Rowbotham A contemporary account

• 43 Replies
Rowbotham A contemporary account
« on: May 10, 2019, 01:36:26 AM »
There are few contemporary accounts of Rowbotham and not much detail known about his life. There is however one interesting entry in A Budget of Paradoxes, by Augustus de Morgan. De Morgan was a contemporary of Rowbotham, a mathematician and logician.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_De_Morgan

In this book which aimed to explore the more unconventional, or crazy, ideas of the time De Morgan Included a small chapter on Rowbotham and his Zetetic Astronomy: Earth not a globe. 1857 (Broadsheet). Given it was written at the time Rowbotham was writing his book it makes interesting reading.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/26408/26408-h/26408-h.htm#NtA_183

In it he describes how Rowbotham fled from a lecture he was giving, and how he falsely claimed to have presented a paper at the Royal Astronomical Society. The truth of the matter, as you will read, is that a member of the society read sections of Rowbotham’s pamphlet for the amusement of the audience. Rowbotham stretched the truth somewhat claiming he had given a paper on the subject of his pamphlet!

While you can access the whole document, here is an extract.

Though only a traveling lecturer's advertisement, there are so many arguments and quotations that it is a little pamphlet. The lecturer gained great praise from provincial newspapers for his ingenuity in proving that the earth is a flat, surrounded by ice. Some of the journals rather incline to the view: but the Leicester Advertiser thinks that the statements "would seem very seriously to invalidate some of the most important conclusions of modern astronomy," while the Norfolk Herald is clear that "there must be a great error on one side or the other." This broadsheet is printed at Aylesbury in 1857, and the lecturer calls himself Parallax: but at Trowbridge, in 1849, he was S. Goulden.[183] In this last advertisement is the following announcement: "A paper on the above subjects was read before the Council and Members of the Royal Astronomical Society, Somerset House, Strand, London (Sir John F. W. Herschel,[184] President), Friday, Dec. 8, 1848." No account of such a paper appears in the Notice for that month: I suspect that the above is Mr. S. Goulden's way of representing the following occurrence: Dec. 8, 1848, the Secretary of the Astronomical Society (De Morgan by name) said, at the close of the proceedings,—"Now, gentlemen, if you will promise not to tell the Council, I will read something for your amusement": and he then read a few of the arguments which had been transmitted by the lecturer. The fact is worth noting that from 1849 to 1857, arguments on the roundness or flatness of the earth did itinerate. I have [89]no doubt they did much good: for very few persons have any distinct idea of the evidence for the rotundity of the earth. The Blackburn Standard and Preston Guardian (Dec. 12 and 16, 1849) unite in stating that the lecturer ran away from his second lecture at Burnley, having been rather too hard pressed at the end of his first lecture to explain why the large hull of a ship disappeared before the sails. The persons present and waiting for the second lecture assuaged their disappointment by concluding that the lecturer had slipped off the icy edge of his flat disk, and that he would not be seen again till he peeped up on the opposite side.

It appears little has changed over the years as far as the presentation of flat earth ideas are concerned.

Re: Rowbotham A contemporary account
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 02:07:47 AM »
Is it not rather strange that the FE movement today pin their hopes on the single book of an obscure Victorian Englishman who was shown by his contemporaries to be untrustworthy and prone to being flexible with the truth.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 05:53:38 AM »
How many workings of me or sandokhan inside; other FE scientists outside did you see we have mentioned to Rowbotham? 5%?, 1%? 0,1%? Or nope?

You can use here to search our mentiones to Rowbotham:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30499.0
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=66236.0
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 09:33:29 AM »
How many workings of me or sandokhan inside; other FE scientists outside did you see we have mentioned to Rowbotham? 5%?, 1%? 0,1%? Or nope?

Ah but you are a mere flat earth midget of little consequence. Sandokhan, on the other hand, is obsessed with Sagnag....or rewriting history.  Flat earth giants on the other hand like John Davis, the most eminent flat earth scientist alive, worships Robotham. Possibly that's where you have been going wrong.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 10:58:43 AM »

Robotham

Part flat earther, part machine.  All mental.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 12:02:36 PM »

Ah but you are a mere flat earth midget of little consequence. Sandokhan, on the other hand, is obsessed with Sagnag....or rewriting history.  Flat earth giants on the other hand like John Davis, the most eminent flat earth scientist alive, worships Robotham. Possibly that's where you have been going wrong.

Come on, who the hell of John Davis? He is just one of the five flat earth scientists here, and the weakest one. His theory of UA model has never mentioned by Rowbotham. And John Davis and his theories are old and demode. Sandokhan's sagnac obsession is his own problem, can not change his being a great scientist.

Again, John Davis is a mere of flat earth scientists here, he is only a giant for angry globularists like you. You are only using his name to mock flat earth believers. He definitely does not represent us at all. He represent himself, fake flat earthers, controlled opposition group and globularists like you whose want to mock FE.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 12:20:18 PM »
JD's model is definitely not UA. He's been pretty clear about that.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 12:36:53 PM »

So the other forum is saying lie about UA model, right?
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 12:45:20 PM »

I have no idea about what the other forum is saying regarding UA, and that has nothing to do with what I said. You stated JD's "theory of UA model has never mentioned by Rowbotham" and I was simply clarifying that John Davis doesn't subscribe to the UA concept, so your characterization of him is wrong.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »

I have no idea about what the other forum is saying regarding UA, and that has nothing to do with what I said. You stated JD's "theory of UA model has never mentioned by Rowbotham" and I was simply clarifying that John Davis doesn't subscribe to the UA concept, so your characterization of him is wrong.

Ok. We have discussed it earlier. I did not aware its not being Davis model. Okay, Davis model is something else. your characterization of him is wrong about UA model. Even so he agrees the "gravity, the mother of all evilness".
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
His Infinite Earth has a force very much like Gravity. I wouldn't assume he agrees with you about it being the mother of all evil. I've certainly not seen him say that before.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 02:07:41 PM »
His Infinite Earth has a force very much like Gravity. I wouldn't assume he agrees with you about it being the mother of all evil. I've certainly not seen him say that before.

"He agrees the gravity" , which "mother of all evil". I mean this.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 03:06:07 PM »

This thread is not about your disbelief of what keeps you firmly attached to the earth, it’s about how some of the contemporary accounts of Rowbotham, the flat earth darling, show him to a bit of a scoundrel.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 11:49:05 PM »

This thread is not about your disbelief of what keeps you firmly attached to the earth, it’s about how some of the contemporary accounts of Rowbotham, the flat earth darling, show him to a bit of a scoundrel.
You are the one here who referred the John Davis first, who is the father of all evilness. I have just put forward that our workings are not depending on Rowbotham's workings. We have used him as a light on our way, but not main source; but you have started to talk about John Davis, the flat earth dwarf.

Pay attention you've talked about "flat earth movement", not "the flat earth society". John Davis is an important actor in the flat earth society, but nobody cares him in flat earth movement.

Is it not rather strange that the FE movement today pin their hopes on the single book of an obscure Victorian Englishman who was shown by his contemporaries to be untrustworthy and prone to being flexible with the truth.

John Davis is not a part of flat earth movement. He is an actor, artist, at the counter side of it.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 06:40:54 AM »

You are the one here who referred the John Davis first, who is the father of all evilness. I have just put forward that our workings are not depending on Rowbotham's workings. We have used him as a light on our way, but not main source; but you have started to talk about John Davis, the flat earth dwarf.

Pay attention you've talked about "flat earth movement", not "the flat earth society". John Davis is an important actor in the flat earth society, but nobody cares him in flat earth movement.

John Davis is not a part of flat earth movement. He is an actor, artist, at the counter side of it.

I simply quoted what John Davis said about himself, he stated that he was the most eminent flat earth scientist around. Are you disputing this claim?

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 07:20:47 AM »

Come on, who the hell of John Davis? He is just one of the five flat earth scientists here, and the weakest one. His theory of UA model has never mentioned by Rowbotham. And John Davis and his theories are old and demode. Sandokhan's sagnac obsession is his own problem, can not change his being a great scientist.

Again, John Davis is a mere of flat earth scientists here, he is only a giant for angry globularists like you. You are only using his name to mock flat earth believers. He definitely does not represent us at all. He represent himself, fake flat earthers, controlled opposition group and globularists like you whose want to mock FE.

Did you forget to go back and make it seem like you don’t know English?

Edit:  your last post is like that too. It’s a miracle.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:22:49 AM by sokarul »
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 08:40:11 AM »

I am glad somebody else noticed this too.  Had to laugh my ass off when I read the above post.  What benefit does it serve  him to fake his low English-writing abilities? 

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 11:05:35 AM »

I am glad somebody else noticed this too.  Had to laugh my ass off when I read the above post.  What benefit does it serve  him to fake his low English-writing abilities?

Possibly because he is a prize fool. There are other instances of his 'lapse of understanding English' on other threads. That's why I seldom reply to him, he's an utter fake who goes out his way to troll total nonsense for effect. I think it's pretty pointless given his voluminous output. I think the Heavenly Breeze character may be one of his alts or offspring as they operate in much the same way.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:07:15 AM by Lonegranger »

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 11:38:21 AM »

I simply quoted what John Davis said about himself, he stated that he was the most eminent flat earth scientist around. Are you disputing this claim?

I do not agree with this claim. His name cames after sandokhan, and in my opinion after me. But general tendency in society isn't this. So this is the only thing I can say about him morely.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 02:17:45 PM »

Possibly because he is a prize fool. There are other instances of his 'lapse of understanding English' on other threads. That's why I seldom reply to him, he's an utter fake who goes out his way to troll total nonsense for effect. I think it's pretty pointless given his voluminous output. I think the Heavenly Breeze character may be one of his alts or offspring as they operate in much the same way.
I was gonna day I have see someone else call him out.

Anyways

I don’t recall De Morgan being brought up on here before. Good find.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 12:12:36 AM »

This is one of the most absurd post ever I read. Both me hasing so called good English and using Heavenly Breeze as an alter account; both of them ridiculus and BS.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:14:21 AM by wise »
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 12:15:20 AM »

This is one of the most absurd post ever I read. Both me hasing so called good English and using Heavenly Breeze as an alter account; both of them ridiculus and BS.

Do you know how many times I correct a post, resend it, correct it and resend; and delete and repost it if required. because I do it to respect to the readers.

This is because mods sometimes ask me Why I do it. But this time I did not do it to you see how it happens in my side. Look at the upper post. What has change?
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 12:25:57 AM »

Do you know how many times I correct a post, resend it, correct it and resend; and delete and repost it if required. because I do it to respect to the readers.

This is because mods sometimes ask me Why I do it. But this time I did not do it to you see how it happens in my side. Look at the upper post. What has change?

nothing. it's not just as weak as you think. I've said it many times before. intermediate2 level means english, which means I can speak English. but not good. I'm who my mother language isn't English arguing here with people whose mother language is English,. and for this I spend twice the amount of labor you spend. and you're still interested in teasing me with BS claims. Read the first , second and third post times. About 15 minutes. This is the time I spend of this post for only "correction the mistakes".
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 07:16:15 AM »
Apparently 3 times. I can’t think of any other thread were you posted the same thing three times in a row. Kind of looks like you made a claim up and then faked evidence.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 08:16:03 AM »
I realize arguing with everything wise posts is lots of fun, but he is actually telling the truth. He deletes his mistakes, they are in quarantine. Sometimes it's more than three tries, sometimes it's less.

In the past deleted posts were just deleted, but a couple months I changed it so that deleted posts automatically go to quarantine. The thread where we discussed it is in S&C somewhere.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 04:22:13 AM »
I realize arguing with everything wise posts is lots of fun, but he is actually telling the truth. He deletes his mistakes, they are in quarantine. Sometimes it's more than three tries, sometimes it's less.

In the past deleted posts were just deleted, but a couple months I changed it so that deleted posts automatically go to quarantine. The thread where we discussed it is in S&C somewhere.
OK, so you're saying he is a genuine moron and we should respect that?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 05:37:12 AM »
I'm saying that he tries to get his English as correct as he can, and when he reads over something and finds mistakes he deletes the post and tries again. I can see all the posts that he deletes, because they go to quarantine now, instead of disappearing forever.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 08:58:16 AM »
By almost all accounts Samuel Rowbotham was a skilled debater and intelligent man. There will always be those on the other side of the debate that will levee these attacks against us, against common sense, reality and truth. You are amongst those who try, yet so far you have failed to get the spamghetti to stick to the wall.

I am not particularly keen on Rowbotham, aside from his historical importance and the teleological necessity of his arguments to have existed to get us to where we are today. Many of his arguments and so-called proofs I dismiss. Others have worth.

There has never been a time I held the UA as factual. At times I will defend it as if I did as many of the arguments brought to its gates are balderdash, and because I am knowledgable about what it says and doesn't say.

Wise does like to claim I am no friend to the cause, and not the greatest flat earther of our time. His arguments against me couldn't hold the weight of a feather. His mind addled by years searching for the truth, he has turned against his own and attacks our own mutual interests in some fool's errand of a holy war. On the other hand, I see no warrant for attacking him based on his difficulty grasping our lingua. That's just low class, but I'd expect little more than that out lonerager.

Now onward to my credentials. It is clear neither Sandokhan the great, or Wise the mad can hold a match to the light of my greatness. They don't even know who created one of the most prominent theories on this site, and that it wasn't me - or that I fought for years against said theory. The same is true of rager, who has finally proven he is capable of opening a book! Kudos!

However, your jubilation at finally finishing your Hooked On Phonics course will be short lived as I drag the corpse of your pitiful worldview around our city for all to see. I have created the most robust extension of the work of Johnson and Shenton to date, one which has never been successfully assaulted. When the earth sciences books are rewritten, there is no doubt my face will adorn its own section, and your eyes will shed tears of regret as your first born will have to read of your great internet enemy for his school boy tests. Aside from my work with the infinite plane model, I have also successfully shown that the average round earther believes the earth to be flat, without them even having the therewithall to realize this. I have built this into a robust theory that also stands without challenge.

My colleagues will always look at me from the side of their eye, much like those round earthers. As Antonio Salieri was to Mozart, their minds are simply not up to the task of competing against the voice of our generation. Its of no fault of their own - it is a symptom of their human condition and I feel great regret that my genius has such a heavy weight on the souls out there that also reach for truth.

As far as gravity goes, its simply a word we use to hide man's ignorance. Of course things fall. Do I think gravity is causing some sort of celestial race with giant balls of mud being flung about in circles at accelerating speeds? Of course not. That would be ludicrous.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »
My colleagues will always look at me from the side of their eye, much like those round earthers. As Antonio Salieri was to Mozart, their minds are simply not up to the task of competing against the voice of our generation. Its of no fault of their own - it is a symptom of their human condition and I feel great regret that my genius has such a heavy weight on the souls out there that also reach for truth.
And the next Nobel Prize Winner in Fictional Literature is . . . . wait for it . . . . .

Quote from: John Davis
As far as gravity goes, its simply a word we use to hide man's ignorance. Of course things fall. Do I think gravity is causing some sort of celestial race with giant balls of mud being flung about in circles at accelerating speeds? Of course not. That would be ludicrous.
There may be some truth in "As far as gravity goes, its simply a word we use to hide man's ignorance".
But who, apart from you, ever suggested anything like "gravity is causing some sort of celestial race with giant balls of mud being flung about in circles at accelerating speeds ;)."

So yes, I agree, "That would be ludicrous"!

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »
While I took liberties, its clear many astrophysicists and laymen believe that gravity is causing giant celestial balls of matter to travel circles while accelerating.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.