When will RE Community Accept Defeat?

• 1981 Replies

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
Re: When will RE Community Accept Defeat?
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2019, 08:29:56 PM »
In the mean time. you should actually try to verify the surface curvature of any landmass or canal. You might be a hero!
And I suggest in the mean time, you actually learn how curvature and elevation work.  "Sea-level" is an elevation of 'zero' that follows Earth's curvature through land, not an elevation that runs in a straight tangent between coasts.

You lose.

What's your next question that you don't understand?

You don't understand Flat Earth, but the important question is "can you prove the foundation of the Globe theory through verifying the alleged surface curvature of any landmass or canal? 
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Plat Terra

« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2019, 08:39:18 PM »
Would anyone here like to present a Globe Earth model drawing (in detail) showing how much surface curvature bulge the Suez canal should have at center by its over all length?   

And are you capable of verifying that it does conform to a 3959 mile radius?

Thanks in advance!
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2019, 09:23:02 PM »

What don't you understand about the words "sea level"? Why are you replacing that term with "underground plane"? There is no such thing. Otherwise everything on the planet when expressed as height would be, "X feet above the 'underground plane'". That literally makes no sense. Do you say that Mt Everest is "29,000 feet above the underground plane"?

Do you really not understand the globe model?

It's clear what I mean. "underground plane connecting the oceans (0' elevation) coastlines"

If we lived on a Globe it would be expressed as Sea Curvevel

I am using the Globe Earth model and Macarios's language. See....

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=82582.msg2191472#msg2191472

You are wildly misinterpreting Macario's original image and applying some sort of bizarre near logic to it. Globe model:

Gatun is 85' above SEA LEVEL not above an "underground plane".

Are you being cheeky or do you really have no concept as to how the globe model works?

No, I used his words in his Model Earth drawing and used his drawing. I noticed you removed his words and that plane line. Why?

Because you were incapable of understanding his first diagram (which is aimed at maybe a 3rd grader on up):

And then you couldn't seem to comprehend his second diagram and got hung up on 'underground plane' even though it's been made painfully clear we are all talking about SEA LEVEL.

According to you and your warped non-knowledge of the globe model, there should be a 'bulge' of water about 300 miles high over the center of the US. Correct?

Plat Terra

« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2019, 09:36:43 PM »

What don't you understand about the words "sea level"? Why are you replacing that term with "underground plane"? There is no such thing. Otherwise everything on the planet when expressed as height would be, "X feet above the 'underground plane'". That literally makes no sense. Do you say that Mt Everest is "29,000 feet above the underground plane"?

It's clear what I mean. "underground plane connecting the oceans (0' elevation) coastlines"

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=82582.msg2191472#msg2191472

You are wildly misinterpreting Macario's original image and applying some sort of bizarre near logic to it. Globe model:

Are you being cheeky or do you really have no concept as to how the globe model works?

No, I used his words in his Model Earth drawing and used his drawing. I noticed you removed his words and that plane line. Why?

Because you were incapable of understanding his first diagram (which is aimed at maybe a 3rd grader on up):

And then you couldn't seem to comprehend his second diagram and got hung up on 'underground plane' even though it's been made painfully clear we are all talking about SEA LEVEL.

According to you and your warped non-knowledge of the globe model, there should be a 'bulge' of water about 300 miles high over the center of the US. Correct?

No, I had wrote to him stating he had not included curvature details and he went back and added them. You weren't following along. But that's no reason to change his drawing.  You don't really understand flat Earth do you?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2019, 09:47:06 PM »
"Mean Sea Level" never means the straight line joining two oceans.

And as NotSoSkeptical says, "Why does your blue sea level follow the continental slope that goes beneath the ocean?"

I expressed "underground plane connecting the oceans (0' elevation) coastlines". O' elevation is mean sea level.
You might express " 'underground plane connecting the oceans (0' elevation) coastlines'. O' elevation is mean sea level."

But it is not! And your keeping on saying that makes no difference to the facts, sorry about that.
Go and ask any geodetic surveyor because they are the ones that prepare the plans for large scale projects like the Panama and Suez Canal.

But in any case this erroneous claim of yours is not the only evidence thst we live on a Globe. You don't seem to have addressed these yet.
All the points you raise show nothing more than your failure to understand that elevations are measured above Mean Sea Level and not above some arbitrary lines that you choose to draw.

But the Globe Community might consider accepting defeat when, for a start, you have proven the earth to be flat with a coherent model that has:
  • An accurate map with the correct distances and directions adequate for long and short distance precise navigation.
    Note that ship and aircraft navigator have long used Globe derived maps to determine distance and directions.
    Many aircraft flights, including Kingsford Smith's crossing of the Pacific would have ended in disaster without accurate charts.

• A flat earth shape/topology that allows "circumnavigation" in any of the many directions that have already been performed.
    In particular there are numerous polar-circumnavigations via both poles and a number equatorial circumnavigation, including one within 2 degrees of the equator.

• An explanation for both the sun and moon appearing to rise rise top first from behind the horizon and appearing to set bottom first behind the horizon.

• An explanation for the sun and moon remaining almost exactly the same angular size from rising to setting and from wherever they are observed.

• Some way to predict the directions and times of sunrises and sunsets.

• A shape that allows the elevation of the Pole star, Polaris, above horizontal to be almost equal to the latitude from which the observation is made.

• An explanation for the constellations remaining the same shape and size from rising to setting and from wherever they are observed.

• How the stars in the Northern Hemisphere can appear to rotate anti-clockwise around what known as the North Celestial Pole (close to Polaris) while
    the stars in the Southern Hemisphere can appear to rotate clockwise around what known as the South Celestial Pole (close to the faint star Sigma Octantis).
    In other words the stars appear to rotate around two distinct axes of rotation.

This is just a few that I can think of on the spot. Come back when you have sorted all those out.

I'm sure we can come up with a lot more things like the direction of rotation of hurricanes and cyclones and then the ordinary High and Low weather systems.

I'm sure that all these simple points have been raised before but I made a neat list for you to start on.
Or this:
There another simple observation that confirms that we live on a Globe and that is:
  • The "Wiki" claims that:
    Basic Perspective
    A fact of basic perspective is that the line of the horizon is always at eye level with the observer.
    Have you ever noticed that as you climb a mountain the line of the horizon seems to rise with you?
    But it is easy to show that the horizon does not rise to "eye-level" as elevation increases but falls below it be a quite predictable angle.
What about addressing all these other issues the do not find your flat earth hypothesis?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »

No, I had wrote to him stating he had not included curvature details and he went back and added them. You weren't following along. But that's no reason to change his drawing.  You don't really understand flat Earth do you?

Do you understand what sea level is and that Mt Everest is not 29,000 feet above the 'underground plane'?

Plat Terra

« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2019, 09:58:34 PM »

And as NotSoSkeptical says, "Why does your blue sea level follow the continental slope that goes beneath the ocean?"

I expressed "underground plane connecting the oceans (0' elevation) coastlines". O' elevation is mean sea level.
You might express " 'underground plane connecting the oceans (0' elevation) coastlines'. O' elevation is mean sea level."

But it is not! And your keeping on saying that makes no difference to the facts, sorry about that.
Go and ask any geodetic surveyor because they are the ones that prepare the plans for large scale projects like the Panama and Suez Canal.

But in any case this erroneous claim of yours is not the only evidence thst we live on a Globe. You don't seem to have addressed these yet.
All the points you raise show nothing more than your failure to understand that elevations are measured above Mean Sea Level and not above some arbitrary lines that you choose to draw.

But the Globe Community might consider accepting defeat when, for a start, you have proven the earth to be flat with a coherent model that has:
  • An accurate map with the correct distances and directions adequate for long and short distance precise navigation.
    Note that ship and aircraft navigator have long used Globe derived maps to determine distance and directions.
    Many aircraft flights, including Kingsford Smith's crossing of the Pacific would have ended in disaster without accurate charts.

• A flat earth shape/topology that allows "circumnavigation" in any of the many directions that have already been performed.
    In particular there are numerous polar-circumnavigations via both poles and a number equatorial circumnavigation, including one within 2 degrees of the equator.

• An explanation for both the sun and moon appearing to rise rise top first from behind the horizon and appearing to set bottom first behind the horizon.

• An explanation for the sun and moon remaining almost exactly the same angular size from rising to setting and from wherever they are observed.

• A shape that allows the elevation of the Pole star, Polaris, above horizontal to be almost equal to the latitude from which the observation is made.

• An explanation for the constellations remaining the same shape and size from rising to setting and from wherever they are observed.

• How the stars in the Northern Hemisphere can appear to rotate anti-clockwise around what known as the North Celestial Pole (close to Polaris) while
    the stars in the Southern Hemisphere can appear to rotate clockwise around what known as the South Celestial Pole (close to the faint star Sigma Octantis).

This is just a few that I can think of on the spot. Come back when you have sorted all those out.

I'm sure we can come up with a lot more things like the direction of rotation of hurricanes and cyclones and then the ordinary High and Low weather systems.

I'm sure that all these simple points have been raised before but I made a neat list for you to start on.
Or this:
There another simple observation that confirms that we live on a Globe and that is:
    Basic Perspective
    A fact of basic perspective is that the line of the horizon is always at eye level with the observer.
    Have you ever noticed that as you climb a mountain the line of the horizon seems to rise with you?
    But it is easy to show that the horizon does not rise to "eye-level" as elevation increases but falls below it be a quite predictable angle.
What about addressing all these other issues the do not find your flat earth hypothesis?

Please stay on topic. I am sure you have discussed your questions with others here.

Your welcome to verify the alleged curvature of the Suez and post it here. That's where I am headed next. Join me.

Thanks!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2019, 10:19:31 PM »

Or this:
    Basic Perspective

Please stay on topic. I am sure you have discussed your questions with others here.

Your welcome to verify the alleged curvature of the Suez and post it here. That's where I am headed next. Join me.

Thanks!
The topic is "When will RE Community Accept Defeat?" and those points are all very relevant to that question.

You asked the question but I fail to what gives you the right to ignore most of the evidence and concentrate on an issue that cannot be proven or disproven by any here.

On the Suez Canal:
The Suez Canal is now 120.1 miles long and, apart from small tidal differences, the surface is at sea-level.
What is the point in "showing how much surface curvature bulge the Suez canal should have at center by its over all length?"
The surface in the centre would be some 2405 feet above a straight line joining sea-level at each end but that is of no relevance!

If you take issue with that ask your nearest geodetic surveyor how the levels were determined.

Macarios

« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2019, 10:37:52 PM »
In a spherical world engineers would include curvature in their engineering profiles and drawings. Are you seeing it yet?

In spherical world engineers measure from Mean Sea Level.
Not from some imaginary straight line underground.
Not from some point 18 miles away.

Engineers know that builders will measure from Mean Sea Level as well.
Not from that imaginary straight line.

For that straight line nobody cares in reality.
It means nothing.

Mean Sea Level is the level where the water would be if there was no land there.

You replied to these words "In a spherical world engineers would include curvature in their engineering profiles and drawings." Your reply has nothing to do with what I wrote in bold.

But you measured from the imaginary straight line, for your Globe Earth Model to show how much surface curvature there should be between oceans and where to place sea level (at 216') and where to place Gatun Lake.  Did you forget about this? See what you posted in the following link.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=82582.msg2191475#msg2191475

It is you who measured from the imaginary straight line, and it is you who added those 216 feet.
You presented those 216 feet in your greatly exaggerated "pile of water"
where your versions of elevations were measured from the bottom of it.

I also asked you to make the same assumption for Lake Kariba in Zambia, to show you where is the error.
I also asked you to tell us how high was that sea gull south of Panama City, was it 453 or 100 feet?

Eleveation is measured from Mean Sea Level both in design and in construction.
That Mean Sea Level can be shown as straight line in blueprints,
because your 216 feet compared to 36 miles is 0.04088 / 36 = 0.0011356 = 0.11356%

If one makes the drawing of Panama Canal from end to end to be, say, 3 feet,
then the bulge in the middle would be 3 x 0.0011356 = 0.0034 ft which is 1 millimeter.
The pencil line is 0.7 milimeter thick.

Would you bother to draw that millimeter at the line 3 feet long (914 mm)?

Would that millimeter mean anything to construction teams, when they also measure from Mean Sea Level, and not from any straight line?

EDIT: If these images here on an average monitor are 0.3 ft wide, then the bulge in the middle is 0.1 mm, while one pixel is 0.28 mm.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:49:46 PM by Macarios »
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2019, 10:48:04 PM »
Here you go, plats......

« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2019, 11:32:21 PM »
Here's another one, plats, so we don't have to all read through lots and lots of words for what can be explained by a simple couple of diagrams:

« Reply #161 on: August 01, 2019, 01:53:45 AM »
Here's another one, plats, so we don't have to all read through lots and lots of words for what can be explained by a simple couple of diagrams:

Well, a new player appears on the scene, with simple diagrams that won't confuse even the *youngest* Flat-Earther ...

?

frenat

« Reply #162 on: August 01, 2019, 05:19:38 AM »
You’re welcome.

Anyways. As already explained to you 100 times. The Panama Canal follows the curvature. 85 feet above sea level is 85 feet above sea level.

You said yes to "verifying the surface curvature of any landmass or canal" but gave a different argument. So I assume you can't do it?

Boats going over a alleged curve is a different issue. Some don't understand the science behind a surface mirage. You know, that image that heat and humidity creates near a flat surface and blocks the view?

Please stay on topic.

Not a mirage but refraction seen earlier in the day when you have cooler air.  but thanks for proving you don't understand the subject you argue against.

?

frenat

« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2019, 05:21:38 AM »
Please note, you did not and will not ever debunk the globe.

You know, you can actually solve your problem by actually verifying the surface curvature of any landmass or canal. Can you do it?
We have no problem to solve. You have!

But curvature of any landmass is rather useless because landmasses have so many "ups and downs" that 216' in 36 miles would never be noticed.

And the curvature across place like Lake Pontchartrain have been demonstrated often enough. 

Soundly Proving the Curvature of the Earth at Lake Pontchartrain

And there's plenty more if you really want to be shown that water does really "curve".

I ask that you please stay on topic.

Thanks.

Hilarious that you post this again and prove you didn't read the objections from the first time. Of course when you view from higher up and zoom in you can see the shore line. That is how the horizon on a globe Earth works. It is farther away with an increase in elevation. But thanks AGAIN for proving you don't understand the subject.

Plat Terra

« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »
Here you go, plats......

The person that made your meme is dishonest. No flat Earther thinks that would happen on a sphere. We understand your theory. It would curve as they expressed.

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2019, 11:08:58 AM »
Here you go, plats......

The person that made your meme is dishonest. No flat Earther thinks that would happen on a sphere. We understand your theory. It would curve as they expressed.

Another plat idea in the dustbin...

Got any more?
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2019, 11:42:02 AM »
Here you go, plats......

You realize that your uninformed notion about the Panama Canal is the same as the uninformed notion about the Suez Canal that you say no Flat Earther thinks would happen on a sphere?

These are the same bad concept:

Plat Terra

« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2019, 12:27:19 PM »
Here you go, plats......

You realize that your uninformed notion about the Panama Canal is the same as the uninformed notion about the Suez Canal that you say no Flat Earther thinks would happen on a sphere?

No, two different things. The Sues canal does not have any mass at center 85' above the sea level of both bodies of water. The oceans at the panama Canal does, but should have more if Earth is a sphere. The  lack of curvature is measured at the panama Canal. That's the key! But, you and others here  like to twist things don't you!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:29:30 PM by Plat Terra »

Plat Terra

« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2019, 12:31:53 PM »
We know what you guys think should happen on a spherical Earth. So please express it correctly.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:01:12 PM by Plat Terra »

« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2019, 12:32:28 PM »
How is it twisted?
You literally produced a drawing and said the horz line should equal ~200ft of buldge.
No?
Yes?
Not hard to verfiy what you said.
Trying to pull a donald trump?

Plat Terra

« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2019, 12:39:12 PM »
How is it twisted?
You literally produced a drawing and said the horz line should equal ~200ft of buldge.
No?
Yes?
Not hard to verfiy what you said.
Trying to pull a donald trump?

You are welcome to quote me that states "the horizon line should equal ~200ft of buldge"

Or are you twisting things?

« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2019, 12:42:31 PM »
This guy is pulling a whole tomB-scepti-wise post here - hung up on one item-inventingwords-posting replies as an image

Other definitions of level:
give a flat and even surface to.
"contractors started leveling the ground for the new power station"
synonyms:   make level, level out, level off, make even, even off, even out, make flat, flatten, smooth, smooth out, plane, make uniform, make regular, regularize; More
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 12:45:26 PM by Themightykabool »

« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2019, 12:44:14 PM »

Both the coastlines of Atlantic and Pacific are at 0' Sea level and both are 3,962 miles from Earths alleged center.
The distance between Oceans with the Panama Canal in-between is about 36 Miles.
The center of Panama Canal is about 18 miles from the coast on Gatun Lake and is 85’ above each Ocean shoreline.
The drop in curvature at 18 miles is 216’.  That places Earth’s curvature at 216’ (3962 miles from center of Earth) feet above each coastline at center.
That also places Gatun Lake 131’ below Earths alleged 3962 mile radius marker.
That means if Earth were a Globe, the Panama Canal could not exist because Gatun Lake would be under 131’ of sea water at 18 miles from the Coast. The Canal exists because water does not curve.

It’s that simple, we won. We really never lost. Earth Remains a flat Plane with mountains, hills and valleys and sea level bodies of water.

But the real question is, when is the Globe community going to accept defeat?

NASA can't help them, fake pictures and fake moon landings cannot rescue them. 

No argument they have is going to magically make the oceans curve and flood the Panama Canal, no matter what they say or do.  It’s not going to happen.  After reading this if one continues to defend a Globe Earth theory, they are just professional deniers who really don’t care for truth.

I typoed.
Horizontal.   Not horizon.
But heres your very first post.
200ft.

Plat Terra

« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »

Both the coastlines of Atlantic and Pacific are at 0' Sea level and both are 3,962 miles from Earths alleged center.
The distance between Oceans with the Panama Canal in-between is about 36 Miles.
The center of Panama Canal is about 18 miles from the coast on Gatun Lake and is 85’ above each Ocean shoreline.
The drop in curvature at 18 miles is 216’.  That places Earth’s curvature at 216’ (3962 miles from center of Earth) feet above each coastline at center.
That also places Gatun Lake 131’ below Earths alleged 3962 mile radius marker.
That means if Earth were a Globe, the Panama Canal could not exist because Gatun Lake would be under 131’ of sea water at 18 miles from the Coast. The Canal exists because water does not curve.

It’s that simple, we won. We really never lost. Earth Remains a flat Plane with mountains, hills and valleys and sea level bodies of water.

But the real question is, when is the Globe community going to accept defeat?

NASA can't help them, fake pictures and fake moon landings cannot rescue them. 

No argument they have is going to magically make the oceans curve and flood the Panama Canal, no matter what they say or do.  It’s not going to happen.  After reading this if one continues to defend a Globe Earth theory, they are just professional deniers who really don’t care for truth.

I typoed.
Horizontal.   Not horizon.
But heres your very first post.
200ft.

My first post do not contain the words "horizontal, equal,  bulge or 200ft."  You are twisting things as I first stated.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:16:04 PM by Plat Terra »

« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2019, 02:14:08 PM »
Here you go, plats......

No, two different things. The Sues canal does not have any mass at center 85' above the sea level of both bodies of water. The oceans at the panama Canal does, but should have more if Earth is a sphere. The  lack of curvature is measured at the panama Canal. That's the key! But, you and others here  like to twist things don't you!

Thebplease do define how there is a difference in waht you stated and what you have been shown to be incorrect?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2019, 02:46:15 PM »
Here you go, plats......

No, they are not two different things. They are literally the same exact concept:

Plat Terra

« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2019, 03:01:08 PM »
This reply is for those who questioned why I have a blued curved ocean over the Panama Canal profile. It was just a visual illustration of how much water would be over the Canal area if Earth were a sphere. In my post I explain the Canal at center would be under 131’ of saltwater.  I didn’t know I had to spell it out for some.

I also would like to  make another point.

If Earth were a sphere and the land curved with the sphere, Gatun lake would have already been at least 301’ or more (instead of at 85’) from the underground plane connecting the oceans (at 0’ elevation) as seen from Macarios' drawing.

Since Earth’s surface was not at curvature of 216’ in reality, it was necessary for Macarios' to make it appear on paper it matched the Globe Earth model through curvature math.  But his method proved he was actually measuring from actually sea level and then moved sea level up to 216’ and placed Gatun 85' higher to match the Globe model.  So yes, if Earth were a sphere, the Panama Canal area would be under 131’ of water because the landmass is below the curvature of a sphere and Gatun is actually only 85' above both oceans and not 301 as can be seen in Macarios' drawing.  Thank goodness it's not a sphere, because a lot of landmass would be underwater. Only mountains and really high hills would exist.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 03:05:44 PM by Plat Terra »

« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2019, 03:15:18 PM »

Equivocation fallacy: Calling two different things by the same name. The use of the word level in the National Geographic quote is not the same as the definition given.

Let's find another place where definitions of "level" is given:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/level

level noun
lev·​el | \ ˈle-vəl
\
Definition of level

(Entry 1 of 3)
1 : a device for establishing a horizontal line or plane by means of a bubble in a liquid that shows adjustment to the horizontal by movement to the center of a slightly bowed glass tube
2 : a measurement of the difference of altitude of two points by means of a level
3 : horizontal condition especially : equilibrium of a fluid marked by a horizontal surface of even altitude water seeks its own level
4a : an approximately horizontal line or surface taken as an index of altitude Charts were arranged at eye level.
b : a practically horizontal surface or area (as of land) the level of the plateau
5 : a position in a scale or rank (as of achievement, significance, or value) funded at the national level the job appeals to me on many levels
6a : a line or surface that cuts perpendicularly all plumb lines that it meets and hence would everywhere coincide with a surface of still water
b : the plane of the horizon or a line in it
7 : a horizontal passage in a mine intended for regular working and transportation
8 : a concentration of a constituent especially of a body fluid (such as blood) a normal blood-sugar level
9 : the magnitude of a quantity considered in relation to an arbitrary reference value broadly : magnitude, intensity a high level of hostility
on the level
: bona fide, honest

level verb
leveled or levelled; leveling or levelling\ ˈle-​və-​liŋ
, ˈlev-​liŋ \

Definition of level (Entry 2 of 3)

transitive verb
1 : to make (a line or surface) horizontal : make flat or level level a field level off a house lot
2a : to bring to a horizontal aiming position
b : aim, direct leveled a charge of fraud
3 : to bring to a common level or plane : equalize love levels all ranks— W. S. Gilbert
4a : to lay level with or as if with the ground : raze
b : to knock down leveled him with one punch
5 : to make (something, such as color) even or uniform
6 : to find the heights of different points in (a piece of land) especially with a surveyor's level

intransitive verb
1 : to attain or come to a level the plane leveled off at 10,000 feet
2 : to aim a gun or other weapon horizontally
3 : to bring persons or things to a level
4 : to deal frankly and openly

level adjective

Definition of level (Entry 3 of 3)
1a : having no part higher than another : conforming to the curvature of the liquid parts of the earth's surface
b : parallel with the plane of the horizon : horizontal
2a : even or unvarying in height
b : equal in advantage, progression, or standing
c : proceeding monotonously or uneventfully
d(1) : steady, unwavering gave him a level look
(2) : calm, unexcited spoke in level tones
3 : reasonable, balanced arrive at a justly proportional and level judgment on this affair— Sir Winston Churchill
4 : distributed evenly level stress
5 : being a surface perpendicular to all lines of force in a field of force : equipotential
6 : suited to a particular rank or plane of ability or achievement top-level thinking
7 : of or relating to the spreading out of a cost or charge in even payments over a period of time
level best
: very best

I run circles around you logically.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2019, 03:27:24 PM »
This reply is for those who questioned why I have a blued curved ocean over the Panama Canal profile. It was just a visual illustration of how much water would be over the Canal area if Earth were a sphere. In my post I explain the Canal at center would be under 131’ of saltwater.  I didn’t know I had to spell it out for some.

I also would like to  make another point.

If Earth were a sphere and the land curved with the sphere, Gatun lake would have already been at least 301’ or more (instead of at 85’) from the underground plane connecting the oceans (at 0’ elevation) as seen from Macarios' drawing.

Since Earth’s surface was not at curvature of 216’ in reality, it was necessary for Macarios' to make it appear on paper it matched the Globe Earth model through curvature math.  But his method proved he was actually measuring from actually sea level and then moved sea level up to 216’ and placed Gatun 85' higher to match the Globe model.  So yes, if Earth were a sphere, the Panama Canal area would be under 131’ of water because the landmass is below the curvature of a sphere and Gatun is actually only 85' above both oceans and not 301 as can be seen in Macarios' drawing.  Thank goodness it's not a sphere, because a lot of landmass would be underwater. Only mountains and really high hills would exist.

No, Macarios was extremely clear, several times. Gatun lake is 85' above SEA LEVEL. This has absolutely nothing to do with a notion of an 'underground plane'. SEA LEVEL!

The white dashed line is SEA LEVEL:

Plat Terra

« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2019, 03:48:48 PM »

Equivocation fallacy: Calling two different things by the same name. The use of the word level in the National Geographic quote is not the same as the definition given.

Let's find another place where definitions of "level" is given:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/level

level noun
lev·​el | \ ˈle-vəl
\
Definition of level

(Entry 1 of 3)
1 : a device for establishing a horizontal line or plane by means of a bubble in a liquid that shows adjustment to the horizontal by movement to the center of a slightly bowed glass tube
2 : a measurement of the difference of altitude of two points by means of a level
3 : horizontal condition especially : equilibrium of a fluid marked by a horizontal surface of even altitude water seeks its own level
4a : an approximately horizontal line or surface taken as an index of altitude Charts were arranged at eye level.
b : a practically horizontal surface or area (as of land) the level of the plateau
5 : a position in a scale or rank (as of achievement, significance, or value) funded at the national level the job appeals to me on many levels
6a : a line or surface that cuts perpendicularly all plumb lines that it meets and hence would everywhere coincide with a surface of still water
7 : a horizontal passage in a mine intended for regular working and transportation
8 : a concentration of a constituent especially of a body fluid (such as blood) a normal blood-sugar level
9 : the magnitude of a quantity considered in relation to an arbitrary reference value broadly : magnitude, intensity a high level of hostility
on the level

level verb
, ˈlev-​liŋ \

transitive verb
1 : to make (a line or surface) horizontal : make flat or level level a field level off a house lot
3 : to bring to a common level or plane : equalize love levels all ranks— W. S. Gilbert
6 : to find the heights of different points in (a piece of land) especially with a surveyor's level

intransitive verb

level adjective

1a : having no part higher than another : conforming to the curvature of the liquid parts of the earth's surface
3 : reasonable, balanced arrive at a justly proportional and level judgment on this affair— Sir Winston Churchill
5 : being a surface perpendicular to all lines of force in a field of force : equipotential
6 : suited to a particular rank or plane of ability or achievement top-level thinking
7 : of or relating to the spreading out of a cost or charge in even payments over a period of time
level best

I run circles around you logically.

The Issue is Sea Level.

But lets do more research into what you posted. You have 1 highlighted and how many do I have?  Who's outnumbered? 

(Entry 1 of 3)
on the level

level verb
, ˈlev-​liŋ \

transitive verb
3 : to bring to a common level or plane: equalize love levels all ranks— W. S. Gilbert

intransitive verb

level adjective

level best