Bible verses proving Flat Earth?

• 47 Replies

The_Heeter

• Globe earth is the ONLY earth
Bible verses proving Flat Earth?
« on: April 12, 2019, 06:13:04 AM »
As a christian, I always found this one a little hard to believe. I've read the bible, in multiple versions, and never saw anything that could be construed as saying the earth is flat. However, I'm often slapped in the face with the claim that the bible states the earth is flat. The only things I've seen that could perhaps point to this are the mentions of "the four corners/quarters of the earth." which is written Isaiah and Revelations. However, wouldn't this mean the earth were square, and not a disc?

I'm not for sure if any on this site believe in this theory, but if you do, please respond.
Globe earth is the ONLY earth

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
Re: Bible verses proving Flat Earth?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 09:21:39 AM »
Rabinoz and his alts are in my ignore list but I want to mention for public:

1 Chronicles 16:30
1 Samuel 2:8
Isaiah 11:12
Isaiah 40:22
Job 26:7
Job 26:10
Job 28:24
Job 37:3
Job 37:18
Matthew 4:8
Proverbs 8:27
Psalm 75:3
Psalm 93:1
Psalm 104:5
Revelation 7:1

All of them are strong, but My favorites are

Isaiah 40:22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.

Revelation 7: 1 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 09:26:43 AM »
The Bible is the word of man.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 09:32:10 AM »
So, rabinoz is an atheist, right?
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

?

non-flatearther

• rational crtical thinking
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 10:02:52 AM »
Well you can translate Bible many ways because it is very very metaphoric book. Also there are many mistakes or misunderstood in translate so the best is to read in hebrew. And also bible was written by men and they could write there what they imagined.
Before you can talk to me learn physics.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 10:19:00 AM »
As a christian, I always found this one a little hard to believe. I've read the bible, in multiple versions, and never saw anything that could be construed as saying the earth is flat. However, I'm often slapped in the face with the claim that the bible states the earth is flat. The only things I've seen that could perhaps point to this are the mentions of "the four corners/quarters of the earth." which is written Isaiah and Revelations. However, wouldn't this mean the earth were square, and not a disc?

I'm not for sure if any on this site believe in this theory, but if you do, please respond.

There aren't many Biblical FE here, but I think this might help you understand https://www.lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm  The author of this paper isn't a flat earther.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

The_Heeter

• Globe earth is the ONLY earth
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 12:14:07 PM »

Isaiah 40:22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.

Revelation 7: 1 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree

First of all: not Rabs alt account, I've just been lurking for a number of years and only recently decided to really join.

Now onto the verses: As for the Revelation verse, I think you may be taking it a little too literally. the four corners of the earth is a very common phrase, even today. It doesn't actually mean the earth has corners, its just a figure of speech used to convey the idea that they are all over the earth.

Matthew: This is most likely another figure of speech. Think of the Lion King, when Mufasa takes Simba to the top of pride rock. Hes not showing him the WHOLE kingdom, its just a vast area he is shown to give him some perspective.

Isaiah: Again, likely not to be taken literally. You have to remember that people in these times were not the highest in education, so a metaphore is used to convey the meaning .
Globe earth is the ONLY earth

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 01:10:51 PM »

Depends upon the Bible translation. Example, so far I've found “circle”, "throne”, “vault”, “horizon”, “whole”, even “globe” & “disk”.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 01:13:48 PM »
You should read this link from someone who has actually studied this https://www.lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

JackBlack

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 01:54:40 PM »
As a christian, I always found this one a little hard to believe. I've read the bible, in multiple versions, and never saw anything that could be construed as saying the earth is flat.
First I would like to say that the Bible cannot prove Earth is flat. If the Bible says Earth is flat, then it is wrong.

As for verses that indicate Earth is flat, there are quite a few, which can easily be found by using Google. Even using sites which try to refute that idea.
Some verses indicate Earth has 4 corners, which makes no sense for a globe, but are often dismissed as more poetic talking.
But there are others, for example, we have Jesus being taken to the top of a tall mountain to be shown all the Kingdoms of Earth, physically impossible unless Earth was flat.
But perhaps the best is that found in Isaiah.
It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in;
This as a simple interpretation without trying to twist it to mean otherwise, indicates that Earth is flat, or mostly flat, with the heavens acting as a dome. There is literally no reason, from the Bible itself, to think otherwise. The only reason people have to think otherwise is because Earth is not flat and they think the Bible can't be wrong, so they need some way to pretend it isn't.
Yes, there are many translations, often by Chrsitians that want the Bible to be perfect who are happy to twist it to their liking.
They "above" part makes no sense in the context of a ball or globe, and the Hewbrews had a much better word for a globe than what translates to circle as they already had balls.

There are also weaker links, like in Genesis where God was creating the world taking days with evening passing and morning coming.
Unless god was only focusing on a single part of the world and ignoring the rest, that doesn't work for a globe. (and lets ignore the fact that you had day and night before the sun).

You then have other issues which match what often goes hand in hand with a FE (and contradicted by it with UA), that of Earth being fixed and stationary. Many FEers claim Earth is fixed and use that as an argument against the globe model, even though it is actually against the HC model (which typically has Earth being round).

The simple fact is that the Biblical depiction of the universe does not match the current scientific model of the universe.
So the options are to discard science like FEers, discard the Bible like non-Christians, pretend the Bible says something else, or accept the Bible is not a collection of inerrant facts, which is effectively discarding the Bible, while pretending to hold on to it.
Personally, I don't think a perfect God would make such mistakes with its holy book, even if those mistakes are just misinterpretation.

You should read this link from someone who has actually studied this https://www.lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm
Thanks for that. It is a nice site, with some verses I didn't know about.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 02:43:09 PM »

We have some very learned Ministers at our church , many of whom have Doctorates in Theology.
One in particular is very familiar with the ancient Hebrew .
The misconception of FE's seems to be mistranslation of the world "circle" as meaning "flat Earth" ,which is entirely false.
The Hebrew word could have just as well be translated as "sphere" ,  "orb", or even  "globe".
Also, there was no Hebrew word for globe in the time the original Scriptures were written.
There are many other instances of why those who are not experts who are not familiar with many other aspects may interpret many passages to their own opinions and ideas.
Taken account of context, metaphorically and written in the language of the times for some  examples.

I'm just quoting what I have heard.
So I am assuming FE's will just deny all this and discount as "hearsay evidence."
But the bottom line is that the Bible no where States that the earth is flat or round or of any shape.
Of course this deep study is far beyond those of us who are just ordinary lay people .
As Sherlock Holmes once said  "If your roof leaks, you call a roofer."
In other words if you want to get an expert's opinion, you call an expert.
It really gets complicated .
And finally the original words the original writers did not write  in King James English.  They were mostly written in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek and other languages.
So translation can become bit of a "sticky wickett."  (That was also a Minister's recent quote.)
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 03:16:20 PM »

Well don’t take the Devil’s word for anything.  I’ve seen enough films to know that’s never going to end well.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 04:05:08 PM »
Rabinoz and his alts are is in my ignore list but I want to mention for public:

1 Chronicles 16:30, 1 Samuel 2:8, Isaiah 11:12, Isaiah 40:22, Job 26:7, Job 26:10, Job 28:24, Job 37:3, Job 37:18, Matthew 4:8, Proverbs 8:27, Psalm 75:3, Psalm 93:1, Psalm 104:5, Revelation 7:1

You might read what I actually wrote: Flat Earth General / Re: Can this disprove the Flat Earth possibility? « Message by rabinoz on January 04, 2019, 08:48:14 PM »

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 01:17:47 AM »

I read Schadewald's The Plane Truth a ways back, very informative. But it didn't get down to chapter and verse. His essay you linked seems more specific, thanks.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 05:32:31 AM »

Well don’t take the Devil’s word for anything.  I’ve seen enough films to know that’s never going to end well.

Wut? It is bible, not Devil's word. Bible says Devil's showing him, not says Devil's saying him. Read verse again. Stop to be an atheist, there is God.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 05:59:11 AM »
Wut? It is bible, not Devil's word. Bible says Devil's showing him, not says Devil's saying him. Read verse again. Stop to be an atheist, there is God.
But what mountain in Isreal could anyone see even the whole flat earth from - none!
And if it needed Divine powers to see all the flat earth then those same powers could see all the Globe.

But note that it is written, "the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor".
It did not say "all of the world" and I could easily believe that "all the kingdoms of the world" there meant no more than in their local region.
But, whatever the case, it proves nothing at all!

Heavenly Breeze

• Pegasus from Gaul
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 11:13:16 AM »
Rabinoz - Well, you always say nonsense.
Here is another strong argument.
When Jesus comes, everyone will see him at the same time! With my own eyes, his one in one place. Will you say this too can the globe?
The earth believes, because magic exists!

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 01:49:58 PM »
Rabinoz - Well, you always say nonsense.
Here is another strong argument.
When Jesus comes, everyone will see him at the same time! With my own eyes, his one in one place. Will you say this too can the globe?
Some people I know are of the opinion that they will all see Him on the TV at the same time where ever they are whether it might be noon at one place or midnight on the other side of the world at their home on the globe.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:58:18 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

JackBlack

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 04:10:56 PM »
We have some very learned Ministers at our church , many of whom have Doctorates in Theology.
You mean some dishonest ones that are quite happy to lie to their flock of sheep to pretend the Bible isn't full of errors?

The misconception of FE's seems to be mistranslation of the world "circle" as meaning "flat Earth" ,which is entirely false.
The Hebrew word could have just as well be translated as "sphere" ,  "orb", or even  "globe".
No it couldn't.
Again, the only reason people pretend that is to pretend the Bible doesn't contradict reality.

Also, there was no Hebrew word for globe in the time the original Scriptures were written.
Are you seriously trying to tell people that they didn't have a word for a ball?
Even though in other places they have a word that was translated to a pull, such as Issaiah 22:18?
Not to mention that there are plenty of far more fitting words for a ball?
Are you suggesting your god is so incompetent that it couldn't have given them a word for "ball" or "sphere" or "globe" and clearly explained what it meant?

Not to mention it isn't just a case of saying it is a circle. Instead it is saying that God sits above this circle.

Again, it is quite clear that the Bible is depicting Earth as flat.
The only reason to say otherwise is because Earth isn't flat and you don't want the Bible to be wrong.

If you want to try using an expert get one that doesn't have a vested interest in pretend the Bible is true. Just how many preachers do you know of that will openly admit that their holy book is full of errors?
Those that do are the ones that have likely gone through the training to become a minister (or part of it anyway) and realised just how full of mistakes their holy book is and then discarded it and their religion.

It isn't the Devil's word. It is an account of what the devil did. Big difference.

Also, going by the Bible, the Devil sure seems to be the more trustworthy one. Right at the start, God lies to Adam and Eve and then the devil/serpent comes and tells the truth, which is later confirmed by God.

But what mountain in Isreal could anyone see even the whole flat earth from - none!
Well, if Earth was flat, almost any.
Just how high do you think you need to go to see all of a flat surface.
How high above a flat table do you need to be to see it all?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2019, 06:40:40 PM »
Well, if Earth was flat, almost any.
Just how high do you think you need to go to see all of a flat surface.
How high above a flat table do you need to be to see it all?
1) There is a limited visibility distance of some 300 km at low altitudes and maybe more from a very high mountain.
2) Even the flat earth is not a "flat table".
So you see how far you could see in all directions from any mountain in Israel or even Mt Everest.
I'm afraid that wise takes all those words quite literally and I don't.

Heavenly Breeze

• Pegasus from Gaul
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2019, 10:59:08 PM »
Some people I know are of the opinion that they will all see Him on the TV at the same time where ever they are whether it might be noon at one place or midnight on the other side of the world at their home on the globe.

Do you yourself believe in what you say? Your words do not make sense.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 07:46:42 AM »

One in particular is very familiar with the ancient Hebrew .
There are many other instances of why those who are not experts who are not familiar with many other aspects may interpret many passages to their own opinions and ideas.
Taken account of context, metaphorically and written in the language of the times for some  examples.

I'm just quoting what I have heard.
So I am assuming FE's will just deny all this and discount as "hearsay evidence."
But the bottom line is that the Bible no where States that the earth is flat or round or of any shape.
Of course this deep study is far beyond those of us who are just ordinary lay people .
As Sherlock Holmes once said  "If your roof leaks, you call a roofer."
In other words if you want to get an expert's opinion, you call an expert.
It really gets complicated .
And finally the original words the original writers did not write  in King James English.  They were mostly written in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek and other languages.
So translation can become bit of a "sticky wickett."  (That was also a Minister's recent quote.)

It is what all scholars do, because of they don't want to contradict the science and became a laughing stock; so that they deny the fact. They think the earth is round. They have convinced its being round. People are asking them to disprove bible and prove bible's conradicting reality, so that they gave up defend the reality of bible and force verses till become accordingly to globe earth fakery.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »
Matthew 13:13 This is why I speak to them in parables:
“Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand."

The Bible was not meant to speak to us of the way things are on a physical level but rather on a spiritual, anyone who uses the Bible to tell us things about anything physical is a deceiver. We do not hear and we do not understand when the truth is spoken to us so it must be given by another direction so that we can comprehend the spirit of what is said.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2019, 07:48:09 PM »

Do you yourself believe in what you say? Your words do not make sense.
I'm staying neutral on what I have posted.
I'm just posting what I have heard.
You can just take it for what it's worth or just "hearsay" as previously mentioned.

Chorus:

Heavenly Breeze

• Pegasus from Gaul
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2019, 08:05:19 PM »
Vanyel - The Bible explains not only ordinary physics, but even quantum mechanics.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2019, 08:06:25 PM »
I am probably very naive and have had very little in my own personal experiences, but until I chanced upon this website I had never heard of anyone who believed the earth was flat.

And I will admit this is a rather small group  - neighbors , relatives, fellow classmates , fellow church members, fellow members of hobby clubs  and fellow co-workers in the military, private industry and civil service. Everyone knew the earth is a globe.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:10:57 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Heavenly Breeze

• Pegasus from Gaul
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2019, 08:07:47 PM »
You can just take it for what it's worth or just "hearsay" as previously mentioned.

Not a question.
But in my opinion, those people cannot be believers, so they say. These are the words of the townsfolk. Sorry if not said so ..
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:10:32 PM by Heavenly Breeze »

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2019, 08:14:32 PM »

Not a question.
But in my opinion, those people cannot be believers, so they say. These are the words of the townsfolk. Sorry if not said so ..
Well.........A lot of FE's  are saying they are the only true Believers. ???
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:16:50 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Heavenly Breeze

• Pegasus from Gaul
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2019, 08:17:06 PM »
I am probably very naive and have had very little in my own personal experiences, but until I chanced upon this website I had never heard of anyone who believed the earth was flat.
No one knows what our land is. You will get a strange result by trying to merge - a flat horizon and pictures from space. How space and time behaves - if we can change it, as Jesus told us. Thought about it? If the mountains begin to fall into the sea and objects materialize. What should be our world?

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2019, 09:16:32 PM »
No one knows what our land is.
Baloney!  Only Flat Earthers, conspiracy theorists, and bible-misinterpreters don't seem to know.