What evidence is there that the earth is round

• 18 Replies
What evidence is there that the earth is round
« on: August 14, 2019, 02:32:45 AM »
Day and night the earth does not prove spherical. Day and night are possible on flat earth. It is certainly true that the flat earth rotate and as a result day and night.

Re: What evidence is there that the earth is round
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 02:43:40 AM »
Thank you for your feedback. 

Your custom is very important to us, please hold the line.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

alex314

• Truth, knowledge and science.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 04:07:03 AM »
Day and night the earth does not prove spherical. Day and night are possible on flat earth. It is certainly true that the flat earth rotate and as a result day and night.

Day and Night are one set of evidences. Further evidences include:

• Sunrise and sunset. There is no explanation how that should work on a flat earth
  • Apparent size of sun and moon: They do not change noticeable during the day, so they cannot be close.
  • Apparent movement of sun and moon: Always the same amount (15 degrees per hour), which cannot work on a flat earth. The apparent motion must change a LOT during the day.
  • Eclipses: The sphere model can explain them very good.
  • Gravity: I witnessed the Cavendish experiment myself. Very convincing, except there are MILLIONS of people involved in a conspiracy
  • Other planets and moons: Spherical, the move around (gravity) etc/
  • Satellites: Yes I have a dish and no, it is NOT pointed to a mountain or some structure. but just in the the sky
  • Photos from Space: Uncountable pieces of evidence

I hope that list is enough for a first step...

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 04:28:14 AM »

But if the earth is flat why can't you see the sun all the time?
The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 04:43:43 AM »
  • If the earth were flat I can't see how the sun (and moon, planets and stars) could appear to be hidden "behind something" and slowly rise up top first as in this video (click anywhere, it links to a video):

An then the sun set near the west with the bottom disappearing first:

LHG-0693 - Sunset Karumba 20070808 06.25.02, 300 mm

LHG-0697 - Sunset Karumba 20070808 06.25.29, 300 mm

• Then, if the earth were flat, from any altitude, the horizon should "rise to eye-level" meaning it should remain horizon with the viewer.
    This is stressed by many flat earth sites, including the Wiki here:
    Quote from: The Flat Society Wiki
    Basic Perspective
    A fact of basic perspective is that the line of the horizon is always at eye level with the observer. This will help us understand how viewing distance works, in addition to the sinking ship effect.

Have you ever noticed that as you climb a mountain the line of the horizon seems to rise with you?
    But in practice the horizon seems to rise nearly to eye-level (due to perspective) it never quite gets there.

There is a whole thread on the Metabunk site devoted to this, How to Show the Horizon is Below Eye Level, Using Actual Eyes.

This "dip angle to the horizon", as it is called is very small low altitudes, being only about 0.04° (quite unnoticable) at 2 metres.
    But at 100 m it becomes 0.3°, enough to easily detect with a level, at 1000 m about 1.0° and finally at 10,000 m about 3°.

There are many YouTube videos both showing it measured or simple demonstrated. Here is one from near here using "mountains":
    Andrew Eddie found that, from Flaxton Gardens, Queensland (418 m above sea-level), Mount Coolum (208 m above sea-level) lines up with the horizon.
    This makes it certain that the horizon is below the local horizontal.

Flat Earth? Mountains rising to meet eye-level? Andrew Eddie

The opening screen does show only 0.523° but that is over a flat surface and at 2:55 the video has a more accurate calculation showing that from an altitude of 418 m the horizon is about 0.626° below eye-level.
    That's not all that much less than the horizon Dip of 0.66° given by Metabunk''s Earth's Curve Horizon, Bulge, Drop, and Hidden Calculator.

Here's one by a member of the TFES.org, Bobby Shafto:

Does the Horizon Always Stay at “Eye Level” by Bobby Shafto

And here's another by Critical Think from Brisbane, Australia as if anyone couldn't guess ;D:

Globling teaches Antonio Subirats a better lesson in horizon drop by Critical Think

Then back in about 1000 AD this "dip angle to the horizon" was used to estimate the radius of the earth.
    Abu Rayhan Biruni (973–1048):

Al Biruni used a new method to accurately compute the Earth's circumference, by which he arrived at a value that was close to modern values for the Earth's circumference. His estimate of 6,339.9 km for the Earth radius was only 16.8 km less than the modern value of 6,356.7 km. In contrast to his predecessors, who measured the Earth's circumference by sighting the Sun simultaneously from two different locations, Biruni developed a new method of using trigonometric calculations based on the angle between a plain and mountain top.

This yielded more accurate measurements of the Earth's circumference and made it possible for a single person to measure it from a single location. Biruni's method was intended to avoid "walking across hot, dusty deserts," and the idea came to him when he was on top of a tall mountain in India. From the top of the mountain, he sighted the angle to the horizon which, along with the mountain's height (which he calculated beforehand), allowed him to calculate the curvature of the Earth. He also made use of algebra to formulate trigonometric equations and used the astrolabe to measure angles.

Biruni's method for calculation of Earth's radius
    So the horizon does not rise to eye-level as it must if the earth were flat.

And there are plenty more.

• Then, of course there are all the cases of ships, etc, being hidden by the curve but they can wait.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 08:29:47 AM »
The sun never stands vertically on earth. In fact the sun stands at different corners of the earth from the different place. The sun stands at such a small angle from dark place that no sunlight can reach it. But for the motion of the earth's rotation that place goes towards the sun. As a result the sunlight falls there and one time observer sees the sky below the sun 90° angle. Consequently the observer seems to have the sun 90° corners. Once again the same place gets away from the sun due to the motion of Earth's rotation. As a result there are Night at a time.

I know English isn't your native language, but I'm afraid what you wrote makes no sense in English.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 12:56:22 AM »
My language is Bengali. May I send the text in my language.

?

alex314

• Truth, knowledge and science.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 01:00:15 AM »

I am not sure people would understand that. I suggest you practice your English and learn it in more detail.

Then you also could use some time to learn some really basic physics. Just a bit!

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 01:49:22 AM »

I don't think anyone else here knows Bengali so that won't help.

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 02:09:08 AM »

I don't think Bengali would help, but maybe you can make a drawing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:05:06 AM by kopfverderber »
You must gather your party before venturing forth

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 07:04:32 AM »
You may.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

napoleon

• The Earth is not round, nor flat. It is a Donut...
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 01:35:46 AM »
Flat rotating earth is not possible is it?
use your brain for once. if we lived on a rotating disc with North pole as the center, wouldn't then everything that were dropped or falls, fall a little bit to the southside of predicted spot due to centripetal force?

that would be an effect which can't be avoided or covered in some conspiracy or whatever.
Never argue with an idiot...
First they will drag you down to their own level,
and then they beat you by experience...

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 07:29:14 AM »
Flat rotating earth is not possible is it?
use your brain for once. if we lived on a rotating disc with North pole as the center, wouldn't then everything that were dropped or falls, fall a little bit to the southside of predicted spot due to centripetal force?

that would be an effect which can't be avoided or covered in some conspiracy or whatever.

And everything would lean towards the North pole. The further south you go, the more you'd have to lean.

It could be "corrected" if the earth was bowl shaped, curving upwards towards the southern ice wall.

JackBlack

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 03:43:35 PM »
It isn't just day and night.
It is how day and night are distributed over Earth.
If Earth was flat, the entire Earth should have day at the same time and night at the same time.
Even if you wanted to appeal to a spotlight just illuminating part of Earth, you would need a magical shape shifting spotlight that illuminates a very strange and non-circular region, and the direction to the sun still wouldn't match.

But a much better proof is the position of the sun and other celestial objects around Earth.
A great part is the existence of 2 celestial poles, always 180 degrees apart.
They can be observed through timelapses of the stars, with all the stars appearing to trace out circles around them.
You can also circumnavigate these poles, i.e. keeping them to one side, you can follow a path along and end up back where you started. This means that the point on Earth below the pole (the sub-polar point) is a finite distance away.

For a FE, this makes no sense:
If you pick 2 locations (preferably on the equator so both poles are visible at once), you can draw 2 straight lines. These lines go towards both poles (or perhaps more appropriately, the sub-polar point.
Because both of these lines go to both poles, this means you have 2 straight lines, intersecting twice after some finite distance. This is impossible (ignoring the complexity of a flat torus).
In order for 2 lines to intersect twice, they need to be curved.
This makes perfect sense on a RE, as these lines are curved, following the curvature of Earth.

The sun never stands vertically on earth.
No, it always does.
You can observe this yourself if you are within the tropics.
The sub solar point remains within the tropics, drifting north and south over the year.
If you go there and wait for the right time of year, you will observe the sun directly overhead.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 07:09:24 PM »
Seeing the sun vertically on the earth is relative. It's not real.

JackBlack

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 11:32:28 PM »
Seeing the sun vertically on the earth is relative. It's not real.
If it isn't real, what causes it?

JackBlack

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 03:24:14 AM »
Measure Shadows across the country. You would better understand the scenario in simple way.
Pick two locations that are some distance apart (at least a couple hundred miles from each other and on the same meridian). Grab two sticks or dowels (or other objects) of equal length, two tape measures, and a friend. Each of you will take one stick/dowel/object and one tape measure to your location, stick the object into the ground, and measure the shadow. (For accuracy, you should both take your measurements at the same time of day.)

On a flat Earth, the shadow that is cast by each would be of the same length. However, if you and your friend compare notes, you'll find that one shadow was longer than the other. That's because, due to the curvature of Earth, the sun will hit one part of Earth at one angle and another part of Earth at a different angle even at the same time of day.
That is assuming the sun is very far away which you didn't establish.
Instead, for the commonly presented FE model, the sun is only 5000 km above Earth. That should still produce a significant change in the length of the shadow, but still doesn't match reality in general.

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 05:12:42 PM »
We took round images of the earth from space in spacecraft.
We can see (and radio hear) the very spacecrafts that took those images.
We can measure the altitude and speed of them too.
The earth is imaged round.
Astronomer, photographer, and astro-photographer for 51 years. Satellite observer for 3 years, satellite builder in the 80's. Telescope maker and familiar with optical theory and designs. Machinists and machine tool programmer.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 05:44:47 PM »
Are there any Language Translator websites for translating Bengali to English ?
I use the TripAdvisor.com a lot for reviews on motels and restaurants by tourists.
They have French or other languages in the reviews with the English translation.
Would it be helpful to try making your posts in your native Bengali  to be translated to English ?
On the other hand would it be helpful if you use the translator websites to translate English to Bengali ?
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !