VAMPIRES/Werepenguin XVI - Game Thread

• 390 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: VAMPIRES/Werepenguin XVI - Game Thread
« Reply #360 on: August 13, 2019, 04:57:47 PM »
I'm going to the library to look up info on Liam's family.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #361 on: August 13, 2019, 04:58:13 PM »
THEY'RE BOTH SHIFTY!

I think you meant shiftless.

What I can't wrap my head around is why has the vamp not killed anyone yet. What's the strategy there? To just hypno everyone and cock block the voting? Me, if I were the vamp, there would be dead bodies everywhere. So it's someone who is crafting a real strategy not just racing through the village fanging every living thing in sight like I would.

NSS and Junker are crafty like that, one has been quiet and one verbose and eager. But stuffing the ballot box doesn't seem like their style, instead seems like a very Crouton thing to do. That's where I'm leaning.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #362 on: August 13, 2019, 05:13:07 PM »
I'm going to the library to look up info on Liam's family.
The Overtons have long lived in Planaterra, though he is the only one to carry the name for some years. His mother died long ago, buried in the church graveyard. Many rumours surround them, of course, though sorting through all of them takes time.
You eventually find an old book, referenced in others, that details the story of Nara Overton in a section titled 'Maleficium.' The story goes she called upon dark powers to change herself, and her very bloodline, so that she and all her descendants might find it possible to work a powerful kind of magic. She used, supposedly, jewelled blades exposed to moonlight and complicated runic symbols, and had tasked her descendants with finding the true way to use them that the culmination of her life's work might be achieved.
The details of what that magic is, however, is no more than speculation. As a matter of curiosity, however, you note that Nara's body was cremated upon her death and her ashes scattered far and wide, with the rumours being that they were afraid she might find a way to return.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #363 on: August 13, 2019, 05:34:27 PM »
I hold the dagger up to the moon light and examine it.  (I assume that I still have it)
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #364 on: August 13, 2019, 06:06:35 PM »
I hold the dagger up to the moon light and examine it.  (I assume that I still have it)
You gave it back in return for his shirt. You're free to go search the ritual site for it though.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

NotSoSkeptical

« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2019, 06:09:05 PM »
You gave it back in return for his shirt. You're free to go search the ritual site for it though.

Is it a smelly shirt?

I go and search the ritual site.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #366 on: August 14, 2019, 12:29:01 AM »

Anyway running out of time, and nobody has voted, if we didn't have the mesmerising thing hanging over us we could have done equal votes for both and got them all killed. I'm going for the obvious, [Jura votes to stake Crouton]
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #367 on: August 14, 2019, 01:15:36 AM »
Agreed, time is a wasting and I'm out for the thick blood of a vampire. This not knowing if I'm hypno'd is a savage twist in this game.

[Stash votes to make croutons out of Crouton] Skewer that mofo vamp.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #368 on: August 14, 2019, 06:47:05 AM »
Sorry Crouton (I'm probably hypnotized anyway) [vote to stake Crouton]
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #369 on: August 14, 2019, 08:11:36 AM »
[votes to not lynch Crouton]

Well if this is it, old boy, then I hope you don't mind if I go out speaking the King's.

Yes, I am what you would call a vampire.  I am the Duke Earl of Sandwich, Baron Montagu.  Hundreds of years ago I led my Earldom in the bloodiest secret civil war this county has ever seen.  The king of burgers came to me and cursed me to walk this Earth as penance until the end of time. 

I had a plan to make things right.  I would construct the City of Eternal Night.  There would be no death, I have not harmed any of your, only mesmerization.  Together we could invent a new club sandwich.  Already I have plans laid out for a fourth slice of bread in the middle.  But because of your murderous nature that can never be.

As you burn me alive ask yourself, who is the true monster?  For the answer, you need only look in the mirror.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Junker

« Reply #370 on: August 14, 2019, 08:35:49 AM »
[vote to lynch crouton]

Everyone pile in since we don't know how many votes actually count...

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #371 on: August 14, 2019, 08:39:08 AM »

Quote from: some evil dead bloodsucker
As you burn me alive ask yourself, who is the true monster?

Burn him! Us!

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #372 on: August 14, 2019, 09:03:22 AM »
"Well, looking at the votes, ooh, it's close, only a one vote majority..." the vampire hunter begins. Junker approaches and whispers something. Jane hesitates. "Huh? He confessed. Well, that does make it easier. Now, there are many ways we can kill a vampire, a stake was successful last time-"
"BURN HIM!" Jura shouts. The ghost of Boydster cheers her on.
"Well of course you'd say that," Jane says. "We could just behead him. Easier, quicker, not gratuitously grisly. There's a forge just down the street. I could go get a sword, and-"
But it is too late. The villagers have already pulled out their torches and march on the one that they had known, the one that had been their friend, Crouton.
He gives a grand speech. The four who votes for him march forward nonetheless; seeing no more point in secrecy, Crouton focuses his hypnotic power. Those already conditioned to him drop their torches, Junker and SCG both slowing and falling to their knees. Jura and Stash each reach him though.
Crouton wrestles with Stash and Jura, his enhanced strength giving him an advantage, even outnumbered. He grips the torches in their hands, threatening to turn the flame back on them; Jura drops hers, and moves to help support Stash. Two against one, fighting for control of the flame.
"Hey!" Jura shouts. "Vampire hunter! You're meant to be helping us aren't you?"
"Huh? Whassat?" Jane says. She appears to have pulled some popcorn out of thin air. "Sure you're doing fine. Keep at it!"
Grimacing, Jura turns back to the battle. She and Stash work together, and they even feel the presence of Boydster, the one villager to have fallen over the past days, lending them extra strength. Innocent might be pushing it, but the arsonist certainly gives them the power needed to send the fire where it needs to go.
It catches, and the vampire's skin lights up in an instant. Crouton gives one last scream, and falls back, and burns on the ground for a long, long time, until all that remains is ash and a blackened scar on the stone.
Then Jane puts down her popcorn, stands up, walks over, and jams a stake into the earth.
"There!" she says. "Done it."
"Uh. What did you actually do?"
"I killed him," Jane says.
"Uh. Nope. That was us."
"He was going to come back. Vampires do that."
"He was a pile of ash."
"They're cunning like that."
"We killed him."
"You're welcome," Jane said.
"When did you actually contribute anything?"
"I saved you!" Jane says. She moved to pick up her back. "One more village freed from the blight of vampire-kind. Ah, but the life of a vampire hunter is a long, lonely one, and one I must return to. I bid you well, citizens of Planaterra. Please try not to burn down your town."

The final vampire is dead. I helped. Honest.
Congratulations villagers! 

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #373 on: August 14, 2019, 09:11:28 AM »

Get in!

Now  perhaps you can explain all that nonsense with SCG's imaginary boyfriend!

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #374 on: August 14, 2019, 09:33:10 AM »

Get in!

Now  perhaps you can explain all that nonsense with SCG's imaginary boyfriend!
He wasn't meant to exist honestly. Just threw him in as a joke with people digging up bodies on an early night, then turned into a nice way to foreshadow. He's part of a family of wannabe-necromancers, and successfully brought back a zombie on day three, which was meant to serve as a body (when caught) for a spirit to inhabit as a functional 'bring a dead person back to life.'
Also, the apothecary had a basement that would've been found out about after research, in which the key to the door under the church would've been found. There was a crucifix in there.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #375 on: August 14, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »
Okay, I really liked the set up of this one. It wasn't easy for either side, we didn't really have a clue that Crouton was the vampire, it could have gone either way. The side quest part was a lot of fun, too.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #376 on: August 14, 2019, 10:33:18 AM »
Good game, even if I didn't get to bite anyone
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #377 on: August 14, 2019, 10:49:48 AM »
Great game. Thanks Jane! Can we burn down the library now?

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #378 on: August 14, 2019, 10:57:05 AM »
Great game. 

Some thoughts.

I like the idea of team evil basically picking their teammates.  A related idea I've had is at the start of the game ask everyone who is up to being evil to let the narrator know.  That way if a player has something going on where they can't focus then they're off the hook.

At the start of this game there is only one evil player.  Technically the good side could get very lucky and end the game on the first day.

I don't see any advantage in killing people over hypnotizing.  Unless I'm missing something it seems better to mesmerize them and that way there's more warm bodies for the humans to attack.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #379 on: August 14, 2019, 11:23:47 AM »
At the start of this game there is only one evil player.  Technically the good side could get very lucky and end the game on the first day.
Spotted that; it's why the game started at night. Evil could choose whether it wanted to take the risk and hypnotise, then turn someone who ended up being more trusted on the good guys' side, or play defensive immediately and turn a partner.
In retrospect, I like the idea of the original vamp always being able to turn a second vampire (a maximum of two, but in this case you could've turned another partner after Gayer) because a lot of information then gets given about all the people scanned before that point. The identity of the original vampire gets massive narrowed down suddenly if the turned vamp dies, and if the original vampire dies then the vamps are on their last life. Not comfortable with doing that with this few players though.

I don't see any advantage in killing people over hypnotizing.  Unless I'm missing something it seems better to mesmerize them and that way there's more warm bodies for the humans to attack.
Yep, it is better, but giving you the option to kill if you feel like it doesn't detract. It's mostly there to give vampires a response to the minigames; if they want they can kill someone they think bears an item and thus remove it from play. Never had the chance to become relevant though as the stake, crucifix and eventual zombie went unclaimed. Also interacts with roles, if there's someone they think is too dangerous to live, if anyone wants to introduce roles to this variant.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #380 on: August 14, 2019, 12:06:59 PM »
I didn't want this one to end.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #381 on: August 14, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »

Enjoyed that, although my hopes that I had found a faithful companion to help in the fight was (literally) dashed early on, did I burn the stake in the coffin?

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #382 on: August 14, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »

Enjoyed that, although my hopes that I had found a faithful companion to help in the fight was (literally) dashed early on, did I burn the stake in the coffin?
Yep. I was worried I made the quests too easy with how quickly you dug it up. Then you forgot you had a sword.

Junker

« Reply #383 on: August 14, 2019, 02:22:42 PM »
This was fun. I will get in on the d&d action more next time.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #384 on: August 14, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »
Someone who knows how to d&d should figure out how we can do it on the forum. It was way more fun searching for clues this time.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #385 on: August 14, 2019, 06:37:29 PM »

Yep. I was worried I made the quests too easy with how quickly you dug it up. Then you forgot you had a sword.

Great game Jane. The mini-games were great. I just didn't have the time to partake in them this go around, but definitely a great way to deepen the mechanics. Side bonus, I think SCG and Liam are a total thing now.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #386 on: August 14, 2019, 06:41:27 PM »
JURA KILLED HIM, YOU MONSTER.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #387 on: August 14, 2019, 08:01:27 PM »

Sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers.

NotSoSkeptical

« Reply #388 on: August 14, 2019, 08:43:12 PM »
It was a good game.  I missed a lot of it.
Rabinoz RIP

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #389 on: August 15, 2019, 12:09:45 AM »

He wasn't good for you, you'll see that eventually.

Slemon!   THIEF!