Our economy is fundamentally flawed

• 13 Replies

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« on: August 12, 2019, 03:05:09 PM »
Fiat currencies like the USD or EUR are based on the premise 'some inflation is good'. So for example the USD has like 5% of the value (purchasing power) it had about 80 years ago (compared to gold it looks even worse).

This inflation is supposed to make people buy stuff and invest their money (because otherwise it's becoming worthless).
Unfortunately, this 'spending mentality' is not realistically compatible with stopping global warming and having a clean, sustainable planet for further generations.
I think if we ever want to reach said goal, major changes are required. Possible would be
-strict laws concerning un-ecological decision making (not liberal = I don't like it too much)
-create a 'frame' which supports ecological decisions
-have a republican 'i dont care, kek' opinion (=be a retard)
-remove inflation (not easy in reality, creates other problems aswell)

Opinions?
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Our economy is fundamentally flawed
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 09:04:00 PM »
I don't know, but I think that the obsession with constant growth is flawed too.  Encouraging ever increasing consumption and the inevitable disposable economy that results just isn't sustainable in the long term.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 11:16:44 PM »
It's that time of year again when DNS goes back to school and he needs our help with class projects.

Your "answers" are two things.

First just insults.... typical for you.

Second is just random grouped generic ideas. No different than miss America saying she wants to end world hunger. Empty and it will fix nothing.

No wonder you have to ask the FES for help on your papers.

Sad
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 11:29:10 PM »
Capitalism=permanent growth, you can't fix it by stopping inflation or whatever. Every time growth stops or reverses, businesses crumble and people lose their jobs.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 11:43:52 PM »
Capitalism=permanent growth, you can't fix it by stopping inflation or whatever. Every time growth stops or reverses, businesses crumble and people lose their jobs.
I disagree. There very well could be an equilibrium in a (semi) capitslistic society.

Member of the BOTD

Pezevenk

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 11:55:48 PM »
I disagree. There very well could be an equilibrium in a (semi) capitslistic society.
What kind of "equilibrium" and how? Normal people can only have good things when there is growth. When growth stops people lose jobs, wages fall, and eventually wealth and businesses concentrates on the hands of very few people or corpotations. Capitalist stagnation is never a good thing long term. There is a lot of historical precedent. But it's definitely not something you can maintain very long anyways, it will either go back to growth or into recession, you can't freeze an economy in time.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 01:04:25 AM »
What kind of "equilibrium" and how? Normal people can only have good things when there is growth. When growth stops people lose jobs, wages fall, and eventually wealth and businesses concentrates on the hands of very few people or corpotations. Capitalist stagnation is never a good thing long term. There is a lot of historical precedent. But it's definitely not something you can maintain very long anyways, it will either go back to growth or into recession, you can't freeze an economy in time.
Why wouldn't there be a possibility of an equilibrium? You're literally just making things up ('normal people can only have good things when there is growth').
There is no fundamental law that prohibits a stable economic equilibrium.

Member of the BOTD

Lorddave

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 01:29:40 AM »
Why wouldn't there be a possibility of an equilibrium? You're literally just making things up ('normal people can only have good things when there is growth').

Increased population.
The demand for more resources requires growth.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 03:05:51 AM »

And by you just stating that, does it make it any more viable?
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Pezevenk

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 04:04:28 AM »
Because it's inherently not a system of "equilibriums". It's based on constant capital flow, there has literally never ever been a capitalist economy in history which stayed in an "equilibrium" for very long, unless you're talking about some underdeveloped shithole. Normal people can only have good things when there is growth because that's when the most jobs are created and when money actually trickles down somewhat. When growth stops then unemployment increases, which makes all wages fall, part time jobs dominate the market, and over time there is more and more centralization of capital, so big, strong companies acquire smaller ones, or buy up homes raising the rent, etc. The only reason why normal people have managed to still have a decent standard of life with growing inequality is because of constant growth. There is already growing discontent with the very slowed down growth of recent years in the first world. So if you somehow manage to artificially stop growth in a capitalist economy, the consequences will be bad. You can't make a system geared towards permanent growth just stop without ruining everything or destroying the system.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 04:10:07 AM by Pezevenk »

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 08:19:40 AM »
Ive taken Economics in college and high school and I realized that the real economy does not seem to work anything like I was told. Therefore the economy is a myth.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 09:50:18 AM »
Ive taken Economics in college and high school and I realized that the real economy does not seem to work anything like I was told. Therefore the economy is a myth.

Hello spambot, bye.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Pezevenk

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 01:32:57 PM »

Hello spambot, bye.
But he had a point. The economy don't real.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 04:01:31 PM »
The spambot knows.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.