Equinox Instrument

• 10 Replies

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
Equinox Instrument
« on: July 14, 2019, 09:12:15 AM »
I am making a simple instrument to determine latitude on the Equinox without measuring the shadow. Does anyone know the name of this instrument and where it can be viewed? I would like to compare it to others.

Thanks,
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Macarios

Re: Equinox Instrument
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 10:26:16 AM »
Sextant.

Using sextant, precise clock (chronometer), tables or calculator of solar declination, and calculation of Horizon Dip
you can determine you exact position (latitude and longitude).
If you are not at sea you will also use an Artificial Horizon.

At night in Northern hemisphere you measure altitude of Polaris for altitude and Big Dipper or some other well known (and available) star for longitude,
in Southern hemisphere Sigma Octantis is pretty faint, so you measure elevation and azimuth of Crux (Southern Cross), visible from January to October.

The more expirienced the navigator is, the easier they find useful star.

Recently much easier way is to use GPS receiver, but it is recommended (required) to know marine navigation with or without it.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Plat Terra

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 12:36:20 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the Sextant. Isn't there something else much less complicated and is used just for finding latitude without measuring the cast shadow?
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 01:49:04 PM »
Yes, you can tie a weighted string to a protractor.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Plat Terra

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 02:57:26 PM »

OK,  that's a nice way to do it. Simple items used together. Was there a complete unit made and manufactured just for measuring latitude? I have not been able to find one yet.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »

OK,  that's a nice way to do it. Simple items used together. Was there a complete unit made and manufactured just for measuring latitude? I have not been able to find one yet.
As Macarios already mentioned, a device that uses the sun (or other celestial body) to measure latitude is called a sextant.  The weighted string on a protractor is just a poor man's sextant.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Plat Terra

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 04:38:03 PM »

As Macarios already mentioned, a device that uses the sun (or other celestial body) to measure latitude is called a sextant.  The weighted string on a protractor is just a poor man's sextant.

Is there anything else that was made that is between the Sextant and what you posted or another method?

Macarios

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 08:50:56 PM »
Is there anything else that was made that is between the Sextant and what you posted or another method?

I googled and couldn't find.
Sorry.

That made me think: making such thing would take some time and money.
And cheap sextants on eBay are $20-30 alredy. (YouTube has lot of tutorials.)

Sextant is used to measure angles.
Another, more precise device to measure angles is theodolite.
They are more expensive.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 05:27:48 AM »

Sorry.

They are more expensive.
For use over land with no horizon for reference, I think you'd need a "Bubble Sextant" as were (and occasionally still are) used in aircraft.
I've seen the "Link A-12 Aircraft Bubble Sextant" recommended but it's overkill for this sort of thing.
I'm sure that there'd be some sort of inclinometer (digital or analogue) that could do the job - it would need something to line up on the sun added.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 06:20:06 AM »

I am making a simple instrument to determine latitude on the Equinox without measuring the shadow.

How does it work?

Macarios

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 07:20:14 AM »

Sorry.

They are more expensive.
For use over land with no horizon for reference, I think you'd need a "Bubble Sextant" as were (and occasionally still are) used in aircraft.
I've seen the "Link A-12 Aircraft Bubble Sextant" recommended but it's overkill for this sort of thing.
I'm sure that there'd be some sort of inclinometer (digital or analogue) that could do the job - it would need something to line up on the sun added.

Yes. Artificial Horizon is pretty much disturbed in a moving vehicle.

Now you got me curious, going to google on how it works.

EDIT: Found one on eBay for USD 13.19 (and shipping GBP 17 from the UK.)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 07:24:52 AM by Macarios »