?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
PROOF THAT THE EARTH IS ROUND
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2007, 10:00:45 PM »
Quote from: "Kevin."
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Way to avoid his lunar eclipse question.

I don't know what came over me.  Normally I love it when people bring up totally unrelated crap in a thread.
So you're saying that
Oh, and how does FE explain Lunar Eclipses
Is COMPLETLY unrelated to this thread, tittled "PROOF THAT THE EARTH IS ROUND"?

Yes.  The topic is PROOF THAT THE EARTH IS ROUND, not LUNAR ECLISPES PROVE FE WRONG.

Van Allen, why did you yell your topic?

« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2007, 12:26:21 AM »
Quote from: "GeoGuy"

Read Earth not a Globe.

So... you're asking me to do a search for an obscure book that I'd end up having to purchase from an online store that may or may not have reliable security, wait for it to arrive at my house, then read the only one passage, all because you're too lazy to sum it up yourself?

Obviously you've read the book, and obviously it explains how a lunar eclipse works on a flat earth, otherwise you'd be making a total ass of yourself by implying as much, so why not just tell me?

And maybe you could throw in an explanation for why this book has never been mentioned the other 150 times people have asked about lunar eclipses on this board in the past 6 months?

Oh, and Erasmus, this has been discussed before. While the setup is too much for just ANY person to perform in their free time, with a moderate amount of time and money, it is very easy to demonstrate that there is a force that attracts objects to one another. Gravity explains this, UA doesn't. Can UA explain anything that gravity can't?

Another problem with FE is that for every one RE law or theory, there need to be several un-experimentable FE hypotheses. Gravity explains dozens and dozens of observable forces and interactions, while FE has to come up with something different for almost each one.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2007, 12:29:58 AM »
There is a link in the FAQ to the book.  But you knew that, as you read the FAQ before your first post.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2007, 12:57:11 AM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"
There is a link in the FAQ to the book.  But you knew that, as you read the FAQ before your first post.

Yes, 7 months ago. I had brain surgery, my memory isn't what it used to be.

So I looked over it.

Problem 1: He doesn't approach things scientifically. The "Zetetic Method" is crap. Picking and choosing theories which arose from the Scientific Method that you agree with is just as ridiculous as picking and choosing passages from The Bible to take literally or figuratively simply because it suits your own preconceived notions.

Science has an open mind, science changes, science accepts new facts, especially if it flies in the face of long-held beliefs. Rowbothom was a close-minded crackpot who eschewed any reasoning that didn't give him the answer he wanted from when he formed his "hypothesis".

If a scientist believed Earth was round and set out to find what caused lunar eclipses, and at one point came upon the possibility that the sun was casting Earth's shadow on the moon, he wouldn't dismiss it outright and call it absurd, he'd consider it... He may later dismiss it if he's not a very good scientist, but dismissing it immediately is not something a scientist would do because it's not something an intelligent person would do. That's the sign of an idiot. Same as the idiots who come here refusing to accept FEism, before they read any of your ridiculous, outlandish, preposterous, obnoxious, imbecilic, and flat-out crazy rants, thoughts, hypotheses and half-baked notions.

Problem 2: It doesn't explain how one part of the Earth sees an eclipsed moon while another part sees an ordinary moon at all, let alone give a plausible explanation for any other facet of the phenomenon.

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2007, 05:54:31 AM »
Gravity is created by objects with a large mass. The object actualy bends space making a dent.

Here is the only way to picture what gravity does.

get four people to hold a corner of a sheet tight. Place a ball on the sheet see how it bends the sheet. Then place a smaller ball on the sheet, it rolls toward the larger ball. the more mass the ball has the more it dents the sheet, the more gravity. The sheet is like space and the ball bends it like a planet does.
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

midgard

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2007, 06:20:38 AM »
Why has anybody bothered posting in this thread? It's obvious the thread starter is a member of the conspiracy. Why else would he be so opposed to the use of conspiracy as an arugment?!

/end thread

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2007, 09:20:58 AM »
Quote from: "EnCrypto"
Quote from: "GeoGuy"

Read Earth not a Globe.

So... you're asking me to do a search for an obscure book that I'd end up having to purchase from an online store that may or may not have reliable security, wait for it to arrive at my house, then read the only one passage, all because you're too lazy to sum it up yourself?

This makes it obvious that you didn't read the FAQ.  You can read the book online here.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2007, 09:59:56 AM »
Quote from: "astronomy101"
Gravity is created by objects with a large mass. The object actualy bends space making a dent.

Here is the only way to picture what gravity does.

get four people to hold a corner of a sheet tight. Place a ball on the sheet see how it bends the sheet. Then place a smaller ball on the sheet, it rolls toward the larger ball. the more mass the ball has the more it dents the sheet, the more gravity. The sheet is like space and the ball bends it like a planet does.

Yes, we all know what 'gravity' does.  We are asking how it does it.  The whole ball on a sheet example is flawed, as it requires the earth's 'gravity' for the demonstration.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2007, 11:45:32 AM »
Quote from: "BOGWarrior89"
This makes it obvious that you didn't read the FAQ.  You can read the book online here.

You're late to the game, Skip. Better luck next time.
Yes, we all know what 'gravity' does.  We are asking how it does it.  The whole ball on a sheet example is flawed, as it requires the earth's 'gravity' for the demonstration.

How does the Universal Accelerator do what it does?

Also, here's yet another flaw in the conspiracy argument. If Earth were flat, that would be some of the strongest evidence that God exists, what with three disc (or "floating island") shaped objects in a universe populated solely by spheres, two of which somehow emit light (one hot, the other cold). So in addition to asking us to believe that hundreds of millions of people have been keeping their mouths shut for thousands of years about this conspiracy, you're also asking that all of the powerful religious zealots were either faking being zealots and don't care about proving the existence of their God, or were true zealots but the nothing they get in return for keeping the secret is enough and they don't care about converting anyone.

And did I mention how silly/offensive/ricockulous it is to suggest that hundreds of millions of humans (creatures famous for speaking out loudly, without inhibition or regard for consequences) have been keeping a lid on this for thousands of years, and going to such lengths as starting wars in which tens or hundreds of thousands are killed, just to try and convince a group of a few thousand (at most) that they'd be incapable of cooperating in a planned conspiracy?

« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2007, 06:42:24 PM »
the best one went something like

"i've been doing some calculations and i've come to the conclusion that you ar eall total wankers"
tf?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2007, 12:04:51 AM »

How does the Universal Accelerator do what it does?

How?  It provides a force on objects it is in contact with.

What's the mechanism?  I have no idea.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2007, 12:09:33 AM »

Then how is it a more viable theory than gravity?

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2007, 12:12:41 AM »
So you'd rather argue a process that you have absolutely no idea at all on how it works and believe that it works, apposed to arguing a process that has some basis and explanation to actually speak of, which was derived from years and years of study of the other nature's of the universe, and instantly say that it doesn't exist because the hypothesis into the mechanics of it have yet to be actually proven?

That has to be the most backward thinking if I ever saw it. :?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2007, 07:16:36 AM »

Then how is it a more viable theory than gravity?

It's not.  If the RE can have a magical force, why can't the FE?

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2007, 08:34:19 AM »

Expecting people to read a couple pages before their first post, isn't being
very friendly.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2007, 08:50:43 AM »
Quote from: "CharlesJohnson"
very friendly.

How isn't it? Obviously you can not debate about something if you know nothing about it.

If people did take 10 minutes to read the FAQ before posting, we would not have to refer 20 people to the FAQ a day.

« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2007, 08:54:34 AM »
Quote from: "Masterchief2219"
If people did take 10 minutes to read the FAQ before posting, we would not have to refer 20 people to the FAQ a day.

Or, if you just had more patience with them, less people would get
annoyed with you

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2007, 09:12:07 AM »

very friendly.

No.  What's not being very friendly is getting smacked around for not following some simple instructions - if we're tired of saying something, we aren't going to be happy to say it again.

« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »
Well.... not everybody is as patient as you

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2007, 09:15:48 AM »
Well.... not everybody is as patient as you

You are right, not everybody has enough patience to put up with being asked the same questions 20 times a day, every day, even though the answers can be found in the FAQ.

« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2007, 10:23:39 AM »
Quote from: "Masterchief2219"
You are right, not everybody has enough patience to put up with being asked the same questions 20 times a day, every day, even though the answers can be found in the FAQ.

Not trying to be argumentative, but if y’all refer people to the FAQ because they’re asking a question that’s y’all feel is answered there, why do y’all then insist that y’all don’t agree with what the FAQ says when someone questions you on a point that’s in the FAQ that doesn’t mesh with something you’ve just said?

I’m just wondering is all.
quote]The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane. ~ Twain[/quote]
Et tu, Bruté? ~ Shakespeare

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2007, 10:55:56 AM »
Due to questions like "How can you drive/swim/fly/walk around the earth?  If it was flat, you would fall off/need to be interdimensionally transported to the other side when you reached the end."

If people even just skimmed the FAQ, they would see that the FE is not situated like an atlas, but is a circle.

Answering this question 13 times a week gets old.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2007, 01:44:13 PM »
Due to questions like "How can you drive/swim/fly/walk around the earth?  If it was flat, you would fall off/need to be interdimensionally transported to the other side when you reached the end."

If people even just skimmed the FAQ, they would see that the FE is situated like an atlas, but is a circle.

Answering this question 13 times a week gets old.

Not that I have anything against the Bible, but that's what your FAQ reminds me of. The members of your society have abandoned free thinking in exchange for an argumentum ad verecundiam method. Who cares if the question has already been answered, indulge the RE's and bump up your post count.