Private photos of Mercury-Atlas 8 Recovery

• 187 Replies

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
Re: Private photos of Mercury-Atlas 8 Recovery
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2019, 06:27:03 AM »
Yes, I remember the Mercury flights 1958/63. They were designed to be controlled from the ground via a Manned Space Flight Network, a system of tracking and communications stations but back-up controls were also outfitted on board the tin teapot. What these onboard controls were, nobody knows. Top secret! National security, you know!
What garbage ignorant people write!

Have you bothered to read this:
Quote from: Robert B. Voas, NASA MANNED SPACECRAFT CENTER
Manual control of the Mercury spacecraft
The Astronaut will manually control Mercury as a normal part of his flight program and may explore his capabilities in manual control of spacecraft through several critical maneuvers.
The link doesn't work, but, I know that the pilot had 120 controls: 55 electrical switches, 30 fuses and 35 mechanical levers to look after. There was also a control stick.

Once in orbit, it was however not possible for the pilot to change the trajectory except by initiating re-entry. All was automatic, according NASA. No critical maneuvers to do. No switches to switch, no fuses to fix and no mechanical levers to operate. You should wonder what clowns had designed this spacecraft without wings with all these 'controls'.

You can visit the Mercury capsule at a museum Washington DC and verify that the controls didn't work at all. I hope National Geographic does it.

Maybe NASA faked the flights because Earth is flat? You cannot orbit a flat Earth.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:43:53 AM by Heiwa »

mak3m

« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2019, 07:33:44 AM »
You have to learn to reply without quoting a long previous answer.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »
Yes, I remember the Mercury flights 1958/63. They were designed to be controlled from the ground via a Manned Space Flight Network, a system of tracking and communications stations but back-up controls were also outfitted on board the tin teapot. What these onboard controls were, nobody knows. Top secret! National security, you know!
What garbage ignorant people write!

Have you bothered to read this:
Quote from: Robert B. Voas, NASA MANNED SPACECRAFT CENTER
Manual control of the Mercury spacecraft
The Astronaut will manually control Mercury as a normal part of his flight program and may explore his capabilities in manual control of spacecraft through several critical maneuvers.
The link doesn't work.
Sorry about that, I'd left a spurious "&" in the url.
Surely you could have done a Google search on "Robert B. Voas, NASA MANNED SPACECRAFT CENTER Manual control of the Mercury spacecraft" or is your Google broken.

But it's fixed.

The link to Reentry Vehicles: Spheres vs. Blunt Bodies was not broken so I hope you now understand atmospheric re-entry.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2019, 01:10:25 AM »
A knife is a knife whether you are cutting a steak or shiving your cellmate.

I take your point but you wouldn't butter a scone with a samurai sword

not AGAIN !!!!!

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2019, 01:13:33 AM »
No, I just say that radars are fitted on ships sailing the seas. Radars are also fitted on shore. But they only work on Earth in the atmosphere, when the weather is good. Radars do not work in vacuum 3D space.
Maritime radar is usually used for collision avoidance.  Radar in spacecraft is usually used for rendezvous, docking or landing assistance.

Sooooo, collision avoidance.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2019, 02:23:19 AM »
Maritime radar is usually used for collision avoidance.  Radar in spacecraft is usually used for rendezvous, docking or landing assistance.

Sooooo, collision avoidance.
Not quite.
A rendezvous and docking could be called a controlled collision with another spacecraft.
A landing could be called a controlled collision with a moon or asreroid.
So in both cases the radar is assisting a controlled collision ;D.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2019, 02:27:12 AM »
RADAR is an electromagnetic echo machine,
even if it's stuffed up your butt.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2019, 03:05:28 AM »
I guess so but it's an ultrasonic echo machine in the latter case ???.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2019, 03:13:33 AM »
I guess so but it's an ultrasonic echo machine in the latter case ???.

Or worse.   :o

Heiwa

« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2019, 06:55:28 AM »
Plenty to play with in there

https://images.app.goo.gl/ApMZQzovgjVjWRiS6

And the pilot was flying backwards all the time! And when a fuse blow, he had to go somewhere to fix it.

mak3m

« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2019, 08:48:30 AM »

And the pilot was flying backwards all the time! And when a fuse blow, he had to go somewhere to fix it.

No?

There was a flight computer, there was fuel for automatic manoeuvres, and a separate supply of fuel for the astronauts to manually correct and fly the capsule. The astronauts were fixed in place in a moulded seat. The capsule was developed in hand with the mercury 7, the USA's first group of astronauts, who insisted on manual controls and windows.

Heiwa

« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2019, 09:50:24 AM »

No?

There was a flight computer, there was fuel for automatic manoeuvres, and a separate supply of fuel for the astronauts to manually correct and fly the capsule. The astronauts were fixed in place in a moulded seat. The capsule was developed in hand with the mercury 7, the USA's first group of astronauts, who insisted on manual controls and windows.
Well, according John Glenn he was facing backwards in his space capsule, when rocket engines were fired above the Pacific, so he could start reentry and land in the Atlantic Ocean a little later.
What a clown! Glenn became a US senator and served many years. He was just told what to do ....

mak3m

« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2019, 11:21:42 AM »

No?

Well, according John Glenn he was facing backwards in his space capsule, when rocket engines were fired above the Pacific, so he could start reentry and land in the Atlantic Ocean a little later.
What a clown! Glenn became a US senator and served many years. He was just told what to do ....

He was sat on the heat shield, which was not facing backwards when he was doing his orbits.

Your logic is strange.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »
What's strange about that?
What is the best way to face if you are being slowed down at up to 8 g's? So, of course, John Glenn was facing backwards in his space capsule.

Heiwa

« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2019, 10:46:39 PM »
What is the best way to face if you are being slowed down at up to 8 g's? So, of course, John Glenn was facing backwards in his space capsule.
So he says. But it was the first time he was flying backwards ... without wings ... all over USA from California to Virgina to land in the Atlantic. He slowed down at variable speeds from > 7000 m/s to 0 in say 15 minutes and then landed hole-in-one close to target (a US warship). It was an impossible trajectory but the communist Y. Gagarin had faked a similar stunt years earlier. Fake News every time.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2019, 11:09:11 PM »
But it was the first time he was flying backwards ... without wings ...
Does a satellite have wings? Wings are not needed when in orbit and on re-entry you are trying to lose altitude.

He may not have had what looks like a wing but does a Frisbee look like a wing? Does a pebble you skim over a pond look like a wing?
The American heat shields were also a lifting surface, though with a terrible lift/drag ratio - luckily, well good design, not luck.
Hence the American re-entry modules could be controlled during re-entry.

Quote from: Heiwa
all over USA from California to Virgina to land in the Atlantic. He slowed down at variable speeds from > 7000 m/s to 0 in say 15 minutes
So? He had been in orbit all around the Earth before that.

and then landed hole-in-one close to target (a US warship). It was an impossible trajectory
Only impossible to one so pig-headed that they refuse to even try to understand it.
I'm not certain of the Mecury capsules but the Apollo CM's had inertial navigation and were controlled even during te-entry so it was by no means impossible.

but the communist Y. Gagarin had faked a similar stunt years earlier. Fake News every time.
So you say! Few believe your trash anyway - you are the real fake here!

?

frenat

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2019, 04:39:36 AM »
So he says. But it was the first time he was flying backwards ... without wings ... all over USA from California to Virgina to land in the Atlantic. He slowed down at variable speeds from > 7000 m/s to 0 in say 15 minutes and then landed hole-in-one close to target (a US warship). It was an impossible trajectory but the communist Y. Gagarin had faked a similar stunt years earlier. Fake News every time.
translation: I don't understand any of it and can't bother to try so it must be fake.

Heiwa

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2019, 05:07:04 AM »

Well, John Glenn flying the Mercury teapot was chosen as he was a war plane with wings pilot. Of course Mercury had no wings, when flying through the atmosphere to land (in the sea) and Glenn did this facing backwards looking at all his switches and fuses. He had never before flown so fast - supersonic! Braking was just due to friction and how Glenn was steering the thing with his stick between the legs remains Fake News magic. And now National Geographic shall make a reportage of the old Fake News.
Re my trash - see thread on top of page. Very popular trash! Plenty people believe high speed flying in vacuum space is like slowly flying a plane in thick air close to ground.

mak3m

« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2019, 06:43:20 AM »

Well, John Glenn flying the Mercury teapot was chosen as he was a war plane with wings pilot. Of course Mercury had no wings, when flying through the atmosphere to land (in the sea) and Glenn did this facing backwards looking at all his switches and fuses. He had never before flown so fast - supersonic! Braking was just due to friction and how Glenn was steering the thing with his stick between the legs remains Fake News magic. And now National Geographic shall make a reportage of the old Fake News.
Re my trash - see thread on top of page. Very popular trash! Plenty people believe high speed flying in vacuum space is like slowly flying a plane in thick air close to ground.

No

John Glenn was one of seven test pilots selected to be the NASA's  first set of astronauts, he was the first to complete orbits beyond the target that had been set by NASA. It was the third flight of the Mercury programme, two previous sub orbital flights having been completed.

People believe a lot of things, but for all its dangers space flight is nothing like flying in an atmosphere and eminently more predictable.  Flight plans for missions are calculated way in advance of any flight. Its basic orbital mechanics.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2019, 07:25:31 AM »
So he says. But it was the first time he was flying backwards ... without wings ...
Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure that he simulated the flight quite a few times before the actual flight.

BTW, Mercury-8 was Wally Schirra's mission, not John Glenn's mission.  Please stay on topic.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:27:12 AM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Heiwa

« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2019, 01:17:07 PM »

No

John Glenn was one of seven test pilots selected to be the NASA's  first set of astronauts, he was the first to complete orbits beyond the target that had been set by NASA. It was the third flight of the Mercury programme, two previous sub orbital flights having been completed.

People believe a lot of things, but for all its dangers space flight is nothing like flying in an atmosphere and eminently more predictable.  Flight plans for missions are calculated way in advance of any flight. Its basic orbital mechanics.
Yes, but what is orbital mechanics? And why do you need orbiting humans doing it. Why not use robots? 
yes, the NASA flight plans for missions are calculated way in advance of any flight. But why cannot NASA say how much fuel is used, etc, etc.?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2019, 03:14:07 PM »
yes, the NASA flight plans for missions are calculated way in advance of any flight. But why cannot NASA say how much fuel is used, etc, etc.?
NASA did say how much fuel was used, etc., etc., in the mission reports.  You the information is there, but you just keep calling if fake news.  Why do you keep asking questions when all you ever do is just dismiss or ignore the answers?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2019, 05:08:35 PM »
Yes, but what is orbital mechanics?
If you don't know that you've no business claiming it's all impossible.

And why do you need orbiting humans doing it. Why not use robots? 
  • Just because they can! Why do people climb Mt Everest? Why does Mike Horn circumnavigate the Earth without motorised support?
  • But also humans care do more things in space or on the Moon than robots can.
They can and do but you won't even read their reports.

Heiwa

« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2019, 12:39:56 AM »

• But also humans can do more things in space or on the Moon than robots can.

Yes, piss! Thanks for telling me. But the Mercury-Atlas8 space craft didn't have a toilet. John Glenn & Co had to piss in their trousers.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2019, 02:12:43 AM »

Yes, piss! Thanks for telling me. But the Mercury-Atlas8 space craft didn't have a toilet. John Glenn & Co had to piss in their trousers.
You've got I one track mind. I wonder why? You should either head off to either a urologist or more likely a psychiatrist.

But you're showing your ignorance again! John Glenn & Co didn't have "to piss in their trousers . . . the Mercury-Atlas8 space craft".
  • John Glenn didn't fly in "the Mercury-Atlas8 space craft" so no problem.
  • And the "and Co", Walter M. Schirra Jr., didn't have "to piss in their his trousers" either!
So you're certainly maintaining your enviable 100% record - always wrong, Congratulations :D!

mak3m

« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2019, 02:52:08 AM »

With reference to John Glenn, his mission was under 6 hours start to finish, perhaps he just crossed his legs.

Mercury-Atlas 9 was the last mission in this series and Gordon Cooper was up there for 34 hours. The end of the mission was beset with problems and systems failures to the extent that the final stages of the mission were carried out fully manually. When they investigated they found that the Piss bag in Gordons space suit had a micro leak and the piss moisture in the capsule effected the electronics.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2019, 03:44:10 AM »

With reference to John Glenn, his mission was under 6 hours start to finish, perhaps he just crossed his legs.
Not quite, Alan Sheppard had big problems and, as they said in the classics, "When you've gotta go, you've gotta go" so he went:
Quote from: Hunter Hollins
Forgotten hardware: how to urinate in a spacesuit
 Abstract

On May 5, 1961, astronaut Alan Shepard became the first American to fly in space. Although National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) had discounted the need for him to urinate, Shepard did, in his spacesuit, short circuiting his electronic biosensors. With the development of the pressure suit needed for high-altitude and space flight during the 1950s, technicians had developed the means for urine collection. However, cultural mores, combined with a lack of interagency communication, and the technical difficulties of spaceflight made human waste collection a difficult task. Despite the difficulties, technicians at NASA created a successful urine collection device that John Glenn wore on the first Mercury orbital flight on February 20, 1962. With minor modifications, male astronauts used this system to collect urine until the Space Shuttle program. John Glenn's urine collection device is at the National Air and Space Museum and has been on view to the public since 1976.

FROM A POSTCARD to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA):
February 1, 1961

Dear Sir,
In our science class we were talking about the first man that would go into space and we would like to know where they go to the toilet when there [sic] up in space and there's no gravity.

Yours truly,
Brenda Kemmerer
Box 77
Cherryville, Pennsylvania (12)
Brenda and her friends in science class wondered, as children still do today, but in 1961, scientists and technicians at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) discounted the problem. Dr. Freeman H. Quimby, of the Office of Life Science Programs at NASA, replied to Brenda that “the first space man is not expected to have ‘to go’”.
The expectation of technicians was that the astronaut would urinate just before they closed his pressure suit and then hold it until he was on the rescue ship. For the first American space flight on May 5, 1961, NASA did not give astronaut Alan Shepard a urine collection device (UCD), and during his 4-h wait on the launch pad, he had to urinate in his pressure suit. No one knew what effect this bodily need would have on the mission, but after some rumination, the launch pad team told him to “do it in the suit” .
<< continued in the link >>

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2019, 06:46:55 AM »

As far as I know, Alan Sheppard was the only astronaut who had to piss his pants.  It was only supposed to be a 15 minute flight, so they didn't see the need for a urine collection system.  Unfortunately for him, there was several hours of hold time and he was finally given permission to do what needed to be done.  Everyone else had some sort of urine collection system.

Heiwa

« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2019, 11:30:38 AM »

You've got I one track mind. I wonder why? You should either head off to either a urologist or more likely a psychiatrist.

But you're showing your ignorance again! John Glenn & Co didn't have "to piss in their trousers . . . the Mercury-Atlas8 space craft".
  • John Glenn didn't fly in "the Mercury-Atlas8 space craft" so no problem.
  • And the "and Co", Walter M. Schirra Jr., didn't have "to piss in their his trousers" either!
So you're certainly maintaining your enviable 100% record - always wrong, Congratulations :D!
Yes, we are told that once in orbit, the Mercury spacecraft could be rotated in yaw, pitch, and roll along its longitudinal axis (roll), left to right from the astronaut's point of view (yaw), and up or down (pitch). Movement was created by rocket-propelled thrusters, which used hydrogen peroxide as a fuel. For orientation, the pilot could look through the window in front of him or he could look at a screen connected to a periscope with a camera which could be turned 360°.
The Mercury astronauts had taken part in the development of their spacecraft, and insisted that manual control, and a window, be elements of its design. As a result, spacecraft movement and other functions could be controlled three ways: remotely from the ground when passing over a ground station, automatically guided by onboard instruments, or manually by the astronaut, who could replace or override the two other methods. Experience validated the astronauts' insistence on manual controls.
I always wonder who wrote this nonsense. Nobody ever flow in a Mercury spacecraft. It was all Fake News!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2019, 12:49:00 PM »
I always wonder who wrote this nonsense. Nobody ever flow in a Mercury spacecraft. It was all Fake News!