New design? "Sun Quadrant Sextant"

• 27 Replies

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
New design? "Sun Quadrant Sextant"
« on: July 19, 2019, 05:29:37 PM »
I could have bought a Sextant, but it sure feels good to design and make a unique instrument such as this. I haven't seen anything like it or it's function. Have you?  What do you think?

The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: New design? "Sun Quadrant Sextant"
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 06:18:34 PM »
I could have bought a Sextant, but it sure feels good to design and make a unique instrument such as this. I haven't seen anything like it or it's function. Have you?  What do you think?

It looks good and much more practical for that purpose. I assume that you also have a compass and a level attached.

A sextant is intended the precision needed when navigation a ship using celestial navigation.
One minute of arc in the final lat, long values is a nautical mile in error
To achieve that each sighting needs to be far better than that unless you can computer average the sightings on hundreds of stars as professional geodetic surveyors can.

"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by"
                                                                --John Masefield--
But all you need is to read to no better than a degree or so.

So congrats!

Plat Terra

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 08:08:35 AM »

It looks good and much more practical for that purpose. I assume that you also have a compass and a level attached.

A sextant is intended the precision needed when navigation a ship using celestial navigation.
One minute of arc in the final lat, long values is a nautical mile in error
To achieve that each sighting needs to be far better than that unless you can computer average the sightings on hundreds of stars as professional geodetic surveyors can.

"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by"
                                                                --John Masefield--
But all you need is to read to no better than a degree or so.

So congrats!

Compass, yes, but trying to find the right set of levels to machine in.

Thanks!
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 01:23:42 AM »
.....and the point is?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 01:32:20 AM »
someone put a bunch of time and effort into reinventing the stick.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 01:52:50 AM »
someone put a bunch of time and effort into reinventing the stick.

Not just any stick, a machined al-u-minium stick mind you.

Macarios

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 02:55:44 AM »
Forgot to mention: have you seen the design of Astrolabe?
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Plat Terra

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 09:27:51 AM »

You guys can mock all you want.

I also made the Quadrant to mock the Globe Earth theory.  Anyone who uses it to verify latitude on equinox doesn’t have to measure any shadow and calculate it through some convoluted Globe crap to determine degrees to the equator on a fake Globe.

The unnecessary convoluted shadow experiment is designed to program young minds and make them believe they live on a Globe.  My quadrant was made for a Plat Terra. Its base is horizontal and it can determine latitude on this earth instantly with just the movement of the indicator. No convoluted programming crap is needed.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:41:28 AM by Plat Terra »

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 10:13:18 AM »
Why would you describe your position on a flat Earth in "degrees"?

Asking for a friend!
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

Plat Terra

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 10:35:38 AM »
Why would you describe your position on a flat Earth in "degrees"?

Asking for a friend!

In degrees to Equator or latitude. Call it what ever. Means the same.

Suns circular position directly over equator on equinox at solar noon. Latitude is measured in degrees. If its a 45° angle to the Sun its 45° in latitude to the equator. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 10:58:51 AM by Plat Terra »

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 10:38:19 AM »
I like the way you have photoshopped or other, the name and logo on the side. Not very well I have to say.

What do you have to say to the countless generations of mariners who successfully navigated their way around the globe using the method that you reject.
I just wonder how you would get on if you found yourself on a boat in the mid-Atlantic left to using your methods?

Plat Terra

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 10:54:44 AM »
I like the way you have photoshopped or other, the name and logo on the side. Not very well I have to say.

What do you have to say to the countless generations of mariners who successfully navigated their way around the globe using the method that you reject.
I just wonder how you would get on if you found yourself on a boat in the mid-Atlantic left to using your methods?

I don't care for your thought's, I have to say they mean nothing.

What are you referring to?  What method am I rejecting that is used at sea? Did they use a stick and shadow experiment on a boat deck and measure a shadow to determine latitude or did they use a sextant or other like instrument?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 11:00:09 AM by Plat Terra »

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »

What are you referring to?  What method am I rejecting that is used at sea? Did they use a stick and shadow experiment on a boat deck and measure a shadow to determine latitude or did they use a sextant or other like instrument?

Each to their own.

You do realise that the fact a sextant can be used to find your position, let's say at sea, is all based on the earth being a globe and rotating at a constant rate and not flat. With a sextant and a good chronometer like the one made by Harrison for example, you could find your position fairly accurately.

Plat Terra

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 11:25:18 AM »

Each to their own.

You do realise that the fact a sextant can be used to find your position, let's say at sea, is all based on the earth being a globe and rotating at a constant rate and not flat. With a sextant and a good chronometer like the one made by Harrison for example, you could find your position fairly accurately.

Of course,

Again, What are you referring to?  What method am I rejecting at sea?

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 11:49:21 AM »

Each to their own.

Of course,

A sextant and all the subsequent calculations done to find one's position at sea for example only works if the earth is a constantly fixed-rate rotating globe and not a stationary flat plane.

Or to put it simply, a sextant only works in the manner it has been used for hundreds of years if the earth is a spinning ball.....and not flat as you appear to be saying.

Plat Terra

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 12:02:54 PM »

Each to their own.

Of course,

A sextant and all the subsequent calculations done to find one's position at sea for example only works if the earth is a constantly fixed-rate rotating globe and not a stationary flat plane.

Or to put it simply, a sextant only works in the manner it has been used for hundreds of years if the earth is a spinning ball.....and not flat as you appear to be saying.

You should work on your morals and not falsely accuse someone of something. I did not reject methods at sea. I only rejected the unnecessary method of measuring a shadow.

BTW A Sextant calculates from a horizon. A word in the English language derived from horizontal not a curved geometrical line.  A Sextant for a spherical world is actually foreign to you. You let me know when you have actually taken a real picture of a curvizon. Just 1 would help, but you can't do it. Why?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:31:11 PM by Plat Terra »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 12:05:24 PM »
BTW there is no horizon on a flat earth.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »
What is the purpose of the land mine?

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 12:14:44 PM »

Each to their own.

Of course,

You should work on your morals and not falsely accuse someone of something. I did not reject methods at sea. I only rejected the unnecessary method of measuring a shadow.

BTW A Sexton calculates from a horizon. A word in the English language derived from horizontal not a curved geometrical line.  A Sextant for a spherical world is actually foreign to you. You let me know when you have actually taken a real picture of a curvizon. Just 1 would help, but you can't do it. Why?

I refer you to one of your earlier posts;
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=82408.msg2189233#msg2189233

In this, you give the impression that the globe earth is a hoax if that were the case every mariner who used a sextant over the past several hundred years for navigation would have ended up lost.

Plat Terra

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »

Each to their own.

Of course,

BTW A Sexton calculates from a horizon. A word in the English language derived from horizontal not a curved geometrical line.  A Sextant for a spherical world is actually foreign to you. You let me know when you have actually taken a real picture of a curvizon. Just 1 would help, but you can't do it. Why?

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=82408.msg2189233#msg2189233

In this, you give the impression that the globe earth is a hoax if that were the case every mariner who used a sextant over the past several hundred years for navigation would have ended up lost.

In reference to this "The unnecessary convoluted shadow experiment is designed to program young minds and make them believe they live on a Globe." and not to measure a shadow at sea on a boat deck. Two different issues. You're still wrong. Anybody with common sense would know my instrument is not sea worthy.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:28:00 PM by Plat Terra »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 12:27:26 PM »
Have you compared the angles of the shadows between the different models to see if they are the same? The picture doesn't include the angle values.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 02:48:24 PM »

Each to their own.

Of course,

BTW A Sextant calculates from a horizon. A word in the English language derived from horizontal not a curved geometrical line.  A Sextant for a spherical world is actually foreign to you. You let me know when you have actually taken a real picture of a curvizon. Just 1 would help, but you can't do it. Why?
The true horizon is horizontal. It surrounds the observer and it is typically assumed to be a circle, drawn on the surface of a perfectly spherical model of the Earth. Its center is below the observer and below sea level

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 03:18:07 PM »

Each to their own.

Of course,

In reference to this "The unnecessary convoluted shadow experiment is designed to program young minds and make them believe they live on a Globe." and not to measure a shadow at sea on a boat deck. Two different issues. You're still wrong. Anybody with common sense would know my instrument is not sea worthy.
You really cant folow the simple logic of your own words!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2019, 04:15:00 PM »
BTW A Sextant calculates from a horizon.
it. Why?
Because at sea the horizon is the best reference available for calculating the local horizontal.
And if the observer is close to sea-level the horizon is very close to the local horizontal The horizon falls below the local horizontal (eye-level) by an amount dependent on observer height.

And any sailor or navigator knows that a correction must be applied to allow for this dip angle. Just look up any Naval Almanac from as far back as you like up to the present day!

Quote from: Plat Terra
A word in the English language derived from horizontal not a curved geometrical line.
That is total fiction perpetuated by flat earthers ignorant of their own language. Please read:
horizon (n.)
late 14c., orisoun, from Old French orizon (14c., Modern French horizon), earlier orizonte (13c.), from Latin horizontem (nominative horizon), from Greek horizon (kyklos) "bounding (circle)," from horizein "bound, limit, divide, separate," from horos "boundary, landmark, marking stones."
Put simply the word horizon is means the "bounding (circle)" between the sky and the earth and has nothing to do with its being straight - even though it almost is!

A Sextant for a spherical world is actually foreign to you.
No, a sextant was developed for an earth known to be spherical and from very early days it was known that a "dip angle correction" that depended on the observer elevation above sea-level.

You let me know when you have actually taken a real picture of a curvizon. Just 1 would help, but you can't do it. Why?
In case you didn't know the ocean horizon on the Globe is almost perfectly straight and that is exactly as it should be.
If it were curved it could mean that we lived on a small spherical object or a larger cylinder.

Plat Terra

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2019, 04:37:27 PM »
it. Why?
Because at sea the horizon is the best reference available for calculating the local horizontal.
And if the observer is close to sea-level the horizon is very close to the local horizontal The horizon falls below the local horizontal (eye-level) by an amount dependent on observer height.

And any sailor or navigator knows that a correction must be applied to allow for this dip angle. Just look up any Naval Almanac from as far back as you like up to the present day!

A word in the English language derived from horizontal not a curved geometrical line.
That is total fiction perpetuated by flat earthers ignorant of their own language. Please read:
horizon (n.)
late 14c., orisoun, from Old French orizon (14c., Modern French horizon), earlier orizonte (13c.), from Latin horizontem (nominative horizon), from Greek horizon (kyklos) "bounding (circle)," from horizein "bound, limit, divide, separate," from horos "boundary, landmark, marking stones."
Put simply the word horizon is means the "bounding (circle)" between the sky and the earth and has nothing to do with its being straight - even though it almost is!

No, a sextant was developed for an earth known to be spherical and from very early days it was known that a "dip angle correction" that depended on the observer elevation above sea-level.

You let me know when you have actually taken a real picture of a curvizon. Just 1 would help, but you can't do it. Why?
In case you didn't know the ocean horizon on the Globe is almost perfectly straight and that is exactly as it should be.
If it were curved it could mean that we lived on a small spherical object or a larger cylinder.

I am not into pissing matches. But I will say, the sphere you think you live on has a imaginary radius of only 3959 miles. That's small and would be very noticeable from mountain tops. Hell, a 6' drop in curvature would also be noticeable. My place wouldn't flood if there was a 6' drop in curvature surrounding me.

?

frenat

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 04:44:51 PM »
My place wouldn't flood if there was a 6' drop in curvature surrounding me.
You don't actually understand how curvature works, do you? You can have that drop and everything still be at the same elevation.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 04:49:20 PM »
But I will say, the sphere you think you live on has a imaginary radius of only 3959 miles. That's small and would be very noticeable from mountain tops. Hell, a 6' drop in curvature would also be noticeable. My place wouldn't flood if there was a 6' drop in curvature surrounding me.

Why? What does radius have to do with anything regarding a drop or flood protection? Please explain.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 06:58:56 PM »
it. Why?

horizon (n.)

I am not into pissing matches.
But that is exactly what you are doing! I prove quite conclusively that every point you make is wrong or meaningless and you refuse to admit or even discuss it.

But I will say, the sphere you think you live on has a imaginary radius of only 3959 miles. That's small and would be very noticeable from mountain tops.
You have a funny idea of small.
Please tell me what curvature you would expect in the horizon on a photo covering a 120° field width taken from 3000 m (10,000 ft if you like) mountain.
And tell me the width of the horizon in metres (or miles if you prefer).

Hell, a 6' drop in curvature would also be noticeable.
Are you sure? Ignoring refraction from a 10,000 ft mountain the horizon would be a bit over 122 miles away and you claim a "a 6' drop in curvature would also be noticeable"?
That horizon would be about 1.8° below eye-level (local horizontal).
So over to you.

My place wouldn't flood if there was a 6' drop in curvature surrounding me.
Why is that relevant?
Over a 12 miles wide section of the ocean the centre is only 6 feet above a straight line joining the ends.
But on the Globe elevations of the land are measured above (or below) Mean Sea Level so that 6 feet is not above the ends.