Evidence of flat earth

• 17 Replies
?

alex314

• Truth, knowledge and science.
Evidence of flat earth
« on: August 12, 2019, 04:11:07 AM »
Is there any evidence in favor of flat earth I can easily observe myself?

• Without expensive equipment or traveling far away?
  • Without relying on statements from other people, or what is being said in Youtube?
  • With something I can observe myself?
  • With something that clearly is inconsistent to the 'sphere model'?

Please flat earthers, speak up!

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Evidence of flat earth
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 05:09:29 AM »
Have you ever directly experienced anything in your entire life that would lead you to believe you were living on a sphere hurtling through space? If you hadn't been repeatedly told it was true, would you ever suspect that it was?

There is your answer: Your own eyes.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 05:41:09 AM »
Have you ever directly experienced anything in your entire life that would lead you to believe you were living on a sphere hurtling through space? If you hadn't been repeatedly told it was true, would you ever suspect that it was?

Alex314 said nothing about "a sphere hurtling through space" so stop trying to confuse the issue.

He asked:
Is there any evidence in favor of flat earth I can easily observe myself?

• Without expensive equipment or traveling far away?
  • Without relying on statements from other people, or what is being said in Youtube?
  • With something I can observe myself?
  • With something that clearly is inconsistent to the 'sphere model'?

Please flat earthers, speak up!
And I'd be the first to agree that simple observation from earth without accurate instruments cannot prove that the earth rotates.
Though there is plenty of other evidence for rotation.

?

alex314

• Truth, knowledge and science.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 05:56:03 AM »

To add here: I have never seen anything that contradicts the 'sphere model'. But I have seen a lot of things that contradicts flat earth models...

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 10:20:48 AM »

If the earth is flat, why can't I see the tops of tall buildings (and at night, their lights) which on a round earth are below the horizon?
The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 10:27:13 AM »

If the earth is flat, why can't I see the tops of tall buildings (and at night, their lights) which on a round earth are below the horizon?

You probable could if you had superman optics that could also see through, blizzards, rain storms, fog, density, and the next hill.
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 10:43:52 AM »

You probable could if you had superman optics that could also see through, blizzards, rain storms, fog, density, and the next hill.

...but we can see stars on a clear night, all the way down to the horizon.
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 02:56:23 PM »

...but we can see stars on a clear night, all the way down to the horizon.

platas has yet to come to terms with this in his other thread.
funny how we separately came up with the same "issue" with his model (and most likely it was brought up years ago in threads past).

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 05:37:05 PM »
Try getting a fair distance out of the city and looking at the high rise buildings. Gotta be honest here, i suspect there may be some conspiracy involved (or maybe just strange "coincidence") and that you may have to try some backroads to find a clear vantage point.

In my area, i found a clear view from a place called "Clareview" - 40 km from downtown, which should result in about 300ish ft of curvature on level ground. Admittedly, it's a little difficult to figure out how different elevations come into play. you could see the building top to bottom, but on a bit of a plateau. From the main highway, it's seemingly a llittle extra complicated to see downtown.

For example, they built some extra tall highrises, but from the brief window of a vantage point there are smaller buildings in a similar direction that appear about the height that the curvature WOULD create... could be jumping to conclusion here, but odviously someone may be hiding this from us.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 05:22:55 AM »

Hahaha.

But seriously, why can't I?
The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 05:30:19 AM »
The path of the sun every day is a good proof.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 05:33:02 AM »
Try getting a fair distance out of the city and looking at the high rise buildings. Gotta be honest here, i suspect there may be some conspiracy involved (or maybe just strange "coincidence") and that you may have to try some backroads to find a clear vantage point.

In my area, i found a clear view from a place called "Clareview" - 40 km from downtown, which should result in about 300ish ft of curvature on level ground. Admittedly, it's a little difficult to figure out how different elevations come into play. you could see the building top to bottom, but on a bit of a plateau. From the main highway, it's seemingly a little extra complicated to see downtown.
I assume you mean Clareview, CA but "40 km from downtown" where? It could be Haywood or many other places.

Quote from: faded mike
For example, they built some extra tall highrises, but from the brief window of a vantage point there are smaller buildings in a similar direction that appear about the height that the curvature WOULD create... could be jumping to conclusion here, but odviously someone may be hiding this from us.
It's a bit hard commenting when you don't say where to.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:35:52 AM by rabinoz »

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 06:18:28 AM »

You're going to have to do better than that Tom.   If someone who was unaware of commercial air travel suddenly woke up in a jumbo jet at cruising altitude, would they suspect they were travelling through the air at 600 mph at 35,000 feet?  If not, does that mean they must be still sitting on the runway because it feels that way?

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 06:33:24 AM »

In my area, i found a clear view from a place called "Clareview" - 40 km from downtown, which should result in about 300ish ft of curvature on level ground. Admittedly, it's a little difficult to figure out how different elevations come into play. you could see the building top to bottom, but on a bit of a plateau. From the main highway, it's seemingly a llittle extra complicated to see downtown.

Theres a conspiracy keeping you from getting out of the city?
Is this dark city?
Is this truman?

Why use land that goes up and down and all over the place? - use water which is mostly "flat".
(Btw its not difficult becauae google maps can give yoy elevation, or your local library will have an actual paper map, or yoy could gps a few key ppints yourself).

Dafuq?

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »
 #3 - yeah that was pretty much my sentiments

because the view all to often seems conveniently blocked....hmm
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:15:13 PM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 04:40:32 PM »
#3 - yeah that was pretty much my sentiments

because the view all to often seems conveniently blocked....hmm

I'm not sure I'm following. Are you saying that "the conspiracy" built some buildings for the express purpose to obscure your view from 40 km away to make it hard for you to see if the earth is curved or not?

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 10:13:13 PM »

I cannot see curvature, but that does not mean it does not exist.  I cannot see viruses but people get sick.   I cannot see air, but I can feel the wind.  I cannot see electromagnetic waves and yet my wifi and cell phone work, dropped calls and everything.  I cannot see atoms and yet we have figured out how to split them (for weapons and energy).   I cant see radiation but no way in hell you would get me to live within 500 miles of Chernobyl.  Although apparently since its been covered, the radiation exposure is limited and the area has become something of a tourist destination now.  No thank you.  I'll stick with Disneyland.

Look at an airplane.  Who would think that a 400 ton object could fly (certain variants of the 747 weigh around 800,000 lbs)  If you had not seen it for yourself, would you believe this is possible.  And yet through the magic of engineering and physics we have figured out how to make a plane defy gravity (assuming you believe in gravity).

The rationale that "I don't see it therefore it doesn't exist" mantra of the FEers has to be the absolute worst reason to believe in anything.  The same goes for "I don't understand it, so it cant be true."

Have you ever directly experienced anything in your entire life that would lead you to believe you were living on a sphere...
There are lots of things that at least hint that I am on a spherical planet if not outright prove it.  The most obvious is all the pictures taken from space that show the spherical earth.  However seeing as how those are all fake, we cant really use those as 'evidence'.  And besides, since I have not personally taken any of those pictures, that doesn't count as 'directly experienced'.
However, I have personally seen a lunar eclipse.  Something has to be casting a round shadow on the moon.  And the only way a rounded shadow gets projected on the moon at every angle is if the earth is a sphere. 
Looking up in the sky, the stars rotate one direction in the Southern Hemisphere and the other direction in the Northern Hemisphere.  Again no possible way to explain this on a flat earth.  Technically I have not been to the southern Hemisphere so not sure i can count this as 'directly experienced' but i will lump it in here anyway.
The sun and moon are obviously spheres, I have seen Jupiter through a large enough telescope to know its a sphere, same with some of the other planets.
Why would all these be spheres and the earth flat.

As a rebuttal to your statement, these are just a few things that had no one ever told me the earth was flat or round, I would have come to my own conclusion that the earth was round.  Or at the very least, make me suspect it.  I would certainly not automatically assume its flat 'because I can't see curvature'.

... hurtling through space?
This is a more debatable argument.  It is much more difficult to find direct experience/knowledge/proof that the earth is moving through space.  I won't argue this point. 

Evidence for the shape of the earth is everywhere, Flat earthers just refuse to acknowledge it.   Their argument is, we don't see curvature, therefore it doesn't exist.   End of story.

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 12:27:59 AM »

Honestly, really?

You can see a lunar eclipse with your own eyes, but the easiest explanation cannot be accepted, so instead of believing your own eyes it brings more sense to believe in some mystical invisible shadow object covering the moon.
You can see an ISS or some satellites with some analog equipment with your own eyes. But the easiest explanation cannot be accepted, so it brings more sense to claim that those are alien space ships (Marg Sergant (tm)) or a mystical fake projection made with invisible projector using unknown technology by unknown species.
You can see ships disappearing from the bottom at greater distances, and the easiest explanation can't be accepted! It's a mirage or refraction every time, even if there are no other light deformations visible!

So, honestly, stop telling stories.