If you knew for a fact the Earth wasn't flat...

• 15 Replies
If you knew for a fact the Earth wasn't flat...
« on: June 02, 2019, 05:49:22 AM »
I get that most, if not all, flat earthers believe that what cannot be seen cannot be taken as fact. I'm not sure if most of you are just in it for the debate and actually believe/practice in pure empiricism, or if most of you actually believe in a flat earth.

Irregardless, how would you feel if you knew for a fact that the Earth wasn't flat? Say, your Antarctic expedition wasn't met with any military force and you actually didn't fall off the surface of the Earth no matter how far you walked. Say, for some reason, you were offered a chance to go in to space and were able to orbit around the Earth .etc.

As a member of the opposite camp, I'll start.

I'd feel pissed, angry, duped, probably wouldn't believe much in science anymore. Ultimately, it would probably have little to no effect on my life after some time passed because space travel isn't in my future in either case.

Re: If you knew for a fact the Earth wasn't flat...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 10:00:44 AM »
You’re saying you’d be pissed off and lose faith in science if you found out the earth WAS flat?

That would certainly affect my life, being in a technical job that relies on physics being broadly accurate.

Not really the same thing.  Flat earthers would only need to be pissed off at a handful of YouTube charlatans.

BTW, most people here are not flat earthers, and are in it for the debate.  Out of those who do argue for flat earth, who knows how genuine they are? 

This place is certainly not representative of the “flat earth community” in general.  I think many actually hate this site.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 12:52:12 PM »
This place is certainly not representative of the “flat earth community” in general.  I think many actually hate this site.

Despite all our efforts, the "management team under opposite control" did its best to make it look like this. and they did it. “flat earth community” in general clearly hate on this place.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 02:19:09 PM »

I'd feel pissed, angry, duped, probably wouldn't believe much in science anymore.

you must be  ^  this smart to post on this site. 

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 02:57:31 PM »

I'd feel pissed, angry, duped, probably wouldn't believe much in science anymore.

Why? They let you and I post here.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 03:27:46 PM »

Why? They let you and I post here.

Exactly.

magellanclavichord

• Cheerful Globularist
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 08:10:19 PM »
I get that most, if not all, flat earthers believe that what cannot be seen cannot be taken as fact. I'm not sure if most of you are just in it for the debate and actually believe/practice in pure empiricism, or if most of you actually believe in a flat earth.

Irregardless, how would you feel if you knew for a fact that the Earth wasn't flat? Say, your Antarctic expedition wasn't met with any military force and you actually didn't fall off the surface of the Earth no matter how far you walked. Say, for some reason, you were offered a chance to go in to space and were able to orbit around the Earth .etc.

I'd feel pissed, angry, duped, probably wouldn't believe much in science anymore. Ultimately, it would probably have little to no effect on my life after some time passed because space travel isn't in my future in either case.

This is a silly question. If I knew for a fact that the Earth was not flat, then I would not be a flat-Earther.

As far as antarctic expeditions, walking to the edge, or going into space:

I'm not going on any seafaring expeditions because I get seasick. I'm quite certain that the edge is farther away than I can walk. And I've read that space sickness is ten times worse than the worst seasickness (yes, space is real: a flat Earth does not preclude space). So in the extremely unlikely event that someone offers to send me into space I will decline.

In microgravity, the fluid in your inner ear that allows a sense of balance is not drawn in any direction. It merely obeys the law of momentum. So that any slight movement of your head causes the fluid to try to remain where it was, which means it moves with respect to the semicircular canals which tells your brain that the entire world has flipped around you. The result is that if you are susceptible to motion sickness you'll puke your guts out. It's how the Vomit Comet got its name. So, no space travel for me.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 08:21:00 PM »

This is a silly question. If I knew for a fact that the Earth was not flat, then I would not be a flat-Earther.

I'm not going on any seafaring expeditions because I get seasick. I'm quite certain that the edge is farther away than I can walk. And I've read that space sickness is ten times worse than the worst seasickness (yes, space is real: a flat Earth does not preclude space). So in the extremely unlikely event that someone offers to send me into space I will decline.

In microgravity, the fluid in your inner ear that allows a sense of balance is not drawn in any direction. It merely obeys the law of momentum. So that any slight movement of your head causes the fluid to try to remain where it was, which means it moves with respect to the semicircular canals which tells your brain that the entire world has flipped around you. The result is that if you are susceptible to motion sickness you'll puke your guts out. It's how the Vomit Comet got its name. So, no space travel for me.

Yes, this is a silly question.
There all kinds of occupations in the world where everyone knows for a fact that the earth isn't flat.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 08:57:12 PM »

There all kinds of occupations in the world where everyone knows for a fact that the earth isn't flat.
Like these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYI8318YYdkAf5_AgqDrn2awtkJisRcf9

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 09:50:25 PM »

Like these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/pla mot ylist?list=PLYI8318YYdkAf5_AgqDrn2awtkJisRcf9
No comment.
Except note that this is from YouTube.
I am out of here and leaving this to the rest of you.

Chorus:

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 10:36:36 PM »

But, what about the horizon Navy?

?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: If you knew for a fact the Earth wasn't flat..
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 11:36:45 AM »

But, what about the horizon Navy?
I have seen quite enough of it to know what it is, where it is, and how to estimate the distance to it.
Nowadays has nothing to with the Navy.
I have been on vacation many times to both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts.
The horizon is still the best evidence that the earth isn't flat no matter if you're at sea or ashore.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:41:09 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 11:48:18 AM »
How far away is the Event Horizon?

magellanclavichord

• Cheerful Globularist
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 02:43:47 PM »

It's at the Schwarzschild radius. Unless you're spinning. In which case it's not.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 03:31:29 PM »
Tom Bishop, that video isn't "these guys", it's one guy - 7th day truth seeker. He's the sort of guy who would argue there is no curvature on a toilet roll by tearing off a toilet paper square, laying it flat on a table, and saying, "see?".

All the other "guys" in those videos know for a fact the earth is a globe. Have you swapped teams Tom, and are now batting for the round earthers?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 04:01:28 PM »
It's at the Schwarzschild radius. Unless you're spinning. In which case it's not.
And If the earth's mass were all located at its centre the Schwarzschild radius of "the . . . . Earth's is only about 9 mm (0.35 in)".
So for the Globe earth, the Event Horizon would be about 6371 km below your feet.
On a flat earth, I wouldn't have a clue!