Go woke, go broke lol

• 176 Replies

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
Re: Go woke, go broke lol
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »
Far left is when there are lots of women in a movie, but they're ugly.

Moderate left is when there are lots of women in the movie but they're not ugly.

Apolitical is when the leading roles are all male.
It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Who wants to be a firefly and who wants to be a blue whale?
-Sceptimatic

Please do not jizz to win an argument.
-Crutonius

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from.
-Inty (again)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2019, 02:13:54 PM »
I just thought of one of my favorite WOKEST movies, and that is Mad Max: Fury Road. I would watch it again in a heartbeat.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »
I have a problem with censorship. I have a problem with women being banned for the truth.
Issue tends to be what you consider 'truth'  :P

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

The Real Celine Dion

• Use as directed
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2019, 02:20:58 PM »
I just thought of one of my favorite WOKEST movies, and that is Mad Max: Fury Road. I would watch it again in a heartbeat.

Mad Mx: Fury Road was woke?
You just got Weskered, bitches!

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »

Awesome movie. Got it in 4K. What made it WOKE though? The lead actress is popular and hot. She'd have to be ugly, androgenous and a little bit brown to have it woke. In fact... How many coloured people were in it??

Think of the lead for the upcoming rebooted sequel for Terminator 2. Woke as f#&k

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2019, 02:34:18 PM »
It was all about female empowerment, you nerds.

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »
It doesn't actually. Care factor zero, just pointing out facts. I simply don't see them.
Sure...

I'm simply flabbergasted why people invest and produce movies we never needed or asked for anyway. The new Ghost Busters, Oceans 8 and the upcoming Charlies Angel's among them
It's more stupid that they make movies people asked for, making movies people ask for is how you end up with billions of dumb sequels and reboots.

Gillette rubbed people off the wrong way and with good reason.
Because the people calling others snowflakes are actually extremely fragile?

Mass Effect Andromeda was a bother because I waited nearly 5 years for that. And it going woke broke not only the game but the entire mass effect franchise!
What did they do, add a female character?

Clearly you know nothing about Mass Effect. You could always play as a female protagonist. People loved it. You could even make her black if you desired. Again, people loved it. That's not what broke it

Your dumb. Come back when you actually educate yourself on matters you argue about..

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2019, 02:39:14 PM »

I just watched the trailer, what is woke about it? Is it because the new terminator is female?

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2019, 02:51:06 PM »
No one had an issue with Terminator 3... Well they did but not because of the female terminator

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • V is for Viceroy
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2019, 02:52:39 PM »

Fury road was hella woke.  It tends to not get brought up because the movie was also amazing.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2019, 02:54:30 PM »
No one had an issue with Terminator 3... Well they did but not because of the female terminator

Well, tell me why it is woke then. I haven't watched Terminator in so many years I can't even remember most of it.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2019, 03:02:10 PM »
Clearly you know nothing about Mass Effect. You could always play as a female protagonist. People loved it. You could even make her black if you desired. Again, people loved it. That's not what broke it

Your dumb. Come back when you actually educate yourself on matters you argue about..
I'll admit, Mass Effect isn't a franchise I've gotten into, but are you seriously trying to pin it on being 'woke?' From all I've heard, ME:A failed because of a slew of technical issues and a lacklustre plot, none of which have anything to do with, well, anything. Plus one thing I am familiar with when it comes to ME is BioWare, and the fact it was bought by EA who've made a habit of buying up decent developers and then running them into the ground, which... yeah, I think you'll find that's what's happening.
Checking out BioWare releases:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BioWare_video_games
Starting 2007, where EA took over, you have a promising start. Dragon Age Origins, early Mass Effect... for a few years. There was a little bit of controversy about DA's DLC but nothing major yet. Mass Effect 2 in 2010, then Dragon Age 2 which was hit by a huge swathe of dislike for rushed development and reused maps and poorly paced story (and hilariously glitchy final stretch, speaking from experience), but hey, it's just one game. Then you hit 2012, ME3 comes out, got hit with some criticism for the lacking finale and had developers scrabbling to react.
Then two games that were cancelled in development, then the smash hit success of Dragon Age Inquisition, which itself does double duty to point out the issues with your arguments. On one hand, two gay party members and one trans supporting character makes it pretty 'woke' in my book, as clunky as the dialogue sometimes was, but on the other there's no getting around the fact the latter half of the game felt pretty rushed. And all of that required having developers work themselves to exhaustion to the point that some even wanted the game to fail just so they'd be free of the damn thing, all of which was pretty well documented. Then you have one more cancelled game, and then that's when you reach 2017 and Mass Effect: Andromeda! With a burnt out studio, some developers off after nervous breakdowns, after a string of cancelled releases and only one real success in the last five years, with the notoriously greedy EA breathing down their necks. And the next release was Anthem which, sure, not my thing so I haven't played it, but I know most people seem to hate it.
But, sure, it was the sjws that ruined ME:A.

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2019, 03:19:47 PM »
Sigh.

Mass Effect 1 was awesome. I don't know anyone who hated Mass Effect 2. It doubled down on the awesomeness. Mass Effect 3 was also great right up until the last 15 minutes of game play. Some people took issues with a gay character - I didn't give a damn. Cortez was cool.

It's not just the game content in Andromeda which sucked. It had the making of a great story. It's also the development behind the game. Google Manveer Heir for starters. Ask yourself if his behaviour was acceptable. Remember, he's the behind the scenes face of a game which had a budget of around $40? Million dollars.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2019, 03:37:19 PM »
Sigh.

Mass Effect 1 was awesome. I don't know anyone who hated Mass Effect 2. It doubled down on the awesomeness. Mass Effect 3 was also great right up until the last 15 minutes of game play. Some people took issues with a gay character - I didn't give a damn. Cortez was cool.

It's not just the game content in Andromeda which sucked. It had the making of a great story. It's also the development behind the game. Google Manveer Heir for starters. Ask yourself if his behaviour was acceptable. Remember, he's the behind the scenes face of a game which had a budget of around $40? Million dollars.
So... you don't object to any of the things that are actually considered 'woke,' but you still want to insist that's the problem and pin the problems with a studio being worked to exhaustion on a guy that said a few mean (true, but mean) things about white people?

Pezevenk

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2019, 03:42:57 PM »
Clearly you know nothing about Mass Effect. You could always play as a female protagonist. People loved it. You could even make her black if you desired.
Even black? Woah that's bordering in some extremist shit.

That's not what broke it
What was it then? Don't tell me it was an LGBT character!

Your dumb.
What about my dumb?
-Intikam

-Sceptimatic

-Crutonius

-Inty (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2019, 03:44:17 PM »

Fury road was hella woke.  It tends to not get brought up because the movie was also amazing.
There were people back then complaing as usual but they got drowned out because lots of people liked the movie, and because the nerds usually complaining were distracted by booms and vrooms so they didn't notice.
-Intikam

-Sceptimatic

-Crutonius

-Inty (again)

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2019, 03:59:22 PM »
Sigh.

So... you don't object to any of the things that are actually considered 'woke,' but you still want to insist that's the problem and pin the problems with a studio being worked to exhaustion on a guy that said a few mean (true, but mean) things about white people?

He's a racist dick and his comments were not only untrue for the most part (our current generation and Espoo ecially the millenials who would be the biggest customers) but generalising is always stupid. For all his talk about racism he was the biggest culprit. The staff at Bioware continued to back him and SJW ideals and players found SJW talking points throughout the game and our SJW ideals found inside alien species in the game

Point is, whether in the content of the game/movie or behind the scenes, or its promotion, companies should if trying to make money, make a product that panders to their audience and stay out of social justice issues.

If they do wish to use their platform to further a SJW ideology, they should  be prepared to lose money.

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2019, 04:07:10 PM »
Clearly you know nothing about Mass Effect. You could always play as a female protagonist. People loved it. You could even make her black if you desired.
Even black? Woah that's bordering in some extremist shit.

That's not what broke it
What was it then? Don't tell me it was an LGBT character!

Your dumb.
What about my dumb?

Steve Cortez was awesome and he was the gay character in Mass Effect 3 lol. Mass Effect is set in the future so the idea of married gay people existing in the universe without discrimination isn't jarring. It might be a woke and SJW issue but if written well (ie normally and not shoved down your throat or appearing tokenistic) then people won't take umbrage to it

A good example of tokenism is in the new Star Trek movie, Sulus character was made out to be gay simply because the guy who played Sulu originally is gay in real life. Sulunwas never 'gay' in the original series and even the real Sulu guy thought was over the top and stupid

Pezevenk

« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2019, 04:23:02 PM »
Mass Effect is set in the future so the idea of married gay people existing in the universe without discrimination isn't jarring.
Ah, alright, because if it was set in the present married gay people existing would be super weird.

It might be a woke and SJW issue but if written well (ie normally and not shoved down your throat or appearing tokenistic) then people won't take umbrage to it
A gay character is an "SJW issue"?
-Intikam

-Sceptimatic

-Crutonius

-Inty (again)

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2019, 04:29:27 PM »
Mass Effect is set in the future so the idea of married gay people existing in the universe without discrimination isn't jarring.
Ah, alright, because if it was set in the present married gay people existing would be super weird.

It might be a woke and SJW issue but if written well (ie normally and not shoved down your throat or appearing tokenistic) then people won't take umbrage to it
A gay character is an "SJW issue"?

Don't be a dick Pez. You would have read my qualifier 'WITHOUT DISCRIMINATION' because yes, even today gay people face discrimination.

And yes, for the moment until people stop giving a fuck about what consenting and loving adults do or feel then yes, the concept of homosexuality is a SJW issue. One day it hopefully won't be and people will just be like 'meh'

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »
If they do wish to use their platform to further a SJW ideology, they should  be prepared to lose money.
I mean, you say that like it's news. The number of people I've seen that just straight-up say "Hi. If you believe ___, I don't want your money," is staggering.

Also 'SJW talking points in the game' is... that's just good storytelling, extrapolating from existing dynamics to create a variety of cultures and interactions between them is how sci-fi's worked for decades. Nothing is apolitical, the only people that think it is tends to just be those that are on the advantaged side and assume it's a default, and people pointing out that it's not is apparently offensive.

Soooo. basically it has nothing to do with social justice and we're back at the rather basic statement of "If you're going to write a movie, TV show or game, write it well."

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2019, 05:16:37 PM »
I mean, you say that like it's news. The number of people I've seen that just straight-up say "Hi. If you believe ___, I don't want your money," is staggering.

Also 'SJW talking points in the game' is... that's just good storytelling, extrapolating from existing dynamics to create a variety of cultures and interactions between them is how sci-fi's worked for decades. Nothing is apolitical, the only people that think it is tends to just be those that are on the advantaged side and assume it's a default, and people pointing out that it's not is apparently offensive.

Soooo. basically it has nothing to do with social justice and we're back at the rather basic statement of "If you're going to write a movie, TV show or game, write it well."

Well yes but if social justice is your main goal then it's probably better to make it stand on its own merit instead of rebooting or sequelling a franchise that ultimately has to do some kind of U turn or major character redevelopment that is too unbelievable

Imagine if a film maker decided he wanted to tell a story about the evils of guns and gun violence, so rebooted the Terminator and Arnie came back but without firing a gun because guns are bad.

Ghost Busters wasn't rebooted for the primary reason to tell a story. It came back because if men can do it, so can women. Oceans 8 came back for the same. The story came 2nd to promoting the ideology. Perhaps Hollywood wanted to balance their quotas for female representation so made a bunch of movies and used pre existing franchises in the hope it would bring back an audience to make at least some of the money back

I actually like watching Korean movies and drama shows - for a simple reason the story comes first. They don't care to inject token social ideals to appease a tiny minority. It's also refreshing to see a movie that uses a different formula to Hollywood where the story and plot has become weary, rehashed and predictable.

My Sassy Girl - awesome Korean movie and has a very STRONG and dominant female lead. Feminists rejoice! :)

Here's a funny clip

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 05:19:27 PM by Shifter »

Pezevenk

« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2019, 05:19:20 PM »
And yes, for the moment until people stop giving a fuck about what consenting and loving adults do or feel then yes, the concept of homosexuality is a SJW issue.
So you're an SJW now?
-Intikam

-Sceptimatic

-Crutonius

-Inty (again)

Bullwinkle

• Flat Earth Curator
  • "Umm, WTF ???"
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2019, 05:25:52 PM »

Here's a funny clip

Ha ha, that was great.
RE can never win this argument.
FE can't be disproved.

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2019, 05:39:53 PM »
And yes, for the moment until people stop giving a fuck about what consenting and loving adults do or feel then yes, the concept of homosexuality is a SJW issue.
So you're an SJW now?

No, because I don't 'warrior'. I simply think someone's sexuality is 'meh'. Unless they are into kids. Screw those pedo losers to hell

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2019, 06:04:50 PM »
Ghost Busters wasn't rebooted for the primary reason to tell a story. It came back because if men can do it, so can women. Oceans 8 came back for the same. The story came 2nd to promoting the ideology. Perhaps Hollywood wanted to balance their quotas for female representation so made a bunch of movies and used pre existing franchises in the hope it would bring back an audience to make at least some of the money back
I mean, that's... complicated. It's rare there's just one person behind a story. I doubt anyone wanted to do, say, Ghostbusters without some idea of what the focus would be; the characters all came with backstories and settings, there was thought there. There's no way some people didn't get involved purely because they cared a lot about the franchise and wanted it to be made for a new generation, but there's also the fact that a lot of the studio backing would be on the name value as a cash-grab.
Honestly I didn't hate the new Ghostbusters. It wasn't groundbreaking, wasn't as influential as the original, but, like, it was fine. Just the typical kind of movie to put on and be entertained by even if nothing else (same boat as X-Men Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix for that matter). It's just the worst thing for a movie with a premise like that to be, no one's prepared for something that sparked vitriol by the premise alone to be just ok, especially not when comparison to the original's factored in.

Reboots definitely tend to be cash grabs. That's unlikely to change, and the lack of ideas is way more likely to be tied to that than to any 'forced diversity.' If anything the diversity's to be praised because at least that's going to set it apart from what came before.

Pezevenk

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2019, 03:21:19 AM »
So you're an SJW now?

No, because I don't 'warrior'. I simply think someone's sexuality is 'meh'. Unless they are into kids. Screw those pedo losers to hell
So you don't care that there is discrimination and you're not willing to do anything about it, and if you were writing a movie you wouldn't have any gay characters because otherwise you'd be a "warrior"?

I don't understand what exactly the issue you have is. Apparently having a gay character or married gay characters not facing discrimination is an a series is an SJW issue, because... It's too extreme at "fighting" discrimination? But then again I guess if there was a gay character and they were facing discrimination, that would also be an SJW issue because it portrays straight people as evil and cultivates victimhood etc. So the only way to not be "reasonable" is if you just don't have gay characters, otherwise it's just too much.
-Intikam

-Sceptimatic

-Crutonius

-Inty (again)

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2019, 03:46:18 AM »
So you're an SJW now?

So you don't care that there is discrimination and you're not willing to do anything about it, and if you were writing a movie you wouldn't have any gay characters because otherwise you'd be a "warrior"?

I don't understand what exactly the issue you have is. Apparently having a gay character or married gay characters not facing discrimination is an a series is an SJW issue, because... It's too extreme at "fighting" discrimination? But then again I guess if there was a gay character and they were facing discrimination, that would also be an SJW issue because it portrays straight people as evil and cultivates victimhood etc. So the only way to not be "reasonable" is if you just don't have gay characters, otherwise it's just too much.

Christ Pez you sure draw a long bow to reach some weird and f'ed up conclusions. Trying to talk to you is a waste of time. You're just antagonist for antagonistic sake.

One day I hope everyone on this planet couldn't give 2 shits what someones sexuality is. It really should be a non issue

Pezevenk

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2019, 08:36:25 AM »
One day I hope everyone on this planet couldn't give 2 shits what someones sexuality is. It really should be a non issue
But until then it's a super huge issue that some series has some gay characters or whatever, because that's "SJW", right?

I understand when people complain about "SJWs" trying to censor them or whatever, I will never understand this. It doesn't make any sense.

-Intikam

-Sceptimatic

-Crutonius

-Inty (again)

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »
But until then it's a super huge issue that some series has some gay characters or whatever, because that's "SJW", right?

I understand when people complain about "SJWs" trying to censor them or whatever, I will never understand this. It doesn't make any sense.

Pez it really depends on how something is written and the setting. For example the Gillette ad painted males as a problem. Regardless of the individual watching. It's a shaving company. It sells razors. Why is it even getting involved. Generalising a group of people is also a really dumb idea.

Also the kind of people Gillette want to target with their message is very small in number and won't change because they saw some razor ad. Also it's not the 50's anymore when the message might have been useful (if tactfully suggested).

I don't 'warrior' because the battle is largely won already. No where near me is there a problem with the way fats are treated or women are treated 2nd class for being women. The places all these progressive values need to be fought in aren't 'in the western developed countries' but the developing countries or the Middle East etc where women are 2nd class and homosexuality is outlawed to the point where people cheer as they are whipped or bound and thrown off rooftops to their death.  Is The West free of problems. Not 100% but no country will ever be free of criminals or people who are simply dicks to other people.

I don't have social media accounts or a big circle of 'friends' to pretend I give a damn about perceived social injustices. Do you honestly believe when a celebrity/company lists up for a cause they mean it? Or are they virtue signalling because they think it will help THEIR popularity in some way.

Remember at the same time Gillette was telling men to treat women better and as equal, they still slug them with extra costs for the same product albeit a different colour. Maybe they need to look at themselves with their message instead of 'rapping their customers over the knuckles'

In the context of movies, if the story is written well it's all good. You want to deliver a message. Make it so the message doesn't even sound likd it's been said. It should be weaved in seamlessly. Mad Max Fury Road dud it well. Mass Effect 3 did it well. Mass Effect Andromeda was so bad it felt like the game was playing 'SJW' talking points especially after one if the people who had a large part in its development, went very public with angry racist rants.

With Captain Marvel, the movie was simply another movie. I liked the story enough - people just hated Brie Larson saying it was a 'feminist movie' and her rants against 'white males' who happen to be a large part of the audience in many countries.