Infinite plane + sun?

• 10 Replies
Infinite plane + sun?
« on: March 05, 2019, 11:59:02 AM »
I am curious if the infinite plane would mean that most of that plane is in pitch black darkness. I mean, if the sun and moon are "circling" over the earth, that means they only light what we know as the current world map. And then we are lucky that they hover exactly over us and not somewhere else. How does that work?

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
Re: Infinite plane + sun?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 12:21:46 PM »
Yes; though others like Samuel Shenton have suggested other livable areas might exist on the plane. Without seeing another sun though, it would be hard to support this proposition.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
Yes; though others like Samuel Shenton have suggested other livable areas might exist on the plane. Without seeing another sun though, it would be hard to support this proposition.

Ah cool, I'm gonna read up on that, seems interesting.  ;)

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »
You might have trouble finding it, even in our library. He talked about it in his lectures however, and our gallery from the Shenton collection has a poster depicting this.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 10:21:57 AM »
Heh -- It's somewhere between "nobody knows", "there's an ice wall", and "You can't go there"

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:13:30 AM »
Heh -- It's somewhere between "nobody knows", "there's an ice wall", and "You can't go there"
Nope. But hey, what do I know.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 05:41:48 AM »
It would be a dark place which gets colder as you move further away from the sun until it's so cold that all the air freezes to a solid so then all of our air leaks over to fill the vacuum and also freezes until all of our air is gone and we die.

Unless you believe in the Universal Heater which keeps the infinite plane nice and toasty.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." - House

"If you could reason with flat earthers, there would be no flat earthers." - Turtles

The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

boydster

• Illegal Alien
  • Planar Moderator
  • May I have 55 words with you?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 06:21:40 AM »
It would be a dark place which gets colder as you move further away from the sun until it's so cold that all the air freezes to a solid so then all of our air leaks over to fill the vacuum and also freezes until all of our air is gone and we die.

Given your hypothesis doesn't match everyday experience (we can, in fact, still breathe), and I haven't seen a FEer make that same assertion, I think it is safe to assume that the straw man you have created here is inaccurate.
Your future will be filled with multi-legged scavengers, no bigger than a clenched fist.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 03:17:49 PM »

Given your hypothesis doesn't match everyday experience (we can, in fact, still breathe), and I haven't seen a FEer make that same assertion, I think it is safe to assume that the straw man you have created here is inaccurate.

Absolutely, we can still breath, we can't see an edge wall thousands of miles tall...that's the edge wall theory dead and buried.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." - House

"If you could reason with flat earthers, there would be no flat earthers." - Turtles

John Davis

• Administrator
  • Quantum Ab Hoc
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 04:38:14 PM »
Unless you believe in the Universal Heater which keeps the infinite plane nice and toasty.
Or a geothermic one which I believe was suggested by Samuel Rowbotham when studying underwater current temperatures.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 05:07:53 PM »
Or a geothermic one which I believe was suggested by Samuel Rowbotham when studying underwater current temperatures.

Or, that both ideas are made up and lacking in evidence. It's not like Rowbotham was a trained oceanographer, I don't think messing around in drainage ditches qualifies him for anything in that area.