Flat Earthers are giving conspiracy theorists a bad name

• 28 Replies
Flat Earthers are giving conspiracy theorists a bad name
« on: March 06, 2019, 11:09:26 AM »
This is almost funny.  Over on Reddit, in the Conspiracy Theory sub, they are complaining the Flat Earthers are giving true conspiracy theories a bad name.  Reason being that FE claims are so obviously bogus (as opposed to their "genuine" conspiracy theories that have some supposed threads of plausibility), yet still garnering as much attention as they do., that they cause the public to believe all conspiracies are as blatantly fraudulent as the flat earth stuff.

You can read about it  https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/axpzbu/flat_earth_is_a_psyop_intended_to_conflate_those
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:14:25 AM by Platonius21 »

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
Re: Flat Earthers are giving conspiracy theorists a bad name
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 11:27:23 AM »
I notice whenever Flat Earth Theory is posted about or talked about on reddit, Flat Earthers are always massively downvoted, and the only visible Flat Earthers are usually some nutter with a camera posting on Youtube. Hardly a good format for talking about controversial ideas.

Reasonable Flat Earthers rarely get fair coverage, especially not on reddit. That latest Netflix documentary is a great example of the malpractice Flat Earth Theory gets in the media.

rvlvr

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 12:40:52 PM »
Where are the good Flat Earthers? Why do we not see or hear from them?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 12:53:58 PM »

You can't see us (or hear us) but you post with us all the time.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 01:02:08 PM »
I notice whenever Flat Earth Theory is posted about or talked about on reddit, Flat Earthers are always massively downvoted, and the only visible Flat Earthers are usually some nutter with a camera posting on Youtube. Hardly a good format for talking about controversial ideas.

Reasonable Flat Earthers rarely get fair coverage, especially not on reddit. That latest Netflix documentary is a great example of the malpractice Flat Earth Theory gets in the media.
Do you mean reasonable flat-earthers like those making these posts:
     The strongest arguments of the flat earth theory
     Advanced Flat Earth Theory « Reply #410 on: August 09, 2017, 07:07:14 AM »
I'd love to see the reaction to "EARTH - SUN DISTANCE: 15-20 KILOMETERS The Sun's diameter is some 600 meters."
     Advanced Flat Earth Theory « on: July 15, 2009, 12:59:41 AM » which claims:
Christ was crucified at Constantinople some 260 years ago, and the falsification of each and every known religious text begun soon after, in the period 1775-1790 AD.

The Deluge occurred some 310 years ago; while the dinosaurs were created a few decades earlier,
after Adam and Eve joined the one million pairs of humans which already were living beyond the Garden of Eden.

It would seem that "Reasonable Flat Earthers" like the authors of the above "rarely get fair coverage" and possibly it's just as well!

rvlvr

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 01:09:07 PM »

This forum is FE’s best way to let the people know?!

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 01:11:14 PM »
Is there a good flat earther who can describe how a sextant or equatorial mount works on either FE or RE? Never did get a straight answer. Depends on the definition of "good". Maybe a "good" FE is one wise enough to not answer questions when they don't have a good answer.
Is it possible for something to be both true and unproven?

Are things that are true and proven any different from things that are true but not proven?

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »
Where are the good Flat Earthers?
There are numerous long time Flat Earthers that have been active in promoting Flat Earth Theory. Daniel Shenton, John Davis, Tom Bishop. But the Flat Earth community is large and decentralized, spread across many websites.

Why do we not see or hear from them?
I don't know, look in better places.

Do you mean reasonable flat-earthers like [insert two crazy people]?
No, I don't mean them. As a general rule, if someone is talking about cherry picked examples you shouldn't try and cherry pick more examples.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:35:45 PM by Benjamin Franklin »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 01:49:59 PM »

This forum is the best way for people to interact with flat earthers. We're not trying to spread it like a religion, but if you want to talk to us, here we are.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 02:29:44 PM »

This forum is the best way for people to interact with flat earthers. We're not trying to spread it like a religion, but if you want to talk to us, here we are.
Well put.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 02:44:14 PM »
If you are not trying to spread it as a religion, why does your tag line say "official FE recruiter"?

Is it possible for something to be both true and unproven?

Are things that are true and proven any different from things that are true but not proven?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »
Space cowgirl is a round earther, iirc.. Its just her tag line. You can add one that says whatever you want.

I would chock it up to humour. We have a sense of humour. Its best to keep that in mind as you read over the forums.

Though I suppose its best to let her speak for herself

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 02:54:27 PM »
There are numerous long time Flat Earthers that have been active in promoting Flat Earth Theory. Daniel Shenton, John Davis, Tom Bishop. But the Flat Earth community is large and decrentalized, spread across many websites.
The most anyone could get out of Tom Bishop as a defense of Flat Earth Theory was "Look out your window." I wouldn't exactly call him a boon to the movement.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 03:01:34 PM »
If you are not trying to spread it as a religion, why does your tag line say "official FE recruiter"?

I haven't seen religious recruiters with an official recruiter tagline.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 03:58:16 PM »

I must tell Sandokhan and Scrappy that they are "two crazy people" next time I reply to them.

And does Tom Bishop give any more than "It looks flat"?

rvlvr

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 09:21:15 PM »
There are numerous long time Flat Earthers that have been active in promoting Flat Earth Theory. Daniel Shenton, John Davis, Tom Bishop. But the Flat Earth community is large and decrentalized, spread across many websites.
”Decentralized” seems to mean all over the place, in this case.

But yes: them redditors appear the have the same view I have. FE is quite laughable, and it does not help the movement lacks individuals people find worthy of listening to. (This in no way meaning other conspiracy theories are that much better. Still, they seem better formulated in most cases.)

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 09:52:50 PM »
”Decentralized” seems to mean all over the place, in this case.

But yes: them redditors appear the have the same view I have. FE is quite laughable, and it does not help the movement lacks individuals people find worthy of listening to. (This in no way meaning other conspiracy theories are that much better. Still, they seem better formulated in most cases.)
The flat-earth conspiracy has to be all-encompassing, including people from the astronauts themselves to those installing satellite TV and Internet antennae.
Some have estimated this to total many millions who must "keep their mouths shut". So who pays them off?

And this so few "crazy people" (Benjamin Franklin's own words for Sandokhan and sceptimatic) can hold a "different" view.
See:

But the worst part is that, especially on YouTube where there are many many more flat-earthers than here), so many flat-earthers call "globers" liars, deceivers, paid NASA shills and even Satanists.

rvlvr

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 10:45:09 PM »
Flat Earth has two things going for it:
1) It looks flat
2) Old documents say it is flat

Those two cannot be denied. Looking outside your window it does look pretty flat, and it is true some old documents state we are living on a flat disc.

That’s about it.

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 05:19:05 AM »

But the worst part is that, especially on YouTube where there are many many more flat-earthers than here), so many flat-earthers call "globers" liars, deceivers, paid NASA shills and even Satanists.

Real flat earthers, you mean.

With the Space Cowgirl bombshell, the list of people here I think might actually be genuine flat earthers is hovering dangerously close to zero.  At least those posting on the upper forums.

If you look at older threads, there seem to be far more.  I think we’ve overrun this place, tbh.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 05:30:38 AM »

Real flat earthers, you mean.

With the Space Cowgirl bombshell, the list of people here I think might actually be genuine flat earthers is hovering dangerously close to zero.  At least those posting on the upper forums.

If you look at older threads, there seem to be far more.  I think we’ve overrun this place, tbh.
There always were plenty of "Globularists ;)" but so many of the flat earthers have left, I wonder why?

The number of flat-earthers here and at TFES.org is almost negligible compared to the"YouTube Flat-Earth Community".
That's where the action is and most either ignore or ridicule this place.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 06:48:35 AM »
What Space Cowgirl bombshell? I am FE.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 06:56:07 AM »

JD said he thought you were RE the other day. But he said it in a very non-committal way. Not really a bombshell.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 07:17:20 AM »
but so many of the flat earthers have left, I wonder why?

Probably on account of so many of you being insufferable.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 07:35:45 AM »

JD said he thought you were RE the other day. But he said it in a very non-committal way. Not really a bombshell.

Round earthers are so dramatic.

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 07:56:40 AM »
I prefer melodramatic, if it’s all the same to you.

Good to hear that was an error.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 09:46:09 AM »

ok what about this
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »
The anti vaccine conspiracy gives conspiracy theories a bad name, also Alex Jones shouting at a pile of poop gives conspiracy theorists a bad name.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 10:18:31 PM »

ok what about this
What about it?
  • At 0:45 it claims that "CAMERA HEIGHT APPROX. 3 FT".
    If you look at the video the camera height might be 3 ft above the beach but I do not believe it is 3 ft about the water level.
    The camera might 3 ft above the beach but that beach is at least a few feet above water level.

• And what about this: FlatEarth.ws: Curvature Analysis: Anacapa Islands from Miramar Beach.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 08:44:31 AM »
Opps sorry SCG. For some reason I made the incorrect assumption!