Solar North Shadow Experiment

• 155 Replies

Plat Terra

• I am a Neutral Flat Earther
Solar North Shadow Experiment
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:31:25 PM »
What are your thoughts about this shadow experiment?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:42:36 PM by Plat Terra »
The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
Re: Solar North Shadow Experiment
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:40:48 PM »
What you posted is not working the way you wanted it to.

Let's start from scratch. What is it you'd like to discuss, in your own words?

Plat Terra

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:55:35 PM »
And this shadow experiment.

The Globe community is incapable of verifying Earth has the curvature calculated through experiment or claimed by anyone. They can measure a band of helium but they can’t actually measure and verify the dictated curvature of any landmass or canal. Why not?

Plat Terra

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 07:17:00 PM »
What you posted is not working the way you wanted it to.

Let's start from scratch. What is it you'd like to discuss, in your own words?

I think I got it. I was using the wrong link.  Thank you!

Heavenly Breeze

• Pegasus from Gaul
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 08:03:47 PM »
As JackBlack said, it’s enough to deploy a frame of reference, and you will understand that everything looks different. But at the same time, other interesting features of our world emerge from this.
Read this thread.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=82117.30
The earth believes, because magic exists!

Plat Terra

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 09:06:35 PM »
As JackBlack said, it’s enough to deploy a frame of reference, and you will understand that everything looks different. But at the same time, other interesting features of our world emerge from this.
Read this thread.

Real science is observable and repeatable in real time. This issue cannot be avoided by those who seek truth because the same experiment is also used to determine north and south latitude.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 10:30:02 PM »
Read this thread.

Real science is observable and repeatable in real time. This issue cannot be avoided by those who seek truth because the same experiment is also used to determine north and south latitude.

I'm confused, which experiment? The one that debunks flat earth or the one that debunks globe earth?

Macarios

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 12:45:40 AM »

For Equinox Solar noon is along the black line on that image.
Earth rotates in the direction of green line, not in the direction of the blue line.

When the Sun is above point O solar noon is not at the point A.
At the point A is 11 am.
Solar noon is at the point B, and the pole shadow points north.

Solar noon wil be at A when the Sun is above P.

I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Macarios

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 01:14:12 AM »

Several times on this forum, just before one or another equinox,
people were starting threads calling everyone to measure azimuth of sunrise and sunset.

What do you think why no Flat Earther ever responded?

Because they KNOW that in reality for Equinox:
- sun rises at azimuth of 90 degrees - due east
- sun sets at azimuth of 270 degrees - due west
wherever you are in the world.

And Flat Earthers don't know how to "explain away" those facts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the lower part of the image that you posted, those angles are heavily misrepresented.

"Morning sun" is at the position of about 9:30 am, not at 6 am.
"Evening sun" is at the position of about 2:30 pm. not at 6 pm.
(If we discard Daylight Saving.)

I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Plat Terra

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 08:03:40 AM »

For Equinox Solar noon is along the black line on that image.
Earth rotates in the direction of green line, not in the direction of the blue line.

When the Sun is above point O solar noon is not at the point A.
At the point A is 11 am.
Solar noon is at the point B, and the pole shadow points north.

Solar noon wil be at A when the Sun is above P.

I just performed another shadow experiment. With sphere Earth tilting 23.5° to the right and a pole set level on the equator and pointing directly to the light source. I found that Solar North still did not bend 23.5° to Earth’s north pole.  No shadows cast from a leaning stick placed around the set pole pointed due north on the Globe, but 23.5° away as explained in my meme.

Your thought is flawed. Shadows don’t lie. Nice try. BTW It is apparent which way the earth rotates in my meme.

Plat Terra

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »
If the alleged Globe Earth didn’t tilt, the Sun would cast a shadow due north from a set level pole (set north of the equator) every day and for everybody at solar noon. However, because of Earth's tilt and orbit orientation, it can only happen twice a year at the first day of summer and winter. And because of the tilt, at Equinox the Sun’s shadow cast in the same manner would reveal Earth’s tilt with the sun’s shadow pointing 23.5° away from Earth’s axis, but it doesn’t.

It’s amazing how such a simple thing debunks the Globe Earth fantasy.

For those who disagree, please tell me what day of the year will the Suns shadow point 23.5° away from north?  It has to because there is a tilt. It's a no brainer!

?

dutchy

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 02:02:43 PM »
If the alleged Globe Earth didn’t tilt, the Sun would cast a shadow due north from a set level pole (set north of the equator) every day and for everybody at solar noon. However, because of Earth's tilt and orbit orientation, it can only happen twice a year at the first day of summer and winter. And because of the tilt, at Equinox the Sun’s shadow cast in the same manner would reveal Earth’s tilt with the sun’s shadow pointing 23.5° away from Earth’s axis, but it doesn’t.

For those who disagree, please tell me what day of the year will the Suns shadow point 23.5° away from north?  It has to because there is a tilt. It's a no brainer!
Spot on !!

Plat Terra

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 02:28:08 PM »

Spot on !!

I believe many Flat Earthers are going to be busy on September 23rd while Rounders are crying.

Thanks!

?

frenat

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 03:02:01 PM »

Looks like nonsense.

At solar noon the Sun is as high overhead as possible and should be directly South of you (assuming you are in the Northern hemisphere). So why should the Sun, being directly South, cast a shadow 23.5 degrees off?  Doesn't matter that the Earth is tilted. the only time you'll see a shadow 23.5 degrees off would be when it is NOT solar noon for you.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 03:05:27 PM by frenat »

?

frenat

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 03:04:15 PM »

also nonsense. On the equinox the Sun rises due East for everyone and sets due West for everyone. Shadows at sunrise are not cast Southwest, they are cast to the West. Shadows at sunset are not cast southeast, they are cast East.

And yes I have verified this for myself in multiple locations.

Plat Terra

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 03:08:14 PM »

[/quote]
Looks like nonsense.

At solar noon the Sun is as high overhead as possible and should be directly South of you (assuming you are in the Northern hemisphere). So why should the Sun, being directly South, cast a shadow 23.5 degrees off?  Doesn't matter that the Earth is tilted. the only time you'll see a shadow 23.5 degrees off would be when it is NOT solar noon for you.
[/quote]

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 03:29:43 PM »

What do you specifically mean by, "And because of the tilt, at Equinox the Sun’s shadow cast in the same manner would reveal Earth’s tilt with the sun’s shadow pointing 23.5° away from Earth’s axis, but it doesn’t.

This from a month or so before Equinox, Albany, NY USA. Latitude 42 degrees North. 8/21/2012:

Plat Terra

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 03:30:08 PM »

Looks like nonsense.

A simple bench-top shadow experiment with a toothpick set any degree North on a Globe tilted 23.5° and oriented at equinox with will cast a shadow 23.5° away from the north axis at solar noon every time and prove you wrong every time.  It’s so simple a child can have the same results. Try it!

The only way that shadow is going to cast to the north axis is if you move Earth's tilt to ZERO.

GOD, it feels great to be a Flat Earther.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 03:46:47 PM by Plat Terra »

Plat Terra

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 03:44:35 PM »

What do you specifically mean by, "And because of the tilt, at Equinox the Sun’s shadow cast in the same manner would reveal Earth’s tilt with the sun’s shadow pointing 23.5° away from Earth’s axis, but it doesn’t.

This from a month or so before Equinox, Albany, NY USA. Latitude 42 degrees North. 8/21/2012:

"And because of the (alleged Earths) tilt, at Equinox the Sun’s shadow cast in the same manner (solar noon with stick set level north of the equator) would reveal Earth’s tilt with the sun’s shadow pointing 23.5° away from Earth’s axis, but it doesn’t. (Just as my first meme expresses).

Nice unrelated video??

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 04:02:03 PM »

"And because of the (alleged Earths) tilt, at Equinox the Sun’s shadow cast in the same manner (solar noon with stick set level north of the equator) would reveal Earth’s tilt with the sun’s shadow pointing 23.5° away from Earth’s axis.

Why?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 05:31:57 PM »

I believe many Flat Earthers are going to be busy on September 23rd while Rounders are crying.

Thanks!
Why wait till the next equinox?
Do it on any date that you like and at Solar Noon the shadow will point due North or South exactly as it should on the Globe.
Try it anywhere on earth except directly under sun (no shadow) or too close to either the North or South Poles.

On any given day the path of the sub-solar point is almost exactly along a parallel of latitude - that's easy to see if you look on a globe.
That latitude varies from 23.5°S on Dec 21, to 0° on Mar 21 to 23.5°N on Jun 21 and so on.

But the Globe earth supporters might be laughing.

?

frenat

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 06:06:04 PM »

Looks like nonsense.

[/quote]

[/quote]
No, it wouldn't. Solar Noon by definition has the Sun due South for those in the Northern hemisphere. If the Sun is south of you then the shadows will be to the North. On NO days would there be a shadow at 23.5 degrees at solar Noon. This is simply YOU not understanding the subject.

?

frenat

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »

Looks like nonsense.

A simple bench-top shadow experiment with a toothpick set any degree North on a Globe tilted 23.5° and oriented at equinox with will cast a shadow 23.5° away from the north axis at solar noon every time and prove you wrong every time.  It’s so simple a child can have the same results. Try it!

The only way that shadow is going to cast to the north axis is if you move Earth's tilt to ZERO.

GOD, it feels great to be a Flat Earther.
If the shadow is not to the North then the sun is not at solar Noon for that observer. The sun would NOT be at it highest point in the sky. But thanks for proving you don't understand the subject you argue against.

Plat Terra

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 06:25:27 PM »

Thanks!
Do it on any date that you like and at Solar Noon the shadow will point due North or South exactly as it should on the Globe.
Try it anywhere on earth except directly under sun (no shadow) or too close to either the North or South Poles.

On any given day the path of the sub-solar point is almost exactly along a parallel of latitude - that's easy to see if you look on a globe.
That latitude varies from 23.5°S on Dec 21, to 0° on Mar 21 to 23.5°N on Jun 21 and so on.

There is no way you or anyone else can simulate an Equinox and have the shadow cast to the north axis at solar noon by a level pole set north on the Equator. If you could you would. Try it!   It’s just not going to happen. We have Round Earthers nailed on this issue.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 06:29:42 PM by Plat Terra »

Heavenly Breeze

• Pegasus from Gaul
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 07:34:27 PM »
And what can you say about what was the axis of the earth before the nuclear war of 812?
The earth believes, because magic exists!

?

frenat

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 07:46:53 PM »

Thanks!

There is no way you or anyone else can simulate an Equinox and have the shadow cast to the north axis at solar noon by a level pole set north on the Equator. If you could you would. Try it!   It’s just not going to happen. We have Round Earthers nailed on this issue.
No, if the shadow is not to the North then it isn't solar Noon. If it is going off to the West as you are trying to show then it is BEFORE solar Noon. Solar noon by definition would have the Sun to the South and highest in the sky. So the shadow HAS TO BE to the North. It works with the tilt. It isn't my fault that you can't visualize it. But even your own diagram shows it. Where it shows the Sun over the equator in East Africa, in Western Europe it appears to be early morning. It would NOT be solar Noon. Solar Noon in that pic is happening for all those on the axis which appears to be the vicinity of Egypt, Turkey and Eastern Europe. Or South of the Equator, solar Noon is happening in East South Africa but has passed in Madagascar where you drew your line. If your line were correct then Solar Noon would be happening at Sunrise for those on the Arctic circle and sunset for those on the Antarctic circle. You're still wrong. But thanks for the humor!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:50:49 PM by frenat »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 07:48:03 PM »

Please  explain why not.
The Globe rotates about the axis from the South Pole to the North Pole.
All the 23.5° tilt does is to move the sub-solar point (the place directly under the sun) North or South of the equator.

Go and buy a globe like this:

Shine a light on it from any angle and as the globe is rotated about its N-S axis the point directly under the light is always at the same latitude.

Plat Terra

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »

Thanks!

No, if the shadow is not to the North then it isn't solar Noon. If it is going off to the West as you are trying to show then it is BEFORE solar Noon. Solar noon by definition would have the Sun to the South and highest in the sky. So the shadow HAS TO BE to the North. It works with the tilt. It isn't my fault that you can't visualize it. But even your own diagram shows it. Where it shows the Sun over the equator in East Africa, in Western Europe it appears to be early morning. It would NOT be solar Noon. Solar Noon in that pic is happening for all those on the axis which appears to be the vicinity of Egypt, Turkey and Eastern Europe. Or South of the Equator, solar Noon is happening in East South Africa but has passed in Madagascar where you drew your line. If your line were correct then Solar Noon would be happening at Sunrise for those on the Arctic circle and sunset for those on the Antarctic circle. You're still wrong. But thanks for the humor!

Again. There is no way any Globie, scientist, NASA, SpaceX or anyone else can simulate an Equinox and have the shadow cast to the north axis at solar noon by a level pole set north on the Equator. If they could they would. It’s just not going to happen.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 08:53:03 PM »
Again. There is no way any Globie, scientist, NASA, SpaceX or anyone else can simulate an Equinox and have the shadow cast to the north axis at solar noon by a level pole set north on the Equator. If they could they would. It’s just not going to happen.

Sure there is, just did. See simulation below:

http://andrewmarsh.com/apps/staging/sunpath3d.html

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 09:27:25 PM »
The usual case of "A Flat Earther is unable understand the Globe and thinks it proves the earth flat!"
But it doesn't.
It just proves that said "Flat Earther is unable understand the Globe" when so many others seem to have no problem.
Might it be a little:
Confirmation Bias ☹️

The often unconscious act of referencing only those perspectives that fuel our pre-existing views, while at the same time ignoring or dismissing opinions — no matter how valid — that threaten our world view.

During research, we tend to unconsciously filter out feedback from users that does not help in supporting our assumptions.