Maths in regard to the theory

• 3 Replies
Maths in regard to the theory
« on: May 15, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »
As a keen mathematician, I revel in the chance to prove things in terms of equations. I am wondering if there are any ones that work for the flat earth but not the globe earth
Mark Sargent is bae.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Maths in regard to the theory
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:38:09 PM »
As a keen mathematician, I revel in the chance to prove things in terms of equations. I am wondering if there are any ones that work for the flat earth but not the globe earth
Ask Jane, the Flat Earth Researcher. She's a mathematician and might be able to help.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 05:02:23 AM »
It's not really that simple. Most of the relevant equations are going to be describing real world observations so at the end of the day the FE versions and RE version are going to need to be basically identical if they're going to work. Whatever you believe, no one's going to propose or defend a model that doesn't accurately describe accepted observations, you might get some debate on what are reliable sources but beyond that...
For example, it's generally accepted that the force making something fall under the RE model of gravity is mg, mass times the gravitational constant 9.8m/s/s.
Then you get UA, which ends up with mass times acceleration, once more mg.
If you want to be more adventurous you could get to something like denpressure, which depends on volume and density (increase either and the force goes up) so you get pvd where d is some constant, and if d=9.8 then that's equivalent to, you guessed it, good old mg.

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 09:41:34 AM »
Honestly, there is a possibility the two will diverge. Historically, there are a plethora of examples where a new theory disagrees with past empirical readings and yet is shown to be correct. It is a basis of the theory of anarchy in scientific method and also Kuhnian paradigm shift.

Quantum Ab Hoc