Sun and moon size and probability

• 24 Replies

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
Sun and moon size and probability
« on: August 19, 2019, 10:12:05 AM »
I came upon this statement from Earthsky web site:

"So what are the odds of the moon and sun appearing nearly the same size from Earth? No one knows." - a professor from Yale

Does this "noone knows" conform to the normal way of calculating probabilities? As in, do they really not know the probability/odds, or do they just not want to comment?
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
Re: Sun and moon size and probability
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 11:02:27 AM »

"So what are the odds of the moon and sun appearing nearly the same size from Earth? No one knows." - a professor from Yale

Does this "noone knows" conform to the normal way of calculating probabilities? As in, do they really not know the probability/odds, or do they just not want to comment?

There isn't a large enough pool of examples to accurately calculate the odds.
Nullius in Verba

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 11:06:00 AM »
How do you calculate odds from one sample?
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 11:54:38 AM »

I think he does not want to say it. frankly, this is a possibility that can be considered as infinite. this renders the term science meaningless.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 12:04:02 PM »

There is a simple reason for this "round earth reason " that is.
I came across one source that said the odds were 1 in 23.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 12:20:12 PM »

To human eyes and minds that are easily fooled and not made to judge such things? Quite high odds.
The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 04:49:01 PM »
They are not the same size, just close.
Astronomer, photographer, and astro-photographer for 51 years. Satellite observer for 3 years, satellite builder in the 80's. Telescope maker and familiar with optical theory and designs. Machinists and machine tool programmer.

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 04:57:41 PM »
You also have to factor in all the other solar systems in the universe, then it is not that impossible for some solar systems.
Astronomer, photographer, and astro-photographer for 51 years. Satellite observer for 3 years, satellite builder in the 80's. Telescope maker and familiar with optical theory and designs. Machinists and machine tool programmer.

Macarios

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 08:38:01 PM »
From the Earth:
angular diameter of the Sun varies from 31'27" to 32'32" (0.5242 to 0.5422 degrees)
angula diameter of the Moon varies from 29'20" to 34'6" (0.4889 to 0.5683 degrees)
(from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_diameter)

If the Size of the Moon was different then the mass would be different as well.
The Moon would take another orbit, or wouldn't take any orbit at all.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 07:31:56 PM »
I recently heard that the I.S.S. and planet Mercury have the same apparrent size when transiting the sun. Can anyone confrim? If this is true, I think this maybe a similar phenomenon as to why the sun and moon seem so similar in size. Just thought i'd mention it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:33:52 PM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 09:36:13 PM »
I recently heard that the I.S.S. and planet Mercury have the same apparrent size when transiting the sun. Can anyone confrim? If this is true, I think this maybe a similar phenomenon as to why the sun and moon seem so similar in size. Just thought i'd mention it.
Not quite! Have a look at:
Quote from: Astronomy Now
Mercury and International Space Station transit the Sun

French astrophotographer Thierry Legault travelled to the suburbs of Philadelphia, USA
to capture both the International Space Station and planet Mercury transiting the Sun on Monday, 9 May.
This image includes frames superimposed on each other to show the Station’s path in the fraction of a second
it took to cross the face of the Sun, while Mercury appears as a black dot at bottom-centre of the Sun.
<< Click to show full sun image. >>                                                                  Image credit: © Thierry Legault.

On Monday, 9 May, Mercury passed in front of the Sun as seen from Earth. These transits of Mercury occur only around 13 times every century, so astronomers all over Earth were eager to capture the event.
For astrophotographer Thierry Legault, capturing Mercury and the Sun alone was not enough, however – he wanted the International Space Station in the frame as well.
To catch the Station passing across the Sun, you need to set up your equipment within a ground track less than 3 kilometres wide. For Thierry, this meant flying to the USA from his home near Paris, France.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 09:45:31 PM by rabinoz »

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »
Cool, thanks.
           -them

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 12:42:25 AM »

The possiblity of their being close size  in a 3d infinite space; is zero.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

?

alex314

• Truth, knowledge and science.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 12:42:57 AM »

The possiblity of their being close size is same with being same size  in a 3d infinite space; zero.

As we can observe the moon and the sun to have a similar angular size, it is evident that the possibility for such a thing to happen is clearly larger than zero.

Omega

• Debating honestly even if no-one else will
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 01:10:02 AM »

In science people say 'no-one knows' all the time. That's because science doesn't fudge or make stuff up when there is no data or theory available. Compare this with FE, which doesn't use science but the PSFYA method. As in: Pull Something From Your Ass.

Only thing round in FE is its circular logic.

?

rogersmith

• Roger Smith
You want to get an attractive website design to do trade with the traffic. Because of this, it is extremely important to choose an e-commerce website design that can meet your purpose. To get one, you need to first make a list of web designers with a fantastic stand

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 02:32:06 AM »

The possiblity of their being close size  in a 3d infinite space; is zero.
If 3D space is infinite then it is logical to expect that all possibilities would exist somewhere hence there is no reason why one of those occurrences should not exist in our solar system.

Especially as the sun and moon only occasionally appear exactly the same size in our solar system.

But in your tiny world the sun and moon are claimed to be the same size! This is from TFES.org:
Sun
The Sun is a revolving sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the Earth.
Moon
The Moon is a revolving sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth
Now what are the odds of their being both 32 miles in diameter?

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 12:43:47 PM »

There isn't a large enough pool of examples to accurately calculate the odds.

Okay, so probability probably isn't the proper arena for examining this issue, but for me this is a starting point to understand that our science is not giving us complete answers. I' ve never heard it said that suns to planets to moons are usually within a certain ratio, and hence we should not concern ourselves with this coincidence.
           -them

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »
I find the fact that the moon and sun appear as the roughly the same size to be amazing, and highly improbable.  Very convenient for solar eclipses.   I can take it as some piece of evidence of manipulation by a creator or aliens from another galaxy or that there are things we just don't understand.  I can't see it as any kind of evidence that the Earth is flat.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 02:21:12 PM »
Okay, so probability probably isn't the proper arena for examining this issue, but for me this is a starting point to understand that our science is not giving us complete answers.
And why would you claim that? There are four moons in the solar system larger than the earth's Moon.
The only significant difference is that ours is large compared to the planet size and is conjectured to have formed when another planet about the size of Mars collided with the earth.

Quote from: faded mike
I've never heard it said that suns to planets to moons are usually within a certain ratio, and hence we should not concern ourselves with this coincidence.
Agreed.

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2019, 10:21:34 PM »
I find the fact that the moon and sun appear as the roughly the same size to be amazing, and highly improbable.  Very convenient for solar eclipses.   I can take it as some piece of evidence of manipulation by a creator or aliens from another galaxy or that there are things we just don't understand.  I can't see it as any kind of evidence that the Earth is flat.
Very true.

It also has no effect on the truthfulness or otherwise of our current science processes.

Omega

• Debating honestly even if no-one else will
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 10:32:20 PM »

What's even more amazing is that the moon used to be a lot closer. And it is still moving away every moment.

This means that we are at an extraordinarily point in time. Our human race just happens to exist in the era where solar eclipses are happening.

That is an amazing coincidence.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:53:18 PM by Omega »
Only thing round in FE is its circular logic.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 12:19:59 AM »

What's even more amazing is that the moon used to be a lot closer. And it is still moving away every moment.

This means that we are at an extraordinarily point in time. Our human race just happens to exist in the era where solar eclipses are happening.

That "amazing coincidence" is a little more amazing than that.
Solar eclipse come in 3 "flavours":
Types of Solar Eclipse

Partial Eclipse

Annular Eclipse

Total Eclipse

If the moon were much closer there would only be partial or total eclipses but no annular eclipses
and if much further away there would only be partial or annular eclipses but no total eclipses.

At the current distance and orbital ellipticity we see all types of solar eclipses.

Take a (conjectured) look at the moon long long ago:
If we had a time machine, what would the moon look like from Earth 4 billion years ago? How close? How big in the sky would it look?.

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 06:50:13 AM »

It appears to be roughly(very roughly) the same size NOW. The distance between the Moon and the Earth has been increasing for a very long time. Millions of years ago, it would have blocked more of the Sun than it does now and millions of years from now, all solar eclipses will be annular eclipses.
Nullius in Verba

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2019, 11:59:27 AM »

I don't know about that.  I think that it's amazing that our moon is so freakishly large compared to just about any other moon of any other known planet.  Most moons are tiny compared to their host planets, but our moon is so big that it actually has a significant gravitational influence on the earth.  In fact, the barycenter of the earth-moon system is 2900 miles (3/4 earth radius) from the earth's center.  If the moon was much bigger, then some might consider earth-moon a binary system.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.