Can you design a compass for a spherical world?

• 119 Replies

kopfverderber

• Globularist
Re: Can you design a compass for a spherical world?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
The south pole is under the North Pole. The north pole is under that.

Or its a ring magnet.

Either could provide reasonable magnetic fields that would be consistent with findings.

I didn't understand the first sentence, is there a drawing or a schema somewhere?

As ring magnet do you mean something like this?

Wouldn't the compass needle flip when going to the interior of the ring?
You must gather your party before venturing forth

Macarios

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2019, 02:14:33 PM »

Or its a ring magnet.

Either could provide reasonable magnetic fields that would be consistent with findings.

I didn't understand the first sentence, is there a drawing or a schema somewhere?

No, he means like the construction of a speaker magnet with one pole in the middle and another around:

I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2019, 03:45:53 PM »

Or its a ring magnet.

I spoke simply and directly. What part confuses you? Both the south and north pole are below the North Pole.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2019, 03:48:47 PM »
As to your other query, you might note that at the south pole that indeed a compass does "flip" and act erratic.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2019, 04:53:51 PM »
I am going to design (on paper) a compass for a spherical world. I challenge anyone to use common sense to see if you can come up with a similar design.  Who’s up for it? 
Why design one? I have one like this, an old Silva TYPE 1, and it works quite well:

I've used this for decades.

It works well because the magnetic field around the Globe is roughly like this:

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2019, 05:06:46 PM »
As to your other query, you might note that at the south pole that indeed a compass does
Not according to the NOAA.
It might "flip and act erratic" over the magnetic South Pole, in 2019 at about 64.147°S 135.924°E, not even in Antarctica nor within the Antarctic circle.

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2019, 06:21:21 PM »
When navigating it’s good to have the correct compass for the World you live on, otherwise you can get lost. Which do you use? A compass for a Plane world that points horizontally to north or for a Hemispherical world that points to north through Earth with a guided surface pointer?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 06:28:11 PM by Plat Terra »
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

?

frenat

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2019, 06:56:23 PM »
When navigating it’s good to have the correct compass for the World you live on, otherwise you can get lost. Which do you use? A compass for a Plane world that points horizontally to north or for a Hemispherical world that points to north through Earth with a guided surface pointer?

so you're doubling down on your ignorance then? Not only does a regular compass work just fine because it aligns with the magnetic field but the magnetic poles are NOT in the same place as the geographic poles.  Yet again you show only that you don't understand the subject you argue against. Thanks for the humor!

Plat Terra

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2019, 09:22:21 PM »

so you're doubling down on your ignorance then? Not only does a regular compass work just fine because it aligns with the magnetic field but the magnetic poles are NOT in the same place as the geographic poles.  Yet again you show only that you don't understand the subject you argue against. Thanks for the humor!

Of course the horizontal to north (regular) compass works just fine; an instrument designed for a Plane Earth. Why wouldn't it?
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2019, 10:25:03 PM »

Or its a ring magnet.

I spoke simply and directly. What part confuses you? Both the south and north pole are below the North Pole.

I cant visualize what kind of magnet that would be, but the loudspeaker magnet explained by Macarios would probably work well on a FE.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2019, 10:48:12 PM »
Of course the horizontal to north (regular) compass works just fine; an instrument designed for a Plane Earth. Why wouldn't it?

What maps do you use with your compass?

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2019, 11:39:47 PM »

The magnetic field is balanced around the equator. Magnetic inclination grows when you go towards the poles. Your compass balanced for northern hemisphere woulnt work so well if used at the southern hemisphere.

For a compass to work on a FE model you need a north pole and a south pole and it needs to be consistent with known values for magnetic declination and inclination. It also needs an explanation for the poles slowly changing location.

It seems that tfes has earth  magnetism worked out with loudspeaker-like magnets, maybe you could look at that, although I wasnt able to find many details.

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2019, 01:13:28 AM »

You have a meme that shows a real one vs this drawing?
Magnets have a N and S end.
You ever seen a teeter totter with only one person sitting on one side?
What happens?

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2019, 01:15:59 AM »
I am going to design (on paper) a compass for a spherical world. I challenge anyone to use common sense to see if you can come up with a similar design.  Who’s up for it? 
Why design one? I have one like this, an old Silva TYPE 1, and it works quite well:

I've used this for decades.

It works well because the magnetic field around the Globe is roughly like this:

And if you look at the magnetic loops, they go from "parallel" at the equator and hook into "perpendicular" at the poles.
This is what everyone else is talking about inclination/ ddcliantion.

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2019, 02:42:30 AM »

Misleading picture. North, as in not North-East or North-West, but really, North, is always only 1 direction. The direction of the North Pole.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2019, 02:45:35 AM »

Incorrect! You really should learn a bit about the magnetic field on the surface of the Globe.

Read an early paper on the development of the Mariner's Compass in,
Quote from: Sir William Thomson
Terrestrial Magnetism and the Mariner's Compass
       HUMAN inventions have generally grown by Evolution. Of perhaps no other than the Mariner's Compass can it be said that it came into existence complete in a moment. The person who first having a piece of loadstone or a magnet, so supported as to be moveable round a vertical axis, perceived it to turn into one particular direction when left to itself, and who found that the positions thus assumed were sensibly parallel when the suspended magnet is carried about to different places indoors or out-of-doors, near enough to be within sight of one another, invented the Mariner's Compass. There may have been several independent inventors; there can have been but one first inventor. The efforts of historical inquirers have hitherto proved unavailing to fix either time, place, or person for this invention, not more remarkable for its definiteness as a discovery than for its perennial utility to the human race.

The directive quality of the magnet, which constitutes the essence of the mariner's compass, was not known to the Greeks and Romans; for in the writings of Homer, Theophrastus, Plato, Aristotle, Lucretius, and Pliny, we find abundant evidence of knowledge of all the other ordinary magnetic phenomena, but not a trace of any knowledge of this most marked property. It is clear that of all those writers, or of the observers and experimenters on whom they had depended for information, not one had ever supported a piece of loadstone, or of magnetized steel, in such a manner as to leave it free to turn round horizontally: or that if any one of them had ever done so, he was remarkably deficient in perceptive faculty.

The earliest trace we now have of the mariner's compass in Europe is contained, according to Professor Hansteen (Inquiries Concerning the Magnetism of the Earth), in an account of the discovery of Iceland by the Norwegian historian Ara Frode, who is cited as authority for the following statement:—
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

<< Obviously these details are for a compass to operate on the Globe earth! >>

Fig. 34.—Curved lines of force.

?

frenat

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2019, 05:52:32 AM »

You're just trying to look like a troll, right?

Plat Terra

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2019, 12:30:25 PM »
So, now we know how a compass would work on a Globe Earth if it had a magnetic attraction which the theory lacks.

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2019, 01:38:59 PM »
So, now we know how a compass would work on a Globe Earth if it had a magnetic attraction which the theory lacks.

You have been shown that this is incorrect. The Earth magnetic field doesn't work that way. See above diagram.

You may as well move on to the next crazy YouTube flattard tidbit.

I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

Plat Terra

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2019, 03:58:43 PM »

You have been shown that this is incorrect. The Earth magnetic field doesn't work that way. See above diagram.

Globe Earth has a magnetic field? Since when?

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2019, 04:11:30 PM »
As to your other query, you might note that at the south pole that indeed a compass does "flip" and act erratic.

Hold on there John, how would you know that? And which South Pole are you referring to? The magnetic or the geographic? Big difference! The thing is that at the magnetic north and south poles, the magnetic field lines actually point up and down, rather than along the surface.  So really, if you stood on the magnetic  south pole, your compass would try to point upwards. Special compasses are manufactured that can point in the up/down angle of the magnetic fields, as well as parallel to the earth's surface.
As to your erratic claim, that’s just not true. If you had indeed been there you would know.

Crutchwater

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2019, 04:17:40 PM »

Troll: confirmed

There's no way you can possibly be that retarted.

Plat Terra

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2019, 04:23:20 PM »

There is no magnetic field in the Globe theory other than claiming there is.

Gumwars

• A poke in your eye good sir...
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2019, 04:25:47 PM »

Are you familiar with ad nauseam fallacies?
Quote from: Carl Sagan
We should endeavor to always keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

Crutchwater

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2019, 04:38:30 PM »

Are you sure?

Did you "learn" that on YouTube?

Plat Terra

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2019, 04:40:06 PM »

As in claims only?

What is the origin of a magnetic field for your theory and how does it work?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2019, 05:20:10 PM »

Do you mean like there are no neurons making synaptic leaps across Plat's brain other than claiming there are?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2019, 06:56:44 PM »

As in claims only?

What is the origin of a magnetic field for your theory and how does it work?
Here, read it from your favourite information source,  NASA ;D! The Self-Sustaining Dynamo in the Earth's Core: Origin of The Earth's Magnetism.

It is essentially generated from the rotation of the earth and convection currents in the liquid part of the core.

Now, may I ask the origin of a magnetic field in your flat earth theory, how does it work and how does it explain the known drift of both the North an South Magnetic Poles.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2019, 07:36:47 PM »

Stop using your lack of knowledge as evidence for your argument.

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

frenat

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2019, 07:37:27 PM »

I see Plat Terra is choosing to remain ignorant about magnetic fields.