Teacher Jailed for teaching Earth Round, 1900s

• 18 Replies

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
Teacher Jailed for teaching Earth Round, 1900s
« on: July 21, 2019, 05:29:06 PM »
The Globe community would have all believe the Globe theory was settled 500 years ago and the majority worldwide believed so. I hear it all the time but I found this to be another hoax.

A Minnesota newspaper reported the story on April 21. 1900.  It happened in England. Below is a video with the detailed story.

I even remember as a child seeing an old movie where a teacher was rebuked for trying to teach children Earth was a sphere. The kids were sharp and mocked her in a nice way.

The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Stash

Re: Teacher Jailed for teaching Earth Round, 1900s
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 06:08:28 PM »
The Globe community would have all believe the Globe theory was settled 500 years ago and the majority worldwide believed so. I hear it all the time but I found this to be another hoax.

A Minnesota newspaper reported the story on April 21. 1900.  It happened in England. Below is a video with the detailed story.

I even remember as a child seeing an old movie where a teacher was rebuked for trying to teach children Earth was a sphere. The kids were sharp and mocked her in a nice way.

What's your point?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 08:14:09 PM »
The Globe community would have all believe the Globe theory was settled 500 years ago and the majority worldwide believed so.

I hear it all the time but I found this to be another hoax.
Yes that's a hoax started by "A History of the Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus" by Washington Irving.
But whatever Washington Irving might have written Christopher Columbus, as most of his day, considered the earth a Globe.
His problem was that he used Ptolemy's earth's circumference, which was 18% low, instead of the more accurate values or Posidonius or Eratosthenes.

Much of the "Western world", at least, considered the earth to be a Globe from around 300 BC.
Look at the writings of Ptolemy, the Venerable Bede and Johannes de Sacrobosco.

Quote from: Plat Terra

And movies are evidence?
Quote from: Plat Terra

Is an article in the Cook County Herald, Grand Marais, Minnesota, Saturday April 21, 1900, to be taken as reliable evidence of something in Portsmouth, England?

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 06:50:37 AM »
Considering the following article is about the alleged discovery of a mummified giant, it’s probably safe to assume this isn’t a serious news section or a very serious paper.

I guess they had satire and/or bollocks newspapers back in 1900.

Plat Terra

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 07:40:21 AM »
Oh, but  it’s perfectly fine to believe Earth is round through the report that some dead Greek guy allegedly measured Earth’s circumference 2000 years ago with an (inconclusive) shadow experiment. An experiment that most in the RE community today, proves Earth is a round.

Yes, I hear it all the time, “Eratosthenes proved Earth is round with his experiment” they say.
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 07:45:27 AM »

You're missing the point PT, it's not a real report, it didn't happen, okay.
Try checking the veracity of your sources before you gleefully post rubbish.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

High Priestess of the “Society for the Promotion of Arbitrary Moderation” (SPAM)

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 07:59:04 AM »
Oh, but  it’s perfectly fine to believe Earth is round through the report that some dead Greek guy allegedly measured Earth’s circumference 2000 years ago with an (inconclusive) shadow experiment. An experiment that most in the RE community today, proves Earth is a round.

Yes, I hear it all the time, “Eratosthenes proved Earth is round with his experiment” they say.

Eratosthenes may have been an early example, but he’s very far from the reason anyone now thinks the Earth is a globe.

The Ptolemaic model (globe earth, but geocentric) was standard until Copernican revolution in 15th and 16th century.  Not that he was the only one to propose heliocentrism, but it was mainly him leading to it being generally accepted.

Since then, we’ve had hundreds years of science, including Kepler, Newton, Einstein, etc. to refine the model.

No one needs to rely on Eratosthenes‘ simple experiments.  And they haven’t for literally thousands of years.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 08:14:15 AM »
We know the earth is round.  So did Eratosthenes, otherwise he wouldn't have tried to measure it's circumference.  He is famous as he is the first recorded example of someone attempting the measurement, not for "proving the earth was round".

The idea of a sepherical earth had been around for at least 3 centuries (mabye much longer, plenty is lost) before Eratosthenes attempted his measurement.

500 years ago somone circumnavigated the globe - something which has now been done millions of times.  We have weather satellites taking photos of the globe every few minutes.  Why are you so obsessed with "some dead Greek guy"??
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 09:08:14 AM »

Eratosthenes' experiment couldn't 'prove' anything because science doesn't produce 'proofs'. Instead, it provided a reasonably good estimate of the earth's circumference. What this is good evidence of is that, even in ancient Greece, people already recognized that the earth is spherical and were able to devise clever ways to measure its size.

Eratosthenes' "shadow experiment" was done because the length of the shadow of a vertical pole is a simple way to measure the zenith angle of the sun needing only the tools available in his time. Today we have much more precise ways to measure the zenith angle of pretty much any celestial object, not just the sun. So it's not necessary to measure shadows to determine the zenith angle of the sun to see the effect of the curvature of the earth. More modern instruments produce values for the curvature of the earth consistent with it being an ellipsoid with eccentricity of about 0.003, which is close enough to a sphere for most practical purposes to say the earth is spherical.

Sextants work for navigation by measuring the zenith angle of stars (or the sun, but I've heard that's why the usual depiction of a pirate is with an eye patch... because many sailors fried an eye by looking at the sun through a sextant's telescope. Arrrrrgh!). Centuries of celestial navigation has replicated the basis of Eratosthenes' experiment to correctly determine location on the spherical earth countless times. This process wouldn't work the same way if the earth were flat, or not at all, depending on which model of the flat earth you select. That's just one example; another that's commonly done today is when an astronomer sets up an equatorial telescope mount by tilting the polar axis upward at an angle equal to his latitude as a step in polar alignment. If the earth were flat, the change in distance from the equator needed to cause a 1° change the elevation angle of the pole (elevation angle is 90° - zenith angle) would vary by latitude (it would be much greater at the equator than at the poles). It doesn't change by enough to notice, and, because the curvature of the ellipsoidal earth is slightly less at the poles, the distance is least at the poles and greatest at the equator by a fraction of 1%.

So, whether they realize it or not, a vast number of people have replicated Eratosthenes' experiment millions of times, and continue to do so. What they are doing simply would not work if the earth were flat.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 11:25:17 AM »

well, that and the hundreds of thousands of photographs taken of the actual globe earth from space!
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »

well, that and the hundreds of thousands of photographs taken of the actual globe earth from space!
And not all of them are just from NASA alone.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Plat Terra

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 01:23:39 PM »

Do you actually think this picture of a sphere Earth was taken in the vicinity of the moon? Have a real close look. Yes or no?

Stash

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 01:52:36 PM »

Do you actually think this picture of a sphere Earth was taken in the vicinity of the moon? Have a real close look. Yes or no?

You have to get a lot better at this. I know you've been at the flat earth thing for only a couple of months, but if you're gonna play in the "show" you need to up your game. As in, what are you presenting? Where is the image from? Tell us what you have a problem with.

You can't just arbitrarily lift a slow-scan image from the web and be like, "Oh, look at this..."  Back up your semi-claims with some specifics. That way the humans here can actually look into what you may or may not be asserting.

Otherwise, in the absence of any information at all, what do you really expect as a response?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 04:19:22 PM »

Why shouldn't it be? Please explain!

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 04:45:11 PM »

Eratosthenes' experiment couldn't 'prove' anything because science doesn't produce 'proofs'. Instead, it provided a reasonably good estimate of the earth's circumference. What this is good evidence of is that, even in ancient Greece, people already recognized that the earth is spherical and were able to devise clever ways to measure its size.

Eratosthenes' "shadow experiment" was done because the length of the shadow of a vertical pole is a simple way to measure the zenith angle of the sun needing only the tools available in his time. Today we have much more precise ways to measure the zenith angle of pretty much any celestial object, not just the sun. So it's not necessary to measure shadows to determine the zenith angle of the sun to see the effect of the curvature of the earth. More modern instruments produce values for the curvature of the earth consistent with it being an ellipsoid with eccentricity of about 0.003, which is close enough to a sphere for most practical purposes to say the earth is spherical.

Sextants work for navigation by measuring the zenith angle of stars (or the sun, but I've heard that's why the usual depiction of a pirate is with an eye patch... because many sailors fried an eye by looking at the sun through a sextant's telescope. Arrrrrgh!). Centuries of celestial navigation has replicated the basis of Eratosthenes' experiment to correctly determine location on the spherical earth countless times. This process wouldn't work the same way if the earth were flat, or not at all, depending on which model of the flat earth you select. That's just one example; another that's commonly done today is when an astronomer sets up an equatorial telescope mount by tilting the polar axis upward at an angle equal to his latitude as a step in polar alignment. If the earth were flat, the change in distance from the equator needed to cause a 1° change the elevation angle of the pole (elevation angle is 90° - zenith angle) would vary by latitude (it would be much greater at the equator than at the poles). It doesn't change by enough to notice, and, because the curvature of the ellipsoidal earth is slightly less at the poles, the distance is least at the poles and greatest at the equator by a fraction of 1%.

So, whether they realize it or not, a vast number of people have replicated Eratosthenes' experiment millions of times, and continue to do so. What they are doing simply would not work if the earth were flat.
off topic: The reason why pirates were an eye patch ; it allows them to go from above deck, to below deck,  by flipping up the eye patch they were able to see in the dark, below deck.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 05:12:06 PM »
Back on topic:  If you actually read the article in question, you'll see that it never said that the teacher was actually jailed or had any sort of action taken against him.  It was nothing more than the rantings of Ebenezer Beach as a publicity stunt to promote his FE agenda.

https://newspapers.mnhs.org/jsp/viewer.jsp?doc_id=mnhi0031%2F1HMB815A%2F00042101&init_width=600&recoffset=0&collection_filter=All&collection_name=47250251-83ea-48bd-969d-14341926855f&sort_col=title&CurSearchNum=-1&recOffset=0
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Plat Terra

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 05:37:31 PM »

You have to get a lot better at this. I know you've been at the flat earth thing for only a couple of months, but if you're gonna play in the "show" you need to up your game. As in, what are you presenting? Where is the image from? Tell us what you have a problem with.

You can't just arbitrarily lift a slow-scan image from the web and be like, "Oh, look at this..."  Back up your semi-claims with some specifics. That way the humans here can actually look into what you may or may not be asserting.

Otherwise, in the absence of any information at all, what do you really expect as a response?

Do you think this picture of Earth is real?  On August 23 1966, the moon was at first quarter.

Stash

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 06:08:40 PM »

Do you think this picture of Earth is real?  On August 23 1966, the moon was at first quarter.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. A little bit of context, kind of a snide question, fair enough. And something about the moon being at 'first quarter' on that specific date. Now does that have a specific meaning to you? Is there an issue with the moon being at 'first quarter' on that date and how it relates to a 1966 image of the earth from space? Dig a little deeper and serve up more specifics as to what your issue is with the image.

Heavenly Breeze

• Be always great
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 08:17:05 PM »
We know the earth is round.  So did Eratosthenes, otherwise he wouldn't have tried to measure it's circumference.  He is famous as he is the first recorded example of someone attempting the measurement, not for "proving the earth was round".

The idea of a sepherical earth had been around for at least 3 centuries (mabye much longer, plenty is lost) before Eratosthenes attempted his measurement.

500 years ago somone circumnavigated the globe - something which has now been done millions of times.  We have weather satellites taking photos of the globe every few minutes.  Why are you so obsessed with "some dead Greek guy"??

What a great nonsense! Eratosthenes is a myth that has never been. People from their creation knew what form of the earth - from their gods. They even knew that we had three moons. Two of them recently fell to the ground. But this is silent. Inconvenient as. All information is cleared. But we still had three moons 2,000 years ago, 300 years ago there were two moons. And now only the Month is left ...

Are you sure that the earth is not such?