid facing up to the fact that there is no way the earth could possibly be some sort of round ball.

Ok John I’ll get some string if you take the photo as shown in the video and give Rab a call. Taking the picture will be neither scary or magic and may well lead to a revelation.
It’s a really simple and conclusive way of demonstrating the spherical nature of our world.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 03:14:08 PM »

It is stated clearly that one must walk until said string is taught, and put the sticks in such that this is the case. If you can't follow simple instructions, I don't know if I can help you globularists. Is it really so difficult to the believer to tie an appropriate twine to two sticks?

Yeah you stated clearly an experiment that will fail regardless of the shape of the earth.

I have done so myself many times to the bemusement of many. When done in more urban areas, which obviously would fit this experiment well, it often draws quite a crowd. Bring a music box to give the entire ordeal a fanciful rhythm!

I don’t believe you.

I would indeed be spooked by your magic twine.  Is it anything like the Elven rope Galadriel gave Samwise?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 03:18:05 PM »
Ok John I’ll get some string if you take the photo as shown in the video and give Rab a call. Taking the picture will be neither scary or magic and may well lead to a revelation.
It’s a really simple and conclusive way of demonstrating the spherical nature of our world.

I await on the edge of my seat with baited breath.

It is stated clearly that one must walk until said string is taught, and put the sticks in such that this is the case. If you can't follow simple instructions, I don't know if I can help you globularists. Is it really so difficult to the believer to tie an appropriate twine to two sticks?

Yeah you stated clearly an experiment that will fail regardless of the shape of the earth.
I have stated that the round earther is unable to understand the complexities of reason, his mind succumbed to the toil of his drivel. There is no doubt in my mind that this can be accomplished with minimal effort, as I have myself on many occasion.

I have done so myself many times to the bemusement of many. When done in more urban areas, which obviously would fit this experiment well, it often draws quite a crowd. Bring a music box to give the entire ordeal a fanciful rhythm!

I don’t believe you.
If only there were some way that the rational man could disprove such a thing as impossible.

I would indeed be spooked by your magic twine.  Is it anything like the Elven rope Galadriel gave Samwise?
And there we have it, seen here first folks - the first round earther to admit his view of science and reason amounts to the malarkey found in fantasy. I am genuinely in shock at this! You are a credit to your kind.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 03:21:15 PM by John Davis »

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »

If only there were some way that the rational man could disprove such a thing as impossible.

You could video your experiment in detail, showing how you can achieve what you say you can, and upload it to your preferred website.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 03:28:25 PM »

You could video your experiment in detail, showing how you can achieve what you say you can, and upload it to your preferred website.
I will bring with me the patience of a saint as I explain to you reason and the scientific method, as you are clearly wise enough to note that you are taking it as magically fantasy. It is simply enough for you to perform the experiment yourself correctly to determine its validity. The items you need to procure can be found at any dime store. Of course, photographic evidence would be not admissible for reasons discussed at length in this very forum. I have found the roundist will resort to calling any photographic or video evidence of a flat earth fake, an illusion or a trick rather than use his God-given reason that sets him apart from the apes to understand for himself.

Is tying two knots beyond the abilities of our round earth defenders?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 03:35:33 PM by John Davis »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 03:36:27 PM »
This will end much like the discussion on the shipping crate experiment, wherein the globularists simply refused to shell out a twenty note to understand the truth.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 03:57:40 PM »
An oddly specific number indeed. It is of course a fourth of a mile, and the dip for a mile is predicted by the globularist academic community to be eight inches.
Would you care to cite a member of the globularist academic community who made this prediction?  If you're referring to the 8 inches per mile squared formula that Rowbotham mentions, then you should note that y=8x2 describes a parabola, not a globe.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 04:00:43 PM »
This will end much like the discussion on the shipping crate experiment, wherein the globularists simply refused to shell out a twenty note to understand the truth.

How did you calculate the cost of the twine? I take it the candle, stakes and sharpie are sold separately?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 04:08:03 PM »

How did you calculate the cost of the twine? I take it the candle, stakes and sharpie are sold separately?
Excellent question. I queried a local vendor. Millage may very by locality and market value.

The other values are household items that I assume one possesses.

An oddly specific number indeed. It is of course a fourth of a mile, and the dip for a mile is predicted by the globularist academic community to be eight inches.
Would you care to cite a member of the globularist academic community who made this prediction?  If you're referring to the 8 inches per mile squared formula that Rowbotham mentions, then you should note that y=8x2 describes a parabola, not a globe.
The formula is in use daily by photographers around the world, to their ignorance that it never worked in the first place as identified by The Bishop Experiment. Oh the globularist is an odd beast!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 04:10:45 PM »
The formula is in use daily by photographers around the world, to their ignorance that it never worked in the first place as identified by The Bishop Experiment. Oh the globularist is an odd beast!
I'm sorry, but that isn't a citation from a globularist academic.  Care to try again?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »
I'm sorry, but that isn't a citation from a globularist academic.  Care to try again?
Fine, if you won't accept fact I will have to ridicule you. It was of course the first round earther, Pythagoras whom I will cite. You may use his theorem to derive this yourself. It is also a common question in undergraduate low level mathematics and physical science text books - which the academics use to gouge those pocket books of those they have already bankrupted intellectually.

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 04:16:57 PM »

I will bring with me the patience of a saint as I explain to you reason and the scientific method, as you are clearly wise enough to note that you are taking it as magically fantasy. It is simply enough for you to perform the experiment yourself correctly to determine its validity. The items you need to procure can be found at any dime store. Of course, photographic evidence would be not admissible for reasons discussed at length in this very forum. I have found the roundist will resort to calling any photographic or video evidence of a flat earth fake, an illusion or a trick rather than use his God-given reason that sets him apart from the apes to understand for himself.

Is tying two knots beyond the abilities of our round earth defenders?

Sure, why not start explaining your “scientific reasoning” by calculating the stress and strain on a piece of string stretched 1320 foot, sagging less than 2 inches?

There’s not a chance in hell of staying under yield stress for your piece of string. 

Prove me wrong.

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 04:29:28 PM »
When questioned about the perceived absurdity of a flat earth, smile your largest grin while opening your map-case.

I am now questioning the absurdity of a flat earth.

I'll accept a YouTube video of you performing the experiment.
The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »
When questioned about the perceived absurdity of a flat earth, smile your largest grin while opening your map-case.

Oh fantastic. A round earther wants to learn science and reason from youtube.

"I saw it on YouTube so it MUST be true!"

I'm sorry, I can't condone such methodology by associating myself with it.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 04:38:14 PM »

Excellent question. I queried a local vendor. Millage may very by locality and market value.

The other values are household items that I assume one possesses.

I took it upon myself to price out what is necessary for all of the truthiest of true truth seekers out there who want to perform this amazingly cogent and revealing experiment.

Four considerations:
1) It helps to be a Prime member
2) Be mindful that the stakes are a 1-pack so you will need to change the quantity to 2
3) Wow, candles are expensive. And they're not even scented.
4) Assumption that one has the ability to make fire

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »

Oh fantastic. A round earther wants to learn science and reason from youtube.

"I saw it on YouTube so it MUST be true!"

I'm sorry, I can't condone such methodology by associating myself with it.

Ha, a flat earther is afraid to perform his own experiment, the lack of confidence must only be equalled by the lack of wisdom in posting such a flawed proposal in the first place.
The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2019, 04:47:30 PM »
Fine, if you won't accept fact I will have to ridicule you. It was of course the first round earther, Pythagoras whom I will cite. You may use his theorem to derive this yourself. It is also a common question in undergraduate low level mathematics and physical science text books - which the academics use to gouge those pocket books of those they have already bankrupted intellectually.
Sure, the formula for a circle can be derived from the Pythagorean theorem, but that still isn't the 8 inches per mile squared formula that you claimed that the globularist academic community endorses.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2019, 04:50:45 PM »
Sure, the formula for a circle can be derived from the Pythagorean theorem, but that still isn't the 8 inches per mile squared formula that you claimed that the globularist academic community endorses.
I cited no formula until my last post. I said the theory predicted the dip for a mile was ~8 inches. You globularists! Perhaps I gave too much credit when I thought you could divide into a forth.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 04:52:38 PM by John Davis »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 04:54:19 PM »
And yes I used a linear estimation for my derivation. I felt it necessary, and apparently I am right as this matter of simple elementary school arithmetic is stumping even you!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 05:05:45 PM »
I cited no formula until my last post. I said the theory predicted the dip for a mile was ~8 inches. You globularists! Perhaps I gave too much credit when I thought you could divide into a forth.
Perhaps you give yourself too much credit for thinking that a globularist academic would describe the earth's curvature in terms of dip.