HAPPY HOAX ANNIVERSARY!!! (Rockets can't fly in a vacuum)

• 3179 Replies

Macarios

Re: HAPPY HOAX ANNIVERSARY!!! (Rockets can't fly in a vacuum)
« Reply #1140 on: September 08, 2019, 07:00:59 PM »
One simple question, just to simplify things:

And one more question:

Why is in the bigger picture the horizon on the water much closer than the Toronto skyline?
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #1141 on: September 08, 2019, 07:12:45 PM »

And one more question:

Why is in the bigger picture the horizon on the water much closer than the Toronto skyline?

Rab have you saved this picture for use in spamming later on? I'm sure its not the last time I will see this

Oh and the angle of the shoot can change the angle of what we can see

Why do you think people like taking a picture with the camera above pointing slightly down as opposed to the camera being low and pointing up? It avoids being able to see double/triple chins etc

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #1142 on: September 08, 2019, 07:42:31 PM »

And one more question:

Rab have you saved this picture for use in spamming later on ?
No, why ask me? It's not my picture!

But "spamming" is sandokhan's and cikljamas's forté.
I might use some of the same content but to different people though usually just a quote of part of a post.

Unlike you, I don't shift my opinions all the time like a leaf blown in the breeze. I might change when I learn something new.

Quote from: Shifter
I'm sure its not the last time I will see this
Ask Macarios not me.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #1143 on: September 08, 2019, 07:48:42 PM »
Unlike you, I don't shift my opinions all the time like a leaf blown in the breeze. I might change when I learn something new.

As opposed to science which constantly changes its 'facts'?

I dont have many opinions when it comes to the field of science and our universe. I do know many absolute truths. Also I will defend people their right to expression on a site devoted to their beliefs. The mods certainly wont come to the party

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #1144 on: September 08, 2019, 08:46:21 PM »

As opposed to science which constantly changes its 'facts'?
"Facts" don't change.
Deductions from those facts might change and theories can and do change as technology advances enabling more "facts" to be leanred.

I dont have many opinions when it comes to the field of science and our universe.

I do know many absolute truths.
Really? "Science" doesn't deal in "absolutes TRUTHS" though many things are regarded as "proven beyond a reasonable doubt".

Also I will defend people their right to expression on a site devoted to their beliefs.

I and others also have the right to debate those beliefs when the people present them as posts in the General or Debate forums - that is why they do it.

Some, and I won't name names, simply ask questions and I will do my best to give them a Globe or flat earth answer as appropriate.

And it gets a bit beyond that pail when that "expression' lead them to accuse people like this:
Quote from: a non-flat earth member here
It seems as if the only thing on NASA paid shill's mind is crack cocaine. If somebody offers NASA shill any of it, he'll jump at it and take it. It's like offering a starving man a loaf of bread...
NASA shills are prepared to do anything (twisting logic, raping common sense, talking all kinds of senseless rubbish... ENDLESSLY) so to get their next fix of coke.
NASA shills are a desperate losers, and a drug addicts, only is hard to tell what exact drug are they on...
Having in mind the degree and the extent of their despair, it must be some special drug....

This is not from anyone here but from a "rabid" flat earther, The Greatest Lie on Earth Proof That Our World Is Not a Moving Globe Edward Hendrie. Try reading that!

And all flat-earthers explicitly or implicitly accuse a great many of lying to the "general populace" to "hide the true shape of the earth".

"Right to expression" is to be defended until it impinges too much on the rights of others or worse falsely accuses others of the most horrendous crimes.

Though very few on this site go as far as "non-flat earth member here" above or a couple of others.

The mods certainly wont come to the party
That's not my problem.

But the real "Problem Flat Earthers" are many of those on YouTube - try mixing it with them sometimes, I do till it sickens me too much.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #1145 on: September 09, 2019, 01:24:06 AM »
It boils down to this : Should we expect people and elephants to fall off (the face of) the earth easier than a butterflies or a flies? And if yes why?
Now you try to deceived everybody and ridicule Dr Neil deGrasse Tyson, whose a 100 times the man you'll ever be!
1. Have you ever seen this, Rabinoz :
No, but I've seen this and that tells me what sort of a person YOU are!

You have had you deception pointed out a number of times and are not man enough to own up to it! How about either coming clean or running away?

"Photoshopped" image used by arch-deceiver: cikljamas.

Genuine NASA image!

And this:

Fake "Dr. Neil DeGrass Tyson" used by arch-deceiver cikljamas.

The real Neil deGrasse Tyson when young

Does the real young Dr. Neil DeGrass Tyson look anything like the slob, "Dr. Neil DeGrass Tyson", that you used in your fake video?
What did you have to pay him to humiliate himself like that and read your silly script?

Read the rest in: HAPPY HOAX ANNIVERSARY!!! (Rockets can't fly in a vacuum) « Reply #1129 on: September 08, 2019, 10:00:43 PM ».

Rab, only a seriously mental ill person would think someone is trying to pass that video as real. Where is your common sense?
Are you also attracted to young Neil DeGrasse Tyson?

You even argued at a gif I posted as if I tryied to pass it off as real.

You need to get some real mental help for a fatal case of the CURVIES.

And another showing Plat Terra's pitiful ignorance:
Some members of the Globe Community are still trying to adjust to Earths movement through space.

Incorrect!
It's simply that ignorant folk like you that fail to understand that the "Earth's movement through space" causes nothing you can even measure!
Even the sedate Earth's rotation at about 0.00069 RPM is hard enough to measure with very sensitive instruments!

For the simple reason that there is nothing to adjust to! You feel only acceleration and especially changes in acceleration!

The acceleration due to the earth's rotation is only about 0.3% of gravity and simply changes the effective g very slightly - so no one feels it!

The acceleration due to the earth's orbiting the sun is far less at about 0.006 m/s2 but that is almost exactly constant anyway so there is nothing to be felt.

Mr Plat Terra, you seem such an expert in demonstrating the numerous way that flat earthers fail to understand such simple concepts - keep it up!

So, we are not talking about "wrong drug dealer" issue, here (after all), it seems that something (much more prosaic, nonetheless, still -potentially- pretty ecstatic) else is at stake here...

I wonder, is our Rab basically more urban or rural (and how long has he been that way...)...Let's see :

Hopefully, Rabinoz ain't gonna claim she isn't his wife, actually...

Fake "Dr. Neil DeGrass Tyson" used by arch-deceiver cikljamas.

The real Neil deGrasse Tyson when young

Does the real young Dr. Neil DeGrass Tyson look anything like the slob, "Dr. Neil DeGrass Tyson", that you used in your fake video?
It's a perfect match i would say...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:34:39 AM by cikljamas »
"I can't breathe" George Floyd RIP

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #1146 on: September 09, 2019, 02:23:41 AM »
It's a perfect match i would say...
If you need to use "PhotoShopped" images, fake lying videos, outright lies and ad hominen attacks I'd say that you've already admitted that you've lost the case!

And this about the lowest ad hominen attacks I have seen. Though I've seen worse from Jeranism!

It seems as if the only thing on NASA paid shill's mind is crack cocaine. If somebody offers NASA shill any of it, he'll jump at it and take it. It's like offering a starving man a loaf of bread...
NASA shills are prepared to do anything (twisting logic, raping common sense, talking all kinds of senseless rubbish... ENDLESSLY) so to get their next fix of coke.
NASA shills are a desperate losers, and a drug addicts, only is hard to tell what exact drug are they on...
Having in mind the degree and the extent of their despair, it must be some special drug....

Why aren't NASAphobes like you able to debate rationally instead of stooping to the lowest form of debating?

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #1147 on: September 09, 2019, 03:56:32 AM »
Shall we see how it started???
This is my post with which i somehow managed to offend you :

Can you explain how trillions of billions of water stay glued next to the outer surface of a sphere?

What would pull those "trillions of billions of water" anywhere else against the Earth's gravity?
Where to?

It boils down to this : Should we expect people and elephants to fall off (the face of) the earth easier than a butterflies or a flies? And if yes why? This guy nailed it down :

These guys nailed it down, also :

And now, something completely different :
THIS IS ALL YOU WILL EVER NEED TO BE SURE THAT THE EARTH IS SPHERICALLY SHAPED :
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=82434.msg2200711#msg2200711
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=82434.msg2200805#msg2200805
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=82434.msg2201616#msg2201616
If you carefully studied my argumentation provided on the pages to which you will be directed by clicking the links above, you would easily figure out why Rabinoz is right claiming :

"The left photo show a considerable hidden height but your flat earth should hide nothing, zilch."

Now, care to answer these three simple questions :

1. Who have been ridiculed in three videos above???
A) Flat-earthers
B) Round-earthers

2. Rabinoz is
A) Flat-earther
B) Round-earther

3. Can you rationally refute/dispute logical consistency/validity (and benevolence) of what has been tried to convey to you with the following sentence :
Rab, only a seriously mental ill person would think someone is trying to pass that video as real. Where is your common sense?

4. Are we talking here about "wrong drug dealer" problem or something else, much more prosaic (nonetheless, still -potentially- pretty ecstatic) is the real issue here???
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 04:23:46 AM by cikljamas »

JackBlack

« Reply #1148 on: September 09, 2019, 04:31:38 AM »
This thread?
It started with your lie that rockets can't work in a vacuum.
That topic seems to have died after my question which you still haven't answered.

Again: HOW IS THE GAS ACCELERATED?
Apply Newton's laws of motion to the gas, initially in the rocket at rest relative to the rocket.

Don't just start with magically accelerated gas. Tell us how the gas is accelerated; or claim that it will magically stay inside the rocket.

Don't bother with any other garbage, just answer the question.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #1149 on: September 09, 2019, 05:06:13 AM »
Again: HOW IS THE GAS ACCELERATED?
Apply Newton's laws of motion to the gas, initially in the rocket at rest relative to the rocket.
Initially in the rocket at rest relative to the rocket?
Is that the same moment when the rocket is still at rest relative to the earth, also?

I answered all your questions, and if you think i didn't, then why don't you enlighten us (finally), instead of endlessly regurgitating your same stupid questions?

Once again, just for you :

Thrust=force=mass*acceleration.
Thrust = (mass flow rate) × (exhaust velocity)

NASA SAYS  :

"The physics involved in the generation of thrust is introduced in middle school and studied in some detail in high school and college. To accelerate the gas, we have to expend energy. The energy is generated as heat by the combustion of some fuel."

According to Jack, generated energy (as heat by the combustion) is the force which produces another force (thrust) which is (mass (flow (rate) * (exhaust velocity).

The first force (combustion-expansion-chemical reaction) forces one part of the second force (mass flow rate) to accelerate (which is another part of the second force).

So, we have the first force (chemical reaction) and the second force (thrust).
Now, according to Jack's logic, the second force is not the whole force, but only one part of the second force (mass (flow rate)).

In order to get the entire force (thrust) we need the first force (chemical reaction) which is going to accelerate one part of the first force (mass).

Now, according to Jack, the first force (chemical reaction) is actual-real force, and thrust is only one part of what it really is (mass (flow rate)).

This is how Jack invented something (first force) that can artificially separate thrust (which is actually just one part (mass (flow rate)) of what it really is : (mass flow rate) × (exhaust velocity)) from a rocket.

So, the first body is a rocket, second body is a thrust (which is actually just one part (mass (flow rate)) of what it really is : (mass flow rate) × (exhaust velocity), and the force is actually the first force (chemical reaction) which accelerates second body (thrust) so that we can finally get thrust in it's integrality.

This is an interesting theory (which eventually boils down to nothing more than meaningless wordplay), but it is plainly wrong, that is to say : just one among many classical examples of notorious Jack's stupidities.

Newton's Third Law - Identifying Action and Reaction Force Pairs

A force is a push or a pull that acts upon an object as a results of its interaction with another object. Forces result from interactions!

"When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body."

Jack still hasn't watched this video :

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ga9h2

No, the “second body” isn't the gases...in a rocket launch...the rocket (engine) is the “first body” applying force (expelled gases= thrust= mass flow rate* exhaust velocity) to a second body (ground, then atmosphere).. which “pushes back” with equal and opposite force.. on the first body (rocket) forcing it to go up..

What happens in a REAL and INFINITE vacuum, where there is no “second body” to act upon???

THE ROCKET (ENGINE) = FIRST BODY
THRUST FORCE = EXPELLED GASSES
GROUND/ATMOSPHERE = SECOND BODY

The gas cannot push the ship with the nozzle closed because gas trapped in the combustion chamber does no work but if you open the nozzle all the gas exits immediately before it can push against the ship. Therefore you cannot use gas in the vacuum to power a rocket ship.
This force pushing a rocket cannot be pushing on the inside of the rocket any more than you can push with your feet upwards against the inside of a cardboard box you are within to stop it from falling from a height. It sounds absurd but that is what NASA claims happens in a rocket.

An object sitting on the ground can only move upwards if it is pushed from underneath or lifted from the side/top. Since we know rockets are not lifted , they must be pushed. Therefore the gasses underneath the rocket must be pushing it up and off the launchpad.

An object moving straight up into the air will eventually be pulled back down by gravity unless it is continuously pushed from underneath or pulled from the top/side by a force greater than gravity.

The Expansion produces THRUST FORCE!

What law disables rockets (via expansion) from doing any useful work in a vacuum?

Free expansion!

What makes "the difference" between the Expansion and Free expansion?

Density of air/vacuum!

Why?

Resistance!

What it means?

It means that there is resistance in the air because the air is dense, hence : the air is the second body!
On the other hand, there is no resistance in a vacuum, hence : the second body is missing!

3. Jack, have you ever seen this :

BULLSHIT VS COMMON SENSE

BULLSHIT :

An airplane propeller DOES push against the air and in so doing it DOES impart a reactive force to the plane because the prop is a solid object CONNECTED to the plane.

Rocket exhaust isn’t connected to the rocket so it can’t function as a pushing medium to the rocket as a propeller does.

Rockets move by creating an imbalance of forces within the rocket motor causing more internal pressure in the forward direction and very little internal pressure rearward due to the opening of the rocket nozzle. There is also a secondary forward thrust caused by Newton’s 3rd law as regards the rearward ejection of mass.

That is how rocket thrust works. The continued expansion of gasses caused by burning high energy fuel builds up pressure but the pressure is always lower at the rear of the rocket motor due to the open nozzle. The higher pressure in the forward part of the motor maintains an imbalance of forces so the rocket continues to move as long as fuel is burned.

In addition to the above force there is also some thrust caused by rearward ejection of mass (the exhaust) in accordance with Newton’s 3rd Law.

BULLSHIT VS COMMON SENSE

COMMON SENSE :

I fear we are now arguing semantics instead of physics.

To save time, I will tell you how I interpret Newtons 3 Laws of Motion. If you disagree then there is no longer a reason to continue this thread as we differ on basic laws of physics which won’t be resolved here. If you agree with me, then there is much to discuss.

Let’s start with Newtons 3 Laws of Motion.

Fist Law: For an object to remain as it is, either moving or not, the sum of the forces on it are zero.
Sigma F = 0

Second Law: For a body to accelerate, there must be a force on it.
F = ma

Third Law: For every force in one direction, there is an equal force in the opposite direction.
F1 = – F2 or F1 + F2 = 0

Notice how all of Newtons Laws of Motion contain the term ‘force’. Newton used the term ‘force’ to explain how objects are pushed and pulled in our universe.

This is how I see Newtons 3rd Law applied to rockets flying through our atmosphere:

If a rocket is moving through the air at 17,000 mph in a southwesterly direction, then there must be a force in the northeasterly direction also going 17,000 mph, which is the force produced by the jet engine exhaust coming out of the back of the rocket.

The way you are explaining it, is that molecules hitting inside a chamber are moving the rocket forward, AND the rocket is moving forward. You did mention the perhaps the exhaust might move it forward also somewhat, but Newtons 3rd Law says the forward motion MUST be equal to the thrust only out the back because of the ‘opposite’ direction part of the law.

You can’t have two positive forces. F1 + F2 would then be greater than zero, and that defies Newtons 3rd Law. My point is the exhaust out the back is not the minor part, it is the major part of the force. Newtons 3rd law says it has to be.

4. Jack, have you ever seen this :

So you go and find the "As we shall see latter(sic), maximum thrust occurs when Pe=Pa" and find out what it means.
[/quote]

Let's try once again :

1. When a rocket's combustion chamber is filled with accelerated gas opening the nozzle to expel the gasses into the vacuum of space does not generate a force against the ship. This is due to the principle of free expansion.

2. No amount of combustion or pressure inside the space ship can move the ship until that combustive force or pressure is exchanged with some object, entity, or field outside of the ship (a space ship is a closed system).

3. Based on 1 and 2 there is no way to move the ship by releasing gas and no way to move the ship by keeping the gas inside. A space ship cannot generate force with a gas based propulsion system. Space rockets are the stuff of fantasies not science or physics.

4. Any liquid exposed to a vacuum is immediately converted to gas and any gas is immediately spread out into the void. So any combustion would have to take place in a sealed container and hence not in a vacuum in the strict sense.

5. Contrary to known rocket's trajectories, they need to end up going seven miles per second away from the center of gravity (center of gravity = center of the earth)! (see reply #270)

Regarding the possibility of opening one side of a container, exposing it to the vacuum, while combusting gasses inside the container. In this case we have to consider that combustion can't occur anywhere near the opening because any liquids in that area are being instantly converted to gas by the vacuum and spread out into the void via free expansion. When combustion occurs at the far side of the container the force is going to push the remaining liquid out before it can be combusted. This seems like a terribly inefficient use of fuel as the combustion itself is forcing unspent fuel into space.

Another problem is that gas enters a vacuum at an average speed of about 2,000 meters a second. A 25 meter long Saturn 5 stage 2 fuel tank with over 1,000,000 liters of fuel would have it's contents drained in about 1/100 of a second if exposed to the vacuum of space.

Well, consider this: no honest scientists will deny that, when opening a valve between two containers (one containing air at high pressure - and the other only vacuum) the pressures in the two containers will equalize in a fraction of a second, the vacuum container 'sucking' the air to itself with tremendous, almost explosive force.

Imagine now the high pressure emitted by any rocket from its (always open) nozzle. As it enters the vacuum of outer space, the very same - almost explosively rapid - pressure equalization is bound to occur. The rocket will be emptied of all of its pressurized fuel in a flash - by the overwhelmingly superior power of the vacuum itself. No matter how powerful the rocket (propelled by any fuel known to man / and designed to perform in our 0,001 atmosphere) - the very laws of physics will not allow it to ascend any further into the void of space. It will haplessly tumble back to Earth.

In Summary
1. Without free expansion the rocket exhaust will push against space. And off we go!

2. Objects don't accelerate unless they exchange energy with some other object/field. There are no objects or fields in space (I regard them to be so small/weak as to be virtually non-existent).

READ MORE : https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=82434.msg2201342#msg2201342

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #1150 on: September 09, 2019, 05:20:22 AM »
This is my post with which i somehow managed to offend you :

You don't know? Try this for size! You dare present yourself as so lily-white in this while claiming that Jack Black and I "haven't got a clue what the word 'honesty' means":
Quote from: cikljamas
I have demonstrated my honesty by admitting (every single time) that i was wrong whenever i noticed a mistake that i had made. However, this simple concept (of admitting your obvious mistakes) is totally strange and incomprehensible to you and to Jack Black. Whenever it comes to my mind to tell you "shame on you", the next thought comes to my mind in a nanosecond : They have no idea what the word "shame" designates, and they have no idea what "a shame" is, because they haven't got a clue what the word "honesty" means.

You claim that you are so honest yet:
  • Post total lies the above video produced by YOU!

• Use the "PhotoShopped" photos below in a silly attempt to ridicule NASA:

Of course the light comes from different directions! That is not a genuine NASA photo.
    Now, Mr Cikljamas, either YOU show me the original of the photo in the official NASA archives of admit to your deception.
    And no tricks, because I know exactly where it and its components came from. So please stick to the truth or run away.

And

And another obviously Photoshopped image in that same video!
    At 0:43 in your "EIFFEL TOWER PROOF odiupicku" you show this in the lower right corner:

Photoshopped "Earth from Moon", by odiupicku

Your daring to claim "I have demonstrated my honesty by admitting (every single time) that i was wrong whenever i noticed a mistake that i had made." is the joke of the week!

I have yet to see any apology or even a comment on your obvious deception.

• And you add to it by posting this!

Are you totally devoid of any shame for lying and using deceit in your videos?

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #1151 on: September 09, 2019, 05:31:00 AM »
No, the “second body” isn't the gases...in a rocket launch...the rocket (engine) is the “first body” applying force (expelled gases= thrust= mass flow rate* exhaust velocity) to a second body (ground, then atmosphere).. which “pushes back” with equal and opposite force.. on the first body (rocket) forcing it to go up..

This explanation not what you find in any science site about rockets. It seems that rocket engineers are designing rocket engines to work in a completely different way to your claim.

According to your understanding how does the atmosphere "push back" on a molecular level? The gas molecule leaves the rocket engine, hits an air molecule which pushes it back to the rocket? Could you explain the molecules interact to make the rocket move?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:07:05 AM by kopfverderber »
You must gather your party before venturing forth

Yes

« Reply #1152 on: September 09, 2019, 05:59:41 AM »
The first force (combustion-expansion-chemical reaction) forces one part of the second force (mass flow rate) to accelerate (which is another part of the second force).

Mass flow rate is not force. 

Think about the units.  Mass flow rate is kg/s.  Force is kg*m/s2.

Chemical reaction is not force.

But it causes force!  The expanded gas applies force in all directions of the rocket nozzle.  Equivalently, in case you're imagining the gas as "force carriers", the gas transfers force in all directions.  It's the same thing, it just depends on how much detail you want to include in the diagram.  The force on the sides of the nozzle balance out (as long as the bell doesn't rupture).  What happens to the gas in the direction of the back of the rocket?  It flies out the rocket, as there is nothing there to stop it.  What happens to the gas in the direction of the front of the rocket?  It pushes the rocket forward.  Why?  Because the equal and opposite force at the the rear of the rocket is not applied (or transferred) to the rocket.  The gas is instead escaping.  The force applied towards the rear is not against anything structurally attached, as the sides are.  That imbalance of force within the rocket bell results in the acceleration of the entire rocket.

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

JackBlack

« Reply #1153 on: September 09, 2019, 06:12:42 AM »
Initially in the rocket at rest relative to the rocket?
Yes, initially in the rocket, at rest relative to the rocket. This is not a difficult concept to grasp.
The fuel initially moves with the rocket, i.e. is at rest relative to the rocket. You need to explain how it accelerates.

Is that the same moment when the rocket is still at rest relative to the earth, also?
That is entirely irrelevant.

I answered all your questions, and if you think i didn't, then why don't you enlighten us (finally), instead of endlessly regurgitating your same stupid questions?
No you haven't, and the question isn't stupid at all. If it was, you would have answered it by now rather than continually deflecting.
You have repeatedly avoided this question, likely because you know it shows you are completely wrong and that rockets MUST work in a vacuum.
If you think you have answered it, feel free to provide exactly where. As a reminder, this needs to show what is happening in a vacuum, identifying a second body and explaining how the gas accelerates, not dealing with rockets in air, nor starting with the gas already accelerated.

I have also provided the answer before.
The gas interacts with the rocket, with this collision between the energetic gas particles and the rocket forcing the gas to accelerate backwards, out the rocket, while the rocket is forced to accelerate forwards.

If you want to go an even deeper level down, the energetic reaction heats up the gas and pushes it away from each other, causing it to expand in all directions. Some of this will go straight out of the rocket, but some will hit the rocket and be forced backwards. You might think this will produce less thrust, as less gas is being forced backwards by the rocket, but it doesn't as the gas that is being forced backwards by the rocket was already forced forwards by the rest of the gas and thus needs a larger force to move it backwards.

The answer shows that rockets do work in a vacuum, something you refuse to admit.

So if you want to accept that rockets work in a vacuum, go ahead and accept my answer and admit they do. Otherwise provide an answer to the question.

Once again, just for you :
Repeating the same BS spam will not help you.
Try to actually read what I have said and respond to that, not what you want me to have said.
Don't bother with more pathetic distractions to avoid this very simple, intelligent question.
Either answer the question and explain just how the gas accelerates, taking Newton's laws into consideration, or admit that rockets work in a vacuum.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #1154 on: September 09, 2019, 06:47:30 AM »
I have also provided the answer before.
The gas interacts with the rocket, with this collision between the energetic gas particles and the rocket forcing the gas to accelerate backwards, out the rocket, while the rocket is forced to accelerate forwards.

If you want to go an even deeper level down, the energetic reaction heats up the gas and pushes it away from each other, causing it to expand in all directions. Some of this will go straight out of the rocket, but some will hit the rocket and be forced backwards. You might think this will produce less thrust, as less gas is being forced backwards by the rocket, but it doesn't as the gas that is being forced backwards by the rocket was already forced forwards by the rest of the gas and thus needs a larger force to move it backwards.

Total and utter bullshit!

The gas cannot push the ship with the nozzle closed because gas trapped in the combustion chamber does no work but if you open the nozzle all the gas exits immediately before it can push against the ship. Therefore you cannot use gas in the vacuum to power a rocket ship.
This force pushing a rocket cannot be pushing on the inside of the rocket any more than you can push with your feet upwards against the inside of a cardboard box you are within to stop it from falling from a height. It sounds absurd but that is what NASA claims happens in a rocket.

An object sitting on the ground can only move upwards if it is pushed from underneath or lifted from the side/top. Since we know rockets are not lifted , they must be pushed. Therefore the gasses underneath the rocket must be pushing it up and off the launchpad.

An object moving straight up into the air will eventually be pulled back down by gravity unless it is continuously pushed from underneath or pulled from the top/side by a force greater than gravity.

But it causes force!  The expanded gas applies force in all directions of the rocket nozzle.  Equivalently, in case you're imagining the gas as "force carriers", the gas transfers force in all directions.  It's the same thing, it just depends on how much detail you want to include in the diagram.  The force on the sides of the nozzle balance out (as long as the bell doesn't rupture).  What happens to the gas in the direction of the back of the rocket?  It flies out the rocket, as there is nothing there to stop it.  What happens to the gas in the direction of the front of the rocket?  It pushes the rocket forward.  Why?  Because the equal and opposite force at the the rear of the rocket is not applied (or transferred) to the rocket.  The gas is instead escaping.  The force applied towards the rear is not against anything structurally attached, as the sides are.  That imbalance of force within the rocket bell results in the acceleration of the entire rocket.

I have yet to see any apology or even a comment on your obvious deception.
What deception? Moon landing deception? HC theory deception? Global warming deception? 9/11 deception? Evolution theory deception? "Rocket can work in a vacuum of space" deception? Flat earth psyop deception? Big Bang deception? Relativity theory deception? Name it...

Admitting your own mistakes is a total mystery to you. If you think i am accusing you wrongly, then show us one single example of your admission of one single mistake ever made by you. Only stupid people never change their minds. Let me show you one new example of admitting my own mistakes :

Alpha2Omega words in blue...
Cikljamas words in purple...

Alpha, thanks for a nicely depicted scenario which we are going to use in order to conduct further analysis regarding the expected results of testing (in reality) our "vertically fired projectiles" thought experiment :

So, a ship is steaming west (counter direction of earth's alleged rotation) at 10 meters per second (36 km/h).

Now, we have to see what should we expect to happen in two different scenarios :

1. THE EARTH IS STATIONARY scenario :

1A) - When we move our test platform forward within the ship's hull at another 10 m/s
    we should expect (according to our formula above) lagging of the bullet (in the moment of touching the ship's hull on it's (bullet's) way down) behind the test platform.

1B) - When we move our test platform backward within the ship's hull at 10 m/s we should expect the bullet coming back right at the muzzle of the gun fixed on our test platform, since the momentum of a ship has been canceled out by moving our test platform in counter direction of ship's motion which speed is identical to the speed of our test platform.

No. If the earth were stationary (i.e. not rotating) TE goes infinite and delta goes to zero. If the platform runs on a slightly curved track with radius equal to the earth's radius, then the 20 m/s sum of the speed of the cart to the west on the slightly curved track plus speed of the boat to the west along the slightly curved surface of the water's surface, that would introduce a time of rotation of -2,003,739 seconds (about 24 days; negative because it's to the west), causing the projectile to theoretically land about 1.4 mm east of the launch point if launched to a height of 50 meters (we want to keep it inside the hull, so that may be the practical limit, depending on the ship and how they can accommodate your test apparatus and height requirements).

2. THE EARTH IS A SPINNING GLOBE scenario :

2A) - When we move our test platform forward within the ship's hull at another 10 m/s we should expect (according to our formula)  lagging of the test platform (not the bullet - as it was the case in our STATIONARY EARTH scenario) behind the bullet (in the moment the bullet comes back to the "ground" (ship's hull)).

2B) - When we move our test platform backward at 10 m/s the bullet should fall back on ship's hull in the same direction as it was the case in 2A) scenario, and in this case the bullet should lag to a greater degree behind the platform, than the platform should lag behind the bullet in 2A) scenario.

No. In 2A, the platform is moving west at 20 m/s (10 m/s from the ship's speed and 10 m/s from the platform's motion within the ship). In 2B, the platform is not moving wrt the earth's surface (10 m/s west from the ship's speed and 10 m/s east from the platform's motion within the ship adds to 0 m/s net). If it's at the equator, this motion increases TE from the sidereal rotation period 86170 seconds to 90042 seconds when moving west at 20 m/s, and, if the projectile is launched 50 meters, delta is reduced from 0.0311 meters (31.1 mm) when still wrt the surface, to 0.0297 meters (29.7 mm) moving west at 20 m/s, a difference of 1.4 mm (iow, it lands 1.4 mm east of where it would have landed in the net zero west motion). Good luck getting any consistency seeing that when launching to a height of 50 meters from a moving platform within a moving boat. In both cases the projectile lands west of the gun since the net rotation is toward the east in both 2A and 2B.

Do you see the problem for THE EARTH IS A SPINNING GLOBE scenario???

Nope. There's an obvious problem with your analysis, though. You've managed to thoroughly confuse yourself. Again.

2A scenario = lagging the platform behind the bullet (which is absolutely conterintuitive and impossible to happen in this world)
    2B scenario = lagging the bullet behind the platform (which is in accordance with stationary earth scenario)

You see, while attempting to reduce a degree of bullet's lagging behind the platform (towards the front side of a ship - towards the west) we should witness some quite extraordinary phenomena : all of the sudden the platform should start to lag behind the bullet, because you can't expect to reverse the whole process (by moving towards west - instead of towards east) in such a radical way that the bullet should fall easterly from the moving platform. The bullet should still have to fall westerly from the platform, but to the lesser degree than when moving our platform eastward. Only, such a radical reversal isn't something that anyone would ever expect to happen in reality as we know it, is it???

The net easterly rotation causes a slight deflection of the projectile toward the west. Period.

If the experiment were perfectly carried out, the projectile would land slightly west of the launch point on the carriage both times. In one case, it's "ahead" of the launch point since the carriage is going west; in the other it's "behind" the launch point since the carriage is going east. All you've done is swap whether west means "ahead of" or "behind" the carriage. That's all.

See? That wasn't so hard, was it?

What is the problem here?
Both of us were wrong, since it is not true that if the experiment were perfectly carried out, the projectile would land slightly west of the launch point on the carriage both times. There is no way (no physical justification) that in 2A scenario (spinning globe scenario) the platform would lag behind the bullet...It would not, no matter if the earth rotates or not...

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #1155 on: September 09, 2019, 07:13:25 AM »
An object sitting on the ground can only move upwards if it is pushed from underneath or lifted from the side/top.

Under which of these two categories would you classify an air balloon?

Yes

« Reply #1156 on: September 09, 2019, 07:16:44 AM »

Is that all I get?  No rebuttal, no clarifications?  No attempt at a common understanding of how we are speaking past each other?

Why is it "total and utter bullshit"?

This force pushing a rocket cannot be pushing on the inside of the rocket any more than you can push with your feet upwards against the inside of a cardboard box you are within to stop it from falling from a height.

Consider again what it would be like if you were in freefall in a vacuum, or equivalently floating in space, and if you were sealed in a cardboard box.  You kick a side of the box.  Not much happens, maybe you start to tumble.  But what if the box was open, as with a rocket nozzle?  What happens if you kick the box?  Can you kick it away?  Do you and the box drift in opposite directions?  As seen from a camera floating out of reach, do you move out of frame?  Or does the box move out of frame?  Or both?  Which moves out of frame faster?
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #1157 on: September 09, 2019, 07:36:18 AM »
And the magical, musical question that you still aren't answering is "how exactly do those gasses push the rocket up and off the launchpad?" 
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #1158 on: September 09, 2019, 09:08:45 AM »
An object sitting on the ground can only move upwards if it is pushed from underneath or lifted from the side/top.

1. Why airplane and ship propellers work differently, but using the same operating principle (NEWTON'S THIRD LAW)?

It's easy to see why there's a difference if we go back to Newton's third law. The simplest way to think of a propeller is as a device that moves a vehicle forward by pushing air or water backward. The force on the backward-moving fluid is equal to the force on the forward-moving vehicle. Now force is also the rate at which something's momentum changes, so we can also see a propeller as a device that gives a ship or a plane forward momentum by giving air or water an equal amount of backward momentum. Sea water is about 1000 times more dense than air (at sea level), so you need to move much more air than water to produce a similar change in momentum.

PUSHING BACKWARD = PUSHING OFF OF

2. Action and reaction

When we talk about jet engines, we to tend think of rocket-like tubes that fire exhaust gas backward. Another basic bit of physics, Newton's third law of motion, tells us that as a jet engine's exhaust gas shoots back, the plane itself must move forward.

3. Jet engine is just more efficient than propellers, but the principle of working is the same in both cases : NEWTON'S THIRD LAW!!!

However, if anybody thinks that there's an essential difference (regarding the principle of working) between jet engines and propellers then i would like to see what makes the core of that difference.

You see, we are supposed to believe that there is an essential difference regarding the principle of working between jet engines and propellers, however, such difference doesn't exist in reality.

According to official science, although NEWTON'S THIRD LAW is a common explanation for how propellers, jets, and rockets work, NASA claims that jet engine's principle of working is basically "recoil mechanism" (this is how they are preparing us for swallowing their next lie, which pertains rocket's principle of working)...

4. Inflated 1000 miles up, or 4x as high as the ISS is supposedly orbiting. NASA has stolen hundreds of BILLIONS of unaccounted for dollars, of course the fake photos, film movies, CGI and facilities/airplanes and very overpaid employees etc does cost money but nowhere near that much. Between 2006 and 2009 there are no records of where NASA money went, look that one up. Kinda like the 1 TRILLION dollars Rumsfelds Pentagon "lost" as reported the DAY BEFORE 9-11, look that one up too. In 1932 Auguste Piccard went 10 miles up in a balloon, in 1935 Explorer II went up 14 miles.
ACCOMPANYING VIDEO :
BALLOONS CAN GO UP TO 1000 MILES - VIDEO :
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7g9tn0
PROJECT LIBERTY - IT'S ALL BULLSHIT, I TELL YA :
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7gbiik

Will Helium Filled Balloons Float or Sink In a Vacuum Chamber :
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:15:36 AM by cikljamas »

« Reply #1159 on: September 09, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »
That's a lot of words to dodge the very question you quoted.

Under which of those 2 will you classify a hot air balloon?

In addition. When the rocket's exhaust leaves and hits the air around it, how do the air molecules transfer that force back to the rocket to get it to move?

2 simple questions that you say a lot to avoid answering.

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #1160 on: September 09, 2019, 09:45:06 AM »

1. Why airplane and ship propellers work differently, but using the same operating principle (NEWTON'S THIRD LAW)?

It's easy to see why there's a difference if we go back to Newton's third law. The simplest way to think of a propeller is as a device that moves a vehicle forward by pushing air or water backward. The force on the backward-moving fluid is equal to the force on the forward-moving vehicle. Now force is also the rate at which something's momentum changes, so we can also see a propeller as a device that gives a ship or a plane forward momentum by giving air or water an equal amount of backward momentum. Sea water is about 1000 times more dense than air (at sea level), so you need to move much more air than water to produce a similar change in momentum.

2. Action and reaction

When we talk about jet engines, we to tend think of rocket-like tubes that fire exhaust gas backward. Another basic bit of physics, Newton's third law of motion, tells us that as a jet engine's exhaust gas shoots back, the plane itself must move forward.

3. Jet engine is just more efficient than propellers, but the principle of working is the same in both cases : NEWTON'S THIRD LAW!!!

However, if anybody thinks that there's an essential difference (regarding the principle of working) between jet engines and propellers then i would like to see what makes the core of that difference.

You see, we are supposed to believe that there is an essential difference regarding the principle of working between jet engines and propellers, however, such difference doesn't exist in reality.

According to official science, although NEWTON'S THIRD LAW is a common explanation for how propellers, jets, and rockets work, NASA claims that jet engine's principle of working is basically "recoil mechanism" (this is how they are preparing us for swallowing their next lie, which pertains rocket's principle of working)...

4. Inflated 1000 miles up, or 4x as high as the ISS is supposedly orbiting. NASA has stolen hundreds of BILLIONS of unaccounted for dollars, of course the fake photos, film movies, CGI and facilities/airplanes and very overpaid employees etc does cost money but nowhere near that much. Between 2006 and 2009 there are no records of where NASA money went, look that one up. Kinda like the 1 TRILLION dollars Rumsfelds Pentagon "lost" as reported the DAY BEFORE 9-11, look that one up too. In 1932 Auguste Piccard went 10 miles up in a balloon, in 1935 Explorer II went up 14 miles.
ACCOMPANYING VIDEO :
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7gbiik

Will Helium Filled Balloons Float or Sink In a Vacuum Chamber :

You wrote a very long post but didn't answer the question:

Do you think something is pushing the balloon from underneath or something is lifting it from the top/side?

Yes

« Reply #1161 on: September 09, 2019, 09:59:13 AM »
Jet engines and propellers both work by chucking mass behind them.  The important difference with rockets is that while propellers and jet engines get their chucking-mass from the air in front of them, rocket engines get their chucking-mass from the solid or liquid fuel carried with them.

In all cases, the important part of their locomotion is having some mass and chucking it out the rear.  Just throw that mass backwards.  Doesn't matter where it comes from.  The faster you chuck it backwards, the faster you move forward.

The chucking mass doesn't have to be chucked against anything in particular.  You might get some extra bounce from recoiling off the ground, the way helicopters do, but that's not what's relevant here.  When you're on roller blades, you don't need to chuck a mass against a wall to roll forwards.  The rolling forwards doesn't happen when the chucked mass hits anything.  It happens when you chuck it.

Chucking is key.

Macarios

« Reply #1162 on: September 09, 2019, 12:45:01 PM »
This force pushing a rocket cannot be pushing on the inside of the rocket any more than you can push with your feet upwards against the inside of a cardboard box you are within to stop it from falling from a height.

You are staying in that box.
Exhaust does not.

Exhaust pushes the rocket and stays behind.
If you push the box and stay behind, the box will go without you.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #1163 on: September 09, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
Jet engines and propellers both work by chucking mass behind them.  The important difference with rockets is that while propellers and jet engines get their chucking-mass from the air in front of them, rocket engines get their chucking-mass from the solid or liquid fuel carried with them.

In all cases, the important part of their locomotion is having some mass and chucking it out the rear.  Just throw that mass backwards.  Doesn't matter where it comes from.  The faster you chuck it backwards, the faster you move forward.

The chucking mass doesn't have to be chucked against anything in particular.  You might get some extra bounce from recoiling off the ground, the way helicopters do, but that's not what's relevant here.  When you're on roller blades, you don't need to chuck a mass against a wall to roll forwards.  The rolling forwards doesn't happen when the chucked mass hits anything.  It happens when you chuck it.

Chucking is key.

Is it?

To acknowledge the existence of air drag in front of the rocket while, at the same time, deny the existence of the opposite air displacement exerted by the exhaust plume below it - is an utter contradiction in terms and a crude offense to common sense. If this were to be true (that "rockets do not push against air"), this would mean that the formidable, explosive thrust of a rocket's exhaust plume does not encounter any air resistance - a preposterous and outlandish contention, if there ever was one. Instead, as the NASA quackery goes, we are asked to believe that rockets are propelled solely by the "recoil force" generated by the rapid expulsion of fuel mass from rocket tanks. If this were true, we should all hover above our toilet seats when stricken with explosive diarrhea - yet I doubt that anyone has ever had the (mixed) fortune of experiencing such a thrill.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #1164 on: September 09, 2019, 01:17:46 PM »

You are staying in that box.
Exhaust does not.

Exhaust pushes the rocket and stays behind.

Correct!

kopfverderber

• Globularist
« Reply #1165 on: September 09, 2019, 01:56:39 PM »

To acknowledge the existence of air drag in front of the rocket while, at the same time, deny the existence of the opposite air displacement exerted by the exhaust plume below it - is an utter contradiction in terms and a crude offense to common sense. If this were to be true (that "rockets do not push against air"), this would mean that the formidable, explosive thrust of a rocket's exhaust plume does not encounter any air resistance - a preposterous and outlandish contention, if there ever was one. Instead, as the NASA quackery goes, we are asked to believe that rockets are propelled solely by the "recoil force" generated by the rapid expulsion of fuel mass from rocket tanks. If this were true, we should all hover above our toilet seats when stricken with explosive diarrhea - yet I doubt that anyone has ever had the (mixed) fortune of experiencing such a thrill.

You seem to have a fixation with NASA, but "Rockets do not push against air" doesn't seem to come only from NASA. From what I've seen every physicist is saying the same thing as NASA when asked this question.

Now, if opposite to what mainstream science say,  you claim that rockets work by pushing against air, why don't you explain how this work mechanically? This has been asked to you several times, but you are not addressing the question.

I can imagine how the exhaust gases push the air around the exhaust, but I have a hard time imagining how you think the atmosphere gases are pushing  the rocket. Could you please explain how do the air molecules at the atmosphere interact with the rocket to exert a force on it? Do air molecules collide with the rocket and exert a force on it, is that what you think? Or do the air molecules collide with the exhaust gases expelled by the rocket and then the exhaust gases turn back and collide with the rocket?

JackBlack

« Reply #1166 on: September 09, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »
If you wish to dismiss it as BS you will need to provide an alternative.
You will need to explain how the gas accelerates.

but if you open the nozzle all the gas exits immediately before it can push against the ship.
See, this is total and utter bullshit!
It is a defiance of Newton's laws of motion.
The gas cannot escape without pushing against the rocket.
That is a key part of the question I have repeatedly asked.
In order for the gas to escape it needs to accelerate.
But as it has mass, it requires a force to accelerate, which demands an interaction with a second body, with the only available body being the rocket meaning the rocket needs to have a force applied to it by the gas to escape.
i.e. the gas MUST push the rocket BEFORE it can exit.
If it doesn't push against the rocket (pushing the rocket as well), it cannot exist.

This is what you need to address.
This is what you have repeatedly refused to address.

You need to tell us how the gas accelerates.
The rational answer is that it interacts with the rocket with each forcing the other the other way so the rocket is forced forwards and the gas is forced backwards.

If you want to say this doesn't happen, you need to provide an alternative.

That is why I have been repeatedly asking my very simple and intelligent question which exposes the complete insanity of your claim.

So are you going to finally try and address it or do us all a favour and admit you have been lying the whole time and that you know rockets do work in a vacuum?

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #1167 on: September 09, 2019, 02:24:57 PM »

Chucking is key.

Is it?

A rocket rising through the atmosphere will nicely proceed upwards in its escape from gravity - as long as certain conditions are maintained: the relative pressures at the rocket's nozzle and the outside atmosphere need to be as equal as possible, in order to obtain maximum 'mileage' / efficiency from the rocket's fuel.

- In fact, NASA clearly states that the optimal running conditions of their rockets occur only ONCE, at a certain unspecified (mid-range) altitude, when the above-mentioned pressures are identical. This, in perfect accordance with Newton's 3d law - what with its notion of "equal and opposite forces". Clearly, these rockets are designed to work best in our earthly atmosphere - and the atmospheric pressure IS in fact "the equal and opposite force" which the rocket thrust pushes against. To deny this fact is pure, outlandish and deceptive NASA hogwash-babble. Ironically, it is NASA itself that claims that their rockets work BEST when those two pressures are equal !

- Aerodynamic drag will of course be a factor in the equation, yet only a minor one - given the pencil-shaped, streamlined vessel. As the atmosphere pressure thins out with altitude, some more speed will probably be gained (out of a given power output) - but this fact would, obviously, have no incidence whatsoever in alleviating the forces needed for the weight of the rocket to escape the pull of gravity.

- Now, as we have previously seen, the atmospheric density range which our spacebound rocket is supposed to operate in, spans from a pressure of 0,001 (the average air density in our atmosphere) to a staggeringly inferior pressure of 0,000000000000000000000001 (the density of space vacuum). Thus, as the rocket climbs ever higher, it will have to exponentially increase its output/thrust (and, of course, its fuel consumption), in order to keep going - and combating the pull of gravity which, contrary to public belief, does NOT decrease exponentially with altitude.

- The rocket (at a given, high altitude which I cannot pretend to calculate precisely) will eventually be overpowered by the force of the exponentially decreasing outside pressure, its fuel being sucked out into the infinite 'vacuum of space' at stratospheric rate/speed - and faster than you can say "Houston-we-have-a-prob...---". Much like a champagne bottle popping its cork here on Earth (due to a minimal pressure difference), the rocket fuel will flush out with explosive force. Moreover, this force will expand in ALL directions (a bit like the diffused spray of your garden waterhose nozzle set on 'broad, soft mode') and provide little or no thrust. The rocket, from there on, will be doomed - and plunge back to Earth.

And for those willing to argue that NASA may have found a way to 'pinch' their rocket nozzles, so that the fuel doesn't get sucked out in a flash : well, you can always open a champagne bottle with great care, making the force inside it fizzle slowly out in the atmosphere. But such a subdued, impotent fizzle would hardly provide the necessary energy to propel a rocket away from Earth's gravity, would it?

Only a pinched fart would produce the same amount of 'power'(odor-power, in this case) as a vigorously expelled bowel-gas sample. We all know that much!

NASA denies that their rockets' propulsion has anything to do with any sort of interaction between their rockets' exhaust-thrust and air/atmosphere. Instead, they appeal to Newton's third law, saying that the exhausts of their rockets push on their own fuel/tank itself - and THAT is where and how the action/reaction occurs. They often compare this with the recoil of a bullet being fired by a shotgun. Of course, this is nonsense.

To attain the so-called escape velocity of 11km/s with "recoil power" only, this is what NASA's rockets would have to do: they'd have to shoot out from behind their rockets, all at once (like a bullet from a gun) a mass equal to the mass of the vessel itself - at a velocity of 11km/s. This means that, if this were to be the case (that rockets move due to "recoil action/reaction")- more than half of any rocket's fuel mass would have to be ejected at that speed - as illustrated in this diagram:

Of course, this is not the case - and would be quite impossible to do. Yet, this is basically how NASA 'explains' how their spacecrafts are propelled through air and vacuum.

JackBlack

« Reply #1168 on: September 09, 2019, 03:00:15 PM »
A rocket rising through the atmosphere will nicely proceed upwards in its escape from gravity - as long as certain conditions are maintained: the relative pressures at the rocket's nozzle and the outside atmosphere need to be as equal as possible, in order to obtain maximum 'mileage' / efficiency from the rocket's fuel.
No, it will keep going even if that condition isn't maintained. It will just be less efficient.

Now how about you quit with the BS and tell us HOW DOES THE GAS ACCELERATE?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #1169 on: September 09, 2019, 04:01:47 PM »

NO! As has been explained to you numerous times before:
A rocket rising through the atmosphere will nicely proceed upwards in its escape from gravity EVEN if  the relative pressures at the rocket's nozzle and the outside atmosphere are NOT as equal as possible

Equalising the exhaust pressure and the outside pressure does optimise the thrust but the change due to the pressures being different is comparatively minor.

Take a specific case:
The "sea-level" version of the SpaceX Merlin 1D delivers a thrust of 845 kN (190,000 lbf) at sea-level and 914 kN (205,000 lbf) in a vacuum.
While the "vacuum" version of the Merlin 1D (using a far larger bell) delivers a thrust of 934 kN (210,000 lbf) in a vacuum.

In fact, NASA clearly states that the optimal running conditions of their rockets occur only ONCE, at a certain unspecified (mid-range) altitude, when the above-mentioned pressures are identical.
Yes, "optimal running conditions of their rockets occur only ONCE, at a certain unspecified (mid-range) altitude" but
understand this, a sea-level rocket engine will operate perfectly well from sea-level all the way to a perfect vacuum and neither NASA nor SpaceX say anything different.

Look again at the above thrusts for a SpaceX Merlin 1D sea-level engine: Thrust of 845 kN (190,000 lbf) at sea-level and 914 kN (205,000 lbf) in a vacuum.

But a normal vacuum rocket engine cannot be used at sea-level because the excessive size of the bell causes flame instabilities which can wreck the engine.

So not only can a vacuum rocket engine NOT be used at sea-level but being far larger than a sea-level engine it is quite impractical.

Just compare the sizes of the SpaceX Merlin 1C sea-level engine and their vacuum engine, first the engines themselves, without the bell:
Left to right: Falcon 1 Merlin 1C, Falcon 9 1C and Falcon 9 2nd stage 1C vacuum
without the extension nozzle, so it's a shorter, fatter nozzle than the others:
       And this extension nozzle of the vacuum engine looks like by itself:
I tried to scale the two photos correctly.

So, just get this straight! A sea-level engine functions quite well from sea-level right to a perfect vacuum and gives its maximum thrust in a vacuum.
Look again at the above thrusts for a SpaceX Merlin 1D sea-level engine: Thrust of 845 kN (190,000 lbf) at sea-level and 914 kN (205,000 lbf) in a vacuum.

This is in perfect accord with the rocket thrust equation, , used by Robert Goddard, ROSCOSMOS, NASA and Spacex!

This, in perfect accordance with Newton's 3d law - what with its notion of "equal and opposite forces".
While it is in "perfect accordance with Newton's 3d law" the differenct between sea-level and vacuum thrust is simple the pressure force term, Ae(Pe - Po).

That "pressure force term" is clearly a maximum when the outside pressure, Po, is zero!

Clearly, these rockets are designed to work best in our earthly atmosphere - and the atmospheric pressure
NO![/b]
These sea-level rocket engines[/color] are designed to work best in our earthly atmosphere[/b] BUT
the vacuum-level rocket engines[/color] are designed to work only in our the vacuum of SPACE![/b]

IS in fact "the equal and opposite force" which the rocket thrust pushes against[/b].
All the rocket "pushes against" is the burnt propellant! Get used to it.

To deny this fact is pure, outlandish and deceptive NASA hogwash-babble. Ironically, it is NASA itself that claims that their rockets work BEST when those two pressures are equal !
No, NASA do not say that a given rocket engine "works BEST when those two pressures are equal".
What they do say is that the maximum efficiency can be achieved when the pressures are equal.

Look at spaceX's actual thrust figures again!
The "sea-level" version of the SpaceX Merlin 1D delivers a thrust of 845 kN (190,000 lbf) at sea-level and 914 kN (205,000 lbf) in a vacuum.
While the "vacuum" version of the Merlin 1D (using a far larger bell) delivers a thrust of 934 kN (210,000 lbf) in a vacuum.

The "vacuum engine" has only a marginally higher thrust in a vacuum.

Please learn what NASA (and everybody else) means when they say the "maximum efficiency" is when the pressures are equal.
"Maximum efficiency" is NOT the same as "maximum thrust" for a given engine and nozzle design.

Now stop coming back with the same old debunked rubbish again and again and this meme might be more appropriate: