Acceleration is not constant on Earth

• 453 Replies

mightyfletch

• 14yr Meteorologist...because the Earth is round.
Re: Acceleration is not constant on Earth
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2019, 02:31:36 PM »
Okay, if you assume there is a magic bouyant force making things lighter over the equator and at higher altitudes, it's just that...magic.  I'd like to hear an explanation involving something other than magic.
Well if we are discussing the highly selective universal accelerator then we are already dealing with magic.

Boydster and others would prefer to call it some unknown cause, but I will keep calling it magic.

Saying they have no explanation for this is rather pointless as they have no explanation for UA in the first place. So if you want to go down that path you should start with asking what is causing Earth to accelerate upwards in the first place.

Yeah, I would like to hear that too.
Look up in the sky, it's a bird, no, it's a plane, no, it's the International Space Station!

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »
Gravity is mass atracts masss.
But why?

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2019, 02:33:45 PM »
The why matters less than it IS an observed phenomenom

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2019, 02:36:19 PM »
It's not on me to explain any missing force. Again, refer back to your OP. You did not prove UA invalid like you said you did. And then you got upset because another RE was trying to explain to you that your argument fell flat, instead of supporting you. I'm trying to help you see why you aren't getting the atta-boy that you apparently wanted, and you just want to argue instead of taking a moment to understand where your logic broke down.
Of course you have to support your missing force. 
No, I don't. I didn't set out to disprove UA in this thread. You did. That's where the responsibility to demonstrate anything begins and ends. Let us know if you ever intend on making good in that, or if you think maybe it's time to walk that back.

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2019, 03:10:34 PM »
So, to bring this around, Boydster does not believe the Earth is continuously accelerating upwards.  The FE society wiki seems to think otherwise.
You are confusing 2 different "societies".

If it starts with TFES it isn't this one. It is Tom's one, which I have heard is far less open to people criticising FE and is more of an echo chamber.

mightyfletch

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2019, 04:15:14 PM »
So, to bring this around, Boydster does not believe the Earth is continuously accelerating upwards.  The FE society wiki seems to think otherwise.
You are confusing 2 different "societies".

If it starts with TFES it isn't this one. It is Tom's one, which I have heard is far less open to people criticising FE and is more of an echo chamber.

Oh. Oh well. 
Look up in the sky, it's a bird, no, it's a plane, no, it's the International Space Station!

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »
But why?

Mass distorts space-time.

Nullius in Verba

Heavenly Breeze

• resident of Equestria Weather Pegasus
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2019, 08:04:52 PM »
But why?

It is an outright lie

Are you sure that the earth is not such?

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2019, 08:29:15 PM »
Boydster and others would prefer to call it some unknown cause, but I will keep calling it magic.
Then you are just being insulting, as there are plenty of things that are perfectly fine to admit are unknown. Just because one of those things doesn't fit in your box of acceptable unknowns doesn't mean you can be condescending to others.

Saying they have no explanation for this is rather pointless as they have no explanation for UA in the first place. So if you want to go down that path you should start with asking what is causing Earth to accelerate upwards in the first place.
Again, having an explanation for UA isn't even remotely in scope for this thread. But regardless, there is simply no reason that it couldn't be an inherent property of the universe in the UA model. And that's really not that much more hand-wavey than other phenomena in the orthodox model of the universe. It's OK to not know the fundamentals of how something works, while still understanding that it works.

And all of this, to repeat, is not an endorsement of UA from me. But being condescending towards people that want to try and support this model, or being dismissive and insulting, and also declaring some kind of victory for having "destroyed" it or whatever when you haven't done so (not you in the latter case, JackBlack, I'm speaking of the OP on that one specifically) is not something I'm especially willing to just watch. There is a section of the forum where that is tolerated. The upper boards are not that.

mightyfletch

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2019, 09:50:57 PM »
Then you are just being insulting, as there are plenty of things that are perfectly fine to admit are unknown. Just because one of those things doesn't fit in your box of acceptable unknowns doesn't mean you can be condescending to others.

Again, having an explanation for UA isn't even remotely in scope for this thread. But regardless, there is simply no reason that it couldn't be an inherent property of the universe in the UA model. And that's really not that much more hand-wavey than other phenomena in the orthodox model of the universe. It's OK to not know the fundamentals of how something works, while still understanding that it works.

And all of this, to repeat, is not an endorsement of UA from me. But being condescending towards people that want to try and support this model, or being dismissive and insulting, and also declaring some kind of victory for having "destroyed" it or whatever when you haven't done so (not you in the latter case, JackBlack, I'm speaking of the OP on that one specifically) is not something I'm especially willing to just watch. There is a section of the forum where that is tolerated. The upper boards are not that.

Simply put, the round Earth model accounts for variations in gravity, while the flat Earth model does not account for these variations.  Absent some external force, which is not in an FE model put forth, acceleration must be uniform across a flat Earth.  But since there is no object floating just above the Earth with ability to cast an invisible floating attractive force over the equator and objects at higher altitudes, we know that their differeing values of gravity support a round Earth.

Side note: if you don't believe in UA, then how do you, Boydster, explain FE gravity?

The biggest problem I'm pointing out is that FEers have no explanation for a great many things that are so elementary in the world, when all they would have to do is just accept a round Earth, and it all neatly falls into place. 

When I say 'magic', it's because FE proponents have no answer to the most basic observations.  It's just written off like it doesn't matter.  The description of 'magic' is warranted when you have no observations or even mathmatical theory supporting your hypothesis.

I could be just as lazy and say the world is a double helix shape and everything you see is beamed to your brain from a cloaked ship,  all from some "unkown force."

« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2019, 10:35:48 PM »
But why?

ya but why?
EMC^2,
why?

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2019, 03:15:49 AM »
No, it isn't to be insulting or be condescending. It is because it being used as an excuse to avoid the far more rational conclusion and that there is literally no justification for it at all other than a rejection of what all the evidence points to.

Calling it magic is no more insulting or condescending than calling pixies magic.

But regardless, there is simply no reason that it couldn't be an inherent property of the universe in the UA model. And that's really not that much more hand-wavey than other phenomena in the orthodox model of the universe. It's OK to not know the fundamentals of how something works, while still understanding that it works.
No, it is vastly more hand-wavy and fundamentally different to phenomena in the orthodox model.
What phenomenon in the orthodox model has a specific directionality?
What in the orthodox model works so perfectly but imperfectly at the same time?

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2019, 10:46:57 AM »
Yes, it is insulting, and stop pretending like that's not the intention behind the words.

Also, I'm sorry, what was the OP that I responded to again? Oh yeah, it said this:
On the FE, acceleration would have to be the same anywhere on Earth.  Earth cannot be flat because of this.

And that's not the case.

We can leave the fact that it's entirely ok to say things are as-yet unknown alone for now. Because obviously that's stupid. Since that's how things work when it comes to developing an understanding of how things work on a fundamental level.

« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2019, 02:15:22 PM »
Yes, it is insulting, and stop pretending like that's not the intention behind the words.
No, it is not the intention at all.
I'm not the one pretending here.

Like I said, it is no more insulting than calling pixies magic.

We can leave the fact that it's entirely ok to say things are as-yet unknown alone for now.
Yes, it is okay to say things are unknown.
What I object to is people inventing unsubstantiated nonsense and hiding behind leaving things unknown to avoid a far more rational conclusion.
Yes, the variation in acceleration around Earth is not iron-clad proof that Earth would tear itself apart, but it is quite strong evidence against a flat Earth.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »
I would consider the fact that the weight experiments were not done in vacuum chambers as iron clad evidence that the RE don't really have much evidence on this topic. The experiment has not advanced in 300 years. This uncontrolled experiment showing fractions of a percent differences is referenced again and again mindlessly. Taking an uncalibrated scale from one location to another and finding patterns close to the equator? Really?

In the future when additional and better experiments are conducted we will find that there are no variations by latitude, like it was discovered for time dilation.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 02:27:13 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2019, 02:27:04 PM »
I would consider the fact that the weight experiments were not done in vacuum chambers as iron clad evidence that the RE don't really have much evidence on this topic. The experiment has not advanced in 300 years. This horrid uncontrolled experiment showing fractions of a percent differences is referenced again and again mindlessly.

In the future when additional and better experiments are conducted we will find that there are no variations by latitude, like it was discovered for time dilation.
And do you know what experiments have been done in universities, have you tried to find out?  This from someone who claims the earth is flat, but cannot describe how to make a map.

« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2019, 03:09:09 PM »
I would consider the fact that the weight experiments were not done in vacuum chambers as iron clad evidence that the RE don't really have much evidence on this topic.
I would consider your continual appeal to vacuum chambers as iron clad evidence you have no rational objection, even though a semi-objection has already been provided for you.
The atmosphere would not have a significant enough affect to cause the variations observed.
This has been explained repeatedly, yet you ignore it and just repeat the same nonsense.
Why?

You also completely ignore the use of absolute gravimeters.

Why bother with putting scales in a vacuum and deal with the issue of numerous pressurisation-depressurisation cycles which could potentially damage the electronics rather than just using an absolute gravimeter?

If you want to demand such better experiments, go carry them out yourself.
Go and take your scale and use it at various locations in a vacuum.
But make sure you calibrate based upon weight, not mass.
It is pointless to calibrate a scale to a reference mass when you are trying to see if the weight varies around the world.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »
the variation in acceleration around Earth is not iron-clad proof that Earth would tear itself apart
Precisely, which is what I have been trying to explain to the OP despite all his lengthy assertions that he has somehow succeeded in his effort disprove UA and his subsequent attempt to shift the burden of proof over to me to somehow prove UA when it isn't mine to begin with.

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »
But why?

ya but why?
EMC^2,
why?

That is a toughie. There are actually a few possible answers. Mass has certain properties and it's those properties that define mass. However, it is distinctly possible that one or more of those properties could be the CAUSE of mass. One of those is the curvature of space-time. There is a chance that my statement is reversed; that distortions in space-time CAUSE mass. The idea is that due to the strength of the forces that hold atoms together, they resist the general expansion of space-time. That resistance causes distortions based on the strength of the forces in those atoms and the distortions they cause in response cause the phenomenon we know as mass.

...maybe.
Nullius in Verba

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2019, 04:24:41 PM »
I would consider your continual appeal to vacuum chambers as iron clad evidence you have no rational objection, even though a semi-objection has already been provided for you.
The atmosphere would not have a significant enough affect to cause the variations observed.
This has been explained repeatedly, yet you ignore it and just repeat the same nonsense.
Why?

Simply because you are incorrect. Scales do vary far greater than a fraction of one percent when left uncalibrated. Easily seen on a bathroom scale.

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/can-i-trust-my-bathroom-scale/

“ A dietician who weighed herself 15 times over the course of a day found that she’d “gained” seven pounds. ”
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 04:31:15 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2019, 04:33:55 PM »
Because you are obviously wrong.
If I was, you would have been able to object to the argument I had provided by actually referencing it and going through it, rather than just spamming links and repeating the same false statement.

Your comparison to a person doing various things throughout the day and having their weight fluctuate is in no way relevant.
You complain about lack of controls and then use a system known for significant variation from a number of factors.
To make it even worse she clearly isn't even wearing the same clothes each time.
The weight of clothes alone would explain a large amount of that apparent variation.

If you wanted that to be meaningful at all you need to weigh a test mass, which will not vary in mass, rather than a human, who is eating, and drinking and excreting waste (including be exhaling) and changing their clothes.

So no, I'm not obviously wrong.

Stash

« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2019, 04:39:54 PM »
Why?

Simply because you are incorrect. Scales do vary far greater than a fraction of one percent when left uncalibrated. Easily seen on a bathroom scale.

“ A dietician who weighed herself 15 times over the course of a day found that she’d “gained” seven pounds. ”

What do dieticians and bathroom scales have to do with anything?

In any case, leave it to the crazy Canadians to have their weights and measurements folks be mindful of their weights and measurements. From the Canadian Government:

"Calculate gravity tolerance for scales

The gravity tolerance application calculates the change in gravity between two locations in Canada. This helps you find out whether a non-automatic weighing device can be inspected in one geographic location in Canada, and then put into service in another without requiring readjustment. The application works by calculating the change in gravity percentage and other calibration information. The gravity data generated by the application is provided by Natural Resources Canada's geodetic reference systems."

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/eng/lm04890.html
No. That sudden lurch forwards is the atmospheric slosh effect.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »
Why?

Because you are clearly wrong. Scales do vary far greater than a fraction of a percent when left uncalibrated. Easily seen on a bathroom scale.

Stop your silly jokes about bathroom scales!

They have nothing to do with precision absolute gravimeters which do measure the acceleration due to gravity by measuring the fall time of a weight in a vacuum chamber!

And if “A dietician who weighed herself 15 times over the course of a day found that she’d “gained” seven pounds.” I'd suggest that:
  • She had a very shonky set of scales.
  • That variation in measured weight could have nothing to do with atmospheric pressurs.
  • Nobody would seriously measure the acceleration due to gravity using bathroom scales ::)!
  • Atmospheric pressure has a very small effect on the calibration of precision scales anyway.

Wolfie6020 and Critical Think both used precision scales (not your kitchen type) and rechecked calibrationback at the starting location.

Then Critical Think did a careful error analysis of his reults, then compared his results with what would be expected on a rotating Globe.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2019, 05:05:16 PM »
Your comparison to a person doing various things throughout the day and having their weight fluctuate is in no way relevant.
You complain about lack of controls and then use a system known for significant variation from a number of factors.
To make it even worse she clearly isn't even wearing the same clothes each time.
The weight of clothes alone would explain a large amount of that apparent variation.

The scale increased a pound in an hour, and she said that she didn't eat anything. The next hour she increased another pound. She was changing outfits by the hour? Interesting, but possible.

Wolfie6020 and Critical Think both used precision scales (not your kitchen type) and rechecked calibrationback at the starting location.

Funny, but in the EU if a scale is not calibrated before use after repositioning then it is not a legitimate measurement device. From a precision scale manual we see:

https://www.soehnle-professional.com/documents/all/406/Manual_9437_EN.pdf

Then Critical Think did a careful error analysis of his reults, then compared his results with what would be expected on a rotating Globe

The nature of the Earth was changed to better explain the results of these experiments:

https://books.google.com/books?id=BYfyCwAAQBAJ&lpg=PT2897&dq=weight%20equator%20experiment&pg=PT2897#v=onepage&q&f=false

“ The celebrated Huygens, by calculating centrifugal forces, had proved that the consequent diminution of weight on the surface of a sphere was not great enough to explain the phenomenon, and that therefore the earth must be a spheroid flattened at the poles. ”

The theory was changed to fit the result, giving us a round world with flattened poles. The ability to change a theory to meet the results exists as a fudge factor. It cannot be claimed that the observation met theory. The theory was adjusted to meet observation.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:30:38 PM by Tom Bishop »

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2019, 05:42:37 PM »
The theory was changed to fit the result, giving us a round world with flattened poles. The ability to change a theory to meet the results exists as a fudge factor. It cannot be claimed that the observation met theory. The theory was adjusted to meet observation.

No shit. That's called the Scientific Method.
Nullius in Verba

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2019, 05:45:16 PM »
The scale increased a pound in an hour, and she said that she didn't eat anything. The next hour she increased another pound. She was changing outfits by the hour? Interesting, but possible.
So what? She was probably using crappy scales but I still fail to see any relevance.

Quote from: Tom Bishop

Funny, but in the EU if a scale is not calibrated before use it is not a legitimate measurement device.
No, it's not "funny" at all. It simply means that you simply do not understand what Wolfie6020 and Critical Think were measuring.

They were not measuring whether the mass had changed but measuring whether the weight had changed.
Scales of that type do not measure mass but only weight and can only be used to measure mass accurately by calibration with a standard mass.

That is why Wolfie6020 and Critical Think could not check the scale calibration until they returned to their respective initial locations.

But they were not attempting to do "scientific class measurements" but simply verifying what is already well known.

<< There's no need. I'm quite aware of all that as I'm sure  Wolfie6020 and Critical Think are. >>

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2019, 09:58:21 PM »
It is also "known" that precision scales are greatly affected by their environments.

https://bitesizebio.com/33245/drift-measurements-analytical-balances/

Drift in Measurements with Analytical Balances

" Pharmaceutical laboratories and bioscience research institutes make extensive use of analytical balances that are highly sensitive. These analytical balances are greatly affected by their environment and also by the way they are installed and handled. "

The people you cited failed to control for the environment. The experiment is still using ancient methodologies despite modern technology. Did they not know that weighing devices are affected by environment? Not disclosing such information can only be described as deception or ignorance, and I suspect that they are smart enough to figure eout that bringing a scale into another environment might affect the result.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 10:02:11 PM by Tom Bishop »

Stash

« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2019, 11:02:35 PM »
It is also "known" that precision scales are greatly affected by their environments.

" Pharmaceutical laboratories and bioscience research institutes make extensive use of analytical balances that are highly sensitive. These analytical balances are greatly affected by their environment and also by the way they are installed and handled. "

The people you cited failed to control for the environment. The experiment is still using ancient methodologies despite modern technology. Did they not know that weighing devices are affected by environment? Not disclosing such information can only be described as deception or ignorance, and I suspect that they are smart enough to figure eout that bringing a scale into another environment might affect the result.

Sure, analytical balances are highly sensitive. This from a purveyor of analytical balances:

“Why do I have to calibrate my balance? Wasn’t it done at the factory?”

This question frequently comes up when a customer receives a balance and is instructed by the operator's manual to calibrate it before use. There are many reasons a balance may need to be calibrated:

- Disturbances during shipping may cause minor changes to the mechanics
    - Temperature changes can affect calibration
    - Some users may use weights that are slightly different from those used at the factory
    - The location may have a different gravitational force than the factory.

The least understood of these reasons is due to the imperfect shape of our planet. Gravity is not the same everywhere on Earth. This is important because balances do not measure mass, instead, they measure the force of gravity pulling the mass towards the center of the Earth.

During calibration a previously determined weight is used to set the balance's parameters and thus guaranteeing its accuracy. For example, when a 1 kilogram mass (the standard) is placed on a balance, its force will read as 1000g. Then any other weight that is put on the balance will be measured against this standard. If it has half the mass it will have half the force on the balance and it will read half

If this balance is moved to a place where the gravity is different, it will display a different value as the force will be different. This is what happens as you move around the world."

https://www.coleparmer.com/tech-article/balance-calibration

So I think it's best to accept the fact that there are variations in gravity and stop charging down this track trying to prove there isn't. Figure out a way that UA absorbs that fact and go from there. I could scour the web and produce a million quotes about how precision scales are calibrated with gravity measurements in mind. Your time is better spent sorting out UA rather than attacking facts.
No. That sudden lurch forwards is the atmospheric slosh effect.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2019, 11:11:39 PM »

You claim that, "It is also "known" that precision scales are greatly affected by their environments.
And then quote from Drift in Measurements with Analytical Balances
Which talks about millionth of a gram measurements.

Don't you know the difference between "precision scales" and "analytical balances"?
And "analytical balances" could not be used to perform the same type of experiment.

And  I suspect that they are far smarter than you at doing this sort of thing.
Especially as Critical Think did do an error analysis to ascertain the probability that his measurements were the result of random variation or really due to the rotation of the earth.

What do you mean by "still using ancient methodologies despite modern technology"?
Have you the slightest idea of the technology in modern precision scales? There's no "ancient methodologies" in them.

You have yet to show that those scale are affected by environment enough to  be significant.

In any case they both returned to base to check the calibration there.

« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2019, 12:06:08 AM »
I would consider the fact that the weight experiments were not done in vacuum chambers as iron clad evidence that the RE don't really have much evidence on this topic. The experiment has not advanced in 300 years. This uncontrolled experiment showing fractions of a percent differences is referenced again and again mindlessly. Taking an uncalibrated scale from one location to another and finding patterns close to the equator? Really?

Do you think  constantly quoting yourself lends any weight to your argument calibrated or not!
Why is it you never publish the results of your own experiments?
Why is it your wiki is full of nothing more than fabricated negativity rather than your own research?
Why is it your wiki doesn’t use flat earth maps? Or do you agree that the maps you are using are valid?
Normally when someone chooses to contradict accepted  scientific principles one does it with corroborated data. Why is it you use nothing more than empty words that carry no weight whatsoever.
The problem is Tom you are denying the truth and refusing to accept simple reality.
Gravity in Death Valley is higher than that at the top f Mammoth pass. Or to put it another way take any place on the earth that has a reasonable difference in elevation and do an experiment. The only thing stopping you Tom is the answer you will get.