Infinite plane + sun?

• 32 Replies
Infinite plane + sun?
« on: March 05, 2019, 11:59:02 AM »
I am curious if the infinite plane would mean that most of that plane is in pitch black darkness. I mean, if the sun and moon are "circling" over the earth, that means they only light what we know as the current world map. And then we are lucky that they hover exactly over us and not somewhere else. How does that work?

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
Re: Infinite plane + sun?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 12:21:46 PM »
Yes; though others like Samuel Shenton have suggested other livable areas might exist on the plane. Without seeing another sun though, it would be hard to support this proposition.
[John Davis is a DANGEROUS TERRORIST who MAKES US LOOK BAD

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
Yes; though others like Samuel Shenton have suggested other livable areas might exist on the plane. Without seeing another sun though, it would be hard to support this proposition.

Ah cool, I'm gonna read up on that, seems interesting.  ;)

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »
You might have trouble finding it, even in our library. He talked about it in his lectures however, and our gallery from the Shenton collection has a poster depicting this.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 10:21:57 AM »
Heh -- It's somewhere between "nobody knows", "there's an ice wall", and "You can't go there"

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:13:30 AM »
Heh -- It's somewhere between "nobody knows", "there's an ice wall", and "You can't go there"
Nope. But hey, what do I know.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 05:41:48 AM »
It would be a dark place which gets colder as you move further away from the sun until it's so cold that all the air freezes to a solid so then all of our air leaks over to fill the vacuum and also freezes until all of our air is gone and we die.

Unless you believe in the Universal Heater which keeps the infinite plane nice and toasty.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." - House

"If you could reason with flat earthers, there would be no flat earthers." - Turtles

The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

boydster

• Illegal Alien
  • Planar Moderator
  • May I have 55 words with you?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 06:21:40 AM »
It would be a dark place which gets colder as you move further away from the sun until it's so cold that all the air freezes to a solid so then all of our air leaks over to fill the vacuum and also freezes until all of our air is gone and we die.

Given your hypothesis doesn't match everyday experience (we can, in fact, still breathe), and I haven't seen a FEer make that same assertion, I think it is safe to assume that the straw man you have created here is inaccurate.
Let me explain this in a way you can understand. What you just wrote sounds exactly like something that a gay rights Portuguese Samurai would write.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 03:17:49 PM »

Given your hypothesis doesn't match everyday experience (we can, in fact, still breathe), and I haven't seen a FEer make that same assertion, I think it is safe to assume that the straw man you have created here is inaccurate.

Absolutely, we can still breath, we can't see an edge wall thousands of miles tall...that's the edge wall theory dead and buried.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." - House

"If you could reason with flat earthers, there would be no flat earthers." - Turtles

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 04:38:14 PM »
Unless you believe in the Universal Heater which keeps the infinite plane nice and toasty.
Or a geothermic one which I believe was suggested by Samuel Rowbotham when studying underwater current temperatures.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 05:07:53 PM »
Or a geothermic one which I believe was suggested by Samuel Rowbotham when studying underwater current temperatures.

Or, that both ideas are made up and lacking in evidence. It's not like Rowbotham was a trained oceanographer, I don't think messing around in drainage ditches qualifies him for anything in that area.

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 12:34:24 PM »

Or, that both ideas are made up and lacking in evidence. It's not like Rowbotham was a trained oceanographer, I don't think messing around in drainage ditches qualifies him for anything in that area.
How exactly would being a trained oceanographer help him study the temperatures of underwater currents, let alone using previously published research?

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 02:19:09 PM »
How exactly would being a trained oceanographer help him study the temperatures of underwater currents, let alone using previously published research?

Erm, not wanting to sound like I'm taking the pee, but...studying underwater currents in the ocean? That's certainly within the remit of an oceanographer.

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »
Ahh apologies. I seem to be repeatedly saying the incorrect thing - underground water currents. Sorry about that.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 02:45:33 PM »
Ahh apologies. I seem to be repeatedly saying the incorrect thing - underground water currents. Sorry about that.

Ahhhh, right OK. So he was saying there were underground water reservoirs heated by geothermal energy that keep the infinite plain warm? It's all well and good dreaming up such ideas, but what evidence is there?

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 03:26:02 PM »

Ahhhh, right OK. So he was saying there were underground water reservoirs heated by geothermal energy that keep the infinite plain warm? It's all well and good dreaming up such ideas, but what evidence is there?
Actually, he was using it to justify that we would eventually have hell on earth, or a second coming. However, aside from this which I happen to dismiss, he showed that they were warming using published publicly available research - well before the orthodoxy even thought about the question.

I'm confused as to why you are asking for evidence of 'global' warming.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 04:40:51 PM »
'Global warming' does seem a very current question. Don't you read or watch the Global :D news services?

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 05:41:23 PM »

Actually, he was using it to justify that we would eventually have hell on earth, or a second coming. However, aside from this which I happen to dismiss, he showed that they were warming using published publicly available research - well before the orthodoxy even thought about the question.

Now I'm confused as to why you think I was asking for evidence of global warming?

We were discussing how the infinite plane on a FE would be warmed but I'm pretty sure global warming wasn't mentioned (BTW, what does FE call it? Planar warming? There must be a thread somewhere about that?).

Anyway, when you say "he [Rowbotham] showed that they were warming" what is the 'they' in that sentence? If it is the Earth then yes, though I don't think they knew about 'global|planar' warming in the mid 19th century. He obviously couldn't know his hypothetical infinite plane was warming as he couldn't even provide evidence of it's existence.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 06:34:07 PM »
How does this flight fit into the Infinite Plane hypothesis? Just curious.

Polar circumnavigation of the globe: mini-documentary (1971) by Rory

Maybe someone should have told Elgen Long that you can't fly across Antarctica from Punta Arenas via the South Pole to McMurdo Base.

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 07:08:02 AM »

Now I'm confused as to why you think I was asking for evidence of global warming?

We were discussing how the infinite plane on a FE would be warmed but I'm pretty sure global warming wasn't mentioned (BTW, what does FE call it? Planar warming? There must be a thread somewhere about that?).

Anyway, when you say "he [Rowbotham] showed that they were warming" what is the 'they' in that sentence? If it is the Earth then yes, though I don't think they knew about 'global|planar' warming in the mid 19th century. He obviously couldn't know his hypothetical infinite plane was warming as he couldn't even provide evidence of it's existence.
They didn't. We did. Hence why I said he predicted it well before the orthodoxy. He provided plenty of evidence. Have you read Earth: Not A Globe?

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 04:33:21 PM »
They didn't. We did. Hence why I said he predicted it well before the orthodoxy. He provided plenty of evidence. Have you read Earth: Not A Globe?

I haven't. Is it available as a free download? Must be out of copyright by now.

boydster

• Illegal Alien
  • Planar Moderator
  • May I have 55 words with you?
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 04:42:32 PM »

I haven't. Is it available as a free download? Must be out of copyright by now.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/library/books/Earth%20Not%20a%20Globe%20(Samuel%20Rowbothan).pdf
Let me explain this in a way you can understand. What you just wrote sounds exactly like something that a gay rights Portuguese Samurai would write.

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 05:26:40 PM »
Take it with a grain of salt. Remember what old views often say that are wrong. What Newton proposed that was wrong.

It is a starting point.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 11:42:58 PM »
What Newton proposed that was wrong.
Newton proposed lots of things. Which bit was wrong?
Was it where he postulated that gravitation might be caused by aether pressure?
Or was it where he claimed that force = mass x acceleration (for a constant mass)?

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 11:45:47 PM »
I don't know. Most of the things he proposed. Have you read his body of work?

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 11:46:26 PM »
The master fudger.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 12:08:51 AM »
You don't know ::)! Right, if you don't know I'll just ignore what you say.

The master fudger.
So what are your alternate Laws of Motion and Gravitation that might be used in the design many civil, mechanical and aeronautical engineering projects.

To be useful and likely to be accepted, your alternate Laws of Motion and Gravitation must represent reality at least better than Newton's Laws.

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »

The master fudger.
So what are your alternate Laws of Motion and Gravitation that might be used in the design many civil, mechanical and aeronautical engineering projects.

To be useful and likely to be accepted, your alternate Laws of Motion and Gravitation must represent reality at least better than Newton's Laws.
For example, his universe had to be held together (or apart as it is) by the will of god. He also declared himself god's chosen. He was a student of alchemy. He was obsessed with what he considered were 'sacred' numbers, and often this made it into his serious work. He also poisoned himself with mercury and lead.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:54:42 AM by John Davis »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2019, 03:59:44 PM »

The master fudger.

For example, his universe had to be held together (or apart as it is) by the will of god.
As do many even today, especially flat earthers.

Quote from: John Davis
He also declared himself god's chosen.
What were his exact words? Newton's religious views were regarded as heretical in his day but what has that to do with the issue.

And Newton was very highly regarded by his contempories and that might be a better guide that the opinion of highly biased people of today.
                Nature, and Nature’s Laws, lay hid in Night.
                God said, Let Newton be! and All was Light.

–Alexander Pope

He was a student of alchemy. He was obsessed with what he considered were 'sacred' numbers, and often this made it into his serious work.
As were many of his age. But who are you to judge people who were simply "of their time"?

He also poisoned himself with mercury and lead.
Not intentionally but as a result of his alchemy but in Newton's day there was none of the knowledge of chemistry or atomic theory that we have today.

Now what about an answer to:

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2019, 09:32:40 PM »
There is no alternate law of gravity and motion, Its the same shit.