HAPPY HOAX ANNIVERSARY!!! (Rockets can't fly in a vacuum)

• 3179 Replies
Re: HAPPY HOAX ANNIVERSARY!!! (Rockets CAN fly in a vacuum)
« Reply #1920 on: November 17, 2019, 06:33:53 AM »

scepti is clearly using definitions that differ from "conventional" and have yet to be determined.

because - HOW WOULD THE GAS KNOW IT"S IN A FLEXIBLE BALLOON VS A RIGID IMPERMEABLE CONTAINER?!

completely bonkers.
The gas doesn't have to know what it's in.
The actual containers and external atmospheric pressure are the deciding factors.

Both different set ups and both have to be dealt with in exactly that way.

Rigid container holds compressed air and is stopped from expanding by that rigidity.

A balloon holds compressed air but it expands the skin against the external atmospheric pressure and compresses that by what's inside the balloon.

Right
The container skin properties decide how the container will form and behave.
The air just wants to go out in all (in all) directions
Even if there is a breach, the air is still trying to go in all directions, its just those near the exit find it easy, and leave.
So it is NOT a different set up, as far as the air is concerned.
It is a different set up.

And if that gauge was ripped out.
Would the air magically still qant to push out the original opening?
Would any air want to leak out the hole where the gauge used to be?

« Reply #1921 on: November 17, 2019, 06:37:45 AM »

scepti is clearly using definitions that differ from "conventional" and have yet to be determined.

because - HOW WOULD THE GAS KNOW IT"S IN A FLEXIBLE BALLOON VS A RIGID IMPERMEABLE CONTAINER?!

completely bonkers.
The gas doesn't have to know what it's in.
The actual containers and external atmospheric pressure are the deciding factors.

Both different set ups and both have to be dealt with in exactly that way.

Rigid container holds compressed air and is stopped from expanding by that rigidity.

A balloon holds compressed air but it expands the skin against the external atmospheric pressure and compresses that by what's inside the balloon.

Right
The container skin properties decide how the container will form and behave.
The air just wants to go out in all (in all) directions
Even if there is a breach, the air is still trying to go in all directions, its just those near the exit find it easy, and leave.
So it is NOT a different set up, as far as the air is concerned.
It is a different set up.

Ok lets focus popcan.
Because in reality the popcan has a far greater strebgth and one woukd cobsider it inflexible or rigid container...but its not.
The bottom and top can actually be blown out if the can is heated or frozen.
So how does the flexible popcan now differ from the flexible balloon?
At some point the skin strength matches the air pressure strength and the air ceases the ability to expand any further.
But
As far as the air is concerned - it dossnt matter because air is not self aware or sentient!

« Reply #1922 on: November 17, 2019, 06:38:49 AM »

Lets try this.

The ballloon is inside a popcan that is full sealed.
Blow up the balloon.
It fills to the size of the popcan.
Now what does the air think?
Its inside a balloon or its inside a popcan?
Oh dear... what to do.
It doesn't think anything.
It's air pushed into a pop can with added rubber skin.
It's just a sealed pressurised container.

Good
Then conceed that the container type is NOT a different set up.

« Reply #1923 on: November 17, 2019, 06:40:30 AM »

any number of value greater than zero, is a POSTIVE.
the DIRECTION of RATE of DECREASE may be dropping (calculus), but it is still a POSTIVE value.
Not against a gauge it's not.
It may be a positive value with gas on gas expansion but it has zero positive value against a gauge if the opposite end is open.

So using your logic, if I'm driving at 50mph and decelerate to any speed greater than 0, I'm no longer moving forward.
That analogy does not cover what I'm saying.
This is why you lot are struggling to understand.

It does
The speedometer shows a postive value (greater than zero).
The pressure gauge sjows a psotive value (grwater than zero).
Both a decreasing at a rate.
You failing at basic math is what we re struggling to understand

« Reply #1924 on: November 17, 2019, 06:42:39 AM »
You have the same mental difficiency by thinking a traveling car horizontally vs vertical matters much when considering linear motion.
Or that thinking air in a balloon vs a pop can when considering air pressure.
I think you have one when you can't make up your mind what the hell you're trying to argue.

No
The others would agree you cant keep your theory straight.
My theory is perfectly straight.
Your interpretation of it is skewed on a regular basis and it feels deliberate....but, that's your issue.

Quote from: Themightykabool
Last year pumps didnt exist and sponges grew and shrank, gobstopper style, within the container.
Pumps did exist. Not sure what you're getting at with this.
Maybe explain it and quote my post on it.
As for sponges, they are a basic analogy for clarity which you and others struggle with.
Gobstoppers are for molecular density to show layers but that goes way above your head when you struggle to deal with a sponge analogy.
By all means keep typing this stuff and I'll pick out what's relevant and leave what's not.

This time sponge people can exit off a bus which in theory means that vaccuums exist.
I never mentioned sponge people. You did.

The cause of the bus movement is related to the exit of the people.
Yep, the exit of people into direct resistance of external people pushing back by resistance.

Meaning vacuums exist and rockets propell using mass flow.
Low pressure exists and mass flow exists.

But you deny you used such an anology.
So strange.
I'm not denying anything I've said. Your attempts to twist stuff to suit your needs because you're frustrated at not understanding, is entirely your issue.

First you called air sponges.
Then you brought up poeple on a bus.
I just combined the two because they are in thebsame scenario.
Either one is right
One is wrong
Both are right
Both are wrong.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: HAPPY HOAX ANNIVERSARY!!! (Rockets can't fly in a vacuum)
« Reply #1925 on: November 17, 2019, 06:54:29 AM »
Scepti:
"I have no problem with an object pushing in one direction to move another. It's how and why it works which is the key."

Great
Then many little tiny sponges of air or water pushing out to the left propel the rocket right.
Rockers work in a vaccuum.

Yep, as long as they hit a resistance, which your so called space vacuum does not provide

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1926 on: November 17, 2019, 06:58:10 AM »
If the gauge was ripped out to leave an opening and let's assume the opening was equal to the opposite end valve opening then you have an expansion out of both ends, all the way back to the middle.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1927 on: November 17, 2019, 07:02:09 AM »
Ok lets focus popcan.
Because in reality the popcan has a far greater strebgth and one woukd cobsider it inflexible or rigid container...but its not.
The bottom and top can actually be blown out if the can is heated or frozen.
So how does the flexible popcan now differ from the flexible balloon?
At some point the skin strength matches the air pressure strength and the air ceases the ability to expand any further.
But
As far as the air is concerned - it dossnt matter because air is not self aware or sentient!
You are altering scenarios once again.
We can deal with all of these scenarios as and when required.
At this moment we need to deal with one happening, not a frozen can of pop or whether it's heated.

If we deal with one thing, do not attempt to marry it up with another because all you do is skew the entire explanation them whine on that I delete it or bypass it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1928 on: November 17, 2019, 07:03:08 AM »

Lets try this.

The ballloon is inside a popcan that is full sealed.
Blow up the balloon.
It fills to the size of the popcan.
Now what does the air think?
Its inside a balloon or its inside a popcan?
Oh dear... what to do.
It doesn't think anything.
It's air pushed into a pop can with added rubber skin.
It's just a sealed pressurised container.

Good
Then conceed that the container type is NOT a different set up.
You're certainly not helping yourself. If it's deliberate then fair enough.

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #1929 on: November 17, 2019, 07:03:41 AM »
If the gauge was ripped out to leave an opening and let's assume the opening was equal to the opposite end valve opening then you have an expansion out of both ends, all the way back to the middle.

How would the air know that a new opening existed?

How would the air expand in a separate direction if it is only expanding and pushing in one direction?

The only way I could see it is if the air was pushing against the gauge trying to expand. Then when the opening appeared, the air found no resistance and expanded in the direction of the new hole as well.  Like it should.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1930 on: November 17, 2019, 07:05:08 AM »

It does
The speedometer shows a postive value (greater than zero).
The pressure gauge sjows a psotive value (grwater than zero).
Both a decreasing at a rate.
You failing at basic math is what we re struggling to understand
Nothing to do with failing at maths and everything to do with understanding what's happening.
You can argue maths for as long as you want to. You can argue anything away from what's at hand for as long as you want to. All it does is waste your own time.

« Reply #1931 on: November 17, 2019, 07:16:16 AM »
Scepti quote:
"Nothing contradicts.
What does appear to be contradictory is your and others interpretation of the different scenarios you are placing before me and expect me to answer with the same theory when the scenarios are entirely different."

Well if your whole theory is ad hoc and bad analogiss then i guess it isnt a fool proof explanation because guess what - every scenario will be slightly different and since your universal fluid properties constatnly change a thebslightest of varibales, then its safe to say you are wrong.

« Reply #1932 on: November 17, 2019, 07:21:07 AM »

How would the air expand in a separate direction if it is only expanding and pushing in one direction?

The only way I could see it is if the air was pushing against the gauge trying to expand. Then when the opening appeared, the air found no resistance and expanded in the direction of the new hole as well.  Like it should.

Good point
Lets sponge people on a bus.
The front door opens and sponge people start bustling out.
But in all the pressure the emergency window breaks open.
Its a smaller hole but people still get pushed out because people inside are pushing in all directions to begin with.

« Reply #1933 on: November 17, 2019, 07:23:40 AM »
That analogy does not cover what I'm saying.
No, it still does.
You want to pretend that just because a value is dropping that it is magically not positive.
That is not how anything works.

I'm not saying it's not positive. I'm saying there's no positive pressure against the gauge.
The positive pressure is still there but it's happening at the opposite end against resistant atmosphere.

Deal with one thing at a time and you won't get sidetracked by adding in stuff you clearly don't  fully understand about my theory.

"Its not not posivite" (= positive).
Immediately follwed by "is not possitive".
No
There absolutely noooooo contradiction here.
Keep failing.

« Reply #1934 on: November 17, 2019, 07:25:55 AM »
Heres another fluid-pressure example.

Water is a fluid.
Water inside a giant football jug with a spout pouring into a cup.
Are you saying because the spout is open, water is flow, that there would be no pressure on the bottom of the jug?
Remeber us duped people believe weight = pressure over an area.
Youre saying that magically there isbzero pressure resultong in zero weight of the jug?
You'll need to be clearer on what you're saying here. A football jug? A spout pouring into cup? Spout is open? Water is flow? No pressure at bottom of jug?

Can you actually put a proper scenario to me because I can't make head nor tail of what you're saying here.

Thats exaclty what the scenario is.
You described it and repeated it back meaning you understand it.
You are just rwfusing to acknowledfr and play dumb.
But thats ok.

Small corrdction.
I should jave said force, not weight.
But whatevr

JackBlack

« Reply #1935 on: November 17, 2019, 12:18:25 PM »
The only question I avoid or delete from your quotes are those that you repeatedly ask after being given an answer to, time and time again.
No, they are the questions that you have repeatedly avoided time and time again.
You are yet to provide an actual answer.
You either ignore it entirely or provide a non-answer which doesn't address the issue.

All it does it wastes your time and my time in order for me to delete the bits that I feel are worthless.
Perhaps you should stop considering things which show you to be wrong as worthless and instead try and respond to them?

It can't move out of the way. It's behind all the other gas molecules
The only way for those gas molecules to stop it is to provide a force back to it.

All objects can push against themselves to move
So rockets can push against themselves and thus rockets work in a vacuum. End of thread.

Before you complain about pressure, the gas is in the same condition. Either there is pressure and thus both can move or there is not and neither can move.

So like I said, you need to either accept that rockets do work in a vacuum, or provide a reason for why the gas can move but not the rocket.

You need to get on even ground here
No, I don't.
You are the one who is repeatedly contradicting yourself and trying to skew what you say and reality to try and prop up your fantasy.
I am pointing out what is wrong with it by using your own arguments against you.
That is not skewing anything.
I'm not changing the scenario either.
I am dealing with the same issue, the fact that gas exerts pressure in all directions.

I have no problem with an object pushing in one direction to move another. It's how and why it works which is the key.
But that isn't what was asked of you.
It was the object itself pushing in one direction and moving in one direction.
Or are you going to claim forces can magically arise from nothing and not have a reactionary force?

And if you really did accept that, you would rockets working in a vacuum.
The gas inside the rocket pushes it in one direction to move the rocket.

Or if you like, the rocket is just expanding and decompressing, moving it forwards.

Yep, as long as they hit a resistance, which your so called space vacuum does not provide
So you are back to the same problem.
What is your gas using as resistance?

Again, the gas and the rocket are in the same boat. Either both can move or neither can.
Any excuse you make for the gas to be able to move will work equally well for the rocket (or has an equivalent which does).
Any objection you raise for the rocket works equally well for the gas (or has an equivalent which does).

Either both can move and thus rockets work in a vacuum or neither can move and thus gas can remain trapped in an open container exposed to the vacuum of space.

Why?
The gas in your fantasy is already moving towards one end, just "expanding" towards it, with no desire to go in any other direction. Why would it then magically turn around?

Again, this only makes sense if you accept that the gas is pushing outwards in all directions.

If we deal with one thing, do not attempt to marry it up with another because all you do is skew the entire explanation them whine on that I delete it or bypass it.
No, we expose the contradictions.
If you need a different explanation for each scenario your model is garbage.
A single explanation should be capable of dealing with a rocket in a vacuum, the gauge on the tank, a balloon, a water rocket and so on.
They are based upon the same principles of how gas behaves.

So again, either answer the questions or admit that rockets work in a vacuum.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1936 on: November 17, 2019, 02:57:46 PM »
It doesn't. The air is compressed into the container. Forget about air knowing this and that.
It's compression of air to be more compressed than what it was before, or to be a bit simpler, normal atmospheric sea level pressure in this instance.
So now it gets compressed by applied energy into a container.
Because it's compressed more molecules can be added because they become smaller by compression into each other and stay like that if the container valve is shut.

Quote from: NotSoSkeptical
Because a new opening exists which means the gas expands out of that new opening as the chain reaction now stems from each end and back to the centre.

I understand what you're trying to say but it's not what happens by my theory.
You see it's only pushing against the gauge trying to expand when it's contained, meaning no openings, or when pressure is added.
When one end is opened up it's a case of, about turn and follow the leader out of the opening.
You have a complete line of expansion from the largest at the front opening to lesser and lesser expansion all the way to the back.
You know the expansion is flowing directly to the front and not to the back by the drop in the gauge needle.

If you smashed that gauge off and created an opening, you create an about turn once again, because you allow the lesser expanding molecules to immediately expand much more out of that opening.
This causes both expansions to end at the middle instead of one opening, because there are now two opposite openings.

« Reply #1937 on: November 17, 2019, 09:06:05 PM »
It doesn't. The air is compressed into the container. Forget about air knowing this and that.
It's compression of air to be more compressed than what it was before, or to be a bit simpler, normal atmospheric sea level pressure in this instance.
Because it's compressed more molecules can be added because they become smaller by compression into each other and stay like that if the container valve is shut.

Because a new opening exists which means the gas expands out of that new opening as the chain reaction now stems from each end and back to the centre.

You see it's only pushing against the gauge trying to expand when it's contained, meaning no openings, or when pressure is added.
When one end is opened up it's a case of, about turn and follow the leader out of the opening.
You have a complete line of expansion from the largest at the front opening to lesser and lesser expansion all the way to the back.
You know the expansion is flowing directly to the front and not to the back by the drop in the gauge needle.

If you smashed that gauge off and created an opening, you create an about turn once again, because you allow the lesser expanding molecules to immediately expand much more out of that opening.
This causes both expansions to end at the middle instead of one opening, because there are now two opposite openings.

then when comparing note 1 against note 3, your gas IS sentient or your theory IS wrong?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #1938 on: November 17, 2019, 09:16:32 PM »
Sentient for sure.

Because you can't have a pressure gauge showing any sort of pressure above 0 unless there is pressure. So there must be some other magic going on.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1939 on: November 17, 2019, 09:51:24 PM »

then when comparing note 1 against note 3, your gas IS sentient or your theory IS wrong?
Or you just don't get it, which is the reality I'm afraid.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1940 on: November 17, 2019, 10:01:09 PM »
Sentient for sure.

Because you can't have a pressure gauge showing any sort of pressure above 0 unless there is pressure. So there must be some other magic going on.
You're another one who doesn't get it.
There's nothing sentient about it, but maybe this is your and others ways of playing the wind up game. If so then fair enough.
The only sentient thing about how the gas is compressed into the container is the person doing it. The gas molecules naturally decompress when allowed to by applying less pressure to them or by opening a valve or a breach at any point in any container holding a pressure, etc.

If the gauge shows a continuous lowering of pressure it means it has negative pressure upon it and it simply follows the flow/decompression out towards the open valve until its piston is fully extended or the needle reads zero, unless the valve is closed at any point before the gauge has the opportunity to reach zero.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #1941 on: November 17, 2019, 10:05:48 PM »
Sentient for sure.

There's nothing sentient about it, but maybe this is your and others ways of playing the wind up game. If so then fair enough.
The only sentient thing about how the gas is compressed into the container is the person doing it. The gas molecules naturally decompress when allowed to by applying less pressure to them or by opening a valve or a breach at any point in any container holding a pressure, etc.

If the gauge shows a continuous lowering of pressure it means it has negative pressure upon it and it simply follows the flow/decompression out towards the open valve until its piston is fully extended or the needle reads zero, unless the valve is closed at any point before the gauge has the opportunity to reach zero.

So I guess now we should inform all the folks who design, build, and/or use pressure gauges that their gauges are wrong; even though the gauge is going down at various rates seemingly based upon the throttling of gas exiting, that they are not really reading pressure because somehow no pressure is being applied to the gauge.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #1942 on: November 17, 2019, 10:31:11 PM »

What does all that mean?

It would be far simpler to say:
"If the gauge shows a continuous lowering of pressure it means" that the pressure is continuously lowering.

Simple.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1943 on: November 17, 2019, 10:33:55 PM »

So I guess now we should inform all the folks who design, build, and/or use pressure gauges that their gauges are wrong; even though the gauge is going down at various rates seemingly based upon the throttling of gas exiting, that they are not really reading pressure because somehow no pressure is being applied to the gauge.
Their gauges aren't wrong. Their gauges show then exactly what they expect.
The only difference for them is in how it's happening by what they're told.
It does not change the way things work in reality, it just means the explanations for why it works are not wholly accurate.

You see, my theory still allows everything to work as they do. The only thing it kills off is stuff like rockets working in so called space vacuums or extreme low pressure environments.

The reason for that is obvious if you understand my theory.

« Reply #1944 on: November 17, 2019, 10:36:52 PM »
Sentient for sure.

incorrect
what part of this do you fail to understand?
A negative RATE is NOT the same as a negative VALUE

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1945 on: November 17, 2019, 10:37:04 PM »

What does all that mean?

It would be far simpler to say:
"If the gauge shows a continuous lowering of pressure it means" that the pressure is continuously lowering.

Simple.
That's what's happening but it's happening because the gas is now resisting the piston rather than pushing the piston on that gauge.
Key points.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1946 on: November 17, 2019, 10:38:12 PM »
Sentient for sure.

incorrect
How about you explain where I've got this wrong instead of just saying it.

« Reply #1947 on: November 17, 2019, 10:39:14 PM »
Sentient for sure.

incorrect
How about you explain where I've got this wrong instead of just saying it.

i did.
i did explain it.
others have explained it.
i highlighted it.
what part of english do you not understand?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1948 on: November 17, 2019, 10:44:04 PM »

i did.
i did explain it.
others have explained it.
i highlighted it.
what part of english do you not understand?
Stop the bickering and explain it so I can deal with it, or is this part of your game?

« Reply #1949 on: November 17, 2019, 10:45:37 PM »
please define your understanding of RATE vs VALUE
then we can move on.
because i clearly stated, in a single sentence, against your incorrect statement, which i highlighted.