Can you design a compass for a spherical world?

• 119 Replies

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
Can you design a compass for a spherical world?
« on: August 22, 2019, 03:13:02 PM »
I am going to design (on paper) a compass for a spherical world. I challenge anyone to use common sense to see if you can come up with a similar design.  Who’s up for it? 

I don't have a CAD program, but will do the best I can.

I will start now.

The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: Can you design a compass for a spherical world?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 03:18:16 PM »
A compass’s needle aligns with the magnetic field. Not the most complicated idea.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 03:34:14 PM »
But you're fine with a flat earth that has no southern magnetic pole?
The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 05:02:07 PM »

Before you design your compass can explain how in your pic of the north pole projection with the 4 orientations, why in North America EAST the same straight line direction as SOUTH in Africa and WEST in China.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »
I am going to design (on paper) a compass for a spherical world. I challenge anyone to use common sense to see if you can come up with a similar design.  Who’s up for it? 

I don't have a CAD program, but will do the best I can.

I will start now.

2 bucks at Walmart.
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 05:04:27 PM »

Before you design your compass can explain how in your pic of the north pole projection with the 4 orientations, why in North America EAST the same straight line direction as SOUTH in Africa and WEST in China.
Also, where is the magnetic south pole?  Or does the flat earth have magnetic north mono-pole?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Plat Terra

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 05:58:24 PM »
I'm working on mine. Any takers?
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 06:07:42 PM »
I'm working on mine. Any takers?

We all already have ours. What's taking you so long?

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 06:49:40 PM »
I'm working on mine.

Cool!

What do you expect it to show? That south isn't in the opposite direction as north?

Any takers?

We all already have ours. What's taking you so long?

Seconded.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 07:31:58 PM »
He gave you the clue in his challenge:

"On paper".

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 12:22:46 AM »
The one in my phone is working fine.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 12:55:22 AM »
While you are at it, you could also explain to us how gyrocompass works on FE.
You must gather your party before venturing forth

?

frenat

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 05:05:28 AM »
I see Plat is again proving he doesn't understand the subject. Anybody got some popcorn for his show?

Plat Terra

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 08:57:13 AM »
I see Plat is again proving he doesn't understand the subject. Anybody got some popcorn for his show?

I have yet to find a regular compass that works at a postion of 90 degrees to North. I bet many sea captians where crying "LOST" on the Globe seas.

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 09:14:03 AM »

I have yet to find a regular compass that works at a postion of 90 degrees to North. I bet many sea captians where crying "LOST" on the Globe seas.

What do you mean by "position 90 degrees to North??

Crazy we don't hear about sea captains crying "LOST" all the time!
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 09:34:54 AM »

90 degrees from the north pole is the equator. Why wouldn't a compass work on the equator?

I've never heard of every captain pre-GPS getting lost all the time.

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 09:44:22 AM »
Fun fact: Since when it comes to magnetic poles, opposites attract and likes repel, the north pole of a magnetic compass needle actually points toward the south pole.  :)
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 09:48:39 AM »
Are you literally saying that every army, all boy scouts brownies forest ranger, any 1700-1900 dutch british spanish porteguese traders, airplane (before gps) wwii bombers pilots all dont know where theyre going?

Youre arguing very easily verifiable recent and most of recorded history here?

Plat Terra

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 09:50:04 AM »

That's right, we don't, because the Captians of old used a compass designed for a Plane Earth. The compass they used only worked on a horizontal plane to north. If Earth were a sphere they would get lost and cry for help!

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 09:52:27 AM »
Overlay below onto your airplane image.

https://images.app.goo.gl/AfEuzLxQ6aLYLUZM9

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 09:55:19 AM »
He seems to not understand round.
He has the same issue where claiming a 300mi buldge in central usa.

Plat Terra

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 09:56:05 AM »
Are you literally saying that every army, all boy scouts brownies forest ranger, any 1700-1900 dutch british spanish porteguese traders, airplane (before gps) wwii bombers pilots all dont know where theyre going?

Of course they knew where they were going by a compass that only worked on a horizontal plane to north. It worked great even though they incorrectly thought earth was a sphere.

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 09:56:30 AM »

That's right, we don't, because the Captians of old used a compass designed for a Plane Earth. The compass they used only worked on a horizontal plane to north. If Earth were a sphere they would get lost and cry for help!

Did you ever heard of magnetic inclination? Of course not.

The inclination of a compass needs to be adjusted to latitude otherwise the compass will lose accuracy.

The question is why on earth would compass inclination need to be adjusted on a FE?

Why does a compass lose accuracy if the inclination is not adjusted to latitude? Whats the FE answer for that?

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 09:59:15 AM »

Of course they knew where they were going by a compass that only worked on a horizontal plane to north. It worked great even though they incorrectly thought earth was a sphere.

So compasses (compasses) suddenly decided to not work anymore?

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 10:03:10 AM »
Heres a picture of a basket ball.

There are black lines.
Are you saying you dont understand how these various lines all around the east-west can go from south pole to north pole?

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 11:14:42 AM »
I found these memes for you Platt, since you seem to understand memes better:

Zero inclination at the equator: Balanced compass works best:

Magnetic inclination (magnetic dip):

Magnetic inclination map

?

frenat

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2019, 11:24:22 AM »

Yet again proving you don't understand the subject. Compasses align with the magnetic field. This was pointed out to you before. That you chose to remain ignorant just makes everyone think you're a troll.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »

How's you paper compass design coming along?

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 12:37:44 PM »
The south pole is under the North Pole. The north pole is under that.

Or its a ring magnet.

Either could provide reasonable magnetic fields that would be consistent with findings.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
Unless the circumference of antartica is measured at...?