Why is it important?

• 8 Replies
?

Nina

Why is it important?
« on: November 11, 2005, 09:58:52 AM »
Hi,
this may seem ignorant, but I really want to know why it is so very important if the earth is flat, round or whatever. (By the way, I think it is round, but of course I'm open to any reasons why it shouldn't be)
Does it really change anything except the fact that there might be stars far away or other planets? After all, it's not said anywhere in the Bible as far as I recall that the earth is flat or not flat, so it's open to general evidence, isn't it?

I hope someone can explain this to me...

?

Nrg

Why is it important?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 01:29:41 PM »
Well, the bible speaks of the "four corners of the world". So, not only do the flat earthers believe in a flat earth, but also in a square shaped earth.

I don't know if I should cry or laugh to when they say that NASA and the Russian space administration worked together with this and that they hush-hush every goverment in the world.

Well, that's their main evidence. Except for the NATO-flag, wich is actually the flag of the organization working against their beliefs.

In other words, they are NOT open for any logical debates at all.
f meat is murder, are eggs rape?

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
Why is it important?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 04:33:10 PM »
Apparently the rest of the round earthers (not all, just the majority of them) are offended that someone thinks differently than they do, so they feel it necessary to come here and flame and bash the flat earthers. When in reality it doesn't matter in the slightest. I personally see no reason to not just let these people believe what they want whether I agree with them or not.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

?

Nina

Why is it important?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 11:35:20 PM »
You say it doesn't matter what round earthers believe. You still have this forum. So actually you want to discuss it, obviously, otherwise would this homepage not exist. And I didn't flame and bash anyone, I just tried to understand.

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
Why is it important?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 06:01:40 AM »
Quote from: "Nina"
You say it doesn't matter what round earthers believe. You still have this forum. So actually you want to discuss it, obviously, otherwise would this homepage not exist. And I didn't flame and bash anyone, I just tried to understand.

I didn't say you were, actualy I was agreeing with you,I wasn't trying to say it's not important what they believe I was saying it makes no difference in any ones lifes whether it's round flat oblong cubical or in the shape of a llama.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

Why is it important?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 04:56:11 PM »
I would say it really only matters because humans are naturally argumentitive. If we arnt arguing or debeing as some would put it, we would be bored out of our minds. this site really just gives us something to do.
efore making fun of someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Why is it important?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 05:32:38 PM »
Quote from: "F Kid"
I would say it really only matters because humans are naturally argumentitive. If we arnt arguing or debeing as some would put it, we would be bored out of our minds. this site really just gives us something to do.
Exactly. It's human nature to disagree with people, and it's impossible to agree with what everybody says or does.
 believe the Earth is round. That must make me... EVIL!!!

By reading this message, you have given me breif control of your mind.

Why is it important?
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 09:42:18 AM »
Quote from: "EnragedPenguin"
I was saying it makes no difference in any ones lifes whether it's round flat oblong cubical or in the shape of a llama.

I think it maybe makes a difference for scientists. If the sun is only a few dozen miles away, for example, then it must be a lot cooler than we thought it was in order to produce the same temperature on Earth, which means that the reactions we suppose are creating the heat must be very different, which in turn implies that what we observe about reactions generally must be at least in question, and therefore other stars must be burning very differently from what we supposed before, and so on. The ramifications for stars and the sun only being a short distance away from the Earth are pretty big.

Seismologists also would be affected. Even meteorologists would have to change some of their views: weather systems wouldn't move around the south pole in the way they assume they do currently.

So I think it does make at least some difference whether the Earth is round or llama-shaped.

Why is it important?
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 01:01:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the only investigation that needs to be done in this matter is a phychiatric investigation of what could lead people to believe something that is flatly contradicted by everything that science and practicality tell us.  There is a practically unlimited supply of point by point logical arguments that point to the earth being round, and absolutely none that point to it being flat.  So why do people continue to believe that it is so?  It would be interesting to get an actual answer, whether socialogically or phychologically.