Bible verses proving Flat Earth?

• 47 Replies
Re: Bible verses proving Flat Earth?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 10:39:20 PM »
No one knows what our land is.
Baloney!  Only Flat Earthers, conspiracy theorists, and bible-misinterpreters don't seem to know.

People who work in fields such as oceanic or aeronautical fields.....or many others in the real world......have to KNOW.
And people who are very serious students of the interpretation of the Bible KNOW that the Bible doesn't say the earth is flat
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 12:59:00 AM »
Matthew 13:13 This is why I speak to them in parables:
“Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand."
That is Jesus, in the Bible.
By your reasoning, why not just assume Jesus himself was a parable, rather than a real person? Why assume it is talking about things (such as what Jesus did and said) on a physical level?
If you don't want that, why assume it applies to anything in the Bible other than what Jesus says?

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 04:32:57 AM »
Matthew 13:13 This is why I speak to them in parables:
“Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand."
That is Jesus, in the Bible.
By your reasoning, why not just assume Jesus himself was a parable, rather than a real person? Why assume it is talking about things (such as what Jesus did and said) on a physical level?
If you don't want that, why assume it applies to anything in the Bible other than what Jesus says?
Who says that I do? The Bible is meant to be a lesson on how to live your life, not a painstaking account of history or science, anyone that says it describes anything outside that is seeing what they want to. Though hearing, they do not understand. They look for what it is they want to read one way or another but there is no such claim anywhere in the Bible. The Bible is a lesson. The Bible describes a role model. It does not need to serve as anything more than that, to your soul it does not matter what the shape of the Earth is. Render under Caesar what is Caesar's and let the Bible have focus on its own field. Whether Jesus walked the world in flesh and blood or only as a spiritual example caused by divine inspiration has no bearing on the quality of the lessons God teaches.

Hebrews 8:1-6 Now the main point of what we are saying is this: We do have such a high priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, and who serves in the sanctuary, the true tabernacle set up by the Lord, not by a mere human being.Every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices, and so it was necessary for this one also to have something to offer. If he were on earth, he would not be a priest, for there are already priests who offer the gifts prescribed by the law. They serve at a sanctuary that is a copy and shadow of what is in heaven. This is why Moses was warned when he was about to build the tabernacle: “See to it that you make everything according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.” But in fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises.

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 01:39:01 PM »
Who says that I do? The Bible is meant to be a lesson on how to live your life, not a painstaking account of history or science, anyone that says it describes anything outside that is seeing what they want to.
I would say it is the other way around.
There is no reason to think it is not meant to be describing reality as it allegedly happened, with the exception of a few places like Psalms.
It just doesn't match reality so people see what they want to rather than admit it is wrong.

It contains so many ridiculous details that are completely useless for a book just trying to tell you how to live your life.
Sure, giving a few characters names is great, so we have Adam and Steve and Cain and Able, but then why do we need to know about Enoch, Irad, Me-hu'ja-el,  Me-thu'sha-el, Lamech, Adah, Zillah, Jabal, Jubal, Tubal-cain, Na'amah, Seth, Enosh, Kenan, Ma-hal'alel, Jared, Enoch, Methy'selah and Lamech before finally getting to Noah?

For the line of Seth (including Adam), why give how long each one lived for?
None of these details make any sense in a book designed to just be a fairy tale for how to live your life. It only makes sense as either a very detailed fictional universe, or an alleged accounting of actual history.

The only reason people seem to think otherwise is because the Bible is wrong. Lots of people don't like the Bible being wrong, so they don't want to read it in any way which will result in it being wrong. Instead they will read it and manipulate it however they please to pretend it is correct.

And again, if you so desperately want it to just be a lesson rather than an actual account of what happened, what makes you think that God isn't just a part of that lesson, rather than anything real?

Your position makes no sense at all.

Heavenly Breeze

• Weather Pegasus
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 11:24:04 AM »
Well ... lowered his ear. JackBlack - you are good at psychology. This is commendable, the experience of so many discussions has its advantages, however ... Maybe you heard the expression - to find out the truth behind the truth? You lose the point of saying that the Bible is a fairy tale, and people who believe in what is written there are not at all mistaken. If the Bible were just a story for children ... Then, I would not see the real angels standing in front of me.
And every day I am shown the future and answer questions. So I physically hear the answers. Can you manage material things in this world? Or can you boast that you know how much you have left to live here? I would not advise you to talk like this about the Bible, this is a book for practical, not only understanding of this world, but also a book that teaches to control our physical world with the help of your word, which I practice every day. And you know - it works for all 110%

That is why I say again, the Bible tells us how our world works, how to control it, and how it looks. And do not worry, he is not a ball at all. A has 4 corners! How? Because he is not a flat world. I have already argued - flat earthlings that they are wrong! The Bible does not speak of flat land. It is about a completely different!
Believers in the ball, and flat land - do not love me. I feel sorry for them. Only after you finish your efforts, you can find the truth behind the truth!

Sorry - for the translation. it's not quite accurate, probably ... I waved my tail.

Are you sure that the earth is not such?

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 01:58:44 PM »
Maybe you heard the expression - to find out the truth behind the truth?
I have heard it.
The issue is how people apply it. Christians trying to find the "truth behind the truth" of the Bible aren't actually doing so.
They want their god to be real and their religion to be true and are just looking for ways to dismiss the parts which don't work or they don't like. When they come up with an excuse, they don't then apply it to the Bible in its entirety and instead just cherry pick which parts to apply it to.

Then, I would not see the real angels standing in front of me.
Your hallucinations prove nothing.
Unless you can show that they re real angels, it is worthless.

this is a book for practical, not only understanding of this world, but also a book that teaches to control our physical world
No it isn't.
Some people just desperately want to pretend it is perfect.

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 03:20:22 PM »
I've read the bible, in multiple versions, and never saw anything that could be construed as saying the earth is flat.

It's just a book. It's not evidence for anything.
The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

Heavenly Breeze

• Weather Pegasus
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2019, 08:44:20 PM »
Your hallucinations prove nothing.
Unless you can show that they re real angels, it is worthless.
Pony - do not use drugs.
So you can think whatever you want, if you do not believe that angels exist.

The Bible is not just a book, it says about the structure of our world.

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2019, 09:16:06 PM »
The Bible is not just a book, it says about the structure of our world.
The Bible is just a book. The only thing special about it is how many people cling to it and praise it.
It is also somewhat amazing how much they lie about it to pretend it is so great.

Heavenly Breeze

• Weather Pegasus
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2019, 09:06:08 AM »
he Bible is just a book. The only thing special about it is how many people cling to it and praise it.
It is also somewhat amazing how much they lie about it to pretend it is so great.

Fuh, I do not beat half my forehead. But you "got" - it was "got" because of your desire to refute everything. Since I am not a fanatic of religion, for me it is something else, and it is real. Leave your pompous phrases for others. As for you, our reality is in a set of images, and for me. Do not talk about all the same! You have no right to say that. In general, look here - informative even for you.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2019, 03:09:10 PM »
because of your desire to refute everything.
I don't have a desire to refute everything. I have a desire for the truth.

it is real.
Yes it is real. It is a real book, with real pages, with real text; but what it describes is mostly fiction with little bits of reality thrown in.

You have no right to say that.
Why not?
If people kept their nonsense to themselves I wouldn't say anything about it.
When people start spouting it in public, including a public forum like this, I have every right to speak out against it.

Heavenly Breeze

• Weather Pegasus
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2019, 08:17:06 PM »
« Reply #40 on: Today at 03:09:10 PM »
Quote from: Heavenly Breeze on Today at 09:06:08 AM
because of your desire to refute everything.
I don't have a desire to refute everything. I have a desire for the truth.

it is real.
Yes it is real. It is a real book, with real pages, with real text; but what it describes is mostly fiction with little bits of reality thrown in.

You have no right to say that.
Why not?
If people kept their nonsense to themselves I wouldn't say anything about it.
When people start spouting it in public, including a public forum like this, I have every right to speak out against it.

Sorry, the translator is completely useless for translation from Russian. I did not mean in the last post - judging by your answers. It is a pity that you can not write in Russian.

Omega

• Debating honestly even if no-one else will
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2019, 03:04:49 AM »
As a christian, I always found this one a little hard to believe. I've read the bible, in multiple versions, and never saw anything that could be construed as saying the earth is flat. However, I'm often slapped in the face with the claim that the bible states the earth is flat. The only things I've seen that could perhaps point to this are the mentions of "the four corners/quarters of the earth." which is written Isaiah and Revelations. However, wouldn't this mean the earth were square, and not a disc?

I'm not for sure if any on this site believe in this theory, but if you do, please respond.

Would it matter if it did? Every bible scholar agrees the current book we call the bible is a compilation of writings, curated by men and woman over the ages. Sometimes books where added, sometimes they were dropped. The books we now call the bible are written from the perspective of their time, and then translated and retold thousands of times. The slightest change in phrasing can cause massively different interpretations.

Even if you believe the bible is the word of god, and she somehow kept the book together the way she wanted it, it's still open to so much interpretation that it's impossible to draw scientific conclusions about the nature of our world.

Not saying people should abandon their faith or abandon the bible. That's a deeply personal thing. But at least agree that it's demonstrably at least partly a man-made thing with the ambiguity that comes with that.
Only thing round in FE is its circular logic.

Bullwinkle

• Flat Earth Curator
  • "Umm, WTF ???"
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2019, 11:35:04 PM »
Any Message needs to be fined tuned over the life of the product. 
KFC never says Fried.
RE can never win this argument.
FE can't be disproved.

Omega

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2019, 02:19:20 AM »
KFC never says Fried.

Surely, if Gods message needs fine-tuning, she's not omniscient.

Also, if you allow for the fine-tuning of the word of God, you can never take her word literally.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2019, 02:54:48 AM »
KFC never says Fried.

Also, if you allow for the fine-tuning of the word of God, you can never take her word literally.
Maybe it's not "the fine-tuning of the word of God" but that the word of God was never intended to teach science, including cosmology.

I do not think that Scripture is intended to spoon-feed us with the "Theory of Everything". Mankind has been given the ability to find this knowledge from studying "Nature".

Galileo was, of course, referring to Geocentrism vs Heliocentrism issue but on this issue he argued that God wrote two books:
Quote from: Kelly James Clark
Science and Religion: Two Books
Galileo argued that God has written two books — the Book of Nature and the Book of Scripture — and that these two books do not, because they cannot, contradict. That means that if one has a well-established scientific explanation of the physical world that seems to contradict a passage of Scripture, one has good reason to reconsider one’s interpretation of Scripture. The surface meaning of the Bible may not be its true meaning.
<< see the rest for more detail >>
Galileo's letter can be found at: Letter to the Grand Duchess Christina of Tuscany (1615) (abridged) by Galileo Galilei
Is this part of the intent of "the knowledge of good and evil"?

Bullwinkle

• Flat Earth Curator
  • "Umm, WTF ???"
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2019, 03:33:32 AM »
KFC never says Fried.

Ummm, duh?
RE can never win this argument.
FE can't be disproved.

Omega

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2019, 05:02:51 AM »
KFC never says Fried.

Maybe it's not "the fine-tuning of the word of God" but that the word of God was never intended to teach science, including cosmology.

Obviously. Religious texts are about giving people some kind of structure and rules and to give those rules some sort of authority.

"Dude, don't kill that guy."
"Why not?"
"Because I said so."
"I don't care what you said. You're not the boss of me!"

versus

"Dude, don't kill that guy."
"Why not?"
"Because God puts people who don't obey her rules in an eternal torture chamber."
"... Can I at least hit him a little bit?"
"Why?"
"He believes in another god..."
"Kill the unbeliever!"