Flat earth observations/experiments

• 59 Replies
?

alex314

• Truth, knowledge and science.
Flat earth observations/experiments
« on: July 16, 2019, 11:01:11 PM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

in this thread I would like you to describe any experiment/observation you have made yourself that shows evidence of a flat earth. Please describe your experiment/observation in detail, and why you think it shows an inconsistency to the 'globe model'.

Thank you

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
Re: Flat earth observations/experiments
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 11:11:24 PM »
what's the reward for we doing this?
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

?

alex314

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 11:13:49 PM »

You don't need to reply to my question if you do not want to.

However, I am always happy to answer questions about astronomy, science, physics and mathematics.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 11:52:50 PM »

You don't need to reply to my question if you do not want to.

However, I am always happy to answer questions about astronomy, science, physics and mathematics.

This is not about whether we want to. it's more about what you really want to do about it. for example, if I answer you and my answer is criticized by 5 people, what will be your reaction? Do you say to these people, "No, I'm the one who should respond to him, don't disrespect me; or will you watch in a corner by chuckling."
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

?

alex314

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 11:56:20 PM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

in this thread I would like you to describe any experiment/observation you have made yourself that shows evidence of a flat earth. Please describe your experiment/observation in detail, and why you think it shows an inconsistency to the 'globe model'.

Thank you

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 01:45:21 AM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

Thank you

Well, it's simple - there aren't any so you will not get any answers ...

?

alex314

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 04:48:54 AM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

Thank you

Is it true? No flat earther who can reply to my original post?

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 07:44:40 AM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

Thank you

Don't mistake "can" with "cares to." It's very unlikely that no FE can reply to your post. You aren't owed an answer, though. Especially given the fact that you have flat-out ignored answers to questions posed in previous threads of yours.

?

alex314

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 09:43:25 PM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

Thank you

Don't mistake "can" with "cares to." It's very unlikely that no FE can reply to your post. You aren't owed an answer, though. Especially given the fact that you have flat-out ignored answers to questions posed in previous threads of yours.

I never ignore answers! Show me where I ignore an answer to my question!

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 04:52:43 AM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

Thank you

I never ignore answers! Show me where I ignore an answer to my question!
No one here owes you anything, and your dishonest way of conducting yourself isn't going to get a lot of people to dance for you.

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

Thank you

There are very few experiments documented by flat earthers. The only ones I have come across are jumping off a chair or throwing a ball to prove UA, how both these ‘experiments’ prove UA I’m nor exactly sure, but as UA is not really supported on this forum I suppose they don’t count.

From reading quite a bit of output from flat earth believers they are not big on experiments to support their own beliefs rather they are more into looking for what they consider ‘flaws’ in conventional science. It is these ‘flaws’ that they use to support what they believe.
For example; there are quite a few grey and hazy areas associated with gravity, a fact that is undeniable, however they use this knowledge gap as some kind of proof for their own beliefs and as ‘proof’ gravity doesn’t exist.

This coupled with their belief in a global conspiracy is what they use to justify their stance on all flat earth beliefs.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 07:12:08 PM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

Thank you

There are very few experiments documented by flat earthers. The only ones I have come across are jumping off a chair or throwing a ball to prove UA, how both these ‘experiments’ prove UA I’m nor exactly sure, but as UA is not really supported on this forum I suppose they don’t count.

From reading quite a bit of output from flat earth believers they are not big on experiments to support their own beliefs rather they are more into looking for what they consider ‘flaws’ in conventional science. It is these ‘flaws’ that they use to support what they believe.
For example; there are quite a few grey and hazy areas associated with gravity, a fact that is undeniable, however they use this knowledge gap as some kind of proof for their own beliefs and as ‘proof’ gravity doesn’t exist.

This coupled with their belief in a global conspiracy is what they use to justify their stance on all flat earth beliefs.
Come on! Give credit where credit is due ::):
One of the few actual "measurements" done by Flat Earthers is where Sandokhan looked at a photo of a solar eclipse in Antarctica and wrote:
Quote from: sandokhan
Distance from the Earth to the Moon ? Ham Radio vs. Flat Earth Measurements. « Reply #136 on: May 08, 2013, 01:50:37 AM »
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A single photograph is enough to shatter any RE illusions:

(Fred Bruenjes, Antarctica, 2003)
No 384,000 km between the Moon and the Earth, not by a long shot.

The Moon and Sun both orbit at an altitude of some 15 km above the Earth.

And Rowbotham did a "real True Distance of the Sun" measurement. (See the link for details of how it was done.)
Quote from: Samuel Birley Rowbotham
CHAPTER V. THE TRUE DISTANCE OF THE SUN.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
so that it is perfectly safe to affirm that the under edge of the sun is considerably less than 700 statute miles above the earth.
From Zetetic Astronomy, by Samuel Birley Rowbotham, CHAPTER V. THE TRUE DISTANCE OF THE SUN.
Note that Rowbotham claims "that it is perfectly safe to affirm that the under edge of the sun is considerably less than 700 statute miles above the earth".

Then around 1899, Thomas Winship, author of Zetetic Cosmogony makes some assumptions based on Globe measurements.
He then provides a calculation demonstrating that the sun can be computed to be relatively close to the earth's surface if one assumes that the earth is flat:
On March 21-22 the sun is directly overhead at the equator and appears 45 degrees above the horizon at 45 degrees north and south latitude. As the angle of sun above the earth at the equator is 90 degrees while it is 45 degrees at 45 degrees north or south latitude, it follows that the angle at the sun between the vertical from the horizon and the line from the observers at 45 degrees north and south must also be 45 degrees. The result is two right angled triangles with legs of equal length. The distance between the equator and the points at 45 degrees north or south is approximately 3,000 miles. Ergo, the sun would be an equal distance above the equator.
This is illustrated in this diagram from Modern Mechanics - Oct, 1931:

Voliva's Flat Earth Sun Distance.
This is also shown in the TFES.org Wiki under Distance to the Sun under the section Sun's Distance - Modern Mechanics.

Then we have
Quote from: The Flat Earth Society Wiki
Eratosthenes on Distance of the Sun
Eratosthenes' stick experiment can not only tell us about the size of the earth, but can also be used to compute the distance to the sun as well.

In his experiment, Eratosthenes assumes that the earth is a globe and that the sun is very far away in his computations for the size of the earth and the distance to the sun. However, if we use his data with the assumption that the earth is flat we can come up with a wildly different calculation for the distance of the sun, showing it to be close to the earth. The sun changes its distance depending on the model of the earth we assume for the experiment.
Eratosthenes noted that the sun was overhead in Cyene (modern Aswan) but cast a shadow at an angle of one-fiftieth part of a circle (or 7.2°) at Alexandria, 800 km North, the modern value.
Using these values the sun's height above the earth comes out to 800/tan(7.2°) or 6333 km (3936 miles)

See, we have some flat earth measurements of the height of the sun above the earth:
  • Sandokhan: 15 km or 9.3 miles.
  • Rowbotham: not more than 700 statute miles (1130 km).
  • Thomas Winship/Voliva: approximately 3000 miles (4800 km).
  • Eratosthenes' "stick experiment": 6333 km (3936 miles).
Take your pick.

I've said elsewhere that it's a pity that flat earthers didn't really understand perspective, physics and astronomy - but if they did there probably wouldn't be any flat earthers.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 02:11:49 PM »
IMO if a flat Earther ever went to sea, observed that he could not see more than a few miles to the horizon and observed how things come into view as they come over the horizon or pass out of view as they go over the horizon he would be observing one of the most usual  and obvious  observances or evidences of the curvature of the earth. But I have yet to hear of any flat Earther ever doing this and giving an honest report of what he observed .

But if they did there probably wouldn't be any flat earthers .
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:48:30 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 02:34:05 PM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

Thank you

Come on! Give credit where credit is due ::):
One of the few actual "measurements" done by Flat Earthers is where Sandokhan looked at a photo of a solar eclipse in Antarctica and wrote:
Quote from: sandokhan
Distance from the Earth to the Moon ? Ham Radio vs. Flat Earth Measurements. « Reply #136 on: May 08, 2013, 01:50:37 AM »
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A single photograph is enough to shatter any RE illusions:

(Fred Bruenjes, Antarctica, 2003)
No 384,000 km between the Moon and the Earth, not by a long shot.

The Moon and Sun both orbit at an altitude of some 15 km above the Earth.

And Rowbotham did a "real True Distance of the Sun" measurement. (See the link for details of how it was done.)
Quote from: Samuel Birley Rowbotham
CHAPTER V. THE TRUE DISTANCE OF THE SUN.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
so that it is perfectly safe to affirm that the under edge of the sun is considerably less than 700 statute miles above the earth.
From Zetetic Astronomy, by Samuel Birley Rowbotham, CHAPTER V. THE TRUE DISTANCE OF THE SUN.
Note that Rowbotham claims "that it is perfectly safe to affirm that the under edge of the sun is considerably less than 700 statute miles above the earth".

Then around 1899, Thomas Winship, author of Zetetic Cosmogony makes some assumptions based on Globe measurements.
He then provides a calculation demonstrating that the sun can be computed to be relatively close to the earth's surface if one assumes that the earth is flat:
On March 21-22 the sun is directly overhead at the equator and appears 45 degrees above the horizon at 45 degrees north and south latitude. As the angle of sun above the earth at the equator is 90 degrees while it is 45 degrees at 45 degrees north or south latitude, it follows that the angle at the sun between the vertical from the horizon and the line from the observers at 45 degrees north and south must also be 45 degrees. The result is two right angled triangles with legs of equal length. The distance between the equator and the points at 45 degrees north or south is approximately 3,000 miles. Ergo, the sun would be an equal distance above the equator.
This is illustrated in this diagram from Modern Mechanics - Oct, 1931:

Voliva's Flat Earth Sun Distance.
This is also shown in the TFES.org Wiki under Distance to the Sun under the section Sun's Distance - Modern Mechanics.

Then we have
Quote from: The Flat Earth Society Wiki
Eratosthenes on Distance of the Sun
Eratosthenes' stick experiment can not only tell us about the size of the earth, but can also be used to compute the distance to the sun as well.

In his experiment, Eratosthenes assumes that the earth is a globe and that the sun is very far away in his computations for the size of the earth and the distance to the sun. However, if we use his data with the assumption that the earth is flat we can come up with a wildly different calculation for the distance of the sun, showing it to be close to the earth. The sun changes its distance depending on the model of the earth we assume for the experiment.
Eratosthenes noted that the sun was overhead in Cyene (modern Aswan) but cast a shadow at an angle of one-fiftieth part of a circle (or 7.2°) at Alexandria, 800 km North, the modern value.
Using these values the sun's height above the earth comes out to 800/tan(7.2°) or 6333 km (3936 miles)

See, we have some flat earth measurements of the height of the sun above the earth:
  • Sandokhan: 15 km or 9.3 miles.
  • Rowbotham: not more than 700 statute miles (1130 km).
  • Thomas Winship/Voliva: approximately 3000 miles (4800 km).
  • Eratosthenes' "stick experiment": 6333 km (3936 miles).
Take your pick.

I've said elsewhere that it's a pity that flat earthers didn't really understand perspective, physics and astronomy - but if they did there probably wouldn't be any flat earthers.

There are of course experiments and experiments. Just because someone says they have carried out an experiment does not make it valid, case in point the experiment that allegedly proved cold fusion. For an experiment to be valid it has to be repeatable.

One of the main beliefs on this site is that of the infinite plane. As far as I know, there are no experiments or observations that back this up, it just appears to be a belief based on  a belief.

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 02:57:52 PM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

Thank you

I walk out of my house and observed the line between Earth and sky.  It was eye level and did not bend down from center on the left nor the right. I then drove to the beach and observed the same. I did not observe a curvizon because no curve was observed but I did observed a horizon; a word used in the English language to describe a straight line. .

I did notice that the buoy off in a distance was not visible at the time because of the science of heat and humidity, but it is always clearly seen in the mornings. I was not naive to think Earth curves in the afternoon.

I took a plane flight and noticed a horizon and it was still at eye level, but it should have been lower if it were a curvizon.  Observation is good science.

I saw nothing that indicated I lived on a sphere.

I am not one who follows the narrative of main stream.  If I was, I would believe trump is a bad orange man, democrats are good, multiple genders, global warming, Islam is a peaceful religion and other nonsense and hoaxes spread through media.

Now, please tell me what have you observed daily that would indicate you live on a sphere? Please tell me so I can observe them too. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:59:37 PM by Plat Terra »
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Macarios

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 03:54:17 PM »
... the line between Earth and sky.  It was eye level...

You don't have to trust the video.
It is cheap to make rig like this and see for yourself if the horizon "stays at the eye level".

I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Plat Terra

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 04:37:46 PM »

Your don't have to trust the video.
It is cheap to make rig like this and see for yourself if the horizon "stays at the eye level".

Your buddy is leaving out an important issue, “Science” and perspective.  Earth has an infinite plane and at some point the horizon is going to be obscured with atmospheric bleeds (so to speak) . If your buddy did his experiment at different times of the year and day he would see the horizon would vary according to weather conditions. 

If your guy used this technology the horizon would be viewed at a higher point to the viewer.

Epic 500 mile visibility in Infrared from 31000 ft. Astounding and Shocking Flat Earth Phenomenon!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:23:45 PM by Plat Terra »
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 05:33:43 PM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

Thank you

I think it is just common courtesy that any question is owed an answer.
I have found that the reason that you don't get answers is simply that there are none and flat earthers will not admit this so you never get a flat  Earth answer to a flat Earth question.
And also you don't get answers is simply because the earth isn't flat.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 07:03:44 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 05:45:47 PM »

Your buddy is leaving out an important issue, “Science” and perspective.  Earth has an infinite plane and at some point the horizon is going to be obscured with atmospheric bleeds (so to speak) . If your buddy did his experiment at different times of the year and day he would see the horizon would vary according to weather conditions. 

If your guy used this technology the horizon would be viewed at a higher point to the viewer.

Epic 500 mile visibility in Infrared from 31000 ft. Astounding and Shocking Flat Earth Phenomenon!

Observing the horizon is best done at sea on clear calm days.
Then you can make a close estimate as to how far you can you can see to the horizon and observing ships and land passing in and out of view as mentioned in previous posts.
However it is an elementary fact that there is curvature of the earth because the earth is a globe.
I think one of the best things flat earthers could do would be for the flat Earther to talk to someone in the Navy or someone involved in oceanic travels about flat Earth -vs- round earth

Chorus:

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 05:51:03 PM »
Hello Flat Earthers,

Thank you

I think it is just common courtesy that any question is owed an answer.
I have found that the reason that you don't get answers is simply that there are none and flat earthers will not admit this so you ever get a flat  Earth answer to a flat Earth question.
And also you don't get answers is simply because the earth isn't flat.
Someone that has made it a point to ignore answers while continuing to demand further answers to questions, as this alex character has done, has already demonstrated that they won't reciprocate on any sort of common courtesy. The rest of your post is a low content attack and has nothing to do with the OP.

Plat Terra

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 05:56:30 PM »

Then you can make a close estimate as to how far you can you can see to the horizon and observing ships and land passing in and out of view as mentioned in previous posts.
However it is an elementary fact that there is curvature of the earth because the earth is a globe.
I think one of the best things flat earthers could do would be for the flat Earther to talk to someone in the Navy or someone involved in oceanic travels about flat Earth -vs- round earth

Oh yea, we Flat Earthers never been in the Navy nor have a spouse that has or sailed the oceans. I am sure if we did they would disagree with you.

And, I am amazed you guys think a Mariner's Compass can work at a tilt beyond 15° to north. Try it where you stand.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:01:20 PM by Plat Terra »

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 06:24:36 PM »
Oh yea, we Flat Earthers never been in the Navy nor have a spouse that has or sailed the oceans. I am sure if we did they would disagree with you.

Dig up someone who has sailed the seas and ask them what they use to navigate and report back. Looking forward to your results.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 06:36:42 PM »

And, I am amazed you guys think a Mariner's Compass can work at a tilt beyond 15° to north. Try it where you stand.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 07:30:59 PM »

Really?
Numerous videos I see show the horizon well below eye-level (the local horizontal).

Flat Earth Fail - The Horizon Does Not Rise to Eye Level by Flat Earth Dogma

Does the Horizon Always Stay at “Eye Level” by Bobby Shafto
I find the background music annoying!

Flat Earth - Surveyor's instrument confirms the Horizon does NOT rise to eye level by Wolfie6020

And you can test it with mountain peaks too:

The flat earth horizon & eye level: it's time you heard the truth by Rory

And sailors doing celestial navigation must allow a "dip correction" or there position fixes will be wrong!

FLAT EARTH: The visible horizon drops below eye level at altitude. Celestial Navigation. by Andy Woof
This has been known about for centuries.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 07:34:44 PM »

Dig up someone who has sailed the seas and ask them what they use to navigate and report back. Looking forward to your results.
The best suggestion I could suggest to you would be for you to talk to an old QMC ( Quartermaster , Chief Petty Officer) in the Navy about the horizon. You might learn something...And report back what you learned . Wishing you good luck if you can find a QMC to talk with you.   :-)
Doesn't  matter whose country's Navy they might be in. Any QMC in any country's Navy  has had a lot of experience in observing horizons.  Those  QMC's are the equivalent of " Top Sarge " in the Army and they really know their business !
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 07:46:58 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Macarios

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2019, 10:28:12 PM »

Are you sure the limitations in visibility comes from the limitations through fluids?
If it was, then we would have situation like this:

The "WRONG" means that the refraction extends the visibility beyond the thoretical horizon, not shorten it like he tried to present.
The refraction, except in cases of inferior mirage, bends light around (behind) the curve so it can reach our eyes from farther landscapes.

Infrared light is light and light gets refracted whether it was visible to us or not.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:47:55 PM by Macarios »
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Plat Terra

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »

Really?
Numerous videos I see show the horizon well below eye-level (the local horizontal).

Flat Earth Fail - The Horizon Does Not Rise to Eye Level by Flat Earth Dogma

Does the Horizon Always Stay at “Eye Level” by Bobby Shafto
I find the background music annoying!

Flat Earth - Surveyor's instrument confirms the Horizon does NOT rise to eye level by Wolfie6020

And you can test it with mountain peaks too:

The flat earth horizon & eye level: it's time you heard the truth by Rory

And sailors doing celestial navigation must allow a "dip correction" or there position fixes will be wrong!

FLAT EARTH: The visible horizon drops below eye level at altitude. Celestial Navigation. by Andy Woof
This has been known about for centuries.

Notice the red bull jumper's view to the flat horizon as he sits in the chair and he's above the atmosphere at 128,000'. No one looks down to see the horizon on this Earth. However, one can appear to be looking down when the view is skewed through the beloved fisheye lens.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:39:59 AM by Plat Terra »

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 08:49:05 AM »
Inescapable fact: The Earth (globe), is really big!
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

Plat Terra

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 09:35:16 AM »

No, it's not very big. There is a 6' drop in curvature just three miles out and a 266' drop in curvature at 20 miles out and so on. Right? And you wonder why the surface of a sphere can flood. Hmm

It's a itty bitty Earth.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2019, 03:38:56 PM »

No, it's not very big. There is a 6' drop in curvature just three miles out and a 266' drop in curvature at 20 miles out and so on. Right? And you wonder why the surface of a sphere can flood. Hmm

It's a itty bitty Earth.

How itty bitty? Could you be a little bit more 'sciency' with your commentary and maybe base it on something?

Maybe start with the size of your flat earth. What is the diameter?