I can proove the world is round.

• 21 Replies
« on: January 18, 2007, 06:20:51 PM »
There was this show on TV. And this girl by the name of Charlene challenged the flat earth theory. She told them that if she is wrong, she is prepared to die provided she could choose the punishement. She failed to proove the round earth theory, so she said she would like to be killed by being thrown off the earth. When they had circulated they earth, they had to return her home, having been proved wrong.

The show.... Dinosours.

Episode 40: "Charlene's Flat World"
When Charlene's class is assigned to think of an original idea, her world-is-round theory falls flat, and she's tried for heresy.

http://www.impawards.com/tv/posters/dinosaurs_ver2.jpg

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 07:27:51 PM »
I remember that episode; Nicholas Copernicus was given credit for the invention of fudge brownies.

By the way, circumnavigation is still possible on a Flat Earth, because the North Pole is in the center, and the outer rim is what you call "Antarctica".

?

RESOCR

• I argue for stress relief!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 07:29:34 PM »
Quote from: "BOGWarrior89"
I remember that episode; Nicholas Copernicus was given credit for the invention of fudge brownies.

By the way, circumnavigation is still possible on a Flat Earth, because the North Pole is in the center, and the outer rim is what you call "Antarctica".

but it would require you to plot a curved course.
Quote from: ice wall gard 469320
Quote from: Tom Bishop
Atmosphere gets thinner with altitude
And so does your theory

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 07:32:13 PM »
Quote from: "RESOCR"

but it would require you to plot a curved course.

That's the general idea; have you even seen a Flat Earth map?

And what do you think a trip around a spehrical world is, a straight line?  No, it's a circle.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 07:36:25 PM »
Okay, this is getting more serious than I intended, was just a joke.

But the way, flying south would prove/disprove the theory

RE - you take off, turn the plane due south. Do not touch the controls until you pass over the south pole and keep coming up the other side. In this scenario, the curve you travel is under the belly of the plane.

FE - you take off, turn the plane due south. Do not touch the controls. You will eventually come to the ice wall (or the guards who protect it). If you were to travel in a curve, you would need to bank the aircraft in which case the curve is under the wing, not the belly.

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 07:38:34 PM »
Quote from: "jiffy"
Okay, this is getting more serious than I intended, was just a joke.

Jokes go in the Angry Rantings forum.

RE - you take off, turn the plane due south. Do not touch the controls until you pass over the south pole and keep coming up the other side. In this scenario, the curve you travel is under the belly of the plane.

FE - you take off, turn the plane due south. Do not touch the controls. You will eventually come to the ice wall (or the guards who protect it). If you were to travel in a curve, you would need to bank the aircraft in which case the curve is under the wing, not the belly.

1)  Explain this more; elaborate.
2)  The ice guards would probably shoot you down and alter your mind via drugs, causing you to get a case of amnesia.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 07:39:53 PM »
If you were to travel in a curve, you would need to bank the aircraft in which case the curve is under the wing, not the belly.
:?:

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

RESOCR

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 07:41:38 PM »
i think he is referring to which part of the aircraft is closest to the ground.
And so does your theory

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »
Go ahead and try piloting an aircraft without touching the controls and see where it gets you.  :roll:

?

RESOCR

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 08:06:16 PM »
you'll hit something, and I gauruntee it isn't a wall.
And so does your theory

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 08:09:11 PM »
you'll hit something, and I gauruntee it isn't a wall.

Well, it could be a wall, a building, water, an elderly lady out walking her dog ...

Or the ground.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 08:16:48 PM »

In a turn, this is not necessarilly true.

-- Bob Hudson

?

RESOCR

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 08:18:16 PM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"

In a turn, this is not necessarilly true.

yeah, but I guess some people dont realize that. However,

You Sir, are arguing semantics.

I was just interpreting what I could from the post
And so does your theory

?

MMMM

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 10:48:07 PM »
He is basically saying that in FE you require a bank to stay on course whereas RE you don't. You may still be curving around the earth but you don't require a bank.
What do you say to this Engineer?

beast

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 11:04:04 PM »
Nobody has ever travelled in a completely straight line around the world, and such a feat is would be very difficult to accomplish.  In fact in Round Earth theory, if you were to travel around the world due East or due West you would have to curve your path unless you travelling directly along the equator.  Imagine travelling due West standing 2 meters away from the North Poll and extrapolate that out if you don't believe me.

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 11:17:48 PM »
Jokes go in the Angry Rantings forum.
Huh? Is it just me or does this sound like a oxymoron??

1)  Explain this more; elaborate.

What I am saying is that if you travel in a straight line, you will eventually get to the ice wall or south pole (despite niggly little arguments of exact straight lines and not touching the controls etc etc etc).

On a FE, to not reach the ice wall, you would need to eventually turn 180 degrees, which is not exactly just a little bit off course.

Essentially, the fact still remains. In a FE, travelling south is travelling directly to the ice wall. In RE, travelling south is travelling to the north pole. Once you reach due south, in RE, you will begin to head north. In FE you will reach the ice wall (or have to bank turn the aircraft 180 degrees in order to head north).

?

MMMM

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 11:18:06 PM »
Quote from: "beast"
Nobody has ever travelled in a completely straight line around the world, and such a feat is would be very difficult to accomplish.  In fact in Round Earth theory, if you were to travel around the world due East or due West you would have to curve your path unless you travelling directly along the equator.  Imagine travelling due West standing 2 meters away from the North Poll and extrapolate that out if you don't believe me.

Last I thought, lines of latitude are parallel to the equator. But to go with your thinking, the equator proves the point perfectly.
Travelling a straight line is easy when you navigate off the stars.

Unfortunately I have to take off for the weekend. I look forward to your answer when I return. I'll be on a plane so I will be admiring the beautiful round earth.
Have a spherical weekend.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 11:18:24 PM »

Now, I'm not flying ace (actually I barely know a thing...), but I can almost assure you that if you never touched the controls for a couple hundred miles on a plane, you wouldn't be going in the same direction, or at least definitely not on the same course.

And anyways, there's a curve on the RE model, too. If THAT curve practically unnoticeable, are you saying that a small turn to the North every once in a while would be? For the most part, on the FE model, you're traveling in an almost-straight line.

~D-Draw

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 11:25:54 PM »
Quote from: "DiegoDraw"
Now, I'm not flying ace (actually I barely know a thing...), but I can almost assure you that if you never touched the controls for a couple hundred miles on a plane, you wouldn't be going in the same direction, or at least definitely not on the same course.
You're clutching at straws. The point I was making about not touching the control is that you do not alter your course, you continue travelling in a straight line.

Quote from: "DiegoDraw"
And anyways, there's a curve on the RE model, too. If THAT curve practically unnoticeable, are you saying that a small turn to the North every once in a while would be? For the most part, on the FE model, you're traveling in an almost-straight line.
I don't agree. As per the above post, if you were to travel south and reach the ice, in the RE, you would continue your course but you would then be travelling back up the earth (north), but on FE, to go north, you would need to do a 180 degree turn because the ice wall is right in front of you, and the south poll is directly behined you.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 11:27:21 PM »
In RE, travelling south is travelling to the north pole.

:shock:

-- Bob Hudson

beast

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 11:27:43 PM »
Quote from: "MMMM"
Quote from: "beast"

Last I thought, lines of latitude are parallel to the equator. But to go with your thinking, the equator proves the point perfectly.
Travelling a straight line is easy when you navigate off the stars.

Unfortunately I have to take off for the weekend. I look forward to your answer when I return. I'll be on a plane so I will be admiring the beautiful round earth.
Have a spherical weekend.

So you're saying that if I'm standing 2 meters from the North Poll, I can walk in a straight line directly West all the way around the world?  How does that work?  In fact if I'm 1 meter away from the Equator, how is that any different from being 1 meter away from the north poll?  Obviously the circle that you're travelling in is a great deal bigger, but it is still impossible for your path not to be curved.

Now you say that it is easy to travel in a straight line navigating off the stars.  Unfortunately this completely does not take into account the many problems of wind direction, current direction, land forms etc, which account for the fact that nobody has ever travelled around the world in a straight line as advocated in this topic.  It is entirely an impractical experiment that could not be done, even if we had the resources to attempt it.

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 12:58:04 AM »
In a RE model, the world is sphere. It doesn't matter where you are or which direction you travel, as long as you continue to travel in the same direction, you will end up where you started.

Similarly, in the FE, it doesn't matter which direction you travel, eventually you will reach the ice wall.

Planes travel in a straight line every day of the week. The only difference is the distance.